JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Father, Forgive Them (Luke 23:34)

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

I think I was mosst resposible, we all are responsible, all that shall repent and believe the gospel. That we sinners may be pardoned. The responsibility we have is to call God Father, go to him with reverence and confidence, and ask God for forgiveness of our sins, and pray for our enemies. Jesus was praying for us in the sense that we love and pray for our enemies the way he did. We are to pray for them earnestly and for their forgiveness of sin as well as our own.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

Human beings sinful nature is the reason Jesus chose the cross - God knew we could not do it alone - that our sinful desires keep us from him and so he chose to be born and he chose the cross as a way to pay our debt - a debt we cannot pay ourselves - so my sin and the sin of all humanity is responsible, and I'm thankful for Jesus' love and generosity, his grace and his mercy to come and die for me and for the sins of the whole world - no greater love - and as I enter into Holy Week and journey the way of the cross, I am humbled by his love that even on the cross, his prayer was for us because we do not know what we do - his prayer was to ask the Father to forgive us. The cross may be a stumbling block for some, but the truth is that it is a cross of love, - Jesus' love surrendered for us, so that through faith in him we could have life and have it abundantly - now and forever.

I believe Adam, the first man of creation was most responsible for our sins. He let his love for Eve override his love of GOD. Adam knew better because my Bible says he was not decieved, but was in the transgression willingly.

Ultimatly Satan is responsible because he decieved Eve.

Thank GOD for HE sent HIS only begotten SON to forgive us our sins and to pay a debt that we can never pay.

Only by JESUS'S blood, shed at the cross, can we find redemption.

--me

--The human race joins me in the responsibility.

--He knows that when we become a Christian we can easily see that our sin put Him on the cross--and He knew we would be needing forgiveness.

I would say that i am responsible for the killing of Jesus.

Humanity shares the responsibilty with me.

I think he knew i would need forgiveness, after recieving Christ it was then sin was more foreseen.

Jesus' suffering and death on the cross were all in accordance to the fulfillment of the Scripture and in glorification to God's will. He willingly preferred death rather than disobey His Father. "He humbled Himself by being obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross."(Phil. 2:8) "And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness."(1Pt. 2:24)

Our incomprehension to His teachings led to His death though He always knew that all of these teachings will sink in our wandering minds until later.

Jesus prayed for us so that "we may know God, the only true God, and His Son Jesus Christ whom He has sent."(Jn. 17:3)

Before replying to this question I would like to give thanks to those involved in creating this bible study. I have included my 4 children in studying this with me and have found such a blessing in doing so. They have enjoyed listening to the study, learning new words and really getting to know Christ...I have enjoyed watching their spiritual life blossom...thank you

Luk 23:32 And two others, evil-doers, were taken with him to be put to death.

Luk 23:33 And when they came to the place which is named Golgotha, they put him on the cross, and the evil-doers, one on the right side, and the other on the left.

Luk 23:34 And Jesus said, Father, let them have forgiveness, for they have no knowledge of what they are doing. And they made division of his clothing among them by the decision of chance.

Physically at the time I believe it was the Jewish religious leaders who were responsible. They had such fear of losing their power that the fact they were putting an innocent man to death was irrelevant. But the real reason Christ died...the real reason He came to earth at all was to this very end. To die for our sins that we may have a relationship with God. Therefore we are are guilty of putting Him to death. I take full responsibility for this as it was my sins which nailed Him to the cross. His love for me drove Him to the ultimate sacrifice, His life and without that I would be lost...therefore it is my duty to share the love He has to each and every person I know ...so His death is not in vain...so His love is seen.

Without Christ we do not know what we are doing...we do not realize our lives are useless...without the Lord we wander around aimlessly...Jesus's prayer is not only for those standing there but for every man, woman and child that is to live....

The people that are most responsible for killing Jesus is all of us because, he died for our sins but if we didn't exist he wouldn't of have had to die, but it was the soldiers fault to because they were the ones who put him on the cross and sacrificed him. Our responsibility in this is that we are sinners and Jesus died because of our sins. Jesus was praying for us because he wants us to be in Heaven with him.

personally, i would say that i am responsible for killing Jesus, but actually, all of us are. We are responsible because we are sinners and he died for us. Jesus was praying that god will be able to forgive us.

i think what killed Jesus was the chief priests and the scribes what he was praying for while on the cross dying was for forgiveness for what other people were doing to him....If you do something wrong you should ask for foregiveness if you know other people are doing wrongful things you should ask for foregiveness for them....Alot of people don't believe in our lord...When I pray i say our heavenly father please foregive me of what sins i may have done today....I have a nightly prayer i say every night since my grandson was 2 days old and the nurses saw him having seizures there for i have said this prayer everynight....I don't know if i am doing this posting on the forum right and i hope someone will let me know....everyone needs to repent.....tinab

Ones who were most responsible for killing Jesus are our ancestors Adam and Eve and all of their descendants including us who has sinned

We bear in this the responsibility of our sins, which are the debts to God which must be paid, for which we have to be condemned

Jesus was praying for us in a sense that he was asking God to forgive us our sins, to cancel our debt of sins. Jesus could ask to God that appeal because he bore our sins on the cross. The Jesus

My first post so forgive me if my thoughts are a little scattered.

At that immediate point in time those responsible for the death of Jesus included Pilate, the religious leaders, the Pharisees and the Saducees, the soldiers who physically hung Jesus up on the cross, the crowds for shouting crucify him.

What responsibility to we bear in this?

We all bear the responsibility as sinners - we can only be reconciled with God through a pure and spotless sacrifice - Jesus. However, I wonder if we too would have been part of the crowds shouting

The entirety of humanity was ultimately responsible for the death of Jesus. Because God is Love [1 John 4:8] and desires that none of His creation should perish [Ezekiel 18:23; 2 Peter 3:9b], if only one person in all of history needed redemption, I believe Jesus would have submitted to this work of atonement. Our sin and depravity separated us from the God who loves us, and that is what sent Jesus to the cross.

I bear joint responsibility for this as a member of the human family with humanity's innate nature of rebellion toward the holiness of God. I am a sinner. I would rather choose my own way, seek to please myself, and avoid the pure spotlight of Truth. I deserve nothing from God, yet He loved me before He created me. And He made the Way for reconciliation.

Jesus saw through the centuries of human history and saw this pathetic little sinner - and knew I would forever be separated from Him apart from the gift of pardon. He prayed for me then, as one of the millions, that I would come to realize what I was doing and turn to Him for the forgiveness He was securing. How precious the love of my Savior.

(Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

I think the one most responsible for killing Jesus is Satan - through the evil he brought into this world, we have all fallen short. We all have responsibility for our actions as well as continuing a line of thought that doesn't line up with what God wants for us. Jesus was praying to forgive all of us for our sins, we don't have the ability to change our lives without Him.

You and I are most responsible for killing Jesus, because of our sins that He takes upon His-self for us.

Our corruption, our weakness and pettiness. Without Jesus' bearing our sins upon himself, none of us could be forgiven.

We all are responsible for putting Jesus on the cross for redeeming us

from the penalty of all of our sins, which is death and everlasting

separation from God our heavenly Father; and Jesus was praying for

us because we were His chosen children from the beginning, and were

responsible for His death on the cross for us and for the forgiveness of

all of our sins; so now we have been forgiven and can come into an

awesome and great fellowship with our holy God as well as to be with Him

forever in eternity! Amen!

We were and all are responsible for the death of Jesus. Due to the fall of Adam and Eve, we lost our fellowship with God. When Adam and Eve sinned, we then in our birth were born into sin, even though we had nothing to do with their decision. And in those days, in order to come before God in repentance, there had to be a blood sacrifice. But it had to be without spots or blemish. But God knew that it wasn't right to continue slaughtering animals in the atonement of our sins. And in order for us to come before Him, and have fellowship with Him, we had to be clean without spot or blemish. But how could that be possible if we were born into sin? He loved the world so much that He knew the only way that we would be able to have a relationship with Him is if He Himself gave the greatest sacrifice He had and it was His One and Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. How great a love is that? To give your one and only son to suffer and die for all the sins of mankind? I stand in awe of Him! He didn't have to do it, but He did. The death of Jesus and the Blood that He shed on Calvary gave us an opportunity to be able to confess, repent and turn from all our sins, to have a personal relationship with the Father and have eternal life. When Jesus was praying, He not only prayed for those that had sinned against them at the time, even they did not understand who He really was! But Jesus prayed for us also, because He knew that we were going to have to go through as He did, and that we were going to make mistakes and make bad choices from time to time. We in this lifetime will need the Holy Spirit to give us strength to endure all the traps and tricks that the enemy has to offer. To be able to stand in the midst of affliction, and storms that would come our way. The trials and tribulations that we would have to face from day to day. This walk with Christ is not an easy one, but through Christ, we can do all things. Amen.

While Jesus was physically killed by the Roman soldiers, Pharisees, Saducees and others at the time, the responsibility lies with each and every one of us.

God knew before He even started, that the angels would fall, thus man would fall, and He would need to come to Earth to be crucified.

In accepting Jesus' death as atonement for our sin, we take responsibility for our part in His crucifixion. For every sin since then, the accidental ones, the deliberate ones and the ones we don't know we do Jesus prays

Forgive ....... for he/she doesn't know what he/she does.

it was God's divine plan of forgiveness that put to death his son,Jesus. acts 2:23-24. jesus also said no man could take his life but he would gladly lay it down. Gods will allowed Jesus to be delivered into the hands of men. on this side of the cross we see the bloodied and beaten Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews. yet directly on the other side is the throne room of God. our responsibility is are we going to place all of our trust into who he is, and receive forgiveness or are we just gonna be a face without a name within the crowd, hurling insults in non belief. Jesus knows how weak we are. He understands our vulnerbility, He wants to be our shepherd. His love is at the center of his desire and we are that object of His desire. but we don't always see this in our lives when overwhelmed with tragic circumstances or hear him speak as we slowly grow cold and tired, and feel empty and alone. so we are constantly tempted to stray, yet we hear these words, Father forgive them for they know not what they do. and they are tremendously comforting to me.

Since the fall of man from the sin of the first Adam, man has been a sinful creature beyond redemption and traveling towards hell. He was unable to save himself without the help of a Redeemer. After a period of 400 years from the time of the prophet Malachi, God in His mercy, compassion and love sent us a Redeemer to save us from the path of destruction and eternal damnation. The Scribes, Pharisees, Saducees were most responsible for crucifying Christ, because they never believed Jesus Christ was the Saviour of all human kind. We the fallen adams are responsible for killing Christ as sinners.

Jesus was praying not only for those who believed in Him, but also for all humankind, for their redemption, salvation and eternal life with God.

Indrajith

1. Many were responsible, but I think that the Chief priests and scribes were the most guilty of killing Jesus.

2. You and I are responsible because He died to save us from the debt we owed for our sin.

3. It shows us that we have sins known and unknown that he has forgiven and this shows us how we should live.

Wow. the conversation in here is amazing! There is so much life and truth in every single answer I've read so far.. and really helping me grasp forgiveness even deeper.

I am going to agree with the comments that nobody holds responsibility for the death of Jesus. Yes, we deserve death, eternal damnation, and are guilty of sin.. but to say we are guilty of putting God on the cross, I believe takes away from the amazing measure of SACRIFICE and GRACE.

He could've commanded angels to wipe out every last one of those people who put him on the cross, He could've been delivered from the cross at the snap of his finger.. But he chose not to... Because he had so much love for us and was willing to die for us, so that our sins could be cleaned. So that we could be redeemed.

"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the un-godly. Indeed, rarely will anyone die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die. But God provides his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us." - Romans 5:6-8, NRSV

How AMAZING IS THAT?

He gave his life willingly for us. He knew it was going to happen all along. Start back in the old testament and go to every last prophecy about the coming of Jesus.. and you'll see that he died for ALL men. All have sinned, all fall short.. and He died so that every last one of us have the amazing grace of everlasting life.

He knew exactly how it was going to play out since the moment he was born. From the beginning he told the disciples that He was going to give up his life for them, from the beginning he told his disciples that one of them was a "devil" and going to betray him.. yet he still loved all of them equally.

That's forgiveness, and that's grace... I'm telling ya, as soon as you realize that Jesus willingly died for us while we were still sinners.. and He will never stop loving us - despite our sin.. WOW. you're world is going to change ;)

• 4 months later...

Yes, I address Jehovah as my Father. His Spirit is within me to help me by teaching me, instructing me, guiding me, correcting me....My Father speaks to me also. In order to have fellowhship with God one must acknowledge and understand Who He Is and who we are....all this is made available to us because of the most marvelous love of our Jesus...

Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? As I read and pondered each particular group mentioned in the study it became clear that all were part of what was originally prophesied long before as Jesus destiny...to be the Savior of the World...According to God's timetable and all the conditions were as previously in the Old Testament spoken the choice was made and Jesus followed through with the eternal sacrifice that was required for the sin of all the people of the world. He had to have been able to see past the moment to where we are now just as He prayed for us in John 17. His prayer of faith that all He taught the disciples would <through the Power of the Holy Spirit> be taught and received to build the Church He died for and will one day return for.