JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Flesh, the Sinful Nature

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

To be in the "flesh" means to be under the control and domination of sin.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

WHAT DOES PAUL MEAN BY "FLESH" IN THESE VERSES?

I THINK WHAT PAUL MEAN BY FLESH IS THAT AS WE KNOW THAT THIS IS CONSIDER AS SINFUL NATURE,ITS THE PART OF HUMAN BEING THAT STANDS IN OPPOSITION TO GOD"S VALUE SYSTEM. FLESH IS THE BODY WHICH IS DOMINATED BY SIN. THE FLESH MOTIVATE THE SELFISHNESS WE SOMETHIMES FEEL WANTING THINGS THAT WE CANNOT GET WHICH LEADS US TO DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING TO GET IT. THE BOOK OF GALATIANS 5. 19-21, GIVES A BROAD DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THE ACTS OF SINFUL NATURE ARE.

1. The works of our flesh are mentioned in Galatians 5:19-21;

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The flesh motivates the selfishness we sometimes feel, the whining about our circumstances, the petty jealousies, the jockeying for power in the office and in our marriages, the lure of ***********, the desire for money and possessions, and all the rest. In 7:14-25 we'll explore our struggle with the flesh. In 8:1-17 we'll see how the Spirit can enable us to live free of the flesh.

This can't be said any better!

Paul is referring to my fallen, sinful self. The emotional, thinking side that wants its' own way, to be heard, to be understood, to be god. That lives in rebellion and refuses to bow to God.

Paul is talking about the old era in which the Law was that under which one served sin, or under which one was married to sin. Now, in the new relationship with Christ, one serves not under sin but under the Spirit. Since the word flesh is used, sarx in the greek teaches us about the external, the body in which we have been given to live in is, by law, subject to sins curse, which is death and before Christ, we are married to sin. Under the new covenant with Christ, we are not under sin

Romans 7:5,Our body is a miracle in itself.God made us.We can see,feel,touch.We have desires.We all have diffrent appetites,Because we are flesh I believe we have to take control of the things we do.Hopefully I choose to do good.That my sinful nature is defeated because of my walk with Christ Jesus.My oldself dies (sinful nature)and my new self takes over.This does not mean I will be perfect,but I will improve,and grow into a better christian as I journey in this life time.

By 'flesh', Paul is referring to our 'old sinful nature' that we obeyed when we were slaves to sin.

It is all the temptations we fell into; all the ways we pamper ourselves like glutteny, laziness, etc., and our self-centredness resulting in spite, selfishness, envy and greed.

"Flesh" in the verses mentioned here refers to the rebelious sinful nature of man. It is that inherited Adam's nature that is not regenerated and is prone to commit sin.

I feel that paul is presenting as the flesh all thoughts emotions acts that we do and have that are

under the controll of our sinfull selfish controll. Areas in us that are not given by us to be under

the influence of the Holy Spirit.

Flesh in this context is the desire within us that lures and motivates us to commit sin. To indulge in un-Godly worldly desires and activities.

• 3 weeks later...

I think "flesh" means all those functions that are performed in the natural, like animals, in response to whatever messages the flesh gives. In other words it is animal nature. This may be very intelligent and even disciplined, but it doesn't tap into God's purposes for mankind. It doesn't get the big picture. It is basically self -orientated, self-serving, based in the "I wants" and comfortable zone of life.

• 3 weeks later...

Flesh means that part of me that wants to do bad things. There is the flesh, or human part, and then there is the spirit part that wants to obey God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think flesh means that part of me that I fight with all the time. My selfishness, desires of this world, laziness,unforgiveness and the big I that I want to all ways have things my way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rom 7:5 For while we were living in the flesh, sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies to bear fruit for death.

The flesh that Paul is talking about is those sinful feeling and desires that man carries. We desire personal pleasure that is derived from wants. Some of these show up a negative wants...the hurting of others and postive wants...things for ourselves. This shows up to me most in the change of what people see in what "religion" is about...the feel good doctrine...putting yourself first...you can be the ruler of your self...me...me...me...all of this is desires of the flesh

• 2 months later...

I think the lesson describes the flesh as phsical matter, the human body, the human being or simply the rebellious human nature. The last description is most appropriate as the rebellious human nature is against God perhaps is always with us. :) Fortunately, we have the Spirit within us who helps the keep the "flesh" or our rebellion against God from winning.

Paul means our Sinful nature.

• 1 month later...

I beieve it means the time before we were followers of Christ, born again as they say, living a life without Christ so we were living for ourselves and most likely in sin of some kind, living without spirit but those with Christ are in flesh but with spirit.

My 'old man' my sinful man the one before salvation,thankyou Lord for your wonderful saving grace.

Thankyou Lord for saving me.