JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Fellowship

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

1).First I think that we are hiding sin in our lives. If we have a relationship that is just on the surface then we do not have to let the real self out and we can hide our true thoughts, feelings and wants. We are slo afraid that if we let our real self out (our sin, bad habits ect. ) then no one will like us, so we put on a fake front beleiving that what we are showing is what people want to see and know. If we do not have a real realationship with Christ then we can have a real relationship with our fellow Christians. If we are going to church and trying to have fellowship with christians and we are faking our relationship with Christ then it will be very difficult to have a relatioship with christians. Light and darkness does not mix. we will hide our real self because we do not have the real relationship with christ.

2.)To have that deeper level of relattionship with Christ is to 1.Truly want it. to seek HIs ways for your life, to obey his commandment, and to have a pray life.

3. Pray and a desire to do HIs will. This should bring you to a humbleness to realize that others are just as inportant and we are all God's children.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

We are often reluctant to share our lives at a deep level. With time, we get to know others in our group better and may open up. If one member is brave enough to share at a deeper level, it will encourage others to do the same. I could be that one.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it is being totally honest. I find that sharing my inner most thoughts with others is very diffiult except with Christ who already knows the deepest parts of who I am and what I do and what I believe. Sharing this kind of intimacy with another person is too hard. Even with another believer. Confidences can be broken and people in the flesh are not totally trustworthy regardless of what they may promise or how Christ like they may profess to be. Believing in one totally is not where I can be found today.

• 1 month later...

One reason our fellowship may be shallow is because we are too confused about God's Word to discuss it. Some may be involved in a group mostly to have fun. We need to focus more on the message rather on the activity. Some may go to church to socialize. As loving Christians, we need to pray to spot out a confused person, befriend them, and be a bold example of Christ - without being judgemental in any way. We need to see in what areas churches and individuals need to grow, and prayfully develop activities or conversations to help us to understand Jesus Christ and our true walk with Him. Together.

It is very possible to study the Bible and learn about the Lord together without pouring our hearts out to another person. We definitely shouldn't be two-faced or hypocrites. But we can expose what we want to others and save our confessions and deep feelings to Jesus.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

We don't live totally for Christ.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

Demonstrate our love for Christ openly.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Show our love for Christ, study the Word together, discussion and living in the Truth.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

There can be real reasons for the lack of connection - time constraints and personality clashes. There just isn't enough time to be best friends to EVERYONE. There are some people whose personalities hit us wrong and it seems like a huge waste of time and energy to spend time trying to make high maintenance relationships work, when having a peaceful "surface" relationship would work so much better. We are to live at peace with one another.

It helps to know the difference between Jesus and religion. Jesus is relationship and religion is a code of ethics we live by. Both are needed, but if the code is placed before relationship - it's a bit like placing the cart before the horse - doesn't work so well. We all have people in our lives that don't live up to our "standards" and we feel it's our job to set them straight - code before relationship = clash. It is our responsibility to live our lives to the best of our ability, set an example and encourage others in their walk - not play Junior Holy Spirit, convicting the world of their sin. God is more than capable of doing that without our interference. We are to love as Jesus loved us - strive for righteousness, but extend grace when that is not achieved.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Be honest, gracious and loving. Most of the time we are not honest with ourselves yet alone others. We tend to see ourselves as we want to be, instead of how we really are. We naturally give ourselves grace, but have a harder time extending that same grace to others. Sometimes our need to be a Super Christian, masks our reality and distorts the truth. There are time we need to have a good old fashioned "come to Jesus" talk with our self, confess our sins, repent and get real. This does not mean we all need to look alike in our personalities to fit in, but that we have a common goal of living authentically as God has designed us to be.

• 4 weeks later...

This is 3 questions, and I answered them each. 1. I seek others approval and admiration, but if I compare my life with Jesus, I am humbled, more able to see myself honestly. 2. Remember Jesus loves us all equally, He died for each of us, and if I can remember this, maybe I can see others thru Jesus eyes. Praying togeather helps

3.Quit talking, start listening and wait for the Holy Spirit to speak thru us, not about ourselves, but about Jesus. I don't have a lot of answers or really great advice, but God does

• 1 month later...

according to vs 3, our belief in what the new testament teaches about christ will bring us into fellowship with christ,the writers of the bible and all believers. vs, 4 implies that if we study and learn the precepts put forth in the things written then our "joy may be full" and in this context I take that to mean that our fellowship with God and the whole body of christ will be deep and fulfilling.

vs,6&7 say that if we do not know him,"the word",then we have no fellowship with him and thus with his body either,but if we walk according to that which we have learned,(you must be born again),then his blood has cleansed and does always cleanse us from all sin and in this condition of grace we can enter into a deep fellowship with other believers because we need no longer be ashamed of being mere men who have sin.

we can now be vulnerable and open to confess our sins one to another without shame or reproach. this knowledge sets me free to share anything with other believers just as I would share them unashamedly with God our father. (means being real)

• 1 month later...

To me it is prevented by all the good possibilities out there, if only we are plugged in (raqdio, phone, msn, TV, etc. etc.) This keeps me from getting below the surface. Plugged, I don't have to think too deeply or long. There needs to be extended, unplugged, open unhurried times in which to study scripture, discuss, brainstorm, pray together. Then built in time of quiet, reflection, evaluation. Time to write goals, ideas, plans that we feel God is planting in our lives.

• 1 month later...

Answer:

1 Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

I think we should not be conscious about our Fellowship with fellow Christian,but be more conscious with our relationship with Jesus.Fellowship with other Christians will just come out effortlessly,as your fellowship with Jesus increase..

The fruit of the Spirit as it increase in your life,and bear much fruit will just swallows what ever selfishness we have..The fruit of The Spirit in Gal 5:23,will just bear much fruit as you immerse,yourself with the Word of God and Fellowship with Jesus,including your fellowship with other Christian.

2. How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

Study the WORD together,discuss about Jesus,as the two men in Emmaus..They are discussing Jesus;..and so Jesus appeared in their Midst

• 1 month later...

I believe my fellowship is much closer to the surface. So many times we feel like we cant share our love and prayers with other. I find when you talk with other brothers and sister in the Lord there is a warm spirit. We can read and pray more for others we need to fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ it helps bring us through valleys and storms.

• 1 month later...

A: Our fellowship with other Christians is often just on surface level because too many of us count strictly on forgiveness and tend to forget about love, mercy and grace. We tend to lose the fact that it is not our place to judge and as many Christians have the reputation to do, we judge worse than most. We tend to believe that we are better because we live in the light, but then you have to wonder if we are then really living in the light. Love is greater than all, and when you realize that, the rest of the laws come easy. You no longer care to judge, you just love and help guide.

A: We can have fellowship at a deeper level with Christ by allowing the Holy Spirit to work in us. By truly loving one another as Jesus loves us.

A: I feel to deepen the level of fellowship with my relationships and how I have found a way to feel authentically Christian, I have had to learn to love gently, without criticizing, realizing I am imperfect myself and still a baby in God's eyes. I am still learning, growing and being disciplined. I need to use my experiences that God has given me to help others and again, not judge others for their ways, and remember that we have all been there in that darkness before. As a true Christian, it's not our place to judge others for living in the darkness, it's our place to help them to discover the light.

• 3 months later...

I believe in part it is because we don't see our lives as Christians as a WAY of life. We "go" to church. We "go" to activities. the fellowship is like a small slice of a big life.

This is something I've wondered about a lot. Since it is communion with one another, is it possible for a Christian to have such deep fellowship.

I guess it would take a Christians to work together, prayer and study together. The group would need to be committed to having the type of relationship. The group would need to realize that everything isn't about "feeling" good.

• 2 months later...

Our fellowship is on a surface level because we are shallow in our relationship with God. We think that we are in right relationship and we really aren’t. We fail to understand that in order to be in true relationship with God, we have to let go of worldly things, thoughts, and behaviors. We have to read, study the Word of God, and pray daily in order to have a deeper relationship and fellowship with him. Doing these things, helps authenticate my fellowship not only with other believers but also with my relationships in general.

• 5 months later...

When you have the love of God in your life, that love overflows to other and that make it easier for you to fellowship with your christians brothers and sisters and they with you even if they are surface christians or not evenutally you will win them over where in time they will want to have that inner christian fellowship rather than the surface one, because said " if you lift me up I will draw all men" not to you but to him, so if your christian brothers and sisters see and feel that realness in your life, that make them feel kinda good to be around you, I felt that from a church mother and a missionary at my church, when I first came to the Lord and we all love being around her so we would meet at her house every saturday night for prayer, now the same goes for my natural family, where we all get together once a month for a big family dinner and every week at my house just to fellowship,and half of them don't go to church yet. Sometime we have to put ourselves out there and show others that we want to fellowship and that it's ok if you just want to sit and talk Please pray for me that will stay in my heart that I will continue to show love for others.

• 6 months later...

There can be no true fellowship with those who hold false views concerning Jesus Christ and don't take His teaching seriously -- thus a surface level fellowship. A faith grounded in the Apostle's Creed is a foundation for deeper levels of fellowship in Christ.

Unless you have a common faith and belief in who Jesus Christ is, fellowship is going to be superficial. This applies to my congregation as well as any other.

Belief in who Jesus Christ is impacts our belief in His teaching and a Christian's worldview and relationship to the world and others is framed by that belief.

Unity of serious faith in Jesus Christ equals harmony and deep fellowship within the Body of Christ. Congregations with various views of Jesus and what it means to be a follower of Christ are fellowshipping in unity.

Additionally, spirit-filled Christians only have at best a surface level fellowship with professing Christians.

• 1 month later...

No one wants to open up for fear of having their secret sins exposed. That's the bottom line. Any other reason is just window dressing.

I'm not the person of whom to ask this question. I suppose the small home study group sharing thing would foster deeper fellowship than just attending Church on Sundays.

Trust . . . that anything shared between fellow believers wouldn't be broadcast from the housetops. Time is the element that will bring people together in a deeply personal way with Jesus at the center of the relationahip. You can't just join a fellowship group and expect to have instant deep fellowship. Sometimes it takes years for bonds to form and for trust to develop. Keeping our focus on studying God's Word is essential in forming bonds with other believers.

• 7 months later...

Hello to All My Christian Brothers and Sisters . Great question posted today . Why do christians tend to have a surface relationship with each other rather than a deep meanigful intimate relationship which is what God wants for us . I read several responses which I think all have good reasons . Certainly , the fear of rejection , our perception of what a Christian should be is a big issue . Selfishness is another . There are so many differrent reasons  that it  I think even the reasons are as indiviual as each one of us . Another big issue I think is the time that we spend with one another . In our society today there are so many things that require our time that we do not spend the time to really develop the kind of relationship with God and each other that God wants. The Christian life is a 24/7  LIFESTYLE that we develop through daily commitment to putting God's will as the number one priority in everything we say think and do. 

Hello to All My Christian Brothers and Sisters . Great question posted today . Why do christians tend to have a surface relationship with each other rather than a deep meanigful intimate relationship which is what God wants for us . I read several responses which I think all have good reasons . Certainly , the fear of rejection , our perception of what a Christian should be is a big issue . Selfishness is another . There are so many differrent reasons  that it  I think even the reasons are as indiviual as each one of us . Another big issue I think is the time that we spend with one another . In our society today there are so many things that require our time that we do not spend the time to really develop the kind of relationship with God and each other that God wants. The Christian life is a 24/7  LIFESTYLE that we develop through daily commitment to putting God's will as the number one priority in everything we say think and do. AGAPE LOVE . "" By this shall all men know that you are my disciples . if you have LOVE one for another .""-John 13:35

• 3 weeks later...

1a) When we have disagreements with actions of fellow Christians, we allow the enemy, worldly thoughts to come in and weaken the fellowship we should have with fellow Christians. We forget that God loves us first,He put His love in us, we don’t see his love in each other. Whatever we do or say to another we should do/say it based on love for God. We don’t always see God in others,but see them selfishly in how they can help us.We are joined by the bond of Christ with fellow believing christians &our actions should give God praise for blessings he gives us.
b)We can have a deeper level of fellowship in Christ by reminding each other of God’s promises,his everlasting hope &peace amidst storms of life, how he never leaves us nor forsakes us, but forgives us, restores us, guides us in His ways of light.seeking to help us understand that although Jesus is preexistent, because He cares for us,he restored our relationship with God the Father.Through Jesus sacrifice for us on cross,we have died to our old ways of self, with Him,we’re reborn to a new creation in Christ continually being changed with HS help,,to walk with him more closely each day,speaking, thinking &living more in ways Jesus asks us to,bringing pleasure to our Father in heaven.
c)If we get to know others in a small life group, gaining trust of each other to keep confidences,we feel safe to share openly with others in gp our struggles,needs, fears  seeking together the Lord’s guidance, help, forgiveness&comfort.,- learning how to live out our faith in our daily thoughts 8actions at home&work, growing in daily discipleship together. Through this sharing our level of fellowship deepens&is authentically Christian .

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that we are so surface because we feel we are being judged by everyone we talk to. No matter what the subject is. But if we remain open and honest with people no matter what then the friendships will go to a deeper level. We need to realize that God is our only judge and if they are judging us then its something they have to take to the Lord. We also need to always have an open mind and heart when in fellowship with others and not be their judge. Its hard to be on either end of the conversation because of our past hurts and experiences.  

• 3 weeks later...

The reason that our fellowship with fellow Christians so often is just on the surface level is because we are always in a hurry. We don’t want to get to know each other. We are always off to do something important forgetting that this fellowship is probably the most important thing that we could be doing.

The think that it would take to deepen our level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian is to get to know the other person better. That would mean spending time with them and talking about the important things in life.

• 3 months later...

I feel that sometimes our fellowship with fellow Christians is on a surface level because we do not have time to get to know someone anywhere.  We may worship together but rarely do we know a name.  That I believe may be some of the Church's problem.  We are a surface level Christian.  "See ya next week!"  I think we could have mid week Fellowship in small groups.  This is what we do at our church.  We all have each other's telephone numbers and we have our own Facebook page limited to the members of the church or those that attend.  This way we share all week long.

• 1 year later...

I believe in Western culture we start to compartmentalize our lives.  We have work, perhaps social groups like Lions Club, activities with kids like boys or girl counts... then church.  We aren't see Church as our family but a place to go and activity to do.    Sometimes I feel it is hopeless, but with prayer and discussion perhaps we can get the Church to be alive and have deeper relationships with other Christians.  These relationships may start Christian by Christian, till it spreads.

• 8 months later...

Americans have become so "entertainment-oriented" that we like to keep things light and humorous in our conversations.  It is the rare group who has the desire or conscious thought to go deeper.  It has made me uncomfortable for years to call many of our church gatherings "fellowship".    I think the remedy is for individuals to initiate deeper conversations.