JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? He was facing death like the other criminal, but realized that Jesus was the true Messiah and was not a criminal. He knew that it was unfair and spoke the truth.

What did the thief receive that day? He received salvation.

What do you think this meant to Jesus? When all the people around Him that day who wanted to see Him crucified, there was still one person to tell the truth. Jesus answered him in Luke 23:54, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'" He recognized that this man had real faith, just like centurion.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

What is astounding to me is how close he came to not being able to be in Paradise.

God gives to all men the gift of faith so no one can boast about themselves, we must see ourselves as the thief did, for man is just a breath away from hell or Paradise.

Q.What did the thief receive that day?

He was with the Lord in Paradise.

Q.What do you think this meant to Jesus?

All of heaven celebrates the birth of a new creation!

I am not sure if this was, at this time, the all important meaning to Jesus as he was becoming SIN, when He would not feel the presence of His Father as SIN was becoming dominant and no one would be able to recognize who He is, the exact image of God as our Lord took on himself our SIN - and we see the horror of SIN hanging on the Cross.

• 3 months later...

1) because he cant see the end result (ie heaven) he just simply believes that it is offered to him if he asks jesus to forgive him....which all of us can do

2)the thief received the promise of life after death with jesus in heaven

3)Jesus would have been elated by knowing that this criminal would join him in heaven after all he does not want anyone to perish...him and the angels would have been throwing a big party to celebrate

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

Answer:

1. Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

The thief,just humble Himself,and admit Jesus Lordship by speaking His KINGDOM..,unlike the other thief who is still too prideful and even mocked Jesus in the Cross.

Luke 23:41-42- And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

But I think it is the Heavenly Father that Draws this Thief Faith in Jesus(John 6:64-65- But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father)

I am just wondering How come JOHN doesn

• 3 months later...

The faith of the thief is actually outstanding because he has seen the most important truth of all the ages Jesus is the Messiah ! He is the only one who can saves.We can see that as our Lord Jesus emphasis that is important to have faith in different situation so it is important for Him that one have a strong faith and the thief is saved by the grace of the Lord through faith and still today people get save by His wonderful grace and mercy .Glory to Jesus Christ name for ever!

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thiefs faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The good thiefs faith was so astounding because he didnt address Jesus as Lord, his believing him as Lord was inferred in his prayer, remember me when you come into Your Kingdom, His prayer to Jesus was one full of faith; the thief had more faith than any including his disciples who fled from the cross, than all of the other humans who observed the crucifixion. Because the good thiefs statement to the bad thief is one of repentance we are punished justly for our deeds deserved, The condition for forgiveness is to own ones actions, take responsibility and the just punishments for them. This forgiveness is completion of the first word of Jesus from the cross Farther forgive them, therefore, the good thief received forgiveness and granted participation in Gods divine life. Because the good thief knew he suffered justly and that Jesus was suffering unjustly and turned to Jesus for forgivingness, an intimacy immediately developed and Jesus response to the good thief was personally directed to the good thief this day you will be with Me in Paradise.This applies to all of us, how loving and forgiving is our God!

• 4 weeks later...

The thief's faith is astounding because the object of his faith is dying along with him. Somehow, he knew that Jesus' death was part of God's plan for the salvation of mankind and he believed.

The thief received mercy and pardon directly from Jesus Himself.

(lesson learned: "As long as there is life, there is hope." or "It ain't over till it's over.")

I had never thought of what it must have meant to Jesus before this lesson.

I think Jesus may have been relieved that the agony He was experiencing was worth it.

The faith shown by the thief was evidence that He was fulfilling His Father's will.

I think the thief's faith is so astounding because most of his adult life he had been against the things of God. I don't know his personal story, but something or some circumstances made him turn to robbing and maybe even murdering people. He didn't have any "Spiritual" principles active in his life and yet, when he is punished on the cross, hanging there dying with Jesus, he recognizes Jesus innocence and declares himself guilty, admitting to a sinful life. He even defend Jesus. At some point, astoundingly, he embraced truth and faith and asked Jesus to remember him when He gets to His Kingdom. He KNEW he wanted to be there with Him and he KNEW there was such a place.

The thief received forgiveness, acceptance and his salvation that day. It was by his faith he received it, not because of any merit of his own.

To Jesus, this must have been one of those moments of deepest joy and gratitude because He knew at His most "alone" time, that someone got it. He doesn't desire any to perish and to snatch the thief from Satan's and deaths hands just moments before they "could" have claimed this man, must have been very emotional and a cause for deep thanksgiving and encouragement while Jesus suffered there amid the taunts and the injustice of it all. There's nothing worse than doing something good for someone and having them taunt you, revile you, use you and hate you in it. To have someone come along side and say "I believe in you" must have been somewhat a reprieve, and to know salvation was secured for this man a deep joy.

My Father-in- Law had a death bed conversion. After so many, many prayers and asking for his eternal life, to see it happen by the power of the Holy Spirit was just overwhelming and filled with gratitude and relief and just joy!

I never thought of what a support this must have been to Jesus in His dying hours for courage and assurance. Here was a picture right before His eyes of exactly what His mission was accomplishing. This reminds me of Romans 12:2 and gives it a new meaning. Jesus

The thief's faith is oustanding because when every one else including the disciples felt that all was over for Jesus who was expected to deliver Israel but failed and now helpless, the thief saw in Him, a redeemer who will take him to Heaven.

Because of his great faith, he received salvation and a place in heaven.

This development made Jesus Christ happy that at the time of great darkness and desrtion from evry one, some one still believe in him.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief�s faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

3 men dying on a cross. Two for their transgressions and one to save all of mankind. Two thieves, one mocking, the other believing and confessing his sins to his savoir in the mist of death. This was not by pure chance or circumstance. This scene is set by God. Although the thief is a bad man, who has sinned against mankind ( probably sinned his whole life long). At the very end of his life, after all his sins,he 'confesses' !! In the midst of the horrible carnage of death upon a cross, he seeks Jesus. He isn't angry or confrontational like the other criminal who mocked Jesus along with the crowd of people who mocked him at the cross. NO! He is seeking the Lord in all His power and Glory!! He saw through the condemnations of others, through the blood and the suffering, and only saw alongside him, a great man of POWER and GLORY! He was seeking redemption from the one person he knew could provide it ! Through blood, pain, horrific suffering this man was seeking salvation through faith. Death has united these three men. God saved two. His Son was destined to die, and be saved from His birth, He was sent by God for this very purpose. Jesus knew He would be reconciled with the Father. The other man believed (FAITH) that the Father would save him also. This was of great joy to Jesus Christ in the hour of His death, His Father had provided great comfort through the man hanging next to him. This was no accident. One man completely and utterly rebukes the Lord. The other, even through all the suffering admitts (confesses) he is justly accused. We can always confess our sins, it is never to late to say."I have sinned, Father forgive me" !! Jesus in his darkest hour comforted and consoled this dying man, and He assures him that he will come to Paradise on this very day with Him. What's utterly amazing,this dying man see Jesus, in HIS MOST VULNERABLE hour as His KING! This man, an accused, self-admitted criminal, hung, and yet saved in the hour of his death, how awesome is that?? It was not by chance or accident that these three men were placed on a cross to die, at the same time. God wanted one to repent and be saved and in doing this God was also giving His Son great joy amidst the hour of his horrendous sorrow. Jesus was often sorrowed by peoples disbelief and their failure to love God. His great mission here on earth was to bring salvation to those whom did not believe. God the Father assured His son Jesus (in the very hour of His death ) that all of his suffering, and shame had not been in vain. What a great gift the Father gave the son through this mans faith!

The scene greatly contrast three lives. One lived in full devotion to God, one lived with faith and yet whom had sinned and made mistakes,confesses and is saved. And the other ?.... A completely lost soul. This scene is so significant, it completely and utterly exemplify the meaning of deep faith and it's ability to save!

• 1 month later...

His faith was so astounding in this situation because he recognized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah and his ast chance to be saved.

What did the thief receive that day?

The thief received forgiveness of sins and the right to eat of the tree of life in the Paradise of God. That day he was in Paradise with Jesus.

What do you think this meant to Jesus?

To Jesus, He saw one more with great faith in Him as Messiah. Jesus had great satisfaction and joy.

His faith was so astounding in this situation because he recognized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah and his ast chance to be saved.

The thief received forgiveness of sins and the right to eat of the tree of life in the Paradise of God. That day he was in Paradise with Jesus.

To Jesus, He saw one more with great faith in Him as Messiah. Jesus had great satisfaction and joy.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief�s faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

2. a. Here the thief knew he was a sinner and deserved punishment but that Jesus was innocent. He believed Jesus was the Messiah (there was a knowing in him). He knew right from wrong and he had a measure of faith and reached out to Jesus at that moment with saving faith.

b. He received salvation and hope when Jesus told him "This day you will be with me in Paradise"

c. Jesus was amazed by his faith. Jesus rewarded him by giving him the gift of eternity with Him. Isn't it just like the Father to be there for Jesus giving him a companion with great faith to go to Paradise with Him that day. What a place - Paradise = God's Presence!!

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief�s faith so astounding in this situation?

The thief was going through the exact same agonizing death as the thief on the other side of Jesus' cross. The one on the other side was full of bitterness and anger that he was going to die. The repentant thief, however, by the grace of God was able to look past his suffering and see Jesus for who He really was and to not only rebuke his fellow criminal but to obtain salvation and a wonderful promise from Jesus. The first thief may have had a glimmer of hope that Jesus COULD still save Himself and them . . . but the second thief somehow knew that Jesus's death would usher in HIs Kingdom and he wanted to be a part of that if possible. Jesus' statement to the man, accepting him just as he was through his confession of faith is one of the most comforting verses in the Bible.

Salvation and a seat at the table in the feast of God in Heaven. The ultimate prize!

I think having someone believe in Him as he hung there dying was a tremendous comfort to Him. Even as He was about to die Jesus saved one more soul! He was still about HIs Father's business right to His final breath. Having that man express his faith at such an horrific time would have encouraged Jesus no end. Even as Jesus cried out to His Father for forsaking Him, He still had this new "brother" right beside him, reminding Him that He was on track to complete His earthly mission. We only have seven recorded sayings of Christ, but given the time spent there on the cross it's not unthinkable to assume that Jesus and the repentant thief spoke more to each other. I know that if I'd been that repentant thief I couldn't let it go at that. I'd have to thank Jesus for starters! And Jesus being Jesus must have responded. As Jesus' life ebbed away and the crowd had gone, I like to think Jesus' new companion would have had to have been an encouragement and comfort in some way. I agree wholeheartedly with Pastor Ralph that God provided the "strange companion" for Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

His faith is astounding as I don't know if it had ever been there before or manifested itself if it was there in a small amount. I believe the name of Jesus was well known and few would have not heard about the man who preached like Jesus did and performed miracles as He did.

The man received eternal life that day, to be with Jesus forever. What an amazing thing. To be crucified next to the God of Heaven and to receive forgiveness on the cross.

It is what He came for and it meant joy for the Lord to have another choosen one destined for paradise to be with Him that day. "Amazing love, how can it be that Christ my Lord, has died for me."

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 5 months later...

The thief's faith in Christ is so astounding in this situation because Jesus is dying on the cross.  Because of his acknowledgment, faith, and trust in Jesus the thief received eternal life with Jesus in Paradise that day. I think this was a great encouragement and blessing to Jesus at that moment.      

• 5 months later...

The thief and Jesus are suffering the same fate.  somehow the thief realizes Jesus is innocent.  "Don't you fear God?" He knows Jesus is the Messiah and he wants the paradise Jesus has offered.  He has faith.  The thief received God's salvation.  I think this encouraged Jesus.  If only one believes you feel as if your "passing" and footprints have touched another to honestly have learned and believed.