JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Women in Ministry

We get in trouble when we try to think for GOD. GOD can use women just as men to do his will. Remeber there is order. GOD says all things are to be done decently and in order. My wife is a minister as well and when she preaches the Gospel, GOD covers her and when she is done, she comes under my covering so that everything is done decent and in order. In that she has submitted to fully authority in Christ JESUS that no crack in the door is left for satan to enter. A true man of Christ does not have to prove he's dominant; The obedience of his family following the Word of GOD is evidence of that dominance. Therefore all in the family have submission dues and JESUS is the central focus.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear friends, since this is a topic in which various Christ-loving groups disagree, let's be especially careful to state our views with Christian love and gentleness. Denomination bashing and unloving attitudes are cause for suspension of Forum privileges.

Q5. (1 Timothy 2:11-15) How should Paul's instructions about women teaching and leading in the church be applied in the twenty-first century? How do you support your view?

I think that the instruction must be contextualized. Dressing forms part of a peoples' culture and therefore the 21st century churches must consider that and not make doctrine out of it. I will to use my own country as an example. Per our culture, in Ghana, women wearing trousers is seen to be foreign and therefore some people frown over it. It is therefore not an accepted norm in the past for women to wear trousers to church. Wearing trousers to church by women is therefore not acceptable and especially the pentecostal churches although some of the evangelicals allows it.

Thanks

Collins

Dear friends, since this is a topic in which various Christ-loving groups disagree, let's be especially careful to state our views with Christian love and gentleness. Denomination bashing and unloving attitudes are cause for suspension of Forum privileges.

Q5. (1 Timothy 2:11-15) How should Paul's instructions about women teaching and leading in the church be applied in the twenty-first century? How do you support your view?

I believe that Paul's instructions about women teaching in the church is also a culture conflict of the times. Paul did not say that a woman could not teach or speak in church. It says that a woman should do so in a manner that reflects disrespect. Women who teach in the church are welcomed and permitted. But what Paul was saying is that women should not usurp authority over their husbands. In other words they should not openly disagree with things that their husbands say in public meetings. I actually believe that women should be permitted to teach in the church. Women should be allowed to teach other women in the church. Paul actually said that younger women should glean from the experiences of other women.

In today's society many women are starting to take on the role of pastors and leaders in the church and many denominational churches frown on this. It is a pointless argument over the roles of women in the church. The bible is plain and not hard to understand. Nothing in scripture says a woman cannot teach.

• 1 month later...

I believe this comment is a result of the times. Christian women in this time were finding new found freedoms in the church and may have been disruptive in church. I believe this comment is a result of this. Clearly women in the past and in the early church had been disciples and prophets. He also says that in Christ there is no male or female. And Jesus himself never treated women as lesser than men.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in todays world people are more prone to accept women in the ministry, there are a lot of women teachers today. I do believe that God does call some women into the ministry. However this is a touchy subject. God did place the man over the household and over his wife, I think he intended for them to walk side by side and that the man should not lord submission over his wife. He should love her as Christ loves the church.

• 3 months later...

The problem of man is that they explain the rules for women as they like it.

They tend to forget about their own duties.

Do women always have to obey their husbands?

If my grandmother had not left her husband, she and her children would probably have been killed.

So people who say that women always have to obey their husband are ***

Paul writes things that can be explained in many ways.

If we look at Jesus' behaviour, we can see that women and men are to be treated equally.

He talked to women in public, things like that.

I believe that Paul's instructions about women teaching and leading in the church should be taken and applied on the basis of the gifting of the Holy Spirit. Yes, a women could be academically illiterate and deemed unfit to teach; but when you look at Paul himself, he was taken and taught by the Holy Spirit. The Word of God says that God is not a respecter of man, what He does for one He certainly can do for another. God can use whosoever He will to get His word out. Scripture showed that he used a donkey when necessary to get a prophet's attention. The Holy Spirit gives gifts according to his will and He does so on the basis of the mind and will of God.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there is a great cultural difference from then to now. In the twenty-first century women can get a very good education, whereas in Paul's time they couldn't. I do believe God does call women into the ministry. There are some excellent women preachers. I believe that the husband should be the head of the household, but we must rememeber after all Eve came from Adams side, so that's where she should walk. Christ treated women and men equally. If a woman is a preacher or a teacher and her husband is not, I don't think that she is usurping his authority. His authority would be in the home not as a dictator but as a loving husband. When we marry we become one in Christ. If a woman is not married she is not usurping authority, she is following God's callling on her life.

• 1 month later...

We as both men and women need to fully understand and appreciate our roles as God has ordained them to be. I feel that we should follow the leading of the Spirit and not the desires of our own heart. Too many times we let prideful self distort our ability to know which way he is really leading. A life that is trully submitted to God will line up with his word. Why is there so many views on this subject? Men and women are equally important to God.

• 3 months later...

i guess i feel that the bible teaches that the man is the head of our home and our leader and Also Jesus appointed his deciples to go and spread the gospel so i think that it is Gods will that Men be the teachers over men and the church.

I've been wondering what I would read on this! I agree with the idea that God gives us gifts and we need to use them to serve Him, so if a woman happens to be gifted in teaching, she should be teaching. I like how "Rambler" puts it-lining ourselves up with God's will. At the same time, in my home, although I am the breadwinner and my husband stays home with the kids, decisions to be made are discussed together, but I know where his gifts lie, and I generally submit (yuck!) to his plan because he has a good track record! Again, am I listening to Paul, or am I aligning myself with God's will? I have peace, so I'm good with it.

• 1 month later...

MY THOUGHTS: Eve was deceived and Adam rebelled against God disobeyimng His command - this indicates to me that both of them rejected God's will for their lives choosing rather to do things their own way thereby permitting sin to enter mankind as a whole. As a result of this God pronounced judgement on all the parties involved in this event - Adam and Eve who represented mankink as a whole and Satan as well. Even though Jesus has come and redeemed us from sin and it consequences - which allows us to come back into a right relationship with the Father, through Him (Jesus) - as far as I can tell these curses or judgments have not this point been abated and are yet in effect. Man must yet engage in labor to eat and provide living for himself and family (this is not to suggest that God is not the source of our blessing) - women are yet enduring pain at childbirth - so, consequently her husband is yet the one with the greater authority.

I agree and accept the fact that women are enormously gifted and trememdously intellegent - and that we, the Church nor society are consistent in all the areas that speak to women in ministry. Because of the gifts women possess - the intellegence they have and exercise - as well as the contributions they bless the Church with this does not permit or grant them the right to exercise authority over their husbands - whether inside of the Church community or outside of it.

every born-again believer (male and female) is given a ministry [to be a witness for Christ / as an ambassador for Christ reconciling humanity back to God through Christ Jesus] - and a commission [go into all the world and proclaim this Good News (Gospel) to all creatures] - and yet this does not give the woman the right to exercise authority over the man.

The gifts, talents, intellect, and ministry women have been given are extremely instrumental in decision making which gives them every right to participate in any and all decisions and intellegent men ought to welcome their input and participation (especially husbands) and should encouage their involvement without relinguishing their role and responsibility as the God-appointed head.

Genesis 3:16 (NKJV)

16 To the woman He said: "I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children; Your desire shall be for your husband, And he shall rule over you."

1 Corinthians 11:3 (NKJV)

3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

God has established an order and as born-again believers we must comply with such no matter how others may feel about such.

Ephesians 5:22-24 (NKJV)

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.

24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

There are many vital and important roles and responsibilities for women in the home, society and ministry however I don't believe that the calling of "PASTOR" or the office of "BISHOP" are among them.

Other than what I have already stated my view can be supported by the Word of God. One other thing - according to the Word of God 1 Timothy 3:1-5 (NLT)

1 This is a trustworthy saying: “If someone aspires to be an elder, he desires an honorable position.”

2 So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife. He must exercise self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must be able to teach.

3 He must not be a heavy drinker or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love money.

4 He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him.

5 For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church?

B)

• 4 months later...

I must say that this subject falls right in the same lines as many of the Mosaic Laws. While researching on another topic I came across several papers that were done on this subject. It is to my understanding that in several instances women were the chosen one by God and Jesus. Thhe very first person that comes to my mind is Mary, Jesus' mother. The angel Gabriel approached Mary first. He did not go to Joseph until much later. Luke 10:41 "It's Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her." Jesus thus affirmed a woman's RIGHT to be a disciple and not to be concerned solely with domestic affairs. Several women traveled with Jesus and the twelve disciples. Mary Magdelene was known as the "apostle to the aposles - to tell them of the Good News of Jesus' resurection.

In closing lets look at the greatest commandment: "Go ye therefore and teach all nations..." Did this say go ye therefore all men and teach, or did it say "Go ye therefore and teach all nations..." Men and women are both equal in the eyes of God. When we get to Heaven we will not be seperated as men and women. We will be all accepted. So we need to learn here on earth to be treating one anohter equally. There will be no race or gender in heaven..... let's start living that way here on earth. Maybe if we can get along we may even be able to learn from eachother...

• 4 weeks later...

I go to a full gospel church and it has been many years since we have had our own pastor. Finally, we have a pastor, a woman, there have been people who will not step inside the church because of this but she is doing her best and loves the lord so I say "God Bless Her" This was an issue I had struggled with myself. Now, I believe this is where the Lord wanted her with us in Quebec, Canada. I think Paul would have been thrilled to have her sit under him while he was teaching.

I believe that women should be allowed to teach today if they are in love with Christ, know their bible and have a loving heart ( have a heart for lost souls)

I go to a full gospel church and it has been many years since we have had our own pastor. Finally, we have a pastor, a woman, there have been people who will not step inside the church because of this but she is doing her best and loves the lord so I say "God Bless Her" This was an issue I had struggled with myself. Now, I believe this is where the Lord wanted her with us in Quebec, Canada. I think Paul would have been thrilled to have her sit under him while he was teaching.

I believe that women should be allowed to teach today if they are in love with Christ, know their bible and have a loving heart ( have a heart for lost souls)

• 1 month later...

I believe that women should be allowed to teach and lead in the church. If they have the gift then how could we be the ones to say that they should not use that gift? But if they want to be leaders of the church or teachers just because it would boost their ego or break with tradition, then it is for the wrong reason and should not be done. But this is also true for the men of the church.

• 2 months later...

Paul's instructions about women teaching and leading in the church should be applied in the twenty-first century by wives submitting to their husbands.

However we live in a world today where many women are teaching and preaching and involved in other forms of ministry on a whole.Fo them to be there in the first place they must be "gifted" and appointed by God.

• 1 year later...

How should Paul's instructions about women teaching and leading in the church be applied in the twenty-first century? How do you support your view?

1st I want to point out that Paul said "I will ...." This was Paul's own idea/feeling, he never said it was from God.

That being said, I must say from personal experience I prefer men pastors / teachers. My own feeling is that women, either feel out of place or seem nervous throughout the service, or when we watch American lady preachers they seem to usually try to degrade the audience to enhance their own importance.

We did watch a dvd of a lady who led a women Bible study group a while back, and this lady was brilliant. She was truly concerned about her audience and really wanted to bring a message of love across.

My opinion is that women may lead Bible studies, but God installed authority, and in God's authority setup, the man should lead, thus a man should lead church service.

Women are usually better at handling children than men. They must help to lay a strong foundation in children's lives. This is extreamly important, because it is so much easier to teach somebody with a strong back ground. Women can support each other, because, a man who has a well balanced woman to support him, can do so much more in the comunity.

God's plans and order just works much better.

• 2 months later...

:lol: 11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

There are many thoughts on this subject. From time to time, I enjoy listening and reading the books of Joyce Meyer Ministry. The Lord has taught me many good things from her ministry that is in the Word. I prefer in my church a male minister though. I don't think she has a church per say that people come to. She does a lot of travel, etc. I think this has to be up to each individual on what the Lord leads them to do. Times has changed since the beginning of the First Church. Back in those days women were treated differently. The laws followed then where also different. At that time Paul said, "he did not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man. Precious Name Jesus.

:lol: 11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

There are many thoughts on this subject. From time to time, I enjoy listening and reading the books of Joyce Meyer Ministry. The Lord has taught me many good things from her ministry that is in the Word. I prefer in my church a male minister though. I don't think she has a church per say that people come to. She does a lot of travel, etc. I think this has to be up to each individual on what the Lord leads them to do. Times has changed since the beginning of the First Church. Back in those days women were treated differently. The laws followed then where also different. At that time Paul said, "he did not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man. Precious Name Jesus.

• 6 months later...

I believe that a born again, spirit-filled Christian man or woman who are called to exercise a certain task/function/gift within the church should be allowed to exercise that gift. In many western churches throughout the years if it had not been for women being Sunday School teachers; pastors; deaconesses; committee members; service volunteers; faithful tithers, etc. many churches would have closed their doors.

For many centuries women have had the same opportunities for seminary training as well as other forms of education to qualify themselves for leadership positions within the church. Who are men who often times understand only in part to deny those female believers who have a calling to deny them that calling.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Paul, Galatians 3:28

"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for edifying of the body of Christ," Paul, Ephesians 4:11

"And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions. Also on My menservants and My maidservants I will pour out my Spirit in those days." Joel 2:28

When any man or woman is gives their life to the Lord Jesus Christ their life is re-purposed for divine purpose and the calling that God gives that individual in their circumstances. It is God's calling not a human calling with limited human understanding.

All born again believers have a gift and a testimony to be exercised according to God Amighty.

• 4 months later...

5a)Women in leadership positions though scandalous in the Greek and Roman cultures of the time ¬ right time as early Christian churchs trying to avoid alienating people from faith & establish itself as a viable force in society with gospel message of eqality salvation for all &.Galations 3:28. Current day western culture &churches, values more women using their gifting to teach in small gps,teaching in church if specifically gifted&recognised by church, prayer,prophesy &for me with voluntary submission to husband so I dont usurp my husband’s authority in home.This balance keeps the harmony of our marriage relationship.Specific calling for women in ministry I recognise, preferably if they are also involved with children &co-ordinating practical things at home,e.g food,washing,bills. Women are saved in their calling as wives and mothers a well as those who are public leaders in a teaching capacity in the church.
b)The fact word gynē, from which we get our word "gynecology and gyneology stresses the importance of child bearing..Women were allowed to prophecy and pray in the service (1 Corinthians 11:5)Wives, according to the teaching of the apostles, are to be in voluntary submission to their husbands who have authority" (NIV, NRSV. Women who, "exercise authority" (NASB)should avoid, "usurping authority" (KJV) is authentet is derived from autos,"self" + entea, "arms," annotfrom an earlier usage, "one who with his own hand kills either others or himself.From Deborah (Judges 4-5) and Huldah (2 Kings 22:14-2 who became leaders against cultural norm, this demonstrates if the Holy Spirit has gifted, we  as humans should’nt deny use of the gift. I am still learning each day.Thank you RW

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q5. Women in Ministry

Women in the Church can teach, pray and give prophetic messages in more smaller and private  Apostle Paul has no problems with that.   What he is aiming at is that public messages and public teaching and preaching are confined to men.

Men really need to have a male pastor.  It only makes sense.   Even in the ancient Christain churches:.Syrian Orthodox, Mar Thoma churches and Coptic Orthodox churches....this mandate has been followed. However, we do read of  Holy women of God have been allowed to minister to fellow believers for centuries.   Sts Catherine of Siena, Theresa of Avila were tremendous reformers and preachers of the Gospel.   The Holiness movement in the USA, had a number of women who were dedicated to the propagation of the Gospel.  There is a caveat!   These women were subjected to male leaders of their respective churches.  

• 4 months later...

.Back in those times women weren’t respected like they are today. The man was the head of the household. Women were to serve the men. But if they put the women to teach the children then why not let them teach the congregation. if man and women had no education back then, then why did they choose a man to preach, women should have been equals