JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obedience and Slavery

:rolleyes: Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

We must remember that we are slaves to the one we obey and when we obey God by acts of righteousness, we are being a slave to righteousness. When we make a decision to sin, we become a slave to sin and this decision to sin can become addictive. A pattern can be developed whether it be to righteousness or to sin. We must strive to develop this pattern of obeying God. Studying the WORD, prayer, study group with other Christians and good works will help us develop this pattern of being a slave to righteousness. God is especially speaking to me in the area of sharing what He has entrusted to me with others who are in need.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

What ever one chooses to follow, that is what one becomes a slave to. To follow is to obey since you will do what ever it asks or tells you to do. When one does righteous acts to God it is showing that you are His, that you are willing, obeying His command, the same if you do bad things you are showing that you are listening to satan, that you are his slave. You break that bondage buy giving it over to Christ. When you listen to your heart you become obedient to God, for He knows your heart and for its obedience it leads you to righteousness. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

Before my salvation I was a slave to sin and my actions reflected that my master was the devil.

But by the grace of God in the giving of His son Jesus I became under new ownership.

My new master is Jesus Christ my directions are given by the Holy Spirit and through Gods word.

My life has been transformed, my horizons have moved, I am now a servant of the King of Kings, I love my new master.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!

O what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation, purchase of God,

born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

This is my story, this is my song,

praising my Savior all the day long;

this is my story, this is my song,

praising my Savior all the day long.

• 2 weeks later...

1 A slave will always obey its master. If I obey my flesh, my master is satan, if I obey my Spirit my master is Jesus

2 If satan is my master I will show it in sinful ways - lying cheating gossip

If Jesus is my master I wil show it in righteous ways - looking out for others, honouring God

3 Only the power of the Holy Spirit can break the bondage. Once I have acccepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, the Holy Spirit will guide, chide, discipline and teach me.

3 I need to know that I am under the control of the Holy Spirit and I need to CHOOSE to obey Him moment by moment.

4 I need obedience in the control of my thought life and in relinquishing control to God.

• 2 months later...

I know I am not a slave to sin because of my standing in God's grace. However, I often feel like I allow myself to behave and think that way. Sometimes I feel I am enslaved by my obsessive thoughts, which always focus on worry: "What if this happens? What if this person is mad at me?" Sometimes I go through a whole day without really thinking upon the Lord because of these thoughts. I would appear to be a slave, but I am not, and I don't have to be. So what is the answer? I think I need to continually remind myself of this central teaching in Romans. The thoughts are not in control; God is.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? To be a slave to someone means making yourself totally obedient to that person, obedient without question and so that you are totally dependent on that person for the order of your life. What Paul is saying is that we can either be in that position in relation to sin or in relation to God.

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? When we become Christians, we die to sin and are raised again in newness o life in Christ. If we have properly died to sin then we cannot go on living in sin and must therefore live in righteousness. By living in righteousness, we are being obedient to God. Acts of righteousness are an outward manifestation of this inward obedience. It is unfortunate that the concept of slavery has such a negative connotation when trying to understand what Paul is saying about being a slave to righteousness and to God. I have never met anyone who aspires to be a slave, but maybe the concept of slavery has changed since the times of Paul, when actually there were a very large number of people who were slaves. In any event, being a slave to God is a critical, and life changing part of the Christian path.

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? Basically, the opposite of the answer above, except that it seems that slavery to sin is our default mode!

How is such a slavery or bondage broken? By becoming a Christian, dying with Christ and rising again as a new man, wholeheartedly and unreservedly obedient to Christ.

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? The only way to break the bondage is to become a slave to God. That involves following a new master (God) and switching our obedience from an obedience to sin to an obedience to God.

In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life? I think that this is a lifelong thing. There will always be areas where I fall short of a total and complete obedience to God. At the moment there are 2 particular areas in my life where God is telling me that I am still hanging on to parts of my old self and therefore haven't given everything up to Him. Through prayer and with the Spirits guidance, I am overcoming my own resistance in these areas and through Christ will triumph.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

Slaves have no choice other than to be obedient or face the consequences. Paul said that if people choose to be obedient to sin, the consequences are death. If people choose to obey God, they will have eternal life with Him. It's our choice.

By doing acts of righteousness, we are showing our love for God. We do whatever He wants and needs us to do because we love Him. Paul did everything for God out of love and therefore considered himself a slave of love for Him.

Living a life of sin is slavery to sin and sinners will ultimately experience damnation.

The only way to break free of a life of sinful bondage is for one to realize that he or she is without God, is a sinner, and needs to repent of their sins. Also, he or she must confess that Jesus is God's only Son, and that he or she wants Him in their heart and life. Also, the person must want to live his or her life for Him.

A fresh obedience in my life means that I must daily listen to His voice and act upon what He says. Also, I must have a willing heart to want to listen to Him.

• 1 month later...

Verse 16 tells us that we are slaves to the one we obey. When you perform righteous acts you are a slave to God, on the other hand when you commit to doing bad things you become a slave to sin. Slavery to sin is only broken when you accept Jesus as Savior and and allow the Spirit of God to help you break the bondage of slavery to sin.

God is speaking to me about a fresh obedience to commitment to fasting, praying and the study of His Word.

• 1 month later...

With slavery you have to be obedient to your master, in other words you have to do what your master says which means you have to do God

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=807

Rom 6:15-18 What, then? Shall we sin, because we are not under law but under God's grace? By no means! (16) Surely you know that when you surrender yourselves as slaves to obey someone, you are in fact the slaves of the master you obey---either of sin, which results in death, or of obedience, which results in being put right with God. (17) But thanks be to God! For though at one time you were slaves to sin, you have obeyed with all your heart the truths found in the teaching you received. (18) You were set free from sin and became the slaves of righteousness.

We have a choice to be slaves to sin or to be obedient which will bring us into right standing with God. We are bound to Christ as obedient servants.

We are slaves of righteousness, as we are bound to Christ who is our Master, therefore we must obey Him.

By doing bad things, we are showing that we are still bound to sin, to our old self and old nature.

This slavery to sin or bondage can only be broken by being obedient to Christ, letting Him reign supreme in our lives, by being born again.

God is speaking to me to quit smoking, I have cut down from 60 to about 10 a day but I believe He wants me to quit completely. Also to be obedient to his word, to become a true husband and father to my wife and children as in Ephesians. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

ANS - In the spiritual sense, whoever we obey, beit God's Word & truth, or our own desires, and the false teachings of the enemy, determines who you are slaves to.

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? n what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

ANS - By the fruits in your life, those around you can tell who you serve, beit God or Satan and the worldly system.

How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

ANS - We must repent of our sins, yield ourselves to Christ, without reserve, and began to obey him wholeheartedly.

• 2 weeks later...

What does obedience have to do with slavery?

We are obedient tp the one we serve, our master.....whether we be a slave to sin or a slave to the will of God.

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

When we love and want to serve God we are slaves to Him, we desire to do only the will of God and not slip into the pull of sin.

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

When we do bad things we become a slave to sin in that it is addictive in its power over us....we think that what does this really matter, then the next thing and so on until it is like a domino affect and we succomb to the slavery of sin.

How is such a slavery or bondage broken?

This bondage is broken by the price that Christ Jesus paid for us on the cross, we no longer have to be a slave to sin but can be a slave to righteousness.

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

Obedience to Chirst has the power to break the hold that sin once played over us. Yes, we are human and still fight the fight....but such a price was paid on Calvary that it makes me want to follow God more closely. I think that I deal with my emotions.....not to let them get the best of me, whether through an unkind word, thought, or temper toward ones that I love.

• 4 weeks later...

Obedience has to do with slavery in that we obey the one that has control of us.

The way that acts of righteousness demonstrates our slavery to God is we obey the one that has control over us. The evil one never has us do anything that is righteous.

The way that doing bad things demonstrates a slavery to sin is that we obey the one that has control over us. Only sin would make us do bad things.

Slavery or bondage us broken by letting go of the things that holds us to slavery.

The part that obedience has in breaking this bondage is if we obey what God is telling us to do then we can no longer listen to the evil one.

The areas that God speaking to me about a fresh obedience in my life is in the area of self control.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Answer:

Obedience with regards to slavery was how Apostle Paul Characterized, our Nature.We obey in such a way,that it is sometimes called Blind obedience..because we don

• 2 weeks later...

Obedience is like slavery in that whatever I choose to obey has dominion over me. When I do acts of righteousness, I demonstrate that I am a slave to God because obedience to God leads to righteousness. Slaves to sin always do bad things because they cannot do anything else. This bondage is broken when we choose to follow the teachings of Christ. I believe that God is speaking to me about trusting Him in all things in order to experience obedience anew in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

- A pattern of obedience is the distinctive mark of a slave.

- Because by doing acts of righteousness I am allowing myself to be a slave to God.

- By doing bad things I am allowing myself to be a slave to sin.

- Slavery or bondage is broken by the cross of Christ, we are free.

- Wholehearted obedience to Christ teachings and inner desire to obey Christ manifesting itself in obedience breaks this bondage.

- I need to change my ways and put God first. Need to seek Him more for direction and not just do what I feel like.

He needs to be more in my life than what I allow.

• 4 weeks later...

You are servant to whom you obey. If we practice sin on a regular basis, sin is our master, therefore we are serving sin, we are slaves to sin. By the power of the Holy Spirit in doing acts of righteousness we are manifesting our desire to obey God. We become slaves to righteous living. We are servant to God. In the same way to sin we are servants to sin. If we obey sin's calling it is our master. It has dominion or authority over us. WE are set free from this bond when we are unionized with Christ by His death on the cross, His burial and His resurrection. Christ set us free from the power of sin. He did all the work. We just have to have faith in Him and His acts and accept what He is giving us. Obedience to Christ's teaching sets us free from sin. I need to submit to the Holy Spirit when it is ministering unto me in every situation I find myself in.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

Slaves have to obey their master. In this context we're slaves to sin until we decide to follow Christ. Then we become slaves to righteousness. We obey the Bible's teaching.

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

Doing acts of righteousness is a command of God, simple as that.

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

A man is a slave to anything that has mastered him. If we do bad things, there's a choice involved there. We chose to obey sin.

How is such a slavery or bondage broken?

By the substitutionary death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He died for our sins, once and for all and rose triumphant over sin and death. Our being united with Christ in His death and resurrection means that sin's bondage over us is broken.

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage?

We have to chose to obey God. Habitual sin is hard to break so we have to actually practice being obedient to God and to resisting the temptation to continue in sin.

In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

Mainly I think in my attitude to others. In the music industry there are so many people with their own secret agendas who think nothing of lying through their teeth about me and other high profile independent operators to ruin my career and reputation in order to further their own ends. I won't go into the details here but there's a real problem I have in forgiving the people who've poisoned so many peoples minds against me and are continuing to do so. I make up my mind to forgive those people and I try my best to mean it, but they continue in their actions. True forgiveness means not retaliating and not taking opportunities to exact revenge when those opportunities present. Like most evil people they sometimes get too clever by half and metaphorically shoot themselves in the foot. I shouldn't gloat over that but I must confess I do. True forgiveness also means not telling all and sundry about how I've been wronged. It's hard not to talk about things that profoundly affect me as much as they do.

Praying for my enemies and asking God to bless the very people who are trying to put me out of business is something I cannot yet bring myself to do. I mean, they're telling female venue managers that I'm some sort of rapist or something. Whatever is being said works so well that the female managers in question will not even pick up the phone to speak with me any more once the lie has been told in whatever persuasive way they manage to tell it. How can I ask God to bless someone who is doing that to me? I find myself echoing David's prayers in the Psalms where he calls on God to judge in his favor and to condemn whose enemies of his.

• 2 weeks later...

It is no good if I say that I am free from slavery of sin but still obey the call of sin. When I obey the flesh to sin then even though I am free I am still doing the bidding of the former and so technically am the slave of the former.

But when I choose to obey God then I show the I have truly been set free to righteousness.

For it is who we obey that is our master. Till I show that I can do other than the bidding of sin then I am truly free from slavery of sin. For it is when I obey that I show who my master is, a servant can only do the bidding of its master.

God is speaking to me about my temper, the need to be right and forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

(Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

Obedience is an act of slavery to the extent that we obey God. When we obey God we become His slave.

A. In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

Just as above, when we do right by God we become His slave.

B. In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

Because when we do things wrong we become a slave to sin.

C. How is such a slavery or bondage broken?

By doing the will of God we can break the bonds of sin.

D. What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage?

Obedience to God has always been the breaking of the bondage of sin.

E. In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

My language sometimes is not very pleasing to God, and also my attitude. Sometimes, I get frustrated and then I take out my frustrations on whoever is in my vicinity.

• 2 months later...

It is comforting to feel we have a choice; though one must remember that God reigns over everything and that means everything, including the moment. Yes, life is a journey, life is a series of tests. We can get the feeling and the proof that He loves us; better yet is letting go of passion pride and independence knowing His way is far better and wiser. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. How I fear that my unconscious habits might overcome my thoughts, and have me drifting from Him. How thankful for His grace and mercy, and unconditional love. So is a labor of grateful love called slavery? Is a life of obedience slavery, or is it the best choice given how horrible the world can be to you at any given moment? Experience of happy obedience reigning over foolish habits, and the prayer as they dwindle from the mind. That is a condition worth developing, so call it slavery if you wish. It is great to be loved and guided by such a wise and loving God.

• 1 month later...

Once you allow sin to run your life you will obey it without question.

It demonstrates your acceptance and obedience to God's law.

By obeying God and His laws we begin to break the bondage of sin.

Prayer, Bible Study, Proper use of Member, Honesty, etc.

• 3 months later...

I used to smoke cigarretts-a pack a day. I was a slave to that cig! I had to have it! I told people that if I weren't smoking, someone would die! Then, I lost my good-paying job. Things changed drastically. I had to decide what I could no longer afford to buy, and let it go. Because I'm saved, and I know smoking is wrong, I begged God to remove the urge to smoke and I asked that He remove the nicotine addiction from me. I decided that I wanted to do right, and now that I can no longer afford them, cigs had to go! So-now that I am cig-free, there are times when I am tempted to smoke. Just one cig-it won't hurt. Who will know? God will know! And, I'll be addicted to nicotine all over again! No way! When God sets us free, we are truly free! God set me free! He took the need to smoke away, and healed me of the addiction. His love is worth everything to me!