JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obedience and Slavery

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

A slave has no choice but to obey, we are to be love slaves of God. The flesh always wants to disobey God, but as we are slaves of God, we are to deny the flesh and be slaves instead to obeying God. Sin has a way of capturing those who give in to its lusts, making them slaves to it. Slavery to sin is broken by confessing to God and asking for his help, we have to renounce and repent of all sinful behavior, then willingly obey God. As we obey God and walk in righteousness, relying on Him for strength, we become overcomers.

God wanting me to surrender past regrets and hurts, and not to think about those things from long ago.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

The thing you obey, is the thing you are enslaved to. When doing acts of righteously, you are a slave to righteously which leads to eternal life. When we sin, we are slaves to sin. It becomes our ruler. To me, if I'm a slave to righteousness, I'm a slave to God. If I'm enslaved to sin, I'm a slave to the enemy.

Such bondage is broken when we do not YIELD to sin. We have been freed from slavery to sin, so why would we want to become slaves again. The bondage to slavery to sin was broken on the Cross. The more we obey, the more of a habit we get into of doing so. We want to do so because we love Jesus.

The areas of obedience for me is to wait on Him and to trust Him through the grief of my mom's death. It seems as if my heart will never heal, but I know that all things work together for good to them that love God and who are called according to His purpose. I know He said, "Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted." I stand on these words regardless of my feelings.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

When we obey someone completely, we become slaves. As slaves we are controlled by that someone, doing everything as directed by that person.

Righteousness is from God. If we are doing acts of righteousness, then we are slaves to God. On the other hand Satan is the father of sin. Doing bad things or sinful things is an indication that we are dominated by Satan and therfore are slaves to Satan. God has purposed that we break our bondage to sin. That is why he sent His only Son to die on the cross so that our sins will be forgiven. This act of accepting His Son, Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, signifying our faith to follow or obey Him, will break our bondage to sin. We have victory over sin and can live a righteous life being empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Presently I feel that I am not devoting enough time to read and meditate on His Word. I believe God wants me to spend more time with him by praying and meditating on His Word daily.

• 11 months later...

I am learning, by the testimonies of others, that the successful walk in the Christian faith, is a process, and not to be awarded without the desire for re-alignment with principles firmly laid down in the Word. So a constant examination of one's heart is required and anything untoward to be brought before the Lord for correction.

• 1 month later...

Obedience has to do what takes our attention mostly. We cannot serve 2 masters. only one . Only Christ must deserve my attention and affection and if He does then I ought to follow Him as His slave. Doing acts to God shows we are devoted to Him and we want a closer relationship with Him. Our bondage is broken when we lose our concentration and our love and our desire to the the object of our desire. Gods grace and Holy Spirit must come into our lives to make us obedient so we can break the bondage to sin.. In the areas of ****

• 1 month later...

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Question one: Obedience is an action word. It suggest that you pledge an allegiance to something. Obedience has nothing to do with sin or righteousness, but who or what you chose to pledge that obedience to does and what you are obedient to, you are a slave to as we'll.

Question two: it shows your belief towards the way and will of God.

Question three: it shows your belief in the lies of Satan.

Question four: The word says that the power of God, through the Holy Spirit, which leads in all spiritual truth breaks that yoke of bondage. Come unto me all you who are heavy laden end and burdened down with those weights of sin, and I will give you rest. John 3:16 And I will give you life and life more abundantly. Matthew 5. Blessed is the man that hungers and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.

Question 5: God requires us to be obedient unto his will and unto his way and where there is no obedience, there is rebellion and spiritual death.

Question six: Fasting from some worldly things for a period of time and giving more of my personal time to him.

• 4 months later...

3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=807

Whomever we consistently obey is our master. We then are slaves to either satan or God. If we consistently give ourselves to acts of righteousness, we are then ruled by God, and thereby slaves of righteousness, (God). If we consistently doing bad things, sin, we are being controlled by evil therefore we are slaves to sin. Praise be to God! Jesus has broken that bondage if we believe in Him, accept Him as our redeemer and present our bodies to acts of righteousness. We our slaves to whatever masters us. We must become slaves to righteousness. I myself struggle with taking care of my temple. I need to eat right and get some physical activity. I need to be physically fit in order to serve my Lord, Jesus Christ.

• 10 months later...

When we become obedient to sin, then it is our master and we are it's slave. If we are obedient to Christ, he is our master and we become slaves of righteousness.

By doing acts of kindness to our neighbors, sharing the gospel or allowing Christ to use us to further the Kingdom of God, we are displaying to others that we are slaves to the Lord and share in His Glory.

If we continually do things that hurt our neighbors or we take advantage of them or we allow greed and pride to rule us, we are showing that we are obedient to sin and we are it's slave.

The bondage and slavery to sin is broken when we submit our heart, soul and mind to Christ, when we submit our bodily members to be used by Him and for His Glory. For Christ has over come sin and it's penalties of death, therefor we share in His life and overcome sin.

When we have a sin or habit that becomes normal to use, the Holy Spirit convicts us of the wrong and helps us to overcome this obedience to the sin. By allowing Christ to be our master he helps our faith to overcome sin, thus we share in Christ joy. However, I feel I'm not quit putting this into words of how I would like to express it. Daily we are being sanctified by the Holy Spirit, to bring us to the point where Christ wants us so He can use us for His Glory and the Kingdom of Heaven.      

• 7 months later...

Slavery is all about obedience. The centurion understood. He told Jesus that when he say come the servant comes and when he(the centurion says go he goeth, (Luke 7.8)  Slavery involves complete and absolute obedience or severe punishment on ti death if the master requires. 

In the same fashion we are to obey God as he requires. However Jesus says "My yoke is easy my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30) Acts of righteousness are acts performed under the power of the Holy Spirit that comes upon us as we are justified and begin to be sanctified unto the Lord.

Bad things cannot be performed when we are under the power of the Holy Spirit. Hence when one is doing bad acts that one must be under the power of evil. 

Bondage to slavery can be broken by giving our allegiance to God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Our obedience than is to the Lord.

God is asking me to continue a ministry of visitation which as been interrupted by illness. 

• 3 years later...

I never really thought about it this way, but in an essence of sorts it appears that everybody is in one way or another, enslaved. One could be enslaved to doing good or bad. We always hear of people who are “married” to their job to the point that their work is the only thing on their mind. They bring their work home with them and have no time for God or family. Some people are just the opposite.

The question is: who controls your enslavement? I personally find it hard to think of myself as a slave of God because He set me free. The beauty of being one of God’s people is the fact that I have the freedom to just do something out of heart without thinking that I did it as an act of demonstration of slavery to God.

God does not take control of your mind the way Satan does. Maybe it is just the word “slave” that has me riled. Before I knew Christ, I must admit that I was a slave to sin and probably, if sin categorizes commitment to sin, I was probably with an upstanding commitment to not doing good. If doing acts of righteousness demonstrates my slavery to God, so be it. I remember at one time asking God to “program” so to speak, my mind so that I could do no wrong. I still do much that I wish I didn’t and don’t do all I should but there has been a major shift in personal policy in my ways as I look back. Doing bad things demonstrates a slavery which needs to be broken. There are all kinds of chains a person could be tied up with. Alcohol, drugs, smoking are examples of these chains. When I came to Christ I wore all of these.

He didn’t break them all at once but over the years he removed them. There are still things where I can see changes taking place, but the flag of victory has been on a narrowing path over the years. Slavery to bad things can only be broken by God. Sometimes it takes lots of prayer (and there have been many times where it involved others praying for me), and there are also times when the “leap of faith” or “jumping out of the boat” is required. You might struggle, swimming through a stormy sea but if you are persistent you will eventually rest on the warm sand of the beach and quickly forget about the whole thing, if you are willing to “let it go” and trust God and be obedient to His teachings.

Speaking of “letting go”, I heard another version of the monkey story. An empty coconut shell is used instead of a cage though. A small hole, only big enough to slide his hand in is cut into the side of the shell. A chain is connected to the shell and attached to a tree. A couple of shiny coins, or anything representing the glamour of the ways of the world is placed inside the shell for bait. The monkey reaches inside, grabs the bait, and because he will not let go he cannot withdraw his hand because it is balled up in a fist. He only needs to “let it go” and he can be free, but the worldly attraction inside of that coconut shell has enslaved him.

Presently, God is speaking to me in a big way about losing some of the excess pounds on my body which means I will have to let go of fresh baked cinnamon rolls, cookies, and other things which I pull out of the oven. It’s a tough one, but obedience to God is prevailing (slowly, but surely).

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2008 at 1:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Slaves consistently obey their masters. 

We are slaves to whomever we choose to obey - Doing acts of righteousness are a manifestation of being under the control of the Holy Spirit while doing bad things reflects being under the control of the sinful nature. 

Slavery to sin is broken by accepting the finished work of Christ in liberating us, and by deliberately living a life of obedience to God.

No man can serve two masters; True obedience to God doesn't allow room for obedience to the sinful nature.

• 4 months later...

When we choose to sin and disobey God and do it more than once we are forming a pattern of obedience and becoming like slaves. Then we are trained to obey and follow after the world instead of God.

When I choose to listen to and do what God tells me to do then I am creating a pattern of obedience to Him; like a slave does to his or her master.

When we choose to do what we know is wrong then we are sinning and a slave to it. Our very acts or deeds chain us or enslave us to sin.

Slavery or bondage is broken when we choose to accept Jesus as our savior and Lord of our life and follw Him whole heartedly. When we ask Him to forgive us when we do sin and let the Holy Spirit guide us instead.

Obedience is crucial if we want to be free and live for Him. We need to make a habit of listening and obeying Him instead of sinning. Choosing to follow Him instead of doing things our own way. Obeying Him because of what He has done for us and who He is; will help us stay on track.

My problem is nt spending enough time in prayer and Bible study. Letting other things get in the way of prayer and not having enough interest or ambition to do it. I know I need to listen to music and get back to where I need to be.

• 4 weeks later...

As Jesus said in the Gospel of John Slave obey their master and He also said that we cannot have 2 masters because we will love one and hate the other or love one and despise the other as we serve that master. It shows that you no longer desire to obey sin and its temptations or your body and its lusts because you prefer to obey the Lord and His voice. When you sin you are saying you don't care what people think of you so you do whatever you want no matter what. It is broken when you choose to come to Christ and ask for forgiveness of your sins and openly repent of your sins and turn away from them. Obedience is a direct act of choosing not to do what you did before you knew Christ. My recovery, my fitness, my nutrition and also my eating plan. 

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

As much as we might think we are independent, we will be ruled by the things we love and desire. We aren’t neutral beings. Paul uses “slavery” to mean that that which we listen to,  follow after and succumb. A heart desire to be and do what pleases God demonstrates my willing surrender to Jesus as my Lord. Living a sinful life exhibits a heart desire to let sin and self be on the throne. 
Only through a new birth in Christ can the bondage of sin be broken. He removes the shackles, but we must cooperate with this new freedom and begin listening to, pursuing and obeying our new Master. Obedience has “muscle memory” and as I exercise God honoring ways, I become strong. 
Personally, I’m at a stage in life where my children are grown and I have more discretionary time. There are so many needs outside my home that I want to be willing to say “yes, Lord”, I’d be glad to join you”. I don’t want to be concerned with convenience, or personal cost, but to serve Him unreservedly.

• 2 months later...

((Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

(A slave automatically obeys. No argument.) As it is written in the notes, a pattern of obedience is the distinctive mark of a slave. 

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

Doing acts of righteousness ought to come automatically without mulling them over. We are obedient to right living as it were. We choose to do what God would have us do or live the way He would have us live. So this then demonstrates our 'slavery' to God. 

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

As above in opposite deeds we reflect slavery to sin. Eg with cursing, stealing etc. Doing this shows a slavery to it

How is such a slavery or bondage broken?

It can be broken by confessing it to God and Him breaking the fetters which bind us. 

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage?

We are no longer obedient to the prompting of the anger, ****, gossip, slander, stealing, etc. Then the bondage is broken. 

In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

My thought life and forgiving myself of my past where i fell again and again to the same sin. 

• 2 years later...

What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

In my experience, God knows my weaknesses and keeps presenting me with scenarios or temptations until I finally obey. Then, comes a period of testing. Those same weaknesses are presented in a form that's incredibly tempting, not just a little bit, which causes me to be internally torn ... until I obey. Obedience takes practice. It's a behavior that has to be done from many different angles until it's ingrained and part of the "new man."

Until it's ingrained, I'm enslaved to that behavior. The only way of breaking the chains of slavery is obedience.

God is speaking to me very strongly in areas of finance, now. I have not slipped, but am very tempted because of external pressure to do so. Obedience is taking root. I'm obeying and leaving the consequences to God.