JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doxology

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology? What do we learn about praise? Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

We learn the attributes of God such as He is Eternal, Immortal, Invisible, and the only God. Praise should be done everyday, all day long, and everywhere. God deserves more praise than we could ever give Him. God is so worthy of all our praises because He loves us so much that He gave His one and only Son to die on the cross and then be resurrected on the third day to conquer death so we by faith believe and can receive eternal life through Salvation and Baptism. How can we ever praise our Lord and Savior enough for loving us so much? God is always faithful. Yes I praise God when I begin my personal prayer to Him. Praises brings blessings from God.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That He is "ETERNAL" - that is without beginning or ending - He is ageless which means that there is no deteriation or weakening - He is absolutely perfect which means He can not be any better because there is nothing better - nor does He lessen; He is "IMMORTAL" - is not subject to death or dying; He "INVISIBLE" - although we are not able to view or see Him with the natural eye, He does without any doubt exist; and that He is "THE ONLY GOD" - there is no one or no thing that is equal to Him or that can compare to Him. . . .

He alone is worthy of praise - He is to be reverenced and honored. . .

YES, JUDE 24, 25. . . This doxology encourages me and helps me to be much bolder in my servvice to Him and walk with Him. . . .

B)

• 4 months later...

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology? What do we learn about praise? Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

According to this Doxology, God is King, Immortal, Invisible and the ONLY TRUE GOD!!

No I have never tired to learn or speak one of these Doxologies. It reminds the reader of who we are speaking to, and who we are speaking about. We must in our dailey walk with Jesus learn to read and speak some of these doxologies if we want to lear and grow like Jesus wants us to.

• 2 months later...

From the doxology we learn the God is forever and ever and that He would always be glorified.

We learn we should be praising him at all times.

The effect that the doxology has on the speaker it lets him know that you are agreeing with him and that he should continue on with that line of thought.

• 1 month later...

From this doxology we learn that God only is worthy of praise. We should continually praise him.

No, I have never tried speaking out a doxology.

• 2 weeks later...

We learn from this doxology that God is:

-the King of Kings

-Eternal

-Immortal

-Invisible

-The Only God

-and Honor and Glory should be given Him forever and ever

Praise should continually be in our lips at all times.

By speaking out a doxology, you're actually agreeing and proclaiming who God is in your life.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I ha god is not someone to see with your eyes but he is in your heart and mind, also there is o0nly one god. It is important to praise god, it is good for our souls to express ourselves. God deserves praise! I,ve learned that god is the king, no one is higher. That god is eternal and everlasting, what we say out lound seems to be more real and accountable.

• 1 year later...

We learn from this doxology that God is the unseen/invisible eternal King. In other words, God is incorruptible or imperishable. God in His essense is invisible. Men have seen appearances of God in the OT, and the Lord Jesus fully revealed God to us in visible form, but the fact remains that God Himself is invisible to human eyes. He is spoken of as God who alone is wise. In the final analysis, all wisdom come from God. See James 1:5.

Praise honors and acknowledges God's place in the universe, the world, and our lives. I often sing or speak a doxology in my personal and family devotional/worship time. It makes worship seem/feel like worship and seems to create a warmer/closer relationship with God.

• 1 month later...

The doxology describes God as eternal (having no end), immortal (being incorruptible and imperishable), invisible (unseen), and "the only God" being the only wise God...representing a firm Jewish-Christian monotheism.

Praise is the reverence and honor that we offer God. When we glorify Him, we lift Him higher in recognition of status. In my prayer time, I always offer up thanksgivings, give honor to, and reverence God. He is worthy.

Scripture tells us that we must reverence God. Hebrew 12:28 "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God accepting with reverence and godly fear." This scripture instructs us to reverence God for the kingdom of which we will receive. So, I must conclude that by saying, a person who speaks doxology is blessed...being a hearer and doer of the word of God.

• 2 months later...

3a)We learn that God is eternal, immortal,invisible there is none other like Him,He is the only wise God.We learn that he is due “Honour”- reverence, holding His name higher than any other,in high esteem.”Glory”- recognising his enhanced status,renown,prestige and honour,and to strongly affirm this by saying “Amen”,truely,let it be so as an expression of faith .

b)Learn that praise should be spontaneous and on our lips at all times,Praising God pleases Him and brings us into His presence,leaving anxious thoughts behind,and enabling us to receive His peace,His forgiveness.

c)Yes It acknowledges God’s place in the world and in our lives.

d)It brings us into a warmer closer relationship with God,affirms,strengthen’s and builds up our faith in Christ.

• 1 year later...

Paul gives honor to the unique attributes of God, that makes Him distinctive and the One True God from all others gods. HE IS eternal, immortal, invisable and the Only God. There is no other gods that can stand before Him. I get excited just typing it, because when you develop a personal relationship with Him and walk in that relationship, all of the attributes that make God distinctly unique are revealed to you in your walk with Him. He has a way of showing YOU who HE IS - Hallalujah!!

I can't speak for others, but for me personally, anytime I talk about God in any way, I just can't help but begin praising Him. He is so worthy of praise and the wonderful thing about reading the Word of God, listening to the Word of God and being taught the Word of God is that the praises in the Bible will stick in your memory. And whether you quote the exact doxology or a varient of it, it just spills out with joy, because He is so good! And it encourages, edifies, blesses, lift up and HONORS Him. Which is fundamentally what most christians desire to do.

Praise is good! Worship is good! And I learned the meaning of AMEN which really blessed me. I now know when I say Amen, I am acknowledging the truth of the Word of God!!

This is great!

• 7 years later...

We learn 4 attributes stated by Paul pertaining to God. He is eternal, immortal, invisible, and the only God. Praise is a way of honouring someone for who they are and what they have done. It also gives us the opportunity to bless someone by giving them praise, after all we feel blessed when we receive praise. It also blesses the person giving praise because I feel good when I make someone else feel good?

I enjoy speaking out a doxology when praying, or even singing in worship, and it is very satisfying and uplifting. I should do it far more and this will encourage me to be mindful of doing just that, thank you.

• 1 year later...

Apostle Paul became a pattern for the salvation of all sinners. Because Christ came to save sinners, Paul gives praise to God for having been chosen as a pattern for all who will believe on Christ to everlasting life.

We learn four facts of the Father: God is King Eternal, incorruptible (immortal), invisible, and the only wise God.   We are reminded of Ephesians chapter 1.   God's foreknowledge and predestination--Apostle Paul was in awe of the benevolent magnitude of God's mercy.

In private prayer and in outdoor evangelistic ministry, I have prayed similar prayers of Thanksgiving.   We build ourselves up in the Faith. Power of heartfelt praise is so crucial in one's life.   We focus on the positive, we offer up sacrifices of praise with hearts of gratitude. The Holy Spirit has such important role here on earth to show us Jesus Christ.   Apostle Paul was taught by the Holy Spirit the kerygma as taught in throughout the Epistles.  The time he spent in the desert wasn't wasted. In solitude, God revealed these mysteries.

• 4 months later...

What do we learn about God from this doxology? What do we learn about praise? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

• I like the way Paul has stated some of the attributes of God, reminding us that He is eternal but also invisible.  I think that too often in times of distress, we may "miss" God's presence, and need to be reminded that He is invisible, but always has his eye upon us and the Holy Spirit is within us.  Emphasis on His being the only wise one draws us back to the sound doctrine, the essentials of the scriptures which outline his character across the centuries.  If we need wisdom, we need to go there and appeal from that source to Him.
  • Praise comes from the heart. it is a direct conversation and recognition and appreciation from us to God.
  • A doxology gets the believer away from their issues and their view of the physical world (which is a temporary home) and refocuses the believer on THE one who can help, direct, inspire and train us for eternity.  Through a doxology we not only worship Him, but recognize the mercy that is freely given (and that He doesn't have to do it, but wants to grant us).

From this doxology we learn that He is King, is eternal-without beginning of days or end of life.  He is the Ancient of Days.  He is immortal because He has immortality and cannot not die,  He is invisible for He cannot be seen with the mortal eyes.  He only is infinitely wise and the foundation of all wisdom.  His gracious dealings with us should fill us with admiration of His glorious attributes  and we should be forever employed in giving honor and glory to Him.

Yes I have tried speaking out a doxology in my personal prayer and praise time.

The doxology results in blessing for the speaker.

From the doxology we learn that God is a eternal king for He is without beginning of days or end of life.  He is the Ancient of Days.  He has immortality and cannot die.  Because He cannot be seen with the mortal eye He is invisible. Infinitely wise He is the foundation of all wisdom. Those who are sensible of their obligation to the mercy and grace of God will have their hearts enlarged in His praise.  His gracious dealings should fill us with admiration of His glorious attributes.  

Yes I use doxology in my praise and prayer.

The speaker gives glory and honor to God through doxology,

That He is the King eternal, that He is immortal, invisible and is the only God. That Paul through his words, reveres Him greatly.

That when referring to God praise is most definitely appropriate. And our language can’t fully describe the awesome greatness of God. “Hallowed be thy name.”

Yes I have and it always feels appropriate; but hard to stop once you get started. Because the magnificent magnitude of God is hard to put into words and one word leads to the next, a so on.

It draws the speaker into an attitude of awed reverence and appreciation for God, the very creator of all things known and unknown. He not only created everything but in doing so He conceptualized everything we see, hear, touch and experience. Air, water, light, dark, mountains, snow, ice, humans, animals, insects, the universe and faith, hope, and love. To name a few. To God be all glory, honor and praise!

God is the only authentic king & he is in control no matter what anyone feels, experiences or says. He is eternal i.e .he has no end of days.
He is immortal i.e. he cannot experience corruption.He remains the same, immutable.
He is the only wise God 
* Praise moves God. The Bible says that God inhabits the praises of his people.
*Yes, I  have .I do use a lot of doxology during my praise & worship time &  I do so regularly.
* When you spend quality time praising & worshipping God,using these doxologies , you're eulogizing him. You feel a sense of being lifted out of this realm into another one of tranquility, peace & calm.

Q3. (1 Timothy 2:8) What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse?

ANSWER: Paul is countering that cultural trend and specifically telling men to pray. He IS saying he wants the men to pray. There is a reason that he is singling the men out here. When Paul says he wants men "everywhere" or "in every place" to pray, he is saying he wants the men to be active and involved in each of these places, these house-churches. To be sure, the women as well were to be involved and were involved, VERY involved, but Paul wants to make sure that the MEN were involved, especially in prayer, in each and every place.

What is so serious about worshipping with the opposite of love in your heart?

ANSWER: Our hearts should be so in touch with our Father and so in love with the Lord that it is our delight to filter every thought that comes into our mind through the Lord Jesus. Paul exhorts us not to be in a state of anger or argument when we pray. Certainly, our pleadings and petitions, prayers and thankful praise should not be from a heart that is harboring resentment or unforgiveness, anger or bitterness but from a heart that is holy and clean before the Lord, a heart that is gentle and gracious, a heart that is submissive before the Lord; for God looks on the state of our heart.

Praise God that we can approach the throne on grace boldly, and give over to Him all of our anger, anguish, resentment, and malice, making the way clear for us to life up holy hands and pour out our praises, petitions, and thankful worship to the One "Who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy."

I think a key here is that Paul is focused on who God is. It seems that we often lose sight of God's identity even as we attempt to praise Him. I think Paul adds this doxology to draw attention toward the mighty, eternal God who called him to service and away from the angst that might have begun to well up as he was directing Timothy to deal with false teachers. I think he is reminding Timothy that God is completely in control, He is all-powerful and completely worthy of all praise because of who HE is, even beyond what He has done.

Paul so full of the Holy Spirit described his deep appreciation of the character of God who saved him. We learn of His immeasurable greatness.

praise is giving God all the glory that belongs to Him and revealed to us.

yes

It uplifts his faith to a higher understanding of God’s attributes .

For me, it's not so much about what I learn about God -- a knowledge of Him -- but rather how I approach Him given the listed attributes. The tendency in some of the prayer groups I attend is to reduce God to a friend. He IS a friend, of course, but He is also glorious, and it is His glory to which the doxology points.

In church services, part of the liturgy involves doxologies and descriptors of His attributes. We chant them in unison. But in my personal prayer time, I have not done this. I should. 

I have been praying for a deep, gut-level, heart-encompassing understanding of Him. Maybe "understanding" is the wrong word. Knowledge? Intuition? I want something that goes beyond my mind and rationality, and digs into my soul or heart. Meditating on the attributes of God in this doxology is a start, perhaps.

In the Message version: "Deep honor and bright glory to the King of All Time - One God, Immortal, Invisible, ever and always. Oh, yes!"

The words are sorta silly, but this translation or transliteration is supposed to make us think about God in culturally common words.

• What is "deep honor"?
  • What is "bright glory?"
  • Do I really understand His oneness, the essential unity of the Godhead?
  • To be immortal ... ever and always, unchanging and never ending, this is mind blowing, really.
  • His invisibility, as Pastor Ralph showed, ended with the birth of Jesus. But God had already shown himself in wee bits to the prophets and great men/women of the Old Testament.

The doxology makes me feel smaller and less capable of understanding God. I feel reverence.

Q3.We learn that God is Eternal, Immortal, Invisible, The only God. When we think in detail about the essence of God , we can but praise Him. We are so privileged to have been called and chosen as one of God’s family, we must give Him praise on an ongoing basis. I do sometimes pray the Doxology in Jude v24 -25. Now I will add a few more.A doxology says all the things about God that I want to say but I’m not articulate enough to put the words together. So saying or reading one makes me think about God and how wonderful He is and how blessed I am!