JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Let Your 'Yes' Be 'Yes'

To say yes, yes and no, no is to be straight forward, to the point. While such manner of speaking can cause people to react negatively, as sometimes the truth hurts, we are known as honest people. Christians should be credible, dependable when there is a need for honesty in a world of liars.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

We should be profiecient in our answers of Yes or No, not wavering but answering in truth.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

When we obey this command we are speaking in truth rendering our words as credible. This way we don't damage our credibility because others see we are of a pure heart. We are not followers of the ways of satan the liar, but followers and doers of the ways of Christ who is theTruth.

Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no means that we are to speak the truth at all times. We shouldn't have to rseort to taking an oath in order to be believed.

If we obeyed this command, our words would be true and our credibility more believable.

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

Jesus was emphasizing the importance of telling the truth.

A person with a reputation for exaggeration or lying often can

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

It means to be truthful in everything you say and mean what you say.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking?

If we are known for speaking the truth, people will be more likely to believe our witness.

In our credibility?

People will know we are honest and they will be able to trust us and what we say. If we are honest, we will reflect Jesus, instead of reflecting on Him. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

When committing or testifying to something, Jesus is saying simply say yes or a no. Don't swear on anything. Let your word stand on itself. Have credibility. Our word should have credibility.

we should honor and elevate our vows and commitments. if we would do this,our lives would become more simpiler, and the respect and trustworthy level would shoot through the roof. most people desire to feel secure, and for us to honor our word, gives great relief to a world that shudders. not everyone can handle this and they will bite and snap at you.so remeber whose word you honor and to give it back to him for his glory.

We are to speak the truth at all times. Let your words say exactly what you mean. The result in our speaking would be that people could see that they can trust our word and believe in our witness for the Lord because we are obeying His word. When we are honest with people, regardless of the situtation. people will see Christ in us.

Our words are to be the truth and to mean what we say. If we obey this command, our speaking would show the truth in us according to God's word, and our credibility would be so that people could see to trust us and take us at our word. We would not bring reproach on God or ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus asks us to be truthful and mean what we say. He is asking us not to play games with words with the intention of deceiving others. If we speak to deceive, then we are following the devil and not God. If we obeyed this command we would "speak the truth in love" like true children of God.

• 2 weeks later...

It means to be open, honest, to the point and final. This has a positive impact on others and they see the truth of our lives lived before them as a testimony

• 2 weeks later...

It simply means to answer with only yes or no-no profanity in between. Before I came to Christ, I couldn't say anything without adding a few cuss words. Unbelievers seem to respect the fact that cuss words are included. After I got saved and stopped using cuss words it seemed people didn't enjoy talking to me anymore. Even my own family-my kids and my husband cuss worse than ever, because of my faith. They do it so as to pull me back in to it. But, if someone wants to know about a moral code or has a Bible question, or they want to know the truth about something, they know I won't sugar-coat it, or cut it up. I give it to them straight. They may not like my life style, but honesty will win them over everytime!

The phrase means that when you make a promise, or a vow you are obligated to keep it.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

When we speak, the people that we speak to will know that they can trust us to carry out the action as long as it is within our power. Our credibility is intact.

Let our "yes" be yes and your "no" be no means to speak the truth. If we always speak the truth, it doesn't need any additional "swearing". Obeying this command would make us more truthful and more honest without any play on words (no hidden meanings) and our credibility would be greater.

• 6 months later...

What our yes be yes and our no be no means is to say what we mean amd mean what we say. Our word should be good enough. We are saying yes, I will or no, I won't. If we obeyed this command our words would be of truth and speak of themselves and God. There is nothing we can swear by because some way or another it is related to God. He is the Foundation for all beings. It is dangerous to swear. Our speech would be like Christ was. For our creditibility, people would know that we can be trusted and that we are speaking the truth. I like what The Living Bible says, " Your word is good enough. To strengthen your promise with a vow, shows that something is wrong." Let our creditibility be what God wans it to be, like His. Let our words be yea, yea and nay,nay. No if's, and's, and but's, but God's words. As Christian's, what we say is a reflection back on God.

• 2 weeks later...

It's simply. It means what it says yes or no. As humans we sometimes have trouble saying these simple words because we don't want to disappoint some else. When we go beyond using these two words we start to ramble and thus our credibility suffers.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37)

What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking?

In our credibility?

Our Lord Jesus calls for simple truthfulness, the speaking of truth always in all communications and conversations and speech. So much untruths and lying is going on in this world, that we cannot believe what is being said. It is not only in the international realm but also in our own lives. Our politicians lie, countries lie to each other and we lie to each other. It seems we have forgotten the teaching of Christ with regard to vows and oaths, and common veracity and truth and honesty in speech. If only we realize that we are always in the presence of God. He sees everything, and He is the

• 5 months later...

It means to say what you mean and to mean what you say. Don't look for ways to dissemble and deceive, but rather be plain-spoken and transparent. Speak the truth.

We would not always look for ways to make someone think we had agreed to do something that we had not. we would speak the truth instead of lying.

If we have the reputation of always speaking the truth plainly, our credibility is greatly enhanced and people will trust us much more.

• 3 months later...

Because people so often tells lies, they will use an oath to indicate a "real truth". But truth should be truth. We should speak honestly at all times. If this would happen than the vercity of a statement will be based on the character of the person.

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking?In our credibility?

What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? I believe this is a rudimentary lesson on learning to bridle the tongue. We do make oaths and swear by God. As a result we offend and lie and show our neighbors that our words are meaningless, empty So many times our words condemn us, we end up making promises we can't keep. Yes and No are straight up answers, there's nothing hidden in those two words, our intentions are very clear and to the point. Such simple responses helps us to keep honest. Anything more we say can lead us into sin.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? The result would be, intentional living unto God, keeping us honest with everyone around us. By keeping our simple, Yes and No, we won't become or let ourselves get tangled up in satans lies and schemes. We won't make promises we can't keep. We can be honest with others. There was a time long ago when I felt guilty to say No. I didn't like to let anyone down. Only to find me hating myself later on and falling deeper into sin. I not only lied to myself, but I lied to God, ouch!!! Needless to say my life was filled with a lot of pain. As we receive God's word, He is the truth and He gives us the strength to do and live right, to say those simple "yes' and No's. Praise be to God!

In our credibility? We will start becoming a people who "say what we mean" and "do what we say." A people with integrity. Living right brings glory to God.

God's blessings be with you. Love, Lory

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (Pastor Ralph @ Dec 20 2007, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking?In our credibility?

We have to speak the truth.

We can not use tricks to make ourselves more reliable, like 'I swear it on my mothers grave and the eyes of my children' to make people feel guilty if they don't believe us.

In my experience, to the people it doesn't matter what is true.

They just believe the person with the most beautiful madeup story or who they like the most.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is simple, your word is your bond. If you say/promise it, then do it. So be careful what you promise, be it for work, with colleagues, or with family members!!