JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Flesh, the Sinful Nature

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

It is the old unregenerate sin self, not yet under the command of God

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sinful nature is my old, unregenerate self. Before I knew Jesus, I was a slave to the world, when I knew Jesus, I became new and re-born spiritually.

My old self is still alive, but powerless. It is not I that lives, but Jesus that lives in me.

• 1 month later...

I love how Paul chooses to use the word "flesh" in his original writings. I like it so much better than "sinful nature" because it suggests the beautiful but messy bodies we live in on earth. The body is programmed for immediate gratification, for feeding basic desires. If you look at his list of sins, most of these failings have to do with giving in to some sort of immediate desire. Sex, drinking, and orgies are obvious. But even jealousy, discord, and materialism stem from not wanting to wait for God's provision or take the time to reflect and forgive. We give in to how we feel NOW!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

Without analyzing it too much, I guess I did think of "flesh" as being the weakness I have that I want things I know aren't good for me. Your definition put into words what I thought somewhere in my mind. I agree with poetmom (below) that it sounds more acceptable than "sinful nature". Our "flesh" is part of life but we can choose to try to overcome it.

• 1 month later...

The "flesh" means (I want to say "sinful nature"!) the condition of the spiritual heart before a person was saved, or accepted to live for Jesus. The "flesh" is the complete opposite of living the way God wants a person to live for Him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=810

Paul is referring to our rebellious nature, which is opposite to what God wants for us. Even though we know it is wrong to do it, our sinful nature allows us to be tempted and to fall into sin. We always want more or better, wether it be another woman, a car, a better home, money. God has provided us with all of these, yet our sinful rebellious nature wants more. Do not let the flesh become weak otherwise we will succumb to its evil desires. :D

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=810

Paul is referring to our rebellious nature, which is opposite to what God wants for us. Even though we know it is wrong to do it, our sinful nature allows us to be tempted and to fall into sin. We always want more or better, wether it be another woman, a car, a better home, money. God has provided us with all of these, yet our sinful rebellious nature wants more. Do not let the flesh become weak otherwise we will succumb to its evil desires. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Flesh can mean:

- the material we’re made off

- the human body

- a human being

- the rebellious human nature

In these verses, Paul means the rebellious human nature: what we want ourselves. Most times, this is the opposite of what God wants.

ANS - Our sinful, selfish, unrighteousness nature - the old nature, the old man, our fallen nature which is rebellious against God and leads us to all the sins as described in Galatians 5:19-21

• 2 weeks later...

Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

Paul reders to our human body, our relationship to humankind, our physical porperties that distinguish us as human and our human sin nature that seems to follow or haunt us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

;Answer:FLESH here means ---State,Form, Nature.. of an individual,whether you are Saved(In Spirit),or dead(In Flesh).Flesh is our Sinfull,Fallen Nature that we inherit from Adam,not to our own works,or choice.All of us,have passed through this stage in our Life..for all have sinned and fall short to the glory of God.(Romans 3;23)

• 2 weeks later...

The flesh is the human nature which is selfish and must be submitted to God every day so that we "walk by faith and not by sight" (2 Cor. 5:7). Until we enter Paradise with Christ, our flesh will always be influenced by the fallen world that we live in.

• 5 weeks later...

Things that rise up in you that the human nature wants to do that are not of God. It is our sinful flesh. The things that we are told not to do, we do.

• 4 weeks later...

In these verses flesh is spiritual rather than physical. It is in the mind or heart. It is our nature to sin as human beings. Our nature is hostile, or an enemy to God and His law and we cannot submit to God's way of life on our own even if we try to.

We are prone to lie, steal, cheat, commit sexual sins, commit murder, envy and all the works of the flesh, the sinful nature. In our minds we do not want to do these things but we cannot help ourselves because it is just our nature to commit these acts. [Thankfully Jesus made it possible that we do not have to submit to the temptations that come our way.]

• 1 month later...

The term "flesh" in the New Testament writings usually refers to the old me . . the carnal me . . the physical body in which I still live until I depart this life. It's also called a "tent" . . a "clay jar", etc. Those terms emphasize the temporary nature of the flesh. Flesh also means the old way of life, the life ruled by carnal desires. It also refers to our mindset. Our minds are living inside our bodies, made of flesh. Our physical bodies have real and legitimate needs and our minds are under pressure to come up with plans to fulfill those needs. Those plans that our minds make are very often sinful in God's eyes.

The flesh is continuously at odds with God's plan for us. Being part of this world, the flesh is under Satan's control to varying degrees. The flesh is almost like the enemy of God, in some ways.

I can see how some misguided but well meaning pious men and women years ago used to punish the flesh with self inflicted pain. They mistakenly believed they could purify the flesh with pain and suffering. I recently watched Pillars of the Earth, that's why that thought came to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion flesh is man's innate desire to do things his own way which is usually contrary to what God wants us to do.

• 3 weeks later...

The word "flesh" in each of these occassions is the carnal body we have today. The sinful body, the old body before we allowed Jesus into our heart. We will have this flesh until we die, then we will be in our "Heavenly" body...

• 2 weeks later...

The word "flesh" in these verses means the sinful nature to which we were born. The body that we will have until we die and meet our Heavenly Father...

• 3 months later...

In Chapters seven and eight the word "flesh" actually has four definitions. The first three, which are morally neutral, are: the physical matter ( making up the human body), the human body itself, and a human being. The fourth is the actual description of our being...the rebellious human being and our Human Value Systems (the flesh), dominated by an opposition to God's Value System.