JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

:P

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

• We trust in with God in the future
  • We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God
  • We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character and character, hope.
Perseverance means that we continue to be strong in our faith and commitment to love and serve God in spite of trials in life; we persevere because of our hope in eternal life with God; we know there is a better future and our trials now are only temporary. We strive to develop patience and with God

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rejoice in sufferings because our faith gets tested and tried and we become stronger.Perseverance produces patience and allows us to bear our sufferings, which builds our character and we become more compassionate to others. Hope is important because it strengthens our faith in what we can't see. v.m.c

We should rejoice in our sufferings because it produces perseverance, hope & character, as well as the fruits of the Spirit. Perseverance means to never quit despite any obstacle. Never to quit because of hope. The hope of eternity and that we will one day share in God's glory. These obstacles will shape our character by giving us self control, patience, righteousness....well you get the picture.

without suffering we would not appreciate the good times. they help us to endure. Endurence develops strength of character and character strengthens our confident expectation ofsalvation. Our hope is in Jesus I think of a song Rest in me

I'll give you comfort in affliction

As you diligently seek

Rest in me

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

I am not to rejoice about my sufferings, it insults God. If my child dies, I am allowed to grieve, to be angry, to feel all the emotions Jesus felt. But I am to rejoice that through them, my faith muscles are strengthened and it brings me closer to God.

Perseverance gives me stickability and stronger faith and trust in God.

Tried character gives the aroma of Christ to a dying world. They see the difference as I respond not react to my circumstances.

Hope gives me joy, keeps me believing.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because it is a gift of the Holy Spirit that produces perserverance, character or tried character, and hope.

Perserverance is important because it is the gift of the spirit of long suffering. Perserverance produces tried character because it is a gift that God works in us using the experience of a test. It is a trait that God works in us. Which also gives us the gift of hope. Hope allows us to see our prize at the end..to look forward to the goal in front of us and to keep our eyes firmly ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because they produce preserverance which produces character and then gives us hope. 1) Thru faith we gain justification which in turn gives us the strength to stand up to the trials and sufferings. only because Christ died for us can we achieve this. We can stand firm in the grace of God because of the love that He gives to us freely thru the Holy Spirit. 2) I am thinking that tried character is standing strong for whom I have become, for God is changing or molding me into the person He wants me to be. Not being perswayed or allowing someone or something to push me from the walk with Christ.When my character is challenged and it stands firm, it is living proof that God is alive and is keeping to His word. 3) I cannot imagine not having hope. Hope is a gift given by God. ROMANS 15 VS 13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may over flow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Let us thank the Lord and praise His Name! :rolleyes:

We should rejoice in our trials and sufferings because of what it produces - peserverance,character and hope. If our life was void from trials we would miss out on the amazing power of God and our reliance on Him would be less.

Perserverance means never giving up. It measn inspite of what we might be going through we can still put God first and look to Him for strength. It is part of the "journey" of life and can shape us in ways we never thought we could be stretched, shaped and moulded.

Character is the only thing we take to heaven. It is the very being of who we are. Character is our eveyday actions, what we have learnt from our trials. Character is so important.

Hope is not only what we look forward to but sometimes when we look at how we have come through a situaion and can clearly see Gods hand at work then that gives us hope as well.

We have an amazing God!!!!

Suffering is such a builder and developer, suffering comes at any time in our life and also arrives at moments we least expect.

Suffering is the last thing we hope for but after it has been endured with the Lord we find that a change has been borne in our lives. I found suffering created in me a wonderful trust in the Master I had to rely in Him in ways I never thought possible, and in all things he delivered and still continues to do so.

Suffering wrought perseverance and consideration. Jesus is manifested within and without me as He works His marvellous wonders in and through me to His glory.

May the Lord bless those who are presently suffering and may they know His wonderful companionship as they journey on.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=37943:date=Aug 16 2008, 02:02 AM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pastor Ralph @ Aug 16 2008, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=37943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They bring us to Jesus.

Perseverance: there are only two roads. To walk on the narrow road you need perseverance. It's very difficult but if you don't, you automatically take the broad way. This leads to hell.

Tried character: meaning that Satan is fighting to get us of the small road to the broad road. For me, it is very difficult to be nice to nasty people. I easily feel like shouting or being sarcastic.

Hope:if we hold on, our hope gets stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because as we go through them with God we come to rely upon God more and more, we know that through it all God is over all and that He is building into us perseverence, character and hope.

We can understand that God has a plan and a purpose for His people and that everything He does/brings to us has a good purpose even if we don't see it at the time.

Perseverence - We press on because we know God is in control and we can rely on Him even when we think we cannot keep going.

Character - Learning to rely upon God, to allow Him to build our character, to mould us, to teach us, to grow us up in His ways.

Hope - We are not of this world, our hope comes from God above, we look to Him and not worldly things, our hope and knowledge that He has a place prepared for us at the end of time, that His plan is coming to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much to think about with these questions! I can't digest it all in this one minute I have before the kids wake up. But I do think I will focus on the idea of hope as a clear expectation, not a vague optimistic feeling. Although Christ's justification gives us the hope we need for salvation, our suffering, perseverance, and character help bring that expectation to the forefront for us. I like how the lesson mentioned growing disillusioned by the world--as a positive thing! I have noticed that when I am running strong with God, I do get more disappointed by the world. But being in that state of mind in which you see the difference between the world and the life of the spirit is important. Too often I ride the fence between the two, allowing myself to get so discouraged and torn down by the world when I really don't need to be. But when my eyes are set on Jesus, I am more able to say, "OK, that is the world. This kind of behavior is expected. Instead of becoming tormented by it, I will pray for others and focus on the hope of a better life both here and in heaven." When that hope is at the forefront of my life, I treat non-believers better as well. Instead of adversaries, those who hurt me are lost souls who need prayer and love and their own hope of something better.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice because when we die we will have the reward of Heaven and peace with God.

Perseverance: as long as we perserver we will have the fruit of the Spirit.

Character: the longer we walk in the Spirit,God will work with us.

Hope: we will see our fulfilments of promises on our walk.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice because we have our reward in heaven.Persevrance is when keep the faith in Jesus while you are being tested.Tried Character is when you tested in the faith and bulids character afterwards.Hope is when we belive we are going to make it to heaven.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe that Paul was referring to the sufferings of daily life, but of that which Christ points out in Matthew 5:10, 11, and 12--Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you..

Or maybe he was even referring to the perseverance Christ describes in Luke chapter 6:27."But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

28.bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29.If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30.Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31.Do to others as you would have them do to you. 32."If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33.And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34.And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. This kind of attitude not only causes sufferings because of financial, time, and energy constraints but also produces character. This kind of true commitment to Our LORD is lacking in the church today, esp. in America where we are so dependent on our prosperity instead of the God who gave us the means to be prosperous.

It is time for reflection where hope is concerned.. What am I hoping for? Am I hoping for a fun filled and carefree life or am I hoping to spend eternity with our Lord and Savior? I find it easy to fall back into Satan's trap when I take my eye off the goal. I say it is o.k. to live for self and not be so concerned about others and what God's word says in Luke chapter 9:23.Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

24.For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25.What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self ?

Darrell

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

God controls everything and if I am going through something in my life, God is doing something in me to devolop me.

So I rejoice.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance: Makes you Strong.

Tried character: Is a message to the people around that God is with me.

Hope: Keeps us going.

We can rejoice regardless of outward circumstance because we are always standing on holy ground;in His grace ( His protection and favor) and God is faithful to fulfill His promises. Hope placed in Him is never returned empty! We grow and mature through our trials. I have personally experienced the blessings of renewed faith that could never have happened without the struggle that preceded it! Perseverance is the key to success in all areas of life, as well as a strong, balanced "tried" character, and hope? Well, I know from experience that one cannot live without hope!

"I really don't think this means that we should be thrilled because we get to suffer painful or difficult things"

Ya know there was actually a time in my life wherein, I came pretty close to being "thrilled" in the face of a struggle . . . . . nothing sweeter than being able to thank one's enemy for giving you and the Lord yet another opportunity to reap blessings. It's all about perspecitve.

• 4 weeks later...

We can see our trials as the way to increase our perseverance- being able to get through the tough times; to build our character-as we go through the trial, we are working toward a positive outcome (although it's not always the outcome WE want at that time!) and we have hope- we are focusing on the ultimate goal, not the earthly, immediate goal. This is easier said than done, I think.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? Because sufferings produce endurance or perseverance, endurance produces character and character produces hope.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance or patience (KJV) in spite of whatever is going on around us is crucial if we are to follow Gods path. Very often, especially in my case, and especially when we are suffering in some way, we want something to happen and we want it to happen yesterday! This is not always God's way. However by having the patience and endurance to wait for God to work, we learn by experience that God will answer and that all things work together for good for those who believe in God.

This experience of God's provision time and time again, learned through perseverance, gives us the tried character, which in turn brings us closer to God. In effect, the more we trust Him, the more it becomes in our character to trust Him and the closer we get to Him.

Which in turn gives us the hope or, I think more accurately, the certainty, of where we are going. This in turn gives us the perseverence, knowing the long term goal, to undergo any sufferings

• 2 weeks later...

Perseverance in the face of difficulty/suffering makes us stronger and more mature persons. When we stand firm in the face of trials we develop character and internal fortitude (strength). When we stand firm under great pressure we see that God is always with us and if we place our trust in him we recognize that he has a plan for us. That in turn produces hope, because God always has our best interests in mind even if we don't recognize it.