JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Naming the Current Rulers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adds historal perspective, both to the reason for the location, and to help make a timeline. To add credibility to the authenticity or Christ's birth. Luke was very focused on conveying facts.

It also helps to establish the fulfilment of some of the prophesies.

He is vallidating his account by associating it with outside sources and the historical context. In addition, this context provides many reasons for the actions of the people in the account. If it wasn't for the census, Jesus would have most likely been born in Nazareth, thus not fulfilling the prophecies.

It is amazing how God engineers circumstances for his purposes. I'm sure that when Caesar issued the census, he wasn't thinking, hmmm, I guess I better have a census so the prophecy that Jesus will be born in Bethlehem will be fulfilled. Whether or not Mary and Joseph were aware of the necesity of them going to Bethlehem in order to fulfil prophecy, I'm not sure. Either way, it is amazing to see how God works circumstances out.

Luke names Ceasur Augustis and Governor Quirinus of Syria because he wanted to show that Jesus has a historical context. Luke is making the point that Jesus was neither myth nor legend,but an actual historical person.

Q1. (Luke 2:1-2) Why does Luke name the rulers in 2:1-2? What point is he making?

Why does Luke name the rulers in 2:1-2?

By listing the rulers and other historical details, Luke establishes the existence of Jesus, which historical writings and archeological records verify.

What point is he making?

When Caesar Augustus orders the census degree, he automatically makes a binding, legal ruling within a political and government setting. Luke wants us to know that Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are real people, and that the events truly happened.

Q1. (Luke 2:1-2) Why does Luke name the rulers in 2:1-2? What point is he making?

Luke names the rulers in 2:1-2 to show that the events of which he is speaking are an actual part of real history. The reign of these rulers can be verified and thus makes a stronger case for Jesus being an actual person during this time and not just a myth or legend.

Luke is a Doctor and it is important to him that he is accurate and truthful. He is writing to a person of importance and wants him to be aware of all the things surronding what he is writing about. He there fore most place something to identify time and place of the events about which he is speaking.

He want anyone who read his letter to be able to relate to where he is talking about along with when. He is also fulfilling prophecy by mentioning the events surronding Jesus's birth.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=719

Luke is making the statement very clearly that Jesus is true...and allowing those to be able to trace him in the history of the world. The birth of Jesus is not a fairy tale but an actual historical fact we can verify.

He is vallidating his account by associating it with outside sources and the historical context. In addition, this context provides many reasons for the actions of the people in the account. If it wasn't for the census, Jesus would have most likely been born in Nazareth, thus not fulfilling the prophecies.

It is amazing how God engineers circumstances for his purposes. I'm sure that when Caesar issued the census, he wasn't thinking, hmmm, I guess I better have a census so the prophecy that Jesus will be born in Bethlehem will be fulfilled. Whether or not Mary and Joseph were aware of the necesity of them going to Bethlehem in order to fulfil prophecy, I'm not sure. Either way, it is amazing to see how God works circumstances out.

amen and amen Kaitlin...it is amazing to see how the Lord works...and we really dont do a thing because whether or not we do what is asked the Lord will do what He will...it is only for our own blessings that we should listen and obey...praise God it is not on us we have to depend...

• 10 months later...

[b :P ]Events were placed in history by naming the ruler when the event took place. Placing Jesus in history using this method of naming the ruler indicates that Jesus was real and alive and lived during this period.[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

To give clear, verifiable evidence of the fact that Jesus had a "historical" place in the "kings" of the world. He is the King of all kings...Lord of all lords...Jesus King of All...! ...and He changed history, kings and all...!!

Luke names the rulers of the time to give a historical footing to the birth of Christ. This makes the point that Jesus was, indeed, a person that lived during a definite, verifiable time in history.

Q1. (Luke 2:1-2) Why does Luke name the rulers in 2:1-2?

Naming the rulers places Jesus in His historical setting. (HIS-STORY). It also sets the stage for the following verses to explain why Joseph and Mary made that difficult trek to Bethlehem when her baby was due any day. Scoffers could have said that they went to fulfill prophecy....when in fact they were forced to go in order to register at Caesar's edict.

What point is he making?

Jesus is not a myth or a legend. His birth is verifiable, not only in the Bible, but in many other historical writings of the time, such as Josephus, Pliny, Tacitus, and the Talmud, and many others. I love how God always dots the i's and crosses the t's so that every tiny detail of prophecy is fulfilled...He looked to today when Athiests are putting signs in Nativity scenes saying "There is no God, no Jesus, no angels, no demons, etc.", as in Washington State's rotunda this year. Any thinking person can check the historical references other than the Bible to verify His birth.

Although the historical references to Caesar Augustus and Quirinius can be helpful in debunking modern "Jesus myth" proponents, I really don't think there was much doubt about Jesus' existence at the time Luke wrote his gospel account (probably before the destruction of the Jewish temple around 70 AD). Yet today these references do provide us with information regarding the actual year of Jesus' birth (prior to the death of Herod the Great in 4 B.C. versus the presumed date of 1 A.D.). I think Luke was simply using a common method in ancient times of dating an event based on who was ruling (e.g. "In the year King Uzziah died

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think he named the rulers so we could have a time line in a historical event. The point he is making, is that Jesus is real. He gives us the history of Jesus birth and the hardship that Mary and Joseph went through. I think it proves that the Bible is real, God's word is real.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As a physician Luke was probably very precise about recording events. In stating the rulers he gives us the historical events and times. It makes the birth of Jesus less mythical and more historical fact.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Naming the rulers and stating the decree that the world that was known then should be registered would be prove for us in years to come that Jesus was born, and He was registered under the lineage of David.