JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Titles of St. Mary

Mary most definitely was blessed! She was honored above all other women as the one chosen to give birth to the Lord. No, she wasn't divine, but she should be held above all others because she WAS the way that Jesus became flesh and entered our world.

I think that we are afraid that somehow some religions hold Mary as equal to the Lord, when I don't believe this to be the case. Mary is asked to intervene on behalf of individuals, not to answer prayers directly!

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uncle, im a believer girl who is in love with a catholic guy but i dont find him religious as other catholics. he prays to God the father in jesus' name. but my best riend is not happy with me in love with tat guy... but i love him... its been two yrs. is it wrong? bible says about "not getting yoked" and at the same time lord jesus didnt say a thing about this. are not catholics different from the idol worshippers? the graven images told in exodus are the celestial beings in the sky, earth and under the sea only na? from the time i started knowing the world, i hav not seen many protestants truy following God. in wat way my guy is lower than them? my guy is a real good human. isnt that enough? i love him uncle... plz gimme an answer. my best friend is afraid bcos she cares... is it so?

• 4 weeks later...
Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

:rolleyes:This above references are appropriate because they are true. Mary is blessed to be chosen as Mother of God and also, she gave birth to Jesus even though she was a Virgin. She was not divine. Many people think because of reference as Blessed Virgin Mary, that is the same as saying she was divine. This is not true.

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

These titles are appropriate for Mary because they are accurate. I think we are hesitant to exalt her as blessed among women because we do not want to deify her, as some religions have done.

Mary was blessed with the opportunity to bear the most important Son that man has ever known. As with many of God's blessings, this could easily have been seen as a great burden for Mary. Firstly, there was the fact of her being betrothed to Joseph - how would she explain this child which he had no part in? Secondly, these were not wealthy people, raising a child would not be an easy task for them. Since she was willing to commit to this lengthy process, the title Mother of God is appropriate for her - Jesus was fully human and at the same time, fully God. I think that we are hesitant to exalt Mary due to the Lord's commandment that we are to 'have no other God before me'. It is difficult enough to deal with the Trinity, given that we are to worship the one true God, to add to that what could be interperted as worship of Mary is very perplexing to me.

They are appropriate for Mary because they are true statements. We are hesitant to exalt her, because she was a mere human ... she is really no more blessed than any of us who carry the Lord Jesus Christ ...and walk in the newness of life because of being born again in Him...

Amen?

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary?

Those titles describe Mary's experience of being allowed to carry God's Holy infant in her womb. She was blessed, highly favored to be chosen by God for this "assignment/opportunity", of giving Jesus life as a human being, though she was a virgin. I love the Christmas carol "Mary Did You Know?"... when you kissed your tiny baby, you kissed the face of God?" After all, she was His Mother...changed his diapers, nursed Him, bandaged his skinned knees, dried his tears...as a loving Mother does.

Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

Mary is the Mother of God and blessed to be so, but I think the danger is in exalting her to deity, as some have done, praying to her and asking her to intercede on their behalf to Jesus.....He is the Way, the Truth and the Life....the only way to the Father....Mary is not.

I think the real question is about exalting Mary as 'Mother of God' rather than her being "blessed among women."

In the following passage Elizabeth calls Mary "the mother of my Lord," not mother of God or mother of my God. I have to wonder what Elizabeth or Mary herself would say about the concept of a created human being ever being considered the Mother of Eternal God!

"In a loud voice she exclaimed: 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!'" (Luke 1:42-43)

Nowhere in Scripture is Mary called 'Mother of God,' nowhere in Scripture is Mary exalted as such and nowhere in Scripture does Mary make that claim. To the contrary, Mary's response is:

"My spirit rejoices in God my Savior." (Luke 1:47)

There is no question that Mary was both highly favored and blessed as she was the mother of Jesus Messiah, the Son of God. However, I think the title 'Mother of God' is both non-scriptural and a point of confusion. Jesus is God's Son and Mary his earthly mother, but calling Mary 'Mother of God' incorrectly implies more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

These titles are appropriate to describe who Mary was and is.

I think we hesitate because people may think we're worshipping Mary like we worship God.

• 3 weeks later...

The titles are appropriate for Mary because she was blessed to carry and give birth to our Lord and Savior, and she was the mother of our Lord and Savior. She was blessed because she was a virgin and she believed and trusted her God. I think we are hesitant to exalt her because it is hard to imagine a virgin birth in the natural state of flesh. When we get a hold of who Christ is, we can see the blessing that was on Mary's life. She was indeed very blessed . She is the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Mother of God.

• 9 months later...

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"

These titles are appropriate in their

description of who Mary was and what her

function was Mother to the child who was

Son of the Most High God.

We are sometimes hesitant to exalt her as

" blessed among women " because we know

that praise belongs to God alone. And yes

she did a great service to God and the World by bearing Jesus and putting up with

alot of criticism and living a life on the

go to avoide danger to the Child Jesus.

But worship belongs to Jesus and God and

the Holy Slpirit.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose that we are hesitant to use the titles for Mary simply because we do not want to appear "Catholic." Because of that, we miss out. Of course, Mary is no longer the "Blessed Virgin" since she and Joseph had many other children.

• 4 weeks later...

God chose this lady to be the Mother of His Son for He saw that Mary walked upright in this world. She was a virgin hense she would have been clean of any sexual sin. Could there have been any better name given than "BLESSED VIRGIN MARY" and "MOTHER OF GOD" ? God gave Mary His precious Son to give birth to and to mother, she is The Mother Of God. We might be hesitant to lift Mary up or to exalt her in fear of putting her at the same level as Christ, or close to the same level as God.She was a blessed woman, but God is to worshiped. :)

god choose this lady to be jesus mother,and he found favor in her so yes she should be called the mother of my lord?mary was blessed among woman in that she was privilege of bearing the messiah.we all need to remeber that mary foun f favor in god,so yes i believe in mary and our lord god she is a wonderfull mother to our lord.

Mary was indeed blessed among women. I believe she was of exceptional virtue and well acquainted with scripture. However she was still a sinner needing a savior. She was the one God choose to bear His Son to be that Savior for her and all mankind. Both terms are appropiate for her. However Jesus is "the way , the truth and the life". No man cometh unto the Father but through Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q5 Among all women, God chose and favoured Mary, a virgin maiden and because of her

humble submission, God in return blessed her as exclaimed by Elizabeth when she

greeted her as the "Blessed Virgin Mary."

Since Mary is the one who gave birth to Jesus and Jesus being God himself in the

flesh made Mary to be the 'Mother of God.' In this aspect Jesus made a special

place for her with the apostles and in heaven.

Many Christians regarded Mary as an ordinary human chosen by God to bear Jesus and

has no special significance thereby making them hesitant to exalt her as 'blessed

among women.' Whereas the Catholics highly regarded her and give reverence to her

in the church. How often can one be approached by God and be chosen to play such an

important and prominent role like Mary? We need to exalt her for without her humble

submission and obedience and her yes, God's plan of salvation for mankind would

not have materialized today. We should give due honour and respect to Mary as God

did.

The titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" were appropriate for Mary because she indeed was blessed to be a virgin mother and that she was the mother of Jesus, God in the flesh.

Mary was indeed blessed, she was most favored by God. Mary received the blessing of God because he trusted her to raise Jesus until he began his ministry. Just look at the women who have raised adopted children, they are considered to be the mother of those children because they devoted the time and energy into raising them. Mary was no different except that she was chosen by God to get Jesus to adulthood so he could begin his ministry so she was indeed the Mother of God. I think we are hesitant to exalt her as blessed among women because we know that no human is perfect.

Mary was blessed and she was the mother of God.

It's okay to call her blessed for the Bible tells us that she is.

The problem is that the catholics claim that she can bless us too.

There is no Biblical ground whatsoever for this.

In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary?

Mary was, at one time in history, a virgin and gave birth to Jesus Christ. What an honor! God chose her and that was a blessing for her and everyone that knows Jesus Christ. However, I cannot wrap my heart around the 'Mother of God' title. She was mother to the human part of Jesus, as well as the mother of other children that her and Joseph parented, as husband and wife.

Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

I think it wise to NOT exalt her. Only Jesus Christ is exalted. It is unwise to exalt any human being. However, she is to be honored as the woman that bore our Savior, and we should all follow her example of allowing God's plan for our lives to take precedence over our own plans.

In what sense are the titles Blessed Virgin Mary.

Blessed because God chose her to be the mother of Jesus. To exalt a human like us is an offense

to God a sin of idolatry. Exodux 20:3-5.

Gener

THE TITLES OF " Blessed Virgin Mary " is correct because she just was. The title of "Mother of God" is correct because She was the mother of Jesus. Jesus is God. She had the favor of God on her. She was chosen by God to paly the important part to fulfill the scriptures. I have a problem when people pray to her, and worship her as an equal to Jesus. She was human and died.She is not to be treated like she can answer prayers or is able to hear prayers.