JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Titles of St. Mary

Both those titles are appropriate because it is what God made her to be and chose her for the amazing event. She is the connection for God to incarnate the birth of Jesus. One must be careful to keep focused on the coming of Jesus and who He is, rather than glorify Mary for her good servant-hood to God Himself. After all, who would not want to equal Mary in her obedience and her amazing faith to God?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

We are taught as Christians not to elevate one human being above another. That some Christians refer to Mary in such ways is part of ritual and tradition yet there is no mistake in considering Mary to be specially selected by God for a divine purpose and a monumental human task.

It has not been my ubringing to concentrate too much on Mary but this study has shown that both titles are relevant and significant. Clearly she was blessed and unique. As we belive in a three in one God then as the mother of Jesus she was the mother of God.

We can be amazed at and uplifted by her willingness to accept God's lead but I feel it is Jesus not his mother who should be centre stage in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary?

Blessed Virgin Mary is appropriate because she is indeed the one chosen by God to carry his only son, making her very BLESSED!!

Jesus is God incarnate, which make her Mother of God.

Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

I have never had any problem exalting her as "blessed among woman". She is certainly a saint called upon by God to carry his only child. I suppose some may think that the title blessed among woman, or Mother of God, may suggest that she preceded God, making her more superior. God is SOVEREIGN creator. No one or nothing proceeded God and His creation. Jesus is God incarnate, making Mary the Mother of God ( I'd say that's pretty SPECIAL). They are separate, yet one, Father, Son, Holy Spirit, this is the essence of the trinity.

(Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"

Mary was blessed, she was a virgin and Jesus, her son, is God.

I think we often err on the side of caution because some groups have exalted Mary above her position, placing her as an equal with God and displacing Jesus as our Saviour and intercessor. However, Scripture clearly states that she is blessed among women, so I think we can look to her as an example of Godly womanhood.

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

The titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" are appropriate for Mary to merely express that Mary carried God Himself in her womb. We are hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women" because we don't want to lean toward giving her diety status.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43)

In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary?

Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

a. I think both titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" are both

right when it comes to Mary, and true. She was a Virgin and she was

surely blessed when God chose her to the Mother to Jesus. "mother of God"

because she gave a virgin birth to Jesus and was to raise the Lord's son.

b. I don't know, maybe because she is fully human. We know she was the

chosen vessel to bring fourth Jesus and she should be known and loved

for that, But to exault her for that role??

• 9 months later...

The titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" are both correct titles for Mary.  Blessed Virgin because she was a virgin who found favor with God.  Enough favor to become the earth mother of Jesus who is God.  I am a Protestant and as such "blessed among women" although apt is uncomfortable for me.  It reminds me of the Catholic Masses. The more I consider this, the more I understand Mary truly is blessed among women to bear the Messiah!

• 3 weeks later...

The titles Blessed Virgin Mary and Mother of God are appropriate for her because she said Yes to God's will in her life that is to give birth to Jesus who redeemed the mankind from sin.

she was blessed because she was obidient to the plan of God and she carried Jesus our Lord in her womb and delivered him to fuflil the mission of God our Father. In this sense the title Mother of God appropriates her.

we are hesitant to to exalt her as blessed among women because we do not want to exalt her above God  and we dont intend to worship her.  in the true sense exaltation is due to her as blessed among women because she submitted herself to the will of God and she was the instrument God used to give Jesus to the lost world. she deserves respect and honor because her immense love for God made her obey God's plan to redeem mankind from sin through Jesus  born through her.

Mary was blessed to be carrying Jesus. After Elizabeth saw her--the Holy Spirit came upon her & the baby in her womb and she uttered those words in the Spirit!

I'm not hesitant to called her blessed.

She was blessed, she was a virgin and she was Mary.  She was the mother of God through the virgin birth of Christ Jesus who is Himself God.

Maybe for fear we will be mistaken for worshipping her.  She was the vessel God choose to bring the Messiah into the world who is to be worshipped and adored.

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q5. (Luke 1:42-43) In what sense are the titles "Blessed Virgin Mary" and "Mother of God" appropriate for Mary? Why are we sometimes hesitant to exalt her as "blessed among women"?

The titles are appropriate to Mary because she was actually a virgin favoured and blessed by God to carry God in her her womb through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Protestants hesitate to exalt Mary as "blessed among women" because they do not want to worship her as only God is worthy to be praised and worship.

• 3 weeks later...

These phrases are deprived from Elizabeth's "prophetic insight" in verses 42and43. Mary is blessed since she is faithful and has the privilege in bearing the Son of God. By Mary bearing Jesus, who is God incarnate, she techically can be called the "Mother" of God.

As in all things, people Need to take ideas in their proper perspective. Mary is uniquely blessed and far different from any woman in history. Mary, however, cannot be exalted as divine or replace Christ in are worship and prayers. Mary earns our respect and admiration--but Jesus earned our worship and praise sine He is fully human and fully God.

• 2 weeks later...

As a mother of three, I feel that I have been blessed too. But during this season of advent, I've been reflecting on what must have been going through Mary's mind. Every mother believes their newborn baby to be special , a blessing to their family. But Mary gave birth to the savior of the world. What an awesome feeling it must have been to be chosen to mother Him. 

• 10 months later...

The titles for Mary are really quite appropriate: she was blessed (as declared by the angel, Gabriel); she was a virgin; and she was the mother of God because Jesus is incarnate of God, which was acknowledged by Elizabeth. Some people may fear that exalting St. Mary implies that she comes before God or is on the same level as God. The fact that she was chosen by God to mother of the Messiah shows us that Mary was, in fact, exalted above all women by God himself. By the way, Catholic Christians do not pray TO Mary; we ask that she intercede on our behalf, just as many Protestant Christians ask friends, and even Facebook strangers, to offer prayers on their behalf.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Bible calls her blessed among women and she was a blessed woman indeed. She was chosen by God Himself to bear His precious Son. But when we use a title, it should be appropriate throughout the life of that individual. In that sense, Mary did not remain a virgin after the birth of Jesus Christ. Matthew 1:25 says that Joseph did not know her “until” she brought forth her firstborn Son. She indeed became the mother of the siblings of Jesus.

The title “Mother of God” ascribes divinity to Mary. She was not divine. She was only human. Moreover the title Mother of God makes the Mother superior to God.

So rather than the titles “Blessed Virgin Mary” and “Mother of God”, “Blessed among women” and “Mother of Jesus” would be appropriate.

Probably the reason for the hesitation is because, in exalting her, she is given the unduly status of deity. Rather than disrespecting her, we need to give respect to Mary knowing that she was chosen by God to bear His Son.

• 8 months later...