JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Baptism and Union with Christ

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

I like how The Message Bible paraphrases these verses, Or didn't you realize we packed up and left there for good? That is what happened in baptism. When we went under the water, we left the old country of sin behind; when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

Rom 6:3 Don't you know that all who share in Christ Jesus by being baptized also share in his death?

Rom 6:4 When we were baptized, we died and were buried with Christ. We were baptized, so that we would live a new life, as Christ was raised to life by the glory of God the Father.

Rom 6:5 If we shared in Jesus' death by being baptized, we will be raised to life with him.

When we are baptized with Christ we are intimately connected or joined together...therefore as Christ our Saviour died and was put into the grave so we also did. There adding to that thought we also can naturally except that we will also be united with him in His resurrection

Our baptism shows our union with Christ because the immersion of water represents his death and our death to sin and the coming out of the water represents his resurection and our new life...oh, I just answered both of the questions.

Rom 6:3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into union with Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Rom 6:4 Therefore, through baptism we were buried with him into his death so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the Father's glory, we too may live an entirely new life.

Rom 6:5 For if we have become united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

Baptism brings our union with Christ because all who were baptized into His union with Christ were baptised into his death. Baptisim symbolizes our union with Christ because all of them who are baptized when they go under water they are dead and when they come out they are living an entire new life.

• 2 months later...

The way that I have understood this concept is that thru baptism we are outwardly identifying ourselves with Christ in a public setting and demontrating the spiritual union that has taken place in us the moment we believed. According to the definition of baptism it means to be grafted, to be so united that two become one. The death that Christ died became my death at the moment of salvation and what happened to Him happened to me. Amazing! The Greek word "baptizo" means " to envelop" "to inmerse". In the noun form means "an element which has the power to influence or change that which it envelops". Or it refers to one thing being brought under the transforming power or influence of another. According to the deepest meaning of the word "baptizo", you aren't momentarily dipped into Christ to go in and out of Him. You are truly inmersed, submerged in Him never to be taken out again. We are "incorporated" into Christ: the picture that this brings to mind is when I am cooking and I am asked to incorporate an ingredient into the mixture. The ingredient never again can separate itself from the recipe, nor can it ever be the same again. It is forever changed.

Thru the spititual babtism that took place I have become one with Christ and now He is in me and I am in Him. Never again do I walk alone, never again do I find myself without Counselor or at a loss. He is real and He lives in me and I in Him. Glory and power to Him. What an awesome thing our God has done for those who trust in Him.

• 4 weeks later...

:PQ1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ?

Paul is saying: It is a fact that we were united with Christ in his death and have continued to grow together with him in his death. Our union with Christ is obviously spiritual rather than physical, but that doesn't make it unreal. Paul speaks of our union with Christ's death as a spiritual reality, not just a figure, analogy, metaphor, or symbol for something else.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

Since baptism by immersion symbolizes Christ's resurrection, Paul sees in baptism the promise of our own resurrection on the Last Day, the point in the future when we will be united with him, in that now we too will have resurrection bodies like his (1 Corinthians 15:35-57).

Beyond typifying Christ's burial and resurrection, Paul indicates that rising up out of the water is symbolic of us rising from the grave to a new life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Baptism brings about my union with Christ because in going under the water I die with Him and in rising from the water I become resurrected with Him.

IT IS NOT I THAT LIVES BUT CHRIST CRUCIFIED IN ME.

Baptism is a physical representation of the spiritual death and life I undergo in Jesus.

How I wish I could have understood this at the time of my baptism.

Baptism is a showing of ones faith. In taking the action of baptising we are showing our death to sin and our life to Christ. The movement with water whether submersion or touching of droplits is a symbolic jester of us being washed of our old life of sin, and breathing in the new life of Christ. As Jesus died for sins, yet not His ,and then He was raised ,so we are dead to sin and are given a newness of life to live also in Christ. :rolleyes:

The moment I first believed and accepted Jesus ,Christ as my Lord and Saviour I became united with Him through His cross work, Jesus bridged the gapping void at Calvary.

AT CALVARY

Years I spent in vanity and pride,

Caring not my Lord was crucified,

Knowing not it was for me He died on Calvary.

Refrain

Mercy there was great, and grace was free;

Pardon there was multiplied to me;

There my burdened soul found liberty at Calvary.

By God's Word at last my sin I learned;

Then I trembled at the law I'd spurned,

Till my guilty soul imploring turned to Calvary.

Refrain

Now I've given to Jesus everything,

Now I gladly own Him as my King,

Now my raptured soul can only sing of Calvary!

Refrain

Oh, the love that drew salvation's plan!

Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!

Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span at Calvary!

Refrain,

When I was baptised into the Lord my old man had to die, I left him behind and walk in the new man the God man with Jesus, what a union, what a great salvation.

• 1 month later...

Our baptism brings about our union with Christ by joining us to Him in His death on the cross of Calvary and in the grave; and in joining us to Him in His resurrection so that we, too, who believe and trust in Him as His chosen ones, will be resurrected someday from our graves to join Him in heavenly glory and to be just as He is as our Lord and Savior when we will know the extent of what baptism and all the other Christian doctrines are because we will see Him as He is there. As I said before, our baptism symbolizes our union with Christ as His chosen people in His death and His resurrection from the dead. Amen!

• 1 month later...

I feel we have somewhat lost the sense of baptism's importance these days. I too am guilty of this--I don't really think about it that much. For practical reasons, most churches today make baptism a special event. You attend a workshop, learn about baptism, then go get baptized with several people watching and a big lunch afterwards. All of these things are important. You should know what you're doing then celebrate accordingly. However, it seems in the Bible that belief and baptism happened simultaneously. The baptism didn't save you, but you did it right away, even if you had to pull the chariot over to the side of the road and didn't have time to invite your family and friends! I think doing a baptism immediately after committing to Christ can be powerful for the new believer because that physical experience illustrates death to sin. Many of us (especially me) pray a prayer of salvation then struggle for awhile not really understanding that we are indeed new creations no longer enslaved to sin. It took me a long time to understand that. I waited two years between coming to faith and getting baptized.

• 2 months later...

I never thought about the rite of baptism being death with Christ. I have always been associated with baptizing infants, and see it as a time when the parents, who are Christian, want to bring their child up in the Christian faith. The Holy Spirit becomes a part of the child's life (but maybe it was already anyways). Thinking about dying with and rising with Christ, I see the meaning of immersion and it sounds very symbolic, but having been baptized and later confirmed in the Catholic church, and not by immersion, I don't feel I need to do that to be united with Christ. I almost look at the confirmation that my kids are going through now as more important, because they are old enough to make the choice to follow Christ, but at the same time, they are only going through the classes because my husband and I are making them! (just as it was for me). Being united with Christ is a lifelong process, and regular connections are what save us.

Q1. (Romans 6:3-5) In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ? In baptism we die with Christ and are raised again with Him. This is not meant in some symbolic sense but in a real, albeit spiritual sense. In the act of baptism, we die with Christ at a specific point in time (on the Cross). We are then raised up with him, again, at a specific point in time (His resurrection)and in this we become united with the risen Christ as our head.

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ? I don't think that it is mainly intended to be symbolic. Rather, it is real, in a spiritual sense, that in baptism we die and are raised again with Christ. What happens, physically, at a baptism by total immersion is, of course, a good physical analogy of what is happening on a spiritual level. We are lowered into the water, analogous to a burial at death, and are then raised up out of the water as if coming up from burial and death. In that sense, the physical act of baptism by total immersion is a symbol of what is really happening. However, it is the reality of what is going on which is important and that is why, personally, I don't think that it matters whether baptism is by total immersion or in some other form.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

Being physically baptised and the act of consciously accepting Christ as God's son as our Lord and Savior illustrates John 15. Baptism with Christ shows that we are His, and He is living within us because He loves us. We have made a decision to stop sinning and to live our lives as Jesus would have us to live.

Baptism symbolizes our union with Christ in a few ways. When entering into water immersion, the act of being lowered into the water indicates that we are leaving our sin and the desire to sin behind. The act of being in the water symbolizes our sins being forgiven, and the coming out of the water demonstrates that we are now entering into a new life. Thinking about this, I wonder what all John the Baptist told the believers who were baptised before he baptised them. This would be interesting to know.

• 1 month later...

Romans 6:3 says that there is a sense in which baptism unites us with Christ. In baptism we become one with him. The Apostle Paul tells us that baptism symbolize our union with Christ in that it has united us with Christ in his death. The union suggests that Christ's nature has grown alongside our nature and become fused with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Being baptized into Christ unites us to Him, and it also identifies us with His death; just as Jesus died to this earthly life on the cross, when we are baptized into Him, we were baptized into the death that He died. Also, just as Christ rose from the dead into a new life, we are also to walk (live) in a new way; we cannot go on living the sinful life we used to live, controlled by the passions of our flesh. Furthermore, Christ's physical resurrection from the dead gives us hope that in Him, when we die, in Him we will live in Heaven; then, at His return to earth, we will be physically resurrected into life eternal; baptism is a symbol of these things: our share in Christ's death and resurrection.

• 1 month later...

Remember, be kind and loving to those who disagree with you.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=800

By being baptised, we must be completely immersed (buried) in water. We died to sin and Christ died for our sins, therefore creating a union with Him.

As per above Christ died for our sins, so we must die to sin. Coming up out of the water represents resurrection, just as Christ was resurrected. We are united with Christ in His death and Resurrection, we have unbroken fellowship with God through Christ. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANS - We identify with him in His death on the cross. In baptism we are baptized into His death and become, as it were, one with Him. Baptis symbolizes not only our having died to sin and the old nature, but also his death and burial, and our identification with Him.

• 2 weeks later...

In what sense does baptism bring about our union with Christ?

In baptism we are made one with Christ Jesus in His death on the cross....we die His death.....

In what sense does baptism symbolize our union with Christ?

By following in baptism we are dying the death with Jesus, but we also are being resurrected with Him into glory. This is our promise, our hope.

• 4 weeks later...

The sense that baptism brings about our union with Christ is that we have been resurrected with him.

The sense that baptism symbolizes our union with Christ is that it symbolizes our dying with him and being buried with him and then being resurrected with him.

• 3 weeks later...

a)When we come to the knowledge of Christ, then we begin to understand the work of the cross in a new sense. We begin to understand the death, the burial and resurrection works done through the cross. Just as He died, was buried and resurrected we to must be. Baptism symbolises/allows us to be in union with Christ in old sinful self being buried with Him in His death and being reborn into His resurrection with a new life with Him as our Head and us as His body. We may die as a natural woman, but our spirit will never die, our soul will (our mind, will and emotions) never die, we truly live forever as He lives. :)B) Publically we acknowledge to the world that we are one with Christ, we become fused with Him. We confess that Jesus is lord of our life, & also recognize what He has done on the cross and that our eternal life is now under the authority of our Heavenly Father. :D