JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Salvation for All Mankind

Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of all mankind in this letter?

Pau,l a Jew, knew the Torah and the One and only God, Jehovah

Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.---- Paul came to understand what God meant, through Jesus, God's Son, the mystery is revealed

Eph 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Eph 3:8- 9 Unto me, Paul, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, Jehovah, who created all things by Jesus Christ, (the Messiah.)

Jesus is diety, He is God's Son.

Eph 3:14-17 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father (God) of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his (God's) glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Mat 12:48-50 But he (Jesus) answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father, God, which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

What does this suggest about the practice of evangelism in the Ephesus church?

Confusion was seen in the church about the truth - Evangelism has come to the World, the Gentiles are grafted into God's covenant; For God so loved the World, He gave His only begotten Son.

Many Gentiles came to believe, Jesus is God's Son, the Messiah, God's promise to the world. -- I see the same confusion in the church today.

Rom 11:1 I Paul, say then, Hath God cast away his people, Israel? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Rom 11:6-11 If by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded. (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.

And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

Rom 11:30-34 For as ye, Gentiles, in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their, Israel's, unbelief:

Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that He, God, might have mercy upon all.

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

Who can know the love of God, to know His love for us, that He would send His Son, and who can know the love of the Son, who came to give life to us, who came to do the will of the Father? This love I want to grow in my life. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of

all mankind in this letter? What does this suggest about the practice of

evangelism in the Ephesus church?

He is reminding Timothy and the church that first He,Paul, was sent to the Gentiles and this should have been very important to Timothy since he was the son of a Greek and therefore by Jewish law a Gentile. Paul was telling them that only God could chose those who were saved and He had chosen the Gentiles also. It suggest that the church was not making the Gentiles of the city a part of the church and not seeking them out or praying for those in need.

He is reminding Timothy and the church that first He,Paul, was sent to the Gentiles and this should have been very important to Timothy since he was the son of a Greek and therefore by Jewish law a Gentile. Paul was telling them that only God could chose those who were saved and He had chosen the Gentiles also. It suggest that the church was not making the Gentiles of the city a part of the church and not seeking them out or praying for those in need.

I have to make a correction to what you said about Timothy being a Gentile. According to Jewish law, if your mother was Jewish, you were Jewish. Timothy's mother was a Jew and he was raised a Jew.

Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of all mankind in this letter?

To overcome the attitude towards the lost (2:1-7), i.e. exclusion of the Gentiles. Prayer should be made for everyone and the gospel message be taught to the Gentiles (as given in Romans 1:16), implying that that false teachers have been promoting a kind of Jewish exclusivity both in Ephesus as well as in Crete (Titus 1:10-16). By including praying for

the Gentiles were being excluded from learning about salvation. this suggested that their evangelism was geared toward the jews only and that they may have believed that salvations was for the selected few only

Apparently the false teachers had made inroads in teaching an exclusively Jewish gospel, which led to a "club" or "inner circle", and left the gentiles out....those whom God intended to receive the gospel from the Jews. He encouraged prayer for ALL,including those in authority, so that it would go well with them so that they could have the freedom to evangelize as God intended and had told them to do in Mt. 28:19.

It suggests that they were naval gazing, as Pastor Wilson called the inward implosion of the church, rather than "casting the net far and wide" to include the "any" in John 3:16, whom God does not want to perish.

Paul emphasizes salvation to get them back on track as to the foremost job of the church today.

Probably the church had strayed from it's original "being on fire" for the Lord, looking out & at just those around them in their own church.

I think that the Ephesus church lost their focus and stopped teaching the Gospel. Maybe it's because of some of my church experiences, but I doubt they were even teaching Jesus to the Jews. My experience has shown that when you get into this mentality that you have to deal only wth the problems at your local church, you don't evangelize at all, a congregation will show to church and hear a sermon and then go home. That's the image I have of the Ephasus church. And that's what Paul was trying to get them to stop doing. Paul wants them to remember why they converted in the first place and take that passion to the people around them. Being Paul, he had a passion for the Gentiles, who were being ignored. But I wouldn't doubt that the Jews were as well.

I also sense a bit of infighting in the church. I think that's why Paul starts with "Pray for everyone". NOthing can be done outside of prayer. Prayer also allows the prayer an "extra dose" of love and humility to deal with the situations on his heart. That's got to be the starting place for anything. I like what others have said about a good political climate being condusive to teaching the Gospel. Though there's a part of me that wonders if the opposite is true. My pastor lives in a middle class neighborhood and he describes several of his neighbors as thinking they didn't need God because things were going so well. I'm going to be interested in seeing what happens now that the economy isn't doing as well. On the other hand, having peace I think makes people more able to listen.

I'm taking the really long route to saying that Paul knew about he situation in Ephesus and he is trying to nudge them back on track. Pray for peace, in part because people in general don't want to sign up to be martyrs (I think that was a very real concern in this time). Stop fighting, because I assume they were and that not only stops them from showing love, but it makes them more likely to blow their witness. And go and evangelize to everyone, because they weren't.

god wants all to be saved. for this thing to happen Paul urged everybody to pray. Prayer is the most powerful thing to do and it pleases God.

Paul emphasizes salvation of all mankind in this letter because Jesus' command was that the gospel was to be preached to the whole world.

This suggests that in the Ephesus church there were some people (the Gentiles) who were excluded from the evangelism. Everything seemed to be in favour of the Jews.

God bless,

Love Greta

:wub:

:rolleyes:Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of

all mankind in this letter?

Jesus taught that the gospel was to be preached to the entire world. :o

This suggests that not every was included in evangalism. The gentiles were excluded. :(

Paul emphasized the salvation of all mankind in his letter because the Jewish teachers were promoting a kind of Jewish exclusivity both in Ephesus as well as in Crete. No where in the word of God are we told that salvation was exclusive to the Jews. 1 John tells us Jesus Christ was the propitiation for everyone's sins. 2 Peter 3:9 tells us that God is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward us, desiring that none should perish, but that all should turn to repentance. John 3:16 tells us " For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Paul emphasises in Chapter One that the church in Ephesus have turned their complete energies inwards and ignored the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth. Paul is exhorting them to change this behaviour and look to the lost of all creeds, colors and political persuasions. This would be my prayer for the relatively new leadership here and the astonishingly new guard in the US. It is easy to have a focus on your dominant culture; we are all

Paul emphasized the salvation of all mankind in his letter because the Jewish teachers were promoting a kind of Jewish exclusivity both in Ephesus as well as in Crete. No where in the word of God are we told that salvation was exclusive to the Jews. 1 John tells us Jesus Christ was the propitiation for everyone's sins. 2 Peter 3:9 tells us that God is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward us, desiring that none should perish, but that all should turn to repentance. John 3:16 tells us " For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

I am really encouraged by your response. It is insightful and to the point. And where i tend to draw on my professional opinion you have drawn on the Word of God to prove your point succinctly and clearly. Thank You.

--Anyone who spends time with God will find out the inner most plans of God. Paul spent 3 years in Arabia with God so that he could find out more about God(Gal.1:17-18). As a result, Paul wrote over half of the New Testament which is God's inspired word. God created every speciman of mankind and He called us good(Gen1:31). We all want to have and to keep what is good and so does God. Jesus died for all of us and this was God's way of getting us back to Him. Paul wrote this so that all men would know that God wants us all to be saved.

--There are millions of people who are being fed the wrong information about the way to get to God. Most of the people being fed this misleading information will never step foot in a bible based church that teaches sound doctrine. It is important to know that if evangelism ceases, we will lose more lives to the inevitable lake of fire that is sure to come.

Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of all mankind in this letter? What does this suggest about the practice of evangelism in the Ephesus church?

Salvation for all mankind is available. God desires that none shall perish. This is not restricted to believers. Non-belivers are included, such as kings and all who are in authority. We know only those that believes in Christ will receive salvation. We know God extends the offer of salvation to all.

There were issues in the Ephesus Church, so Paul elaborates on what will build up the church. We should pray for all mankind.

Q1. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) Why does Paul emphasize salvation of all mankind in this letter? What does this suggest about the practice of evangelism in the Ephesus church?

Paul wants those listening to him to realize that salvation is for Jews and gentiles ...it is for everyone. This to me suggests that those in the Ephesus Church were not focusing on spreading the gospel beyond their own "type". They had taken salvation for themselves alone. Sounds familiar for many "churchs" of today.

I am really encouraged by your response. It is insightful and to the point. And where i tend to draw on my professional opinion you have drawn on the Word of God to prove your point succinctly and clearly. Thank You.

I also have to add my thanks...To back up your answer with the Word of God is powerful and something I should be thinking about...

I began to wonder about God's will and our purpose after seeing so many different and contradicting books written about these two subjects. So I began a week long study, searching the bible for the answer. I found the answer to be quite simple and just as I thought. God's will and desire is that we all have a personal relationship with Him and the proof of this relationship is in how we treat others.

Salvation is not lip service, for if it was the road to salvation would be wide. Evangelism without the efforts of sound teachings is lost much of the time. And that takes getting involved with everyone who is honestly seeking a relationship with God. Is not everyone who has a relationship with God a kin to us?

The problem at Ephesus is still a problem today, the best place to feel all alone is in a crowded place.

Darrell

That Christ Jesus died for all mankind, not just for some but all, that we may have complete knowledge that through supplication, prayers, intercessionals and givng thanks, all mankind that God's salvation is for all that is willing to except Him as the head of their lives and beleive in Him that He is a rewarder for them that diligently seek Him . God desires all mankind to be saved. This suggeat that all mankind that beleives the knowledge of the truth gospel are under God Salvation.

God wants all to be saved. Following false teachers and their teachings, severs the relationship one has with God.

The false teachers were not teaching the Gospel in its unadulturated truth which hampered the Church's growth.