JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Confession

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Acknowledging one's missteps and asking for forgiveness. The 9th verse provides the process to receive forgiveness. Sins are covered by our confession. Cleanliness requires righteous living. Jesus was Holy and we should be Holy. Forgiveness is asking for grace and mercy to wipe our sins away.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Firstly in the Lord's prayer, Jesus taught us to confess, to admit and ask for forgiveness,... but also to recognize and forgive others for their sins to us. The ACTS prayer model is all about first Adoring God and His Son, and the Holy Spirit, they have done great things for us. Next we must CONFESS and tell the truth as we see and feel it. The truth shall set us free. Next we must REPENT and do our honest best to not be repeat offenders, though we know we are all sinners, and have no hope without His grace and love. In any case CONFESSing and REPENTing is followed by the cleansing of His blood. Only true confession and repentance will work, the contrite heart we hear David speak of in the 51st Psalm. Jesus said 'remain in me and obey my commands,/// and your joy shall be oveflowing" [the fruits of the spirit]

If we stop confessing our sins we build up a very bad DEBIT with God and distance ourselves from Him, though he is always reacing for us... is it worth the loss to have some of the world's pleasure? Jesus said in John 1:38 "what do you want?"

• 1 month later...

confession is the outward audioable, verbal release that is formed from within the soul of a person after they have reconized the fact that they have disobeid the will of God and then wanting to repent and turn from that sin.

First it is a reconition of sin, it allows us to know and realease it, to restore our relationship back to God, to cause healing spiritually and physically and allows the character of Chrsit to grwo in us.

We will begin to drift away from the will of God and life as a christian. We can think that we are living a christian life but we will be lying to ourselves. We can become calous to the things of God and be unfruitful.

If we confess our sins we see Gods loving character displayed. His fathfullness and just character gieve us forgiveness and that we are restored back to Him and his cleansing act removes the unrightousness from our soul. Our eternal paymment for the act has been paid by the sacrific of teh one act of Jesus.

The forgiveness is our sine being bloted out and not brought out again but the cleansing is the washing away of that sin as if it never occured.

• 1 month later...

As a Catholic, I find confessing to the priest is very good for me even though it is a hard thing to do. I have to face the truth of what I have done and what I have failed to do. It makes me stop and think. I also ask God's forgiveness on a regular basis, whenever I catch myself doing something against His teaching. That is pretty often. and I think we must honestly try to do better in the future...must keep on trying.If we stop confessing our sins, the bad habits will just seem ordinary after a while. If we confess, we will be forgiven.

I don't think that we need to "confess" our sins God already know what we've done and what we are doing. We need to acknowledge them to ourselves and acknowledg the fact to God that we know we have done wrong. Confessing is for us to admit to ourselves...and ready ourselves for forgivness from God. See Psalm 19:12. Cleansing is Gods way of telling us that He knows whats coming and we are cleansed even from the sins we have not and even know not that we will commitin the future. We still need to confess but we are "cleansed" and are children of God.

• 1 month later...

Confession is acknowledging and admitting to God what we have done wrong and fully deciding to discontinue this activity, speech, or thought. Confessing our sins is important to remind us to change, and remember God always sees it, even before we do. If we stop, we ignore God's calling, begin to live a lifestyle of sin. All in all, we are blocked from God. (Also, we are telling non-believers Christians are hypocrites, and turning them off to God).

The promise of what God will do when we confess our sins, is to forgive us and to purify us. We will be seen as clean and as righteous before God. But we have to be real with God, and honestly turn away.

• 3 months later...

1 Being honest with God and myself, no excuses, no blaming others, just telling God about my sins.

2.So we can be forgiven. We are made humble, aware of just how deep in sin we are and how wonderful our God is that He can love us and forgive us.

3 We are turning our backs on the greatest gift ever given, forgiveness. We just drift away from God, and sin, rather than being something to avoid, becomes more "acceptable",or commonplace to us.

4 He will forgive us our sins and purify us.

5 Forgiveness of sins comes with confession and asking for forgiveness. Purification, cleansing, is a more gradual thing that happens as God helps us change from the inside, not wanting to sin anymore, avoiding areas of life where we are most likely to sin.

• 1 month later...

confession should be to God first in acknowledging our sin sincerely to him then if it involves anyone else we must also involve them in our confession. Also if your sin is of a repetetive nature then confess it to someone in the body for the purpose of accountability so that person or persons can help you defeat the habit. If we stop confessing our sins we begin to accept them and we sink further and further out of fellowship with God and the body of christ. If we confess our sins God is faithfull and justified to forgive us.

I would say that forgiveness is just that whereas cleansing is more likely a process of healing from the damage that sin has done.there is always damage where there is sin. the writer of proverbs said,can a man hold fire to his breast and not be burned? the answer is no and the implication is that he also cannot sin without hurting himself no matter how small or large the sin.

• 1 month later...

Until we confess our sin, we aren't admitting any wrong. Therefore, confessing, admitting is the first step; being honest. We grow hard and callous when we stop confessing. Two fold promise, forgive and cleanse. The sin is erased, removed when forgiven. When we're clean again there is not dirt, guilt, drag on our lives. We are again set up and ready for action, like a car ready for a race.

• 1 month later...

Answer:

Confession is only during acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and personal Saviour:

Romans 10:9- because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord10 and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

After that,our Christian Life is just RENEWING OUR MIND(Romans 12-2- Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve5 what is the will of God

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Confession is opening up your heart and letting all truth be spoken. It is praying to God for forgiveness, and also talking to others about your sins. If we stop confessing our sins, we stop living in truth. The truth will set you free. When you stop confessing, you are lying not only to God and others, but to yourself and cheating yourself from living in the light. God promises to forgive us with His mercy and grace when we confess our sins. For me it seems forgiveness is a gift from God, to show how much He truly loves us. The cleansing comes from the Holy Spirit working inside of us and preventing us from sinning the same again. You can ask for forgiveness and receive it, but its not until you repent of those sins that you become cleansed.

• 5 months later...

I would define confession as “admission of or to acknowledge something”. Confession is important because it frees us from guilt, shame, and heals us both physically and spiritually. God is faithful and just to forgive us if we confess our sins; He will cleanse us for all unrighteousness. Forgiveness releases us from sin; it cancels them and pardons us; while cleansing washes sin away -- making us clean of it; purifying us with the blood of Jesus.

• 11 months later...

I would define "confession" as asking God for forgiveness of specific sins against him and others. Sin breaks fellowship with God and the confession of sin restores fellowship with God. Additionally, confession acknowledges sin as sin out in the open.

If we stop confessing sin we stop having fellowship with God and other believers on a meaningful level. Without confession of sin there is obediance, lawlessness, and relationship with God. Spiritual development stops and one must question one's hope of salvation.

John tells us that God is faithful and just to forgive our sin and will purifiy and cleanse us from all sin. In other words God will restore our relationship with Him upon our confession.

Forgiveness is forgiveness but cleansing removes the stain of sin - guilt, shame, depression, and disconnection. The burden of the commission or omission is removed.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"?

To verbally or consciously agree with God that I have sinned.

Why is confessing our sins so important?

Before we can be forgiven we have to confess that we've sinned. It's important to be specific at times as well. I don't believe it's confessing at all to just say: God please forgive all my sins. The Holy Spirit will convict us of our need for forgiveness and show us where we've gone wrong. Let Him reveal what you need to confess.

What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?

Our sins then pile up and we become burdened under the weight of unconfessed sin. We push God away because He cannot look upon sin. We're still Christians of course but without frequently confessing our wrongdoing or rebellion we keep God at arm's length.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins?

God will forgive us and cleanse us from all unreghteousness.

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Forgiveness is being pardoned from our sins. Cleansing is an inner process initiated by the Holy Spirit that will over time make us purer in God's sight. The cleansing process will make us less likely to sin.

• 7 months later...

1a)Coming clean with God. agreeing with God’s truth about our sinful thoughts and actions.
b)Confessing our sins to mature christians&God is the only way to restore our relationship with God, be clean, be free from sins hold on us,and be healed physically&spiritually.Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed." (James 5:16a)
c)If we stop confessing our sins we become hardened,we refuse to acknowledge our sins,our pretend love for God wanes,does not withstand testing&vitality of the Spirit is lost.Sin unconfessed will continue&pull us away from Jesus.
d) God having laid our sins on Jesus is faithful and just,&If we confess our sins he promises to i/release us from our sins completey,we are pardoned&forgiven&saved. ii/make us clean purify us from our character flaws(our unrighteousness)we are santified.Our sins are removed from us as far as the as the east is from the west.
e)Forgiveness of sins is about restoring our relationship to ourFather so he treats us as if we had never sinned. As I confess my sins&turn away from them,Jesus is cleansing me from my character flaws, incrementally. Christ's character is formed in me (Galatians 4:19).God is removing the unrighteousness from our souls.We will be walking in the light.

a)Coming clean with God. agreeing with God’s truth about our sinful thoughts and actions.
b)Confessing our sins to mature christians&God is the only way to restore our relationship with God, be clean, be free from sins hold on us,and be healed physically&spiritually.Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed." (James 5:16a)
c)If we stop confessing our sins we become hardened,we refuse to acknowledge our sins,our pretend love for God wanes,does not withstand testing&vitality of the Spirit is lost.Sin unconfessed will continue&pull us away from Jesus.
d) God having laid our sins on Jesus is faithful and just,&If we confess our sins he promises to i/release us from our sins completey,we are pardoned& forgiven &saved. ii/make us clean purify us from our character flaws(our unrighteousness)we are santified.Our sins are removed from us as far as the as the east is from the west.
e)Forgiveness of sins is about restoring our relationship to ourFather so he treats us as if wehad never sinned. As I confess my sins&turn away from them,Jesus is cleansing me from my character flaws, incrementally. Christ's character is formed in me (Galatians 4:19).God is removing the unrighteousness from our souls.We will be walking in the light.

• 4 weeks later...

I would define confession as saying something in confidence to someone about my short comings. Confessing our sins is so important because that kind of relieves us from what we know is going against God's law. If we stop confessing our sins it seems like all that pressure from the sins that we have been committing is just building up on us.

The promise that is if we confess our sins is that we will be forgiven.

• 3 months later...

My definition of confession is to admit one's wrong doing.  It is important to confess of your sins because it clears the soul.  You can take a deep breath.  You do not have to look over your shoulder.  You confess to another human, yourself and God.  You feel free.  If we stop confessing our sins the love in our heart for God, for ourselves, and for others just dries up.  If we confess of our sins, the Father will forgive us.  Not only forgive, but forget.  We have a clean slate to start over.  He will make us clean.  Forgiving us of our sins is a confession from us and the Father forgives.  A cleansing is to purify us through the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.  This is the part of us that others see when we do not know we are being observed.  It is the inner us.  This is the part that needs cleansed.

• 8 months later...

I believe confession is admitting to, and taking responsibility for our sins and transgressions. Completely different from saying "I'm sorry" which is saying you did something by mistake. Confession is good because first, it removes that burden of guilt that we feel. Second, by confessing, we admit to our Savior that we need Him and His forgiveness. Third, it is a condition in scripture if we want forgiveness. If we stop confessing, then we will carry around that weight, possibly to the grave, and then miss out on His forgiveness and eternity with Jesus. Once we stop confessing, our sin becomes comfortable and we do it more.

The promises of confession are forgiveness of those sins. The key is confession because verse 9 does not say "if we say we're sorry, He is faithful and just to forgive". Without His forgiveness for our sins, our eternity is sealed in hell. Forgiveness is different from cleansing because when we are cleansed, our sins are washed away and it's like we never sinned in the first place. Forgiveness is just being forgiven, not cleansed.

• 6 months later...

Confession is when we say that we have sinned.

John is letting us know if we don't confess our sin then fellowship will be hindered.  So to keep the relationship good we must confess our sins. 

If we stop confessing sin we won't have good fellowship with one another.

1 John 9 if we confess our sins: he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I think forgiveness is when one who was sinned against says those things are no longer held against the sinner, whereas, I believe that cleansing is when those sins are washed away.

• 8 months later...

I believe daily confession of sins is vital.  I need reminding that I am constantly sinning and in need of constant forgiveness.   I so want to stand clean before my Father, and only He can  make that happen.   I think forgiveness is more related to justice and cleansing is more related to spiritual washing.

• 8 months later...

Confession is the action of allowing God to determine if what you know about yourself with regard to sin is the same thing he sees in your heart. If there is equality in what he sees and what you confess, then for sure He knows that you don't think you can hide anything from Him and the blood of Jesus covers you. this gives a good indication of a repentant heart and that you don't want any part of darkness or lawlessness. 

Forgiveness of sins eventually cause us to be more dependent on the Spirit of God to guide us in our daily lives even as we flee from the temptations of the devil. Knowing that we are striving more to follow the precepts/footsteps of Christ, we don not allow to weight of sin through repentance to keep us back from the works of righteousness. 

forgiveness of sins if our heart is right will eventually lead to us being cleansed of a particular sin and thus eventually most sins but being flesh, we must always depend on the blood of Jesus until he comes again

• 1 month later...
  • My definition of confession is admitting to something I have seen, heard, or done and being completely honest about it.
  • Confession sin is important because like any problem with anything, sin needs to be acknowledged for what it is. Can't fix broke if you don't know whats broke and broke is guaranteed to stay broke if not addressed. Getting back to the program, God's word says He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us IF we confess our sins. 
  • If we stop confessing sin (and they're always letting you know they're there) we end up back where we started--like the parable Jesus used about the spirits returning to find the house cleaned up and the next state is worse. From personal experience, deception sets in, and the deception is so clever we don't even see what is happening until things look like they'll never be better (of course, with God's mercy they can and will be if one is willing to admit to all he/she has done)
  • God promises to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness if we confess our sins.
  • Forgiveness is like when a judge tells you all charges will be dropped if you admit your guilt whereas cleansing could be comparable to having your record (history) destroyed. God does promise to bury our past, if we are willing to accept His mercy and the fact that Jesus already paid the reaper for our wrongdoings----one must confess from the heart though and not just the mouth. God knows the difference and what each produces and He looks at the heart.