JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Baptism and Union with Christ

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

Answer: I think Apostle Paul is talking about Baptism in Spiritual sense.We are baptized with Christ,in His death when we accept Him as our Lord and personal Saviour,that is our old sinful,dead spirit is finally put to rest,and New Spirit is born,the same spirit that raised Jesus from the dead now resides in us,in the form of HOLY SPIRIT,and only Jesus can give us the Holy Spirit,from the Heavenly Father.(John 16:7- Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you

We are immersed in His Holiness,and righteousness,in our union with Him,we become one,as we are being resurrected from our dead spirit.I believe this symbolizes our union with Christ,that God sees the Spirit of His Son in us,His Holiness,His righteousness,and Him calling us His beloved Son.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

- We have been buried with Him in baptism unto death (not to serve sin any longer) and as Christ was raised from the dead, so are we raised to walk in newness of life. We are dead to sin but alive to God through Jesus Christ.

- Our baptism with Christ symbolizes a Spiritual union not a Physical one.

• 4 weeks later...

Baptism brings about our union with Christ in that when we are submerged in the water we join Christ in His death for the sacrifice that he made for us on the Cross. It also symbolizes our emerging or rising out of the water the same way that Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of God; for us it means we are rising to live a new life in Christ. We are living under grace but it does not give us license to keep sinning or living our old life. We cannot be both dead to sin and alive in Christ at the same time. The death of Christ is applied to kill sin in your life; while the resurrection of Christ is applied to give you

• 1 month later...

OK, firstly I was raised as a Baptist and the doctrine I was taught was to follow our Lord through the waters of Baptism. Jesus commanded His disciples to go to all nations and preach the Gospel and to baptize them. By being baptized ourselves we are falling into line behind Jesus and following his instructions. We are united with Him.

Our baptism by immersion unites us with Jesus by our symbolically being united with His death and resurrection. In effect we, by this symbolic act, partake in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ?

We are in union with Him because just as He died physically so we die to sin in the spiritual when we are baptised.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

It symbolises our union with Christ because as we are immersed in water we symbolise death and being buried. When we rise from the water it symbolises rising from the dead.

• 4 weeks later...

The sense baptism brings about in our union with Christ is that when we are baptised, we are immerced in the water with our old life and then we come back up in our new life. It is the ACT of Being Born Again!!!

My understanding from scripture is that baptism is merely an outward symbol of what has already happened in one's life. For me I became a Christian at a very young age and grew over time into a more thorogh awareness of what it meant to be a true follower of Christ. During Junior High years I tried to fit in with the crowd and was actually proud that no one could tell I was any different from them because I was a Christian. I learned that if we truly die to self and let God be in controll of our lives then we really will act differently than those around us. Jesus was my savior but the time came when I decided I wanted him to be Lord of my life as well and really take over contol of my life. I then chose to be baptized. This was my way of obeying God in this step symbolizing that I had let go of trying to control my own life (which really was letting sin control me), and giving the control over to God. For me this was an important step in my Christian life. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Baptism brings about our union with Christ, that after we give our hearts to the Lord and make Him the Head of our Lives, we become one with Him, live our lives as he would want us to, living sinless lives, developing the Christ-like nature in us every day. When we are Baptized with Christ, we take on the nature of Christ, and everything about us changes. When baptism takes place it symbolizes death and burial, resurrection and New Life.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Baptism is a declaration of commitment to Christ, his death, his burial and his resurrection. We have to reckon the old sin nature as dead, identifying with Christ's death on the cross where he died carrying all the sins of the world. It is a powerful symbol because when we go under the water we identify with Christ's death and burial, and when we come up out of the water we identify with his resurrection.

• 3 months later...

It brings about our union with Christ as we are along side Him - joined to him, so to speak. We died to sin and sin no longer had power over us, and we were ressurrected into a new life. He died, we died. He was ressurrected, we were resurrected, thus we are united with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Baptism is a symbolic way of sharing our rebirth. We let the world know we have died with Christ at Calvary and have been reborn in Him. We believe Christ's death was so that our sins are forgiven and by His grace was are now free to live with joy knowing we are living for Him.

(Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

Baptism brings about our union with Christ through our conversion from the mortal man to the spiritual man which symbolises our union with Christ. We who were of sin and condemnation now have life everlasting because Christ has paid the ransom through his death on the cross. Through baptism we leave behind our worldly self and put on the new self, a heavenly self, which is of Christ. This union with Christ enables us to live a righteous life free from the domination of sin. We have victory over sin.

The rite of baptism which involves immersing our whole body under water symbolises the death and burial of our worldly self and exchange it with the spirit man which represents Christ. As we immerse we die and as we rise we are resurrected into a new life with Christ.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our

union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union

with Christ?

Through baptism,we died and were buried with Christ. Baptism also symbolizes that we are alive and have a new life in him just as he arose from the dead.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When we go into the water we die to sin . When we come up we are resurrected to new life where sin cannot hold us

• 1 month later...

1Peter 3

20to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.e It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Baptism brings about our union with Christ by the fact we are by faith believing that Christ died and rose on the third day as according to scripture.

In the sacrament of baptism we are displaying our belief in the Jesus Christ the only Son of God our heavenly Father. When we are immersed in water we are symbolically joining Christ in His death, when we are raised from the water we symbolically raised from the dead with Christ and share in the new life with Him.     

• 7 months later...

Paul is speaking mystically when he says " don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" In the same fashion John the Baptist says "  ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ When Jesus baptizes he baptizes with the Holy Spirit. Thus when we are baptized with the Holy Spirit we  are buried in him in the sense that we are in Christ,we are members of the body of Christ, crucified to Christ's suffering. when we are filled with the Spirit we live a life in Christ. All our thoughts, all our actions are buried in His mission  and goals. Our mind is always on Christ and we attempt to act in Christ. In this sense we are truly baptized in Christ.

Our baptism can symbolize our union in Christ as one is 'buried' in the water and arises in Christ. Yet there is still the true burying in Christ as we are baptized in the Holy Spirit.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

When our sins were forgiven by Christ on the cross we were " offered new life" in order to claim this gift we must be reborn.

In order to be "reborn" we need to be baptised. It is through being baptism that we become united with Christ.

Being submerged equates to death (the old self dies) we are washed clean,after we resurface we are ready to take on a "new life" (spiritual) just as Jesus did when He was resurrected.

• 2 years later...

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=800

A most interesting, yet deep discussion here. It is in a spiritual sense that baptism brings about our union with Christ. We are baptized into Christ’s death which would be symbolized by the going down into the water and here is where it gets complicated for me. If coming up out of the water symbolizes our hope of the resurrection with Christ could it be that it also represents being born again, the new person who died to sin? I think I’m trying to view this through worldly eyes because this concept is what led me to this study and I’m still having a rough time taking it in.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ?

I imagine myself, with my sinfulness, attached to Christ, me going down into the water as Christ took on my sin at Calvary and coming up out of the water cleansed of my sin.  So it is much more than Christ dying “for” me as it is me - in a spiritual sense - dying “with” Christ.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

as I said above in an individual sense, I died to my old self, a slave to sin, and now have eternal life, a slave to Christ, to live with him in eternity.