JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obedience and Slavery

I am going to disagree with the notion that "you are a slave to whoever you obey."

I think one can be a slave either by being dominated, or by their own submission. But one does not cease to be a slave by ceasing to obey! A slave who disobeys remains a slave, and one who must face the consequences of his or her disobedience.

The only slaves who have no choice but to obey are those who are literally a slave to sin (i.e., dominated by sin). The irony of being a slave to sin is that your obedience to sin is hardly rewarded. I know I don't need to remind anyone here that "the wages of sin is death."

Once the power of sin has been broken in your life, you have the freedom to choose whom you will obey. By submitting to God as Lord and Master, you become a "slave" but a willing slave.

Choosing obedience to God is how one's bondage to sin comes to be broken. I believe continued obedience results in a growing, positive bond with one's new Master, while disobedience exposes one to the "old master" again. However, being disobedient to God does not mean that you no longer belong to Him, or that you are a slave to sin again.

Oswald Chambers wrote: "But if we turn away from obedience for even one second, darkness and death are immediately at work again." from My Utmost For His Highest:

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/10/10/devotion.aspx?year=2008

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? We fall in line with what holds us

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? I fall in line with Gods energy and have a feeling of being totally at ease

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? I can see that doing bad things is done not wholeheartedly and with dis-ease. How is such a slavery or bondage broken? slavery to sin is broken by hearing a higher energy, there is no higher energy than love, and this truth prevails

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? we surrender to the highest, and certainly want to obey that which is held high, namely God

In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life? Christian fellowship (I am going to a Christianity Explored course and it feels good)

many thanks again for these lessons, they are helping me greatly

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? The law never had any provision for pardon or salvation. Under the law, those who disobeyed, were found guilty and put to death. The wages of sin, is death. There is no doubt or misunderstanding here. The law never could save us and it never will. Jesus did not do away with the law, He stated this Himself. He also said that to teach others that they should disobey the commandments, those who taught men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus said that He would not do away with the tiniest part of the law ( one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law) and that it would be in effect until heaven and earth had passed away. (Matthew 5: 17-19) He said that He came to fulfil the law AND the prophets. He gave us the provision in the law, the pardon that we needed, He fulfilled this part of the law and as for the words of the prophets, He fulfilled some of what they had prophesied. Heaven and earth have not passed and neither has the law, because there is more that He will fulfill. The law forbid all sin. But under Grace, we have been given our pardon, if only we believe in Jesus Chris as our Savior who has saved us from eternal death.

Paul objects here that forgiveness of sin, was an encouragement to sin.

Paul is implying in verse 15 that this is a false charge, since grace; forgiveness, implied that the sinner had died to sin. It is those who have been freed from the dominion of sin who are delivered from its penalties. And we can thank God for His mercy and Grace for sending Jesus who shed His blood as the atonement, the covering which we all need. Now, no animal needs to be sacrificed anymore, for He is the ultimate, Lamb of God, who died, once.... for all. We are not however, given any free night off now and then to sin

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

When we are obedient to Christ, we are in slavery to His righteousness. Being obedient from the heart. The acts of righteousness demonstrate slavery to God in my life every day by asking Him to forgive me of my sins, known or unknown, I continually make my decision to follow Christ, and my salvation through Christ Jesus. Doing bad things shows you have decided to follow sin instead of Christ. We have not repented with a sincere heart and taken God at his word or really believed in Him. The bondage is broken by the word and grace of God. Obedience plays a part by our conforming to and in compliance with the gospel. God is dealing with me in a fresh obedience by trusting Him completely, taking Him at his word, stepping out on my faith.

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery? In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God? In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin? How is such a slavery or bondage broken? What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage? In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

As already stated I obey that to which I am a slave. If I am showing fruits of the Spirit and obeying God then I am His slave.

If I habitually sin then I am a slave to sin. I believe it is possible to be a slave to sin while being saved. Not a lot is taught about righteous or living in Christs' power.

I can break my bondage to sin by believing that I am set free by Jesus' death and choosing to live accordingly. IN CHEERFUL, LOVING OBEDIENCE TO GOD.

God has recently called me to a fresh obedience in worry and trust. Praise God I am through the other side.

Romans 6:15-18,We are bound to Christ(slavery to obedience)or through obedience;Christ Jesus gives us the power to do good rather than evil.To obey God with your heart(heart obedience)Matthew 22:27.Doing bad things is slavery to sin,we can not serve two masters.You break that bondage to sin by giving your heart soul and mind to Jesus.Follow his teachings that is in the word of God(Holy Bible).I believe at this point of time in my life,God is speaking to me about love.I also find myself being negitive about many things(uncertain)Also God is speaking to me about fear.Love conquers all fear! Right?I believe when I am not obedient to God,this opens the door for the enemy to move in:I sometimes end up suffering a bit before I realize I should have done what God had asked of me.I have found out many times,its not my way ,its Gods way,Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

a. We are a slave to anything we obey . if sin we are a slave to sin ,,,, if satan and evil we are a slave to satan or evil.

b.If we are doing good godly righteous things we are obeying God are in slavery to God

c. if we are doing sinful , fleshly and awfull things evil things we are in slavery to Satan and evil.

d to change our bondage we to change our mindset if evil we need to repent and determine we are going to obey God and good and righetousness. We need to know what is good and godly to do and this takes good fellowship and teaching and reading and studying god's ways and then

a conscious act of making a choice each time we do an action or say something that we will say

and do righetous thing.

Today god is speaking to me in the area of not " going up the miff tree. I have in the past gotten angry and miffed about things I was doing. if doing a ministry in church a person angered me I

would decide I quit and leave the post and pastor would be left to find a replcement. This year

I am working on what pastor and I have agreed on going to him and talking it out uhen I get e

upset. He gave me back some responsibilities and before as he says " You go up the miff tree"

come talk. So far it is working out fine

a. We are a slave to anything we obey . if sin we are a slave to sin ,,,, if satan and evil we are a slave to satan or evil.

b.If we are doing good godly righteous things we are obeying God are in slavery to God

c. if we are doing sinful , fleshly and awfull things evil things we are in slavery to Satan and evil.

d to change our bondage we to change our mindset if evil we need to repent and determine we are going to obey God and good and righetousness. We need to know what is good and godly to do and this takes good fellowship and teaching and reading and studying god's ways and then

a conscious act of making a choice each time we do an action or say something that we will say

and do righetous thing.

Today god is speaking to me in the area of not " going up the miff tree. I have in the past gotten angry and miffed about things I was doing. if doing a ministry in church a person angered me I

would decide I quit and leave the post and pastor would be left to find a replcement. This year

I am working on what pastor and I have agreed on going to him and talking it out uhen I get e

upset. He gave me back some responsibilities and before as he says " You go up the miff tree"

come talk. So far it is working out fine

Slavery is being obedient to someone.

Acts of righteousness shows we are slaves to God because we are obeying Him.

Doing bad things shows we are slaves to sin because sin commands only the evil in us.

Such a bondage is broken when we wholeheartedly decide to leave sin and obey God.

The bondage is fully broken by our faith and belief in Jesus and through our obediance to God.

At the moment God is speaking to me about spending more quality time with Him, and not wasting my time on computer games. Praise God, He is making His point and I am hearing and heeding Him.

Obedience has to do with slavery in that you are in a sense a slave to the one you obey. If you obey sin then you are a slave to sin. If you obey Christ then He is your master.

Doing acts of righteousness demonstrates one's slavery to God in that one has chosen to obey God rather than sin.

Bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin in that we are in bondage to sin.

Such slavery or bondage is broken by realizing we have been set free by the blood of Christ.

The part obedience has in breaking this bondage is that we make a conscious decision to submit to God.

Lately the Lord has been impressing upon me to spend more time in reading my bible and spending more time in intercessory prayer.

A pattern of obedience is the distinctive mark of a slave -- to righteousness as well as to sin. God is all away freeing us from sin and death, so by obeying Him we are freeing ourselves from bondage to sin.

God is speaking to me about the **** in my life.

Whatever you obey,good or bad, you are a slave to it. Your slavery to God is demonstrated by your obedience in doing acts of righteousness. If we do bad things we are allowing sin to be our master. Slavery or bondage is broken when obedience to God comes from the heart. Sin has no hold on us when we stop obeying it. An area God is speaking to me about fresh obedience is in saying

When we were under the law, sin was our master, now we are bound to Christ, he is our Master, and He gives us power to do good rather than evil.He is a skilled Craftsman and He trains, shape, and mold us in the finer points of his craft. We all choose a master and patterns ourselves after him. Without Jesus, we would have no choice Thanks to Jesus, we can now choose God as our Master. We can now enjoy a new life and learn how to work for Him.

To obey wholeheartedly and to give ourselves fully to Him and to love Him. Like it says in Matthew 22:37 "with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

People are slaves to the masters that they obey, i.e. ****, work, alcohol, sex, etc. -- anything that doesn't glorify God or contradicts Godly standards. Christians have changed masters or in who they obey or follow. Whereas they were formerly slaves to sin, becoming Christians they have now become slaves, willing servants, to righteousness. Intentionally and compulsively doing bad things is a reflection of our slavery to the world.

Slavery to sin is broken by inviting Jesus Christ into one's life. A person is born again and becomes a new creature. The truth of Jesus Christ sets a person free. **** is an issue in my life that God is speaking to me about.

• 2 weeks later...

I can be lazy and not grasp opportunity to undertake my studies, but that means I'll have to settle for menial work, and won't be able to get out of it. I'm a slave to it. However, if I pass all my exams I'll become a professional which is entree to a different lifestyle. In the same way, if I remain disobedient to God my life will take a very different path than if I remain faithful to Him and learn His ways. I make choices, and I'm the product of the choices I make. If I make the right choices I get to choose my master. If not the master will choose me - and that will be sin.

The right choices are acts of righteousness, which are in line with His will, plan and purpose. If I do the right things it will be seen that I serve Jesus. I will become known as a Christian, or a servant of the Lord. People will approach me for advice on the things of God, or when love is needed.

Doing wrong things shows that I have not remained faithful to Christ, but am back tied up in the old world of sin, **** and selfish desire.

The old slavery is broken by a love relationship with Christ in which I desire to please Him rather than myself. He is my beloved. The scriptures show me how to please Him.

Obedience plays a huge part. I have now become a member of the royal household of God and need to behave accordingly, as a representative thereof. The scriptures tell me how. If I am to have His authority, then I must adopt His style. As a junior knight learned the art of being a knight through obedience to his master, so I will learn the art of being a child of God, and warrior in His army.

My need is to wait on God increasingly.

• 4 weeks later...

We will obey the master of our lives. It is that simple. If your mind tells you that you want a strawberry shake, and you obey by going and getting one, then you have obeyed your mind-or flesh. If your consience tells you not to get a strawberry shake-it will cause you to gain weight-and you don't get one, then you have obeyed The Spirit within you. Whoever you obey-that is your master. We must be careful to listen to our Master, and block out all other voices. It's all part of spiritual warfare.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

Because you are a slave to the one you obey, whether it be God or sin.

In way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

My acts of righteousness demonstrate my slavery to God because I am obedient to Him and His Word.

In what ways does doing bad things demonstrate a slavery to sin?

We are slaves to sin because we choose sin over being obedient to God. We let sin rule our lives instead of God.

How is such a slavery or bondage broken?

By living by God

• 2 weeks later...

What does obedience have to do with slavery?

A slave is obedent to his master.

In what way does doing acts of righteousness demonstrate your slavery to God?

If we do acts of righteousness it means that we are obedient master. God

The devil is master of sinfull acts, we were all borned into slavery under the devils mastery, thank to Adam.

I don't think slavery can be broken we are either slaves to the devil or to God. It is either black or white there is no gray. Paul says he is a slave to the gosipel.

What part does obedience have in breaking this bondage?

Again we are either obedient to one master or the other it is our choice.

In what areas is God speaking to you about a fresh obedience in your life?

Each day I need to kill the flesh to be obedient to the Spirit

• 2 weeks later...

What does obedience have to do with slavery? We all have a master over us, whether we want to accept it or not. God made it simple for us so we could grasp the truth. Either you choose to sin on your own or you choose to accept Christ and learn to live according to how He taught us. I believe we choose to show our slavery to God when we put down our selfish desires and seek to act according to His will. Sometimes we struggle to put down our own will and submit to His. It is our submission, by faith, to understand that His ways are higher than our own. Though it can be thought of as being a 'slave' to God, He allowed us to choose it for ourseves. Ultimately we are now free NOT to sin and can live a righteous life in Him.

In my own life, I have been struggling with the sin of procrastination and not taking care of my health as I should. God is nudging me to be more constructive. I believe eating healthier and exercise will give me the energy to do so!

What does obedience have to do with slavery? A decision to sin is a decision to obey satan. The habit of sin will lead to destruction.

Acts of righteousness will set you free from sin. Your decision to serve God will increase your desire and love for Him.

The word of God says there is no good thing in our flesh, if we do sinful things we know that God is not in it but we are under the rule of the devil.

This bondage can only be broken when we give our lives wholeheartedly over to God.

Studying God's Word, seeking Him, giving our life to Him totally and forsaking sins will break the ensnarement of sin in our lives.

In diligience in service to Him and to His children

• 2 months later...

Rom 6:15 What, then? Shall we sin, because we are not under law but under God's grace? By no means!

Rom 6:16 Surely you know that when you surrender yourselves as slaves to obey someone, you are in fact the slaves of the master you obey---either of sin, which results in death, or of obedience, which results in being put right with God.

Rom 6:17 But thanks be to God! For though at one time you were slaves to sin, you have obeyed with all your heart the truths found in the teaching you received.

Rom 6:18 You were set free from sin and became the slaves of righteousness.

When you are a slave you are to obey the one whom you are a slave too. Jesus paid the price for us and if we wish to follow Him He has teachings and rules that we must obey. We either follow the ways of the Lord or follow the ways of sin...you cant do both. To break the bondage of either a price has to be paid. Jesus paid the price we were unable to pay and we owe Him our everything therefore we must obey him. In my life many times I forget the debt I owe my Lord, and slip away from obedience to His Word, but He is forgiving each and every time I as Him for forgiveness and I know that I must follow the Lord and I know that without my reliance on Him my obedience will falter.

Rom 6:15 What, then, does this mean? Should we go on sinning because we are not under law but under grace? Of course not!

Rom 6:16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey-either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

Rom 6:17 But thank God that, though you were once slaves of sin, you became obedient from your hearts to that form of teaching with which you were entrusted!

Rom 6:18 And since you have been freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.

Obedience has to deal with slavery because if your a slave you have to obey. You do eveything Jesus says.You know its wrong but you do it anyway.When you accept Christ.

• 1 month later...

In the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve where totally free to choose right from wrong. Obedience or disobedience. They frelly chose to believe satan rather than God and thus sinned. Ever since then mankind has been ensalved to sin. WHen Christ came to die on our place and cut off the "electrical cord that supplies energy to our sinful nature" and ultimately the penalty of sin, He did so once for all. Now we have been made free to choose again like in the beginning. Although we have now a sinful nature, the world and satan against us we have been circumcised in our hearts and have been given a new disposition to obey and to love God.

Parting from the premise that we are free to obey then whomever we choose to obey we submit ourselves to this person. The slave does what is told! We are freedmen and can choose who do we submit ourselves to but to whomever we do we become that person's slave. Christ purchased my freedom and my forgiveness why would I betray Him by running to the arms of His enemy and the enemy of my soul and become his slave again. May it never be!

When I choose to do acts of righteousness I am fulfilling God's purposes for my life. I place myself before the Father to obey and do according to what He has for me. It is voluntarily and out of love for Him that I can do this otherwise it will not be accepted by Him. Doing "bad things" is a way of demonstrating how little I love God and who is seated in the throne of my heart! Doing anything to satisy myself, out of guilt, out of obligation or fear will not please God. "Bad things" can be the good things that we do for others or for God but not God's will for my life! Slavery or bondage to sin can be broken by choosing to obey God in every aspect that He calls us to. Even when we not desire to but we do obey He draws us more and more to Himself. There is freedom in obedience.

Sin is a like a chain that has been broken. Everytime that I obey God one more part of the chain is broken and I can learn from that and get closer to God.

I have been learning so much about the subject of obedience to God and sometimes I feel like Paul wishing to be with the Lord more so that being here on this earth. I sttrugle to understand these concepts and yet I know that many of them I have to believe by faith!

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 6:15-18). What does obedience have to do with slavery?

We are slaves to God or to sin............whomever we obey is our master.

My father used to tell me it is not what you say but what you do that tells the truth about your character. Our actions or righteous acts reflect who is our master. In the Bible, it says we cannot serve "two masters" ......we will love one and hate the other. We must come down on one side of the net or the other.

We all sin; however, continued bad deeds or trend sin demonstrate slavery to sin.

We must obey the form of teaching to which we have been entrusted. Through God's grace and our inner desire to seek and obey Christ's teaching, we can be set free.

We must obey Christ or Satan...........we must obedient to Christ not sin.

I can get off track due to my responsibilities to my work. Long hours of research and production lead inevitably to placing God in a secondary position. I go to Sunday School and church, but my daily spiritual life is strained. Due to time pressure, I neglect my daily spiritual life, my relationship with God. This behaviour, of course, leads to feelings of guilt.

On a positive note, I am certain God has placed me in the position I work in for his purpose and glory. I have prayed about it. Through prayer and scripture, it has come to me that if I am to work in this world, what I do, I do for Him. I have met and deal daily with many wonderful people of course, yet there is so much corruption, treachery and duplicity in the work world that it takes all I have to let God's light shine in my work. But with God's help, I press on.

This lesson on obedience or being a slave of righteousness resonates strongly through me. Yes, I think God is speaking to me about a fresh obedience.