JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Godliness vs. Morality

Q3. (1 Timothy 4:7-8) How would you define "godliness"?

Godliness is seen in a person who is fleeing from sin. Godliness is defined in a life obedient to God,

following after the things that please Him, a life exercising the things of righteousness, faith, and love.

What produces godliness in a person?

Godliness for me is, having a heart that desires to please God, the more I aim to please God,

the more I am able to discern between good and evil. As I put to practice godliness, putting to practice this new life Christ has given to me, I find I am loving this newness of life I found, in living a godly life.

I cannot leave out the need for the Holy Spirits power to help me be a faithful bride, for I know Satan is out to destroy this new life Christ has given to me, to live and love God by. I have found the more I strive to live a life pleasing to God, the more the pleasures of the flesh is waning.

How is godliness different from embracing a strict morality?

True godliness comes from ones soul desire to love and please God by; Following a set of rules for rules sake,

does not have a lasting love effect on a person. I think it would be harder to follow strict moral rules, if there was no true reason for doing so. :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Timothy 4:7-8) How would you define "godliness"? What produces godliness in a person? How is godliness different from embracing a strict morality?

To me godliness is an obedience to his will, a personal devotion that comes fdrom the heart, giving God the reverence and drespect that he deserves. A true knowledge of God and his grace. We have godliness in us when we live our life according to God, our thoughts and words are according to God. We want to love for him to please him.

Q3. (1 Timothy 4:7-8) How would you define "godliness"? What produces godliness in a person? How is godliness different from embracing a strict morality?

Godliness is from within its loving God and wanting to please him in both heart and action. Its having great respect for God.

Traing ones mind in godly things and following Gods word.

Having a drsire to love and follow God not just following a bunch of rules.

I would define "godliness" as having a desire to want to please God.

What produces godliness in a person is spending quality time in reading the Bible, praying, and fellowshipping with other believers.

Godliness is different from embracing a strict morality in that it is a desire to please God with all our heart,soul, and mind.

One follows a strict morality in the hopes it will get us on God's good side.

Piety and obedience to the commands of God 2Peter 3:11. Godliness in 1Timothy 3:16 signifies the sustance of revealed religion. Obediance produces godliness. Holy conduct and to the commands of God strict moraility is when we stick to ones-selfrightousness, what one beleives to be true rather than God's truth.

• 3 weeks later...

Godliness is God like characteristics. The first place I think of is in Galatians, the fruit of the spirit. There is only one source of godliness, and that is through the Holy Spirit working in us. The tools used are a combination of blessing and suffering.

Godliness is different from a strict morality. Morality is outward and tends to focus on self, and looks down on others who don't measure up. Where godliness focuses on God and has mercy on those who fall short. A strict morallity is man produced where godliness is a product of relating to Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Godliness - to fear the Lord, having a healthy respect for God, seeking to please Him in the way we live, training our heart and mind to live in a way that pleases Him.

Godliness is produced in a person by a sincere desire to please God and by training - living a life that demonstrates a godly life.

Strict morality is determined by the head, godliness is determined by the heart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Godliness to me means to be holy, sanctified, set apart for God. Godliness is produced in us by our love for God, wanting to be pleasing to him. The difference in godliness and strict morality would be in what our goal is. Morality would be just following the rules. Godliness comes from our love for God and the desire to please him.

• 1 month later...

I would define godliness as being led by the Spirit in love. The fruit of the Spirit will produce godliness by us living a Spirit-led life.

Godliness is different from embracing a strict morality because there is no love in that. Paul said that all the great things we do if not done with love are meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...

Godliness if following the Lord and a life that produces fruit. To produce godliness in a life of the believer they need to seek God thru prayer and bible study. They need to listen for that still small voice and have self controll. Sometime it is hard in world we are living in. Godliness will produce fruit in your life and following the law will give the outward appearance of godliness but inward the person is not godly and may not even know God.

• 4 months later...

Godliness is defined as good, clean-living enjoyment of life and of God -- healthy, balanced, God-oriented living. Godliness is produced by healthy doctrine. Godliness differs from embracing a strict morality in that godliness is of value both in this life and the next.

Godliness is healthy, balanced living with God ,and a healthy respect for him, as the center of our lives. The only way to produce this is a daily yielding to the Holy Spirit. Godliness results in visible fruit. A strict morality has outward obedience but is still inwardly corrupt.

• 3 weeks later...

Godliness, I think, is being close to God, knowing His Word and living by His Word and yeilding to the Holy Spirit as best as you can. We all slip at times that's what repentence is for. He is so willing to give us another chance. Godliness is produced in a person by truly loving God above anyone or anything else, yeilding to the Holy Spirit, and alowing the fruits of the Spirit to be fruitful in our life. Abundant love for God and for others should be obvious in Godliness while embracing a strict morality is not.

• 3 months later...

Godlyness is living by the word as best as you can and seeking God for all things.

good and upstanding things living by the word studing as much as possible. godliness is different because you are doing what the bible says and not trying to do just what your mind says which could lead to nonmroal things

Godliness is a fresh, pure,joyful glow a person projects by having a close relationship with the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. What does it produce...God's will here on earth. He uses our eyes, ears, mouth, heart, arms, hands, legs and our feet. It will also produce questions and a hunger from an unbeliever as to just what it is 'he' has that I don't? What ever it is I want it!

Strict morality pales miserably when placed side by side. Strict morality forces one into a straight jacket...Nope, no joy there.

Jesus, Just give me Jesus

• 2 weeks later...

Godliness is trying to act as Jesus would on a consistent basis. It's more challenging than a strict morality, because it requires us to always be thinking about God and how we should act in all areas. It also has the potential to provide more peace and joy than a set of rules.

• 1 month later...

Godliness is a love for God that is so great that it results in us hating everyting that is opposed to or not like sults Him. . . It is an act that results in us acting like God - living like God - and glorifying Him in all that we do. . .

Godliness is produced by the presence of God's Spirit and His control in our lives as well as by our knowing and living in agreement with the Word and will of God. . .

Godliness is different from embracing a strict morality in that godliness changes us from the inside out - it changes our nature thereby changing our character to be in harmony with the character of Christ.

Romans 12:1-2 (NRSV)

1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God--what is good and acceptable and perfect.

B)

• 1 month later...

--Godliness is not just avoiding sin in order to escape punishment.

It is avoiding things which we know don't please God, because we

love him more than we love sin, more than we love our own way.

Godliness fulfills the first great commandment: This is why godliness can only be the fruit of love for God -- not an outward obedience or legalism, but an inward seeking of God in love.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul

and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Mark 12:29-

30, quoting Deuteronomy 6:4).Godliness comes from seeking to please God,

--What are the qualities of a godly life? The spiritual fruit that

comes from a pattern of yielding again and again to the Holy

Spirit within us.

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,

goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such

things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23) godliness different from

embracing a strict morality Physical training may have some value, Paul says, but

spiritual training, training in godliness, is of value both in this life and the next.

• 3 months later...

How would you define "godliness"?

Godliness is having a divine respect of God. An "AWE" of God.

What produces godliness in a person?

The right attitude toward God and the people chosen to serve God.

How is godliness different from embracing a strict morality?

Strict morality is just another way of doing something to prove you way. Where godliness is striving to do things God's way.

• 4 weeks later...

Godliness is being Christ like, loving, kind, giving, comforting, peaceful, patient, The Holy Spirit produces godliness in a person,

Godliness is different than a strict morality in that it is giving and forgiving and not all about self.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Godliness is the careful observance of God's Word.

Training (spiritual) produces godliness in a person. Training and disciplining oneself to read and abide in God's Word,and to spend quality time in prayer and fasting.

Godliness is different from embracing a strict morality in that we are pleasing God and letting Him have His way rather than our way.

• 3 months later...

I think godliness is all about motivation, what motivates you to be godly? I think godliness is about honouring God in all you do and not about morality based on looking good for selfish reasons. Our motivation should be to honour God, then He gives us the grace to love and be like him, then we become holy as He is holy. In other words where does the root of our actions come from, if it is from the Holy Spirit it will bare good fruit, if not it will be from self and the enemy.

Godliness is a fresh, pure,joyful glow a person projects by having a close relationship with the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. What does it produce...God's will here on earth. He uses our eyes, ears, mouth, heart, arms, hands, legs and our feet. It will also produce questions and a hunger from an unbeliever as to just what it is 'he' has that I don't? What ever it is I want it!

Strict morality pales miserably when placed side by side. Strict morality forces one into a straight jacket...Nope, no joy there.

Jesus, Just give me Jesus

Great answer, thanks for sharing.