JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me? (Mark 15:34)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the Cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

About faith I recall the godly men of God Noah, Abraham, Moses, Job and numerous others, who had faith in God in times unimaginable. We mortal sinners cry out to an almighty God in our sinfulness of sin. I believe God did not forsake Jesus, but He forsook our sin that He saw upon Jesus. We need to have faith in God like Jesus did. We Christians believe in the three Persons of the Trinity. Christ was 'with God' and 'was God' and was equal with God. John 1:1, Phil. 2:6 'I had glory with Thee before the world began'. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning. John 17:5

About commitment: We Christians who started well must finish well by the grace of God. 'Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ'. 2 Peter 3:18. 'Christ is all' Col. 3:11. 'to me to live is Christ', ' I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me,' Phil.1:21; Gal. 2:20. Jesus fulfilled in every detail what the Father had set before Him.

About love: 'For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life' John 3:16. 'Greater love has no one than this, that He lay down His life for His friends'. John 15:13

If we are true Christians, true worshipers who worship in spirit and truth, we must remember what Christ did for us on the Cross, as an eternal legacy for generations to come, when we will rejoice His return when the fullness of time has come.

Let us praise and worship Christ and our Father always. May the Holy Spirit guide us to overcome our suffering.

Indrajith

What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?

Jesus' cry at his darkest hour on the cross is the ultimate example for us all. Even when forsaken by God, Jesus cries out in faith. I estimate nearly all of us have cried out to God in our darkest hours. Jesus' cry is the ultimate example of faith.

About commitment?

Jesus knew what was to happen. In the Garden of GethsemaneYet, Jesus prayed, 'Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.' In spite of the coming struggle and great loss, Jesus fulfilled his commitment.

About love?

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34b) teaches us about how much the Jesus and God love us. They love us so much that that they severed for a time their love for each other. The crucifixion on the cross separates them apart and for a short time places them on opposite sides -- as enemies.

What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Perhaps that nothing.........not even certain death should challenge our faith. God is our refuge even in the darkest hour, even when we do not feel him or even when contact may not be discernible. In our weakest, human moments, God is there.

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the Cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Jesus knew what was going to happen and he had the perfect faith to go on with this cup God had for him. It teaches me that I need to have that kind of faith in my daily life, knowing that God will take care of me.

Today's commitment are not what they once were we need to have lawyers and contracts ect. why because we do not have the commitment of Jesus. Jesus was so committed to God and us he was willing to be alone for the first time. We need to use that kind of commitment in all parts of our life's

Love what a showing of love Jesus did for us. know what he did. The beating the walk, nailing and the hanging on the cross. He did all that out of his love for God and us. For me when I am tempted and I remember what he went through for me it reminds me of the cost for my salvation,

We must remember to what Jesus did for us even as we were sinners.

This cry of anguish from the lips of our Savior on the cross teaches us that

there is no other love or service greater then the one He did for us to die on

the cross at Calvary; and because of the greatness and vastness of all of our

sins, our Lord Jesus was separated from His heavenly Father at that time as

He is the sacrificial Lamb for the atonement of our sins forever and ever! The

Effect of this should make us want to praise and worship Him for all that He did

for us; to love Him more and more each and every day; and to show His love in

us to all of the people we meet in our daily walk by being servants to them as

He is to us as His chosen people! Amen!

Jesus' fourth word from the cross is so divine that I think we can barely even begin to understand it. The mysterious union of the Trinity is hard enough to consider, much less this unimaginable, though temporary, separation. Jesus the Christ came to earth as the Son of Man. On the cross, He took into Himself the full weight and consequence of man's sin in order to take it to death. And because sin separates man from God, the fellowship between Father and Son was severed. This was the true agony of the cross.

Jesus had to be completely dependant on the Father to redeem Him from death and restore that fellowship once full defeat of sin was accomplished. He was able to endure the incomprehensible cross because of His faith in the Father to raise Him from death and restore Him to His rightful stature in heaven. He remained steadfastly committed to this perfect will of God, knowing it was His hope for glory. He knew that Love (1 John 4:16) endures through all things, would ultimately never forsake Him, and would completely triumph. And His own nature of Love compelled Him to offer Himself as sacrifice for our highest good.

Even as a child of the Father with confidence in the promise that He will never leave or forsake me, sin in my life breaks my fellowship with Him. The victory comes in completely yielding my will to His, placing unwavering faith in Him and His promises, choosing steadfast commitment to His glory, and being willing to sacrifice self for the supreme sake of Love.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus’ Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

This was a moment of disconnection, separation and isolation in the most intimate and complete relationships there has ever been or ever will be - the father, son and holy spirit. This pain of separation between God and Jesus is beyond any of us can fathom. But in this moment the trinity broke that perfect bond to reconcile with a lost world. This was the ultimate test for the trinity and required greater faith and love than any other test. It is as if God is saying to us, 'In order to bring my children back home, I will momentarily severe this perfect union.' This speaks of a love for us that we may never fully comprehend or appreciate.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings,

The questions of faith, commitment, love...then the application. The phrase 'temporary loss of contact' is very powerful to me. We feel this to a point in our flesh and maybe in our spirits...but can we really understand the agony Jesus must have felt when God had to turn His face away? All Jesus words came from the Father. The very breath of His life came from the Father. Abandonment. Isolation. Yes we do feel this at times-then and mostly then do we 'draw' strength from our past experiences-our faith, confidence in our Father to sustain us until we can see, hear, feel again. KNOWING THAT WE WILL.

I remember the thoughts that motivated my prayers when my husband spent 3 weeks in a coma. All the choices, decisions and challenges I had to face were made by thinking 'what would he say about this?' In spiritual matters, that is how we must be with God. All of us face severed connections in teh blink of an eye. What is most critical to me is that our fellowship with God must be most important 'first'...this connection is the only one that has the power to sustain us. His Word living in us...

• 2 months later...

it6 took great faith and courage to accomplish this task that was asked of Jesus at this time. He had to know what the end result was going to be before and it took the greatest faith to go through with it, this shows us that we can make it through the tough trials too.

Jesus was totally committed to this task even unto death for us and it shows us that we can be as committed when we follow His example.

Jesus' love for us was so great and His love for His father was even greater Yes, Jesus loved us enough to take on our sins even though He was sinless and not guilty of any sins ever in His life. This love is the greatest love we will ever see in our lives

Jesus's faith was so great that He obeyed His father even to the point of death. His faith gives us the courage to face our trial throughout the time and come out the winner

His committment was totally and completey freely given. He knew from the beginning He would have to suffer and He endured all the suffering and the agonizing pain for us.

His love for us was so great and so powerful that He took everything He was given for all the suffering. He did this freely and willingly. He knew us even then before we were born, and took on our sins with His great love.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith, about commitment, about love?

I see the word why not as a question, or lack of faith, for the Son of Man knew very well why He was there, why he came to give up His life; I see it as His statement, His cry to the world, so that we would fully understand the horror of SIN, it was OUR SIN that the Son of Man would take on Himself, His cry, the true agony of the cross is seen in that word WHY - it was our sin that separated the Son from his God and his Father, giving life to whosoever believes such awesome LOVE given.

Q. What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Such LOVE given should, must be seen, in the lives of each true believer!

• 3 months later...

1)jesus had faith that he would be reconciled to God just as we too can be reconciled if we only believe that what Jesus did was true and ask for his forgiveness for all the wrong things that we have done.

2)Even though it was tormenting for Jesus to be on the cross he did it. he saw the end result and knew that for mamkind it was the only option to get out of the sin mess we had made for ourselves...we too should be committed, even when it seems tough.

3)Jesus' love was unconditional even on a cross. he knew that he was dying for something that he didnt do as he had not sinned but he still did it because he loved us and continues to do so.

4)we should be self sacrificing thinking of others before ourselves and be willing to die for them as Jesus did for us. not so concerned about "I" but concerned about "us"

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Answer:

1. What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?

It teaches us,that OBEDIENCE in response to God

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Even though Jesus knew about the resurrection (faith), He still suffered through the crucifixion (commitment). In order for God to forgive sin and redeem mankind (love), He had to forsake His Son, Jesus on the cross. (4th word)

The extent to which God went to redeem (me) should have a profound effect on (my) life. How can I repay His love, commitment, and faith? Only by my own faithfulness, commitment, and love toward Him and toward others.

"He paid a debt He did not owe,

I owed a debt I could not pay,

I needed someone to wash my sin away

And now I sing that brand new song: Amazing Grace

For Jesus paid the debt that I could never pay"

Our redemptino from sin and the penalty- death was at a huge cost andpain to God and Jesus. This was as result of God's amazing grace and love for us.Jesus had faith in God and was committed to obey even unto death. we too should have faith in God and be committed to be His faithful and committed chindren.

What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?

That,although Jesus while on the cross felt that, His Father has forsaken Him, He still trust in Him; He still knows His Father is God.

About commitment?

Jesus is comittede to save us no matter the price.

About love?

Jesus and God love us to such an extent they are ready to be separated from each other, even though for a while, for our sake.

What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

We should what price Jesus paid for our sins and be ready to live sinless lives.