JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

(1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

Paul was so zealous for the Jewish law that he greatly persecuted the church and put Stephen to death.

I believe he was saying if God could save him He can save anyone. God's grace transcends our ignorance, disbelief and wickedness. We should never give up praying for the worst of sinners. They will be trophies of His grace as am I and all of us are trophies of His grace as we all were the worst of sinners.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all:yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."1 Corinthians 15:10.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul's declaration of his state in Grace reminds the Jewish people of his credentials as one qualified to talk into their culture. As well as having "Been there; done that" as someone put it, he understands their psyche. He is saying "I understand. But it's not OK". He is reminding them that the only culture that matters is the one where God is center and radiates out; not one where God is acknowledged and allowed to filter in!

This is inspiring and fun!

WenC

I think Paul comments about his life to let the readers understand that no matter what we've done God is able to change us and bring out and "make us" such as he was made after he committed his life to God.

This is shared with Timothy I believe because, Timothy did not know Paul "before ". He only knew Paul after he started his work for the Lord. This was to let Timothy know that yes the person you see on a mission for God was not always this way.

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

I believe Paul was showing the proper use of the law in showing us our need for mercy, by using his own life as an example. The law is not supposed to cause pride because of our knowledge of it. But to humble us by having the correct view of ourselves before a Holy God. The purpose of the letter seems to be to humble its listeners and get them to focus on Gods grace.

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14)

1) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)?

A) Because when Paul was in the law, he was ridged, stiff much like the law itself but Paul shows the mercy of God even the grace of God by explaining who he was; a scoffer, one who hunted wond and did all that he could to bring harm to the name of Christ and for this he was thankful.

2) Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter?

A) He shared this with Timothy and the church to show them that if God could use him, if God could change him then His mercy and grace could extend to anyone.

3) How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

A) Because Paul used the contrast of the Law and Gods mercy and they knew that the law could not be kept so why go back, but Paul also wanted them to remember God's forgiveness and grace (unmerited faith).

This from The Message says it all:

"Here is a word you can take to heart and depend on:

Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I'm proof-

Public Sinner Number One- of someone who could never have make it

apart from sheer mercy. And now He shows me off- evidence of His endless

patience- to those who are right on the edge of trusting Him forever." 1 Timothy 1:15-16

Those "right on the edge of trusting him forever" are in churches and all around us..

pray for strength and boldness in bringing the Truth into the middle of it all...

0b75

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

Paul knows he was worthy to be punished by the law. He shares with Timothy and the church tolet them know that God is love, full of grace, mercy, and peace. That he can change even the worse sinner into a vessel for his kingdom. I think it can help get the church back in center by the people realizing God can redeem and change your life. He can bring peace and unity through the "glorious gospel".

By using himself as a fine example he was showing that what he had done was not God's way and also showed how he had changed his heart condition and thinking and doing things as God wanted things to be done. By changing his attitude and by God knowing his heart, he was shown mercy and patience.

With Christians today, this is a fine example of how if you change your heart condition and have the right attitude, God will show mercy and patience and love also but if you do not, you will not receive those blessings.

At one point Paul was a man zealous for the law. The law helps us to see our sins. All have sinned, including Paul. Paul was an apostle by the command of God and Jesus Christ. Paul helps other believers realize that Jesus Christ fulfilled the law, and He is patient and full of mercy. Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners.

He wanted them to know that he too had sinned and by the world's standards would not be considered to lead, or evangelize. But God does forgive, and if he could use him, he could use them as well. We must forget our past and forge to the new horizons proclaiming that Jesus lives.

Paul used his life as an example to help convince the Jews that they should accept Christ as the Messiah. Through all that Paul had done, God still forgave him and made him a messenger of the truth. Paul oftens uses himself as an example of the Grace of God and refers to himself as the 'chief of sinners.' In essence, Paul is saying, "If God can save me through His grace, He can save anyone!"

1. Paul is emphazising on the forgiving power of Christ, he does not have to be judged according to the law, but according to the mercies of God- There is always a turn around from captivity by God

2. He wanted them to be encouraged that they can still turn away from wickedness and become transformed people like him.

3. He wanted the church to know and understand that they are not condemned but rather God wanted them on the right track.

Often times people feel they have gone too far, sinned too much, committed an unforgivable sin. Paul uses his own life as an example that Jesus' sacrifice and victory over death can cover any sin. They should not be comparing sins or judging others as unsavable. The church must see that their job is to reach out to others, not become an exclusive club. By still looking to the law to save they are not recognizing the power of Christ's death and resurrection.

Paul comments on his own life after a paragraph on the law because he wants to explain how we should treat and use law rightly, and teach the true teachings of salvation, that is, through Christ not the law, that conforms to the glorious gospel entrusted to him with taking his own life as an appropriate example, which he, that is the worst of the sinner, was saved by God

Paul comments on his own life after a paragraph on the law because eventho he had broken the law as a sinner, Jesus still showed him mercy and grace.

Paul shares this with Timothy and the church whom will read his letter because he wants them to know that Christ came into the world to save sinners.

Sharing this might help the church back on center by helping members to remember that their true purpose is proclaiming the gospel. :)

Paul wanted the church, particularly those who had fallen into error, to know that Gods grace was available. He saw himself as the worst of sinners and Gods grace had transformed his life, so too it could transform theirs. Many probably knew his history, he too had been sidetracked from faith in God to false doctrine that was why he persecuted the church before he came to know Jesus.

Q1.The Lord showed mercy, poured out grace "abundantly", along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. These are blessings that the law has nothing to do with. The blessings of the Lord maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow but the law adds the opposite. Paul used this to explain to the false teachers that God is concerned more about us living the life that Christ died for us to have rather than us following the laws of the land.

Q2. Because anyone who lives for Christ must know the truth because it's the truth that sets us free but the law binds the perpetraitor.

Q3. It's easy to turn to the left or to the right if someone is teaching what's on those sides. During this time, there were all kinds of teachings but Paul had to remind them that God is still who HE was even in their fore-parents generations. Paul had spoken some words prior to this letter to the Romans that "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" ( Romans 10:17). Paul never swayed from the word of God after his conversion which is why he succeeded at leading others to Christ, thus getting the church back on center.

-Keep God First

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the Law? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might this help get the church back on center?

He wanted the church to know and also Timothy that He appreciates the Lord cause he gave him the strength to be faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ and to His service. He admits that he done wrong in the past and was a great persecutor who now knows about mercy and how to show it to others. He was ignorant and filled with unbelief but since the grace of the Lord was poured on Him he has now love and faith towards Jesus Christ. HE declares that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners and that he was the worst of them all so they need to keep in mind that it doesnt matter how bad we are that Christ can be able to show mercy to them,and showed unlimted patience while they get to reaquaint themselves in Christ Jesus. It helps the church to get back into focus that it is not about the twisted version of the gospel or false teaching but it is about love,faith,mercy,and unlimted patience in Christ Jesus and The Word of the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Paul was writing to a young man and there was the need to build his confidence in a him Paul. Paul had a checkered history as one who persecuted the church and therefore the was the need to proof to the young man that he is a changed person. It was more of an image building exercise. He also wanted Timothy to know what the grace of God can do for even the worst sinner.

I believe that the reason why Paul used a an excert of his own life in this letter to Paul was to remind them of the more important things that they need to be focused on. Somewhere down the road of ministry the Church in Ephesus got off track and got into debating things on what to teach, what to allow and to discriminate against in the church. This led to all kinds of disputes and quarrels among the members. So in this letter Paul reminds everyone who is reading or hearing the letter of the kind of man that he used to be. I believe that he shared that with Timothy to remind him that he is where he is because of the grace of God. He is trying, I believe to spare Timothy of getting into deep theological debates. I believe it is a means that Paul uses to keep Timothy humble. I think this will help the church today to remind us all about what is more important. What is more important fulfilling the Great Commission that Jesus gave to us or debating on things we should teach on in the church. Don't misunderstand this. We need teaching and exhortation, but if we are not fulfilling the Great Commission then we will not have anyone to teach or to exhort.