JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus' Interpretation of Deut 24

I believe that Jesus wanted you to have a happy loving marriage..I don't think that he would want you to stay in a marriage that was abbusive or harmful to you children. I think that he was speaking about the love of your heart and if that is not there it is alright to get a divorce.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus' teaching on divorce was parallel to Rabbi Shammai's view. Jesus taught that it was not for a man to sever the union that God had brought together (witnessed).

The exception to Jesus' prohibition on divorce was that of marital unfaithfulness.

This relates to Deuteronomy because it follows the same teaching. Jesus is not introducing a new idea on divorce, He is spelling out the intention of the original Law in Deuteronomy. Jesus says that 'He didn't come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it'. Here Jesus is giving the intention to this law not changing it.

Q1. (Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12) With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai? What exception does Jesus give to his prohibition of divorce? How does this exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4?

Jesus appears to side with Rabbi Shammai. Sexual immorality -- adultery -- was grounds for divorce.

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 suggests that if a husband found something to be "indecent" -- sexually immortal -- about his wife he could divorce her.

Jesus sided with Rabbi Shammai. The exception Jesus gave was the ground of sexual immorality. In Deuteronomy, it states that a man cannot take his wife back after he has divorced her and she has been defiled.

Q1. (Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12) With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai? What exception does Jesus give to his prohibition of divorce? How does this exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4?

i don't think he sided with anyone, for he knew what was in man...i think he brought them to the truth, regardless of who they were or what they thought. it's obvious they were stuck on i'm right and your wrong, and vice versa.man cannot interpret gods word. the holy spirit must do this, we make big mistakes by thinking we have the answers, and everyone else is wrong.look how jesus takes them outside their law, all the way back to the garden. that must of crossed some hairs! and even when they thought they had him cornnered, he ripped them with their hard hearts.jesus wasn't concerned so much for divorce, he is encouraging unity. he wants us to stay true to our vows, let yes be yes, and no be no. and he understands how adultry hurts beyond anguish. and he knows it is hard for us to trust anyone.

Jesus did not side with any of the two groups. Jesus focused on marriage rather than divorce. He pointed out that God intended marriage to be permanent and gave four reasons for the importance of marriage

Jesus sided with Rabbi Shammai in that both agreed that divorce should be allowed in cases of marital unfaithfullness.

Rabbi Hillel believed divorce should be granted for any reason, even something as trivial as a wife burning her husband's dinner.

The exception that Jesus gives to His prohibition of divorce is marital unfaithfulness or adultery.

This exception relates to Deut 24:1-4 in that it doesn't allow a husband to divorce his wife for just any reason.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Jesus's teaching in Mathhew Chapter 5:31-32 the only reason that can lead to Divorce is unfaithfulness or adultery. In this case therefore, Jesus seems to agree with Rabbi Shammai, who interpreted Deutoronomy 24:1-4 as refering to unchastity. This passage in Deutoronomy refers to divorve if a wife is discovered to have something indecent about her that was not known before marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12) With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai?

I'm not sure that Jesus would side with either one, but if He did I believe it would be Rabbi Shammai with adultery being the only acceptable reason for divorce.

What exception does Jesus give to his prohibition of divorce?

Marital unfaithfulness

How does this exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4?

This verse refers to

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus would have sided with Rabbi Shammai because he believed that divorce could be granted in cases of unfaithfulness and not for any reason, however petty.

Divorce is granted for unfaithfulness.

This related to Deuteronomy in that God's rule was that unfaithfulness could be the one cause for couples to divorce.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus sided with neither man-He simply quoted Scripture! God's way was His way! That's the way it should be for us, as well.

The exception was unfaithfulness.If a wife was unfaithful, or had sex with another man, then she could be divorced.

In Deuteronomy 24:1-4, the scripture was interpreted to mean that a wife could be divorced for ANY mistake. Burning toast would have been allowed as a reason for divorce.

I know I already answered this question, but I've had time to think about it. I find it interesting that in Deuteronomy 24:1-4, the people of that time decided that unclean could mean anything the man didn't like. I also find it interesting that The Word says that once a man and woman "join together" they become one flesh. I never picked up on that before.

I have been married 26 years to my third husband. When I married him, I knew that it would be for life. I fully understood how God feels about marriage, and so determined that I would not enter unless completely commited. I confessed my failure to The Lord, and asked Him to bless this one. Thus, 26 years have come and gone. There have been lots of times when I wanted to give him the boot, and vice-versa, but the bottom line is this-we promised God and each other-no matter how bad, poor, or sick, we stay together. We promised God. It's not all about we or us or me or him. If I burn toast, throw it out and do it over. If my husband tells me I'm too fat, say I'm sorry, it is what it is-love me anyway.

Cause when you promise God, you got to keep your word. He keeps His word! Gloray! He hasn't changed His mind-we just need to read it in context. I want the truth-so do you. Painful, though it might be, truth is best.

What if God gave us salvation one day, and then 5 years later, took it back. "I don't want to save you afterall! I don't like the way you say Amen!" Think about it! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12) With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai?

In answering the Pharisees Jesus' explanation for the giving of the bill of divorcement, were in accordance with the stricter school of thought, Rabbi Shammai's.

The exception Jesus gave was in the case of sexual immorality, as he said in Matthew 19:9.

The exception Jesus gave in Matthew 19:9 calls for stronger reasons for divorce, not just because a husband decides that he no longer finds his wife pleasing but only if she has committed adultry.

• 6 months later...

I don't think Jesus agreed with either, but He leaned toward the strictiness of Rabbi Shammai. The exception was martial unfaithfulness. This exception relates to Deuteronomy because it speaks of finding something indecent about a woman or even if she doesn't please him. The reason there was divorce was because Moses gave the law because of the hardness of hearts. God meant for marriage to be an everlasting unity between man and woman. He joins the two as one, and no man is suppose to separate them. If there are problems in the marriage, turn to the Lord for guidance and healing. Let Him be the marriage counselor that He is and wants to be. He can and will restore a life of marriage if couples will seek Him. He is the HEALER and the COUNSELOR.

Rabbi Shammai. If the women was unfaithful. There would be no divorce if we were following the teaching of God. God brings a man and women together for a purpose. We as married couples need to lay down our arms and follow God with an open heart. As mortals God knows we are going to sin. That is when we need to turn back to God and ask for his forgiveness, repent our sins and love God with all our heart, mind, body and soul.

• 5 months later...

On one hand, Jesus tells us that married couples are joined together by God as one flesh, and that what God has joined together, no man should separate. This tells us in no uncertain terms that God hates divorce and doesn't ever want it to happen. On the other hand, God knows human nature. He knows that humans may not, in many cases, be able to forgive and forget (adultery) in the way we are able to only with His help. From this it could be said that Jesus agrees, at least in part, with Rabbi Shammai.

He does say that divorce is permissable only in cases of marital infidelity.

It seems that Jesus is helping to settle any debate over what circumstances constitute the "something indecent about her" mentioned in the passage. Only marital unfaithfulness is a reason for divorce that is recognized by God.

It doesn't seem to me that he supported either of the rabbi's. Jesus explained that only unfaithfulness in marriage allows divorce. he stated that man cannot destroy what God created therefore if man and woman become one flesh, man is not permitted to separate the union. in Deuteronomy, a man could give his wife a certificate of divorce if he does not find her pleasing anymore. This could be interpreted as something other than just unfaithfulness.

• 2 months later...

A.With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai? Until now I've never heard of the names Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai. I knew of the debate of the two truths, but was not aware of the names Hillel/Shammai's background. Very interesting. It appears that Jesus sides in with Rabbi Shammai, because the only grounds for divorce was by unfaithfulness. Jesus came to lead people back to the truth, the one and only truth. Again he shows them another testimony of man's sinful heart.

B.What exception does Jesus give to his prohibition of divorce? The only exception is if the lady or man has been unfaithful, that is the only exception, one can get a divorce, but if it's something less minor and you want a divorce, you will cause her to commit adultery and even anyone that marries her or him.

If you made a vow to your husband and before God, you are making an oath to God as well.

( Again Jesus is teaching his disciples about hardened hearts. Jesus comes to reveal God's truth, away from man made laws and traditons. He comes to reveal the truth about God and His ways. When God joins a man and a woman, they become one, one flesh with God in the center of their relationship. This will never change, and somehow mankind keeps doing their own way. How can one day you love your wife and then as the years go by you don't like your wife anymore? Who's fault is that? We are suppose to love one another, the man is supoose to love his wife like Christ loved the church, and the wife is suppose to love her husband too, by being submissive to him, trusting in him because he is centered in Christ. This love is about God, a oneness of heart and mind. When God is in the heart of the relationship, our love can only grow stronger, deeper. If our flesh is in control of our relationship, then the relationship will not last, the next thing is we don[t measure up to our (eye or what about me standards)then one seeks for a divorce or something. Everything that the world has to offer will change, if we are going to make a descion about marriage, we should understand before hand that, things will change, things wear out, beauty fades, etc, and when all things are striped away, what do you have in the end? God or.....your own world of self deception. )

How does this exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4? Deuteronomy says, the man can divorce his wife even if she is displeasing to him, but if she becomes a wife to another man and he finds her displeasing and divorces her, she can't go back to her first husband because she has been defiled and is detestable in the eyes of the Lord.

God's blessings, love, Lory

• 1 month later...

Hillel school says that a man can divorce from his wife for whatever reason.

Shammai school says that divorce is only justified in case of inchastity.

Jesus says in Matthew 5:32 that divorce is bad and that it is only allowed in case of inchastity.

This shows He agrees with Shammai.

The Mosaic laws makes it easier to divorce.

In case of inchastity, however, people were stoned to death.

This means that divorce was not in question!

Once, they brought a woman to Him for this reason.

He said not to stone her.

• 7 months later...

(Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12) With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai? What exception does Jesus give to his prohibition of divorce? How does this exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4?

Jesus sided pretty close to the Rabbi Shammai. Jesus's exception was that of the unfaithful spouse. An unfaithful spouse is certainly a "displeasing" thing and would fit (at least my interpretation).

• 1 month later...

Divorce is legal and too easy in Georgia, the bible belt state. Anyone can divorce his or her spouse whether they want to or not.

How has this happened? How does this fit God's plan? Is it a test he gives to all of us here? Only He can un-harden hearts that are mentioned in Deuteronomy. Man/woman is too proud and perhaps wounded to heal oneself.

How God heals us is part of his plan, so in some cases here in GA, divorce is "OK" when one spouse has taken up habitation with another new-spouse and reffuses to stop. Then a long process getting closer to God is needed to understand deeply what has happened and each person can learn to 'convict oneself' for this short term failure, and see God's grace to be able to move forward in life.

• 1 year later...

I would say Jesus sided with neither, the Pharisees were trying to draw him into a very controversial subject for it's time ( as it is now-but was more so then, now it is widely acceptable in our culture) to alienate his teachings from the people.

Jesus wanted them to know that marriage is an issue of the heart. Marriage was not a commitment to be taken lightly. Jesus said Moses permitted divorce because mans hearts had become hard but that God had not intended it to be that way. When a man leaves his parents to marry he becomes one person with the person he marries. That is the constitution of marriage as originally defined by God.

adultery

Deuteronomy 24-1-4 does not make clear the conditions with which one could issue a certificate of divorce to his wife. Adultery was punishable by death in Old Testament times. So it is very doubtful that 24-1-4 is referring to adultery as the only acceptable reason for divorce. Thus Moses reason ( which was prompted by the hardening of man's heart and not God's original plan for marriage) for divorce it is not in agreement with the New Testament teaching of Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:27-32; 19:1-12)

With whom did Jesus side: Rabbi Hillel or Rabbi Shammai?

I would not like to term it siding but rather having similar understanding. This is Rabbi Shammai.

The exception Jesus gives to his prohibition of divorce is marital unfaithfulness.

This exception relate to Deuteronomy 24:1-4 as it also provides that a man can divorce his wife if he finds something indecent in her.