JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

It was a sign from God that messiah was to be (had been) born. The people of Israel needed a supernatural sign that it was happening-- a sign that was visible even to the people who had been scattered far away.

They knew the prophecies concerning messiah because of the scattered people of Israel who lived among them. They knew it was a (the) significant event in the history of the world. They wanted to learn exactly what was going on.

Balaam spoke of a star that would come out of Jacob, a scepter that would rise out of Israel. Combined with other prophecies the magi must have known about, they reasoned that a great king of the Jews had been born, or perhaps even the savior of the world.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

1/2. It seams that most of the boys were brought up in the teachings of the Bible. If that is so maybe the wise men were the ones that continued in serving the Lord through their gift as well as studying the Word. Which would mean they read the prophesy by Balam or knew about the prophesy and decided to make that their life long search.

The significance of the star and why they followed it; it was the sign they had been looking for all their lives. The sign of the savior. The King who would save their people. The Lord of Lords.

3. I was foretold.

• 10 months later...

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem is that it was profecied in the Old Testament that when they (the Magi) saw the star, that would be the signal that the Christ child was born.

The Magi came to find the Christ-child because they understood the prophetic meaning of His birth.

It was prophecied that this would happen.

• 1 month later...

What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

This was gthe fulfillment of prophecy from the book of Numbers....a star will come out of Jacob.

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star?

I think they were probably astrologers of the day and this star in the east held such interest for them, they knew it was the King of the Jews who was born. They seemed to be men of study and perhaps had been waiting for this sign.

In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

The prophecy may have been originally interpreted to be about David....but later I think the scholars knew it was a prophecy regarding the Messiah.

The stars significance - The star, mentioned in Numbers 24:17, sends these wise men on a quest for a king. It isn't clear how they know the prophetic word and is possible God is working a wonder through nature to affirm Jesus as the Christ for millennia to come. We can assume that God wanted them to cross paths with Herod, as they lose their bearings without it and are compelled to speak to the local king concerning the birth of the child. Their question confirms that Bethlehem is the prophesied location for the Messiah to be born. We don't know if rumors had circulated from the angelic visitation that lit up a hillside, motivated shepherds to share what they'd seen, and stirred the imagination of Bethlehem months earlier.

Why did they come? They came to worship. Their belief was that a honorable king had been born. Apparently their background in astronomy lent itself to interpreting certain anomalies in the heavens. God has found ways through nature to speak to people and this is no different. We can't know exactly what it was about the star or prophetic words that motivated them. What we do know is that respected and well positioned men from the east (Persia, Babylon, or a desert kingdom) came with expensive gifts befitting a great king.

The prophecy is underscored by wise men and the star that spoke to them. This prophetic word recorded close to a millennia before the star, provided a credible witness for the message received by the wise men as they pursued this new king. They believed a great ruler had been born and the prophecy identified the great ruler as the Messiah. As often is the case, a prophecy may have more than one fulfillment as it can speak to a current situation as well as to one far in the future.

Answer;

1. What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

That something divine,powerful is working within,trying to deliver a message,a direction a way for everyone to see.

2. Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star?

It was prophesize,and spoken in:

Numbers 24:17- I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

Micah 5:2-But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Also because Herod has asked them(Magi) to go and find Jesus

:Matthew 2:8-And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

Another interpretation could be

The star signifies that prophecy has been fulfilled in the Birth of the Messiah! The star leads them to the place where Jesus is born. Without the star present in the sky they would not know where the Messiah was born! The Magi were educated men who were well read and heard the prophecy of the coming Messiah and wanted to go to the place of His birth to worship Him! This event is prophesied many time in the Old Testament.

“I will establish his throne for ever. I will be his Father, and he shall be my Son” (1 Chron. 17:12-13).

1. a.b.c. The significance of the star was that it signaled the birth of the Christ-Child. (Jesus is the Star of Bethlehem) The star that guided them to where the child was. When they saw the child they knew the prophecy was fulfilled of that which the prophet Micah spoke, that from you Bethlehem will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel. The Magi were curious and probably knew of this prophecy and now here it was coming to pass. They bowed down and worshiped Him. The Savior of the World!

• 5 months later...

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw was the fulfillment of the Scriptures and prophecy in Numbers 24:17. It is evident that the Magi knew the Scriptures and when they saw the star it was announcing the birth of Jesus.

The Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star because they were wise men who were expert in astrology and they wanted to see the Messiah.

Prophecy prefigured this event, because God, the Old Testament and the Prophets have foretell or predicted the birth of the Christ to the world beginning with Genesis 3:15 with the sin in the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 3:15

• 1 year later...

The text says that "we just dont know enough to say authoritatively exactly what the Star of Bethelem was.". Some possibilities include the following:

1. A Supernova or New star

2. A comet

3. A planetary conjunction

Whatever it was, the Star of Bethelem led the Magi to baby Jesus.

When the Magi saw the star, they followed the star to find the King of the Jews so that the Magi may worship him.

Balaam prophesied that "A star will come out of Jacob" (Num 24:17)

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17)

It was part of the prophecy that the savior would be born.

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the

star?

They wanted to come and see for themselves the child, to affirm his birth,

to honor him, and to give gifts to him.

The saviors birth was prophecised in the Old Testament so that when it did

occur they would have already been told of it and would look for him.

The Star of Bethlehem became signifigant because it was the guide that led the Magi to Jesus. I believe that they came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star because they were expecting a the birth of a King. As astrologers they were reading the stars and this specific star caught their attention as being of great importance. Prophecy prefigure this event in that prophets spoke of one who will rise out of Jacob to be King. They were looking forward to the birth of a Messiah.

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

It's very possible that more Hebrew manuscripts than we have today exised back then at the time of Jesus' birth. My take on the wise men is that they were from Babylon. Daniel had a huge influence on that country in his time and he was chief among the emperor's magi and advisors. He even had a profound influence on Nebuchadnezzar himself. It's not much of a stretch to believe that worship of Yahweh continued there after the Jews returned from exile. As is often the case yahweh worship probably became diluted and mingled with the worship of whatever gods had always been worshipped there. Even so, I believe the wise men were God-fearers, if not actual Yahweh worshippers. I re-read the prophecy of Balaam just now and errant though he may have been, he spoke words directly under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit on that occasion. As I wrote above, there may have been additional prophetic writings that we have no knowledge of that foretold the Star of Bethlehem.

I don't think the Star of Bethlehem was any natural phenomenon. I belive it was a supernatural event. A miracle.

At the risk of bashing another denomination, the Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Star of Bethlehem was the fallen angel Lucifer who had a plan to use Herod to kill the infant Jesus and his elaborate plan was that the wise men tell Herod of a rival king who had just been born and that Herod would kill all the boys in Bethlehem under the age of two, including Jesus. They base that assumption . . . and that's all it is . . . on Lucifer's ability to disguise himself as an angel of light. I told the guy who told me these things that making such a huge leap of assumption was very dangerous to one's faith and that attributing something God had done as a work of Satan might just be blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

They were motivated by God to seek out the Messiah and worship Him. Strong motivation indeed considering the distance they had to travel. That alone tells me they were God fearing men and probably worshipped Him in their own land in their own way.

We have the prophecy of Balaam preserved in the Bible but I'll bet there were more writings that didn't make it into the Jewish Scripture that also foretold this event.

I think it may be easier to respond to this in reverse. The Israelites had been in exile for many years in countries to the East and North. They would have taken their scrolls, books of the law and other writings with them. To this the Magi would have added their own understanding n and so prophecy of both Jewish and other writers would have formed their interpretation as to why a star had appeared.

They would have wanted out of curiosity and reverence to find the Messiah and worship him.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17)

a) The significance of the star was it was a sign that the king of the Jews

had been born. The Jewish people looked for a sign from God on the birth

of Jesus the Messiah. The star also guided the Magi to where Jesus was born.

B) The Magi were men of wisdom and learning. Upon seening the star they

came to Jerusalem seeking a newborn king. They honored Jesus with gifts

of gold, incense, and myrrh. These gifts would help when the Holy Family

were in exile in Egypt.

c) Ballam prophecyed the Star of Bethlehem. The star was to be the sign

of the birth of the Messia. The star was linked with David, who often

prophecied, and all the Jews were looking / expecting the sign of the

birth of the king of Jews.

• 9 months later...

The star the Magi saw was predicted several times.  "A star will come out of Jacob", is a  prediction of the birth.  The star pointed the way to where the child lay.  The Magi knew of the stories I believe.  When the stars and the planets lined up they knew a great child was to be born and where he lay.  The prophecy as I said was foretold several times.  In Numbers, by Daniel, Isaiah, and Micah.

• 3 weeks later...

The star was significant because it was a lead that the Magi followed to the Christ-child. It was different from any other star.

The Magi came to find the Christ-child when they say the star because they have heard of the prophesy of king that was to be born and be traced by way of a star

What was prophesied came to pass in the birth of Baby Jesus

• 2 weeks later...

If Jesus' birth is God in fleshing dwelling with us, it deserves a grand heavenly sign. Since he worked in the courts of Babylon several centuries beforehand, the magi most likely heard and studied Daniel's prophecies of a new king and messiah. Since Daniel was considered a magi himself and the wise men being men of learning and curiosity, they went to "check out" this amazing sign. The Jewish scriptures also mentioned in Balaam's prophecy in Numbers 24, that a specter and star will rise out of Israel-- so they went!!

• 2 weeks later...

The star is significant because of the statement in Numbers 24.17  "a star has come out of Jacob". The star than is seen as symbol of the messiah that has come.

The magi probably came from the Babylon area where the Jews had been held in exile. As well many Jews had remained behind and no doubt had kept the concept of the messiah alive. 

• 1 year later...

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw, was that it was prophesied by Balaam (Num. 24:17) (A) that a star will rise from Jacob--a scepter...these wise men /astrologers may have been Jews that had stayed in Babylon after the exile and may have studied ancient manuscripts that could have been left in Babylon and possibly there were copies of the Old Testament.(B) © If this is true the stories would have been passed down and the astrologers of that day would have been searching for a star that they believed would have led them to the Messiah. they would have believed that it was a special message from God.© In what way does prophecy prefigure this event? If the wise men who search the heavens for a sign had read or heard about the prophecy Balaam, they would have been expecting a sign from God and when they witnessed the star, they traveled thousands of miles to see for themselves--they believed the prophecy  and therefore were led by God to see the miracle for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

The Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw was what let them to the Christ Child. I think the reason that the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star was because they thought that something very important was going to happen and they wanted to be there. Prophecy knew when this event was going to take place and God foretold it those who would listen.

• 3 years later...

The luminous body that they saw in the skies was unique and these Magi from the east could immediately connect it to the Messiah, for it was a sign. These Magi must have been expectantly looking to the skies for centuries, from the time of Daniel, to have recognized it as soon as they saw it and were willing to take a 750 + miles journey with gold, frankincense and myrrh, all expensive items. They must have had a big entourage with them for they needed protection of travel especially with these costly items in their possession to gift to the King of kings.  

Jesus was only a baby when they undertook this journey. They would have surely known that He would not be capable to do anything for them. So their journey was to simply worship Him.

Their gifts symbolizes the offices of Jesus. Gold represented His deity, frankincense His priestly office and myrrh which is usually bitter spoke of His office of the prophet. Moreover myrrh was used for burial purpose. Again it spoke of His purpose that was to die for humanity. So their gifts prophetically spoke of His offices and the purpose of His birth.

• 3 years later...

Q1.We are told in Numbers 24v 17.” I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near, A star will come out of Jacob; a sceptre will rise out of Israel, “ These were prophecies made about David but more long term they were about the Messiah. The Magi were men who among others things studied the stars and the heavens and were aware that a star or luminous display in the sky would herald the forthcoming birth of the Messiah who’s birth was prophecised many times in the Old Testament. Genesis 3 v15, Micah 5 v2-5.Isaiah 9v 2-7. Because they knew the skies they could detect anything that was unusual or not normally there. When they saw the star which was new they knew to follow it so they could pay homage to the new born King, the Messiah and so they worshipped Him and gave Him gifts of gold,  frankincense and myrrh. Gifts which were fit for a king.