JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Baptism and Union with Christ

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

The way I am reading it is that by full immersion baptism, I am dying to my Adam life when I go under the water and rising to my Christ-life when I emerge. I am choosing to make a commitment to be joined to Christ. In being baptised I am joining Christ on Calvary.

Paul talks about this being a union with Christ, a physical symbol of a spiritual union.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I was baptized (sprinkled water) as an infant and led a very ordinary worldly life. Then I was converted to the real dedicated life a few years ago. Then I chose to have an immersion baptism as an adult after a couple of years after I became a committed spirit led christian. My decision to get baptized was merely an act of obedience and declaration of my "new life" to my relatives and friends (to the world). In physical sense the act of baptism did not bring me to that "new life". I had that even before. After I made that decision to take Jesus serious in my life and I believe I started that "union with Christ"
  2. Physically the baptism symbolises our death and burial to "myself" and was raised to be "in Christ". In theory the physically dead body should not respond to the desires of this world.

I agree with pickledilly. I think the baptism it speaks of here in Romans 6:3-5 could possibly be Holy Spirit baptism. We come to the end of ourselves, we quit trusting in our self ( that is our death) and we go down on our knees(maybe not physically but in our heart)a lost sinner in humble submission to our Lord(like a burial) and rise again a new creation in Christ, filled with the Holy Spirit to live in newness of life.

Water baptism is a symbol of what has taken place in the heart and soul, spiritually, which also points to Jesus death, burial and resurrection.

I may be wrong in my interpretation but I want to thank Pastor Wilson for this question because it really makes one think about the scripture verses.

Through our obedience, baptism brings about our union with Christ. It is because we are acting in obedience to God's word that we are united with Christ in His death and resurrection.

Symbolically, baptism puts our old sinful nature under the blood, (under the water) including not necessarily the consequences of those actions, but certainly the punishment and judgement we have coming. And we are reborn (come out of the water) to a new life, one free from the judgment and punishment of sin; A life of Grace and Mercy. Our sins are "remembered no more". We are spotless and righteous in God's eyes. Thank you Lord.

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

We have been united with Jesus Christ through His baptism and His resurrection. We have also been united with Him when we were baptism and truly Born Again Christ Like with the spirit of Christ in us. We will not be resurrected like Him until we have finisher our earthly course therefore until the trumpet(s) sound we have to keep the faith that we now have been resurrected in Him, Through Christ spirit with in us, teaching, leading and guiding us each and every day of our earthly walk until we are in Glory with Him.

When we were buried with Him through baptism, under the water in our water graves we were united with Christ and the water is the symbolize of our united with Him simply because when we came up out of the water grave we have taken upon use both Jesus Christ death and resurrection, we are new Creatures in Him and have taken upon us His nature and we are no longer the old person (man) that we were that person (old man) has been surpressed by the new person in us and the new man in us is the Holy Spirit the Spirit of Jesus Christ that He has given to all that is in unity with Him.

baptism brings about our union with Christ in that in our baptism we choose to subit to Christ

all the sin of our old man and in doing this die with him in his death humble ourselves even

humiliate ourselves make a public statement that we now have put off our old sinfull self and

are joining Christ in his death and in his resurrection to new life. We must in scriputral words

consider ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in ( united with - submitted to ) Christ Jesus.

our old man died when he died . Our new life is due to our submitting to Christ we cannot live

it on our own but only in so much as we will submit our selves to live as he gives us the strength

to live for God. We try things on our own and we will fail badly.

Baptism symbolizes our union with christ because in our being submurged we act our dying and

in comeing up we act out riseing. Thus we publically act out what is happening in us spiritually.

Baptism brings about and symbolises our union with Christ. Christ died and rose for our sins. When we received Him as our Saviour and are bubtised, we are spiritually united to and with Him. The act of babtism is a symbol of his death, burrial and resurrection hense the symbol of our death and resurrection too.

When we die to sin and live for Christ our desire is to please only Him. One with Christ. Grafted in truth.

We can not live worldly any longer-- put aside things of old and desire Christlike things. Unite with Christ. Burying our sins. Not thinking of the past life and forging ahead. Sinning no more.

By immersion, we will be resurrected on the Last Day and be united with Christ.

Baptism is an act of obedience, for Christ tells us to "Believe and be baptized).

I was baptized as a baby, but it didn't really mean anything to me until much later in life when I began to know Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and to have a relationship with Him. I became a born-again-Christian when I gave my heart to Jesus and about 4 months later I was baptized by full immersion.

I believe that baptism by full immersion symbolises that I am baptized into His death, washed clean of all my past sins and as I come up out of the water, I join the Lord in resurection life.

Bless you all - love Greta

Remember, be kind and loving to those who disagree with you. Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? It is kinda like Spring closet cleaning. You throw out all the old stuff that you used to wear and get all new stuff. With jesus, we died and all the old self is dead too and now with Him, we are a whole new closet.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ? When Jesus died, He was buried, well placed into a tomb because that is how they used to do back then. When I was baptized, I was so excited, I felt like a bride getting ready for the wedding day. When I was dunked it represented my death, going down under and when I came up, it represented me being all washed off, up and into a new life. Just like they do in the Jordan River. Eqypt on one side represents slavery and bondage and on the other side of the Jordan river is Israel. You walk away from sin and down into the Jordan River where your sins are washed away and up into the side of Israel, the side of God.

Our union with Christ was through his death. Our sins died and was buried through Him. Baptism symbolize's our union with Christ because we have a new life in Him. We were set free from the power of sin. We are no longer slaves to sin because Christ was raised from the dead, never to die again. He broke the power of sin when He died. Buried correspond's to baptism by his death. Christ was raised from the dead corresponds to new life in Christ by his resurrection.

• 2 weeks later...

We are uniting ourselves with Christ by accepting His death on the cross as payment for our sins. When we are baptized into his death and resurrection we are making a statement saying that we are uniting ourselves with Christ, the old is gone and the new has come. The visual picture of us being baptized is the symbolism of our union with Christ.

Baptism brings about our union with Christ as we are joined to Him, His death becomes our death, thereby uniting us with His death on Calvary.

Baptism symbolizes our union with Christ through the analogy of having died to our old life and risen to a new life in Christ Jesus.

In being baptized we are proclaiming our salvation in Jesus Christ. We are joining with Him/identifying with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection by being baptized. We unite in Jesus Christ as our old sin nature or natural man dies, is buried, and we resurrected as new creatures/new people in Jesus Christ -- followers of Christ -- Christians.

The process of baptism by immersion clearly identifies or joins the believer symbolicly with Jesus Christ, i.e. death, burial, and resurrection.

Baptism brings about our union with Christ in the sense that we are united with Him in death.

Baptism symbolizes our union with Christ in the sense that it represents us going through death,burial, and resurrection with Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

When Jesus talks about baptism, he seems to be referring to the single purpose for which He came to earth. In His case it was to save (be crucified). He asks the disciples if they can be baptised with the baptism He is baptised with. That doesn't seem to be the one John gave him, but rather the function that God the Father requires of Him. We have a baptism to be baptised with. It is unique to God's plan for us individually. It involves sacrifice of some sort. We die to all carnality and self indulgence and arise to God's purpose. That is what baptism really means.

So our unity with Jesus is a consequence of dying to our carnality and rising with Him to God's purpose for our lives. In purpose we are united, and that is the subject of His prayer before the crucifixion in John 17, that we should be one with Him and the Father.

Baptism is death by overwhelm (flood). Jesus was overwhelmed by His purpose and we are also overwhelmed by God's purpose which is actually brought alive in us (God's two edged sword brings life, not death, or life out of death.)

I think we have a purpose established in Heaven before we even arrived on earth, and possibly agreed to it with God before conception. That is our baptism. Physical baptism is our agreement/covenant in the matured, physical body with carnal death and with God's purpose for our lives.

Like a tree cutting is removed from the old rootstock and grafted into a new rootstock, so we are cut off from the old rootstock of sin and grafted into the new vine of righteousness. This is the change signified by baptism. We grow the fruit that we are intended to grow, but we can only do it successfully when grafted into the right rootstock. Jesus used this example of cuttings being grafted into the new vine. Baptism signifies the removal of the old to make way for the new. The life of the old rootstock no longer has access because we are now grafted into the new. We now have the blood of Christ running through our veins (figuratively, but also in spiritual reality).

• 1 month later...

It brings about a new life in Christ which comes when you bury your old life in the water as in a grave and when you come up you are a new person in Christ. We are symbolized by our new birth in Christ. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I was baptized in the Jordon River just like Jesus in 1997. It was an awesome experience. I was able to take a tour of the Holy Land that year. It was an amazing time. But most of all I cherish the Baptism.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ?

When we are baptized, it brings about our union with Christ as we are buried and resurrected in Christ.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

It symbolizes the death of our old life, and the resurrection of our new life in Christ. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Our baptism brings about union with Christ in that, through His death, he has broken the dominion sin has over our lives. In choosing to allow Christ to have dominion over our lives, we have union with Him and, through His grace, attempt to live according to His teachings.