JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Flesh, the Sinful Nature

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

Paul is talking about that part of me that is selfish-I only want what I want. My "flesh" desires all the wrong things this world has to offer. Me, me, my, my, I, I.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

The "flesh" in these verses is the fallen carnal human nature. The "flesh" is everything in us that is opposed to the work of the Spirit of God in us. It is what we need to deny and put to death

• 3 months later...

(Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

The flesh is in reference to the old sinful nature; the old man, as it were. It relates to that part of us that is prone to sin. It's the desire or urge to sin. It's our carnal nature.

• 4 weeks later...

By "flesh" Paul refers to our sinful nature which we inherited from Adam. This flesh has no capacity to do good. As it is written "But we are all like an unclean thing, and all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6). The flesh by its very nature ( inherited from Adam) is rebellious toward God. A rebellious spirit will cause us to do things opposite of what God would wants us to do. The only release from the flesh is obedience to God. If we repent of our sins and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, our sins are redeemed and we will no more be in bondage of sin but be righteous. The Holy Spirit guides and leads us to steer clear of sin. It empowers us to resist temptation and lies of the devil.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The flesh is everything that is in rebellion against God. It is all evil that we are capable of committing if we do not know Jesus as Saviour and if we do, we do not abide in Him and keep our eyes and our minds focused. It is a civil war, good against evil and to win we must have Gods spirit working in us, protecting us but we must do our part, we have to submit to God and not put ourselves into dangerous and tempting situations which pander to our weaknesses and failings. We have got to cling to God at all times

• 1 month later...

5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death.

Footnotes: Romans 7:5 In contexts like this, the Greek word for flesh (sarx) refers to the sinful state of human beings, often presented as a power in opposition to the Spirit.

Romans 8

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Statement: If you can find no peace, this could be the reason why. Carnal minded means to think and live worldly by continuing to be disobedient to the word and will of God.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So in my own words, I am saying that when we walk in opposition to the word of God we are in the flesh, or the superfluity of our own minds as well as our natural flesh, which the sensual and sexual desires dwell, we are in the flesh.

• 4 months later...

We were told in the lesson that there are four different uses for the word, "flesh".

One refers to the physical matter that makes up the body. The second usage is for the body itself.

Thirdly,the word "flesh" relates to the human race, and what we generally think of, is our "sinful nature".

• 10 months later...

Paul means by using the word flesh in chapters 7 and 8 of Romans, by trying to indicate to us that we are controlled by compulsive actions of the flesh. We know of no other alternative ways to live by. What ever our mind or flesh takes pleasure in, we go after with full impulsive behavior to satisfy that which makes us pursue happiness and fulfillment in our worldly life.     

• 7 months later...

It seems that within each of us there is two natures, that one which is good or tends towards  doing what is right. Also there is within us that which is evil or tends toward acting in evil ways. One is often able to see these conflicting natures in children who are torn between doing what the parents encourage as 'good' and towards their fleshy desires.  Paul refers to the second  as flesh or sinful nature as it is translated by the NIV..

Paul in  (Galatians 5:19-21) describes the fleshy desires as "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like." Dr. Ralph probably, for most of us today, describes our fleshy acts as "The flesh motivates the selfishness we sometimes feel, the whining about our circumstances, the petty jealousies, the jockeying for power in the office and in our marriages, the lure of ***********, the desire for money and possessions, and all the rest." We often do not like these fleshy desires but oh how easy to give in to such desires. Yes, we have weakness of the flesh but God has provided by His grace the sacrifice of His son so that our transgressions are separated from us and we can approach the Lord as righteous. we are justified by Christ. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Paul is talking about humans in the rawest state, an un-repentant, unsaved, state which only doesn’t drive faster than the speed limit because of the penalty involved, or perhaps not caring and in search of a thrill, breaks that speed limit as compared to someone who lives in the spirit, who would obey it without thought of consequence. The person in the flesh is the one who is constantly in search of happiness and is easily driven to do things which can get him in trouble. For every mountain they get to the top of, there is always something more rewarding to achieve. Easily trapped into the restraints of drugs/alcohol where they lose all they have acquired, the hopelessness of the vicious cycle causing many to surrender to the life which only ends in death. Life in the flesh is not a happy, peaceful place in which to exist. All in all, life in the flesh is a rebellious state against God. There is no peace or happiness. The only end to life in the flesh is death.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in theseverses?

The physical, mortal, I will say, vessel in which I reside this side of the resurrection. Sinful as a result of the fall, thus selfish an self centered naturally.

• 1 year later...

He means our old nature that we inherited from Adam. It caused us to rebel against God and sin. We were born into sin and are unable to change it ourselves. Instead we do those thinga that God hates. Even now we need the power of the Holy Spirit to help us live for the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe he means our heart and inner workings like mind for like Jeremiah says the heart is deceitfully wicked who can know it? I also know that because of the flesh we continually are fighting against it in order to obey the Lord in certain areas of our lives. 

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times inchapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

I understand Paul to mean the sinful, corrupt nature that resides in every human heart. From that nature comes sinful passions and actions. Our “flesh” is the source of every evil affection, self-seeking pursuit, and rebellious thought and action in opposition to God and His ways. For the believer it is the defeated nature that still remains in us, but it has been crucified with Christ, and therefore not dictating or reigning over us.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Earlier, or perhaps in another study, Pastor Ralph referred to the "old man." I think of the flesh as the old man or the aspects of me that have to be rooted out so I can be made new.

Thankfully, there is a "new man," too, one that battles the old man until my death. Battles won mean that new man is dominating the old. Slowly, the battlefield will be overrun by new men chasing after the old.