JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Confession

Confession is the public acknowledgement of my responsibility for my actions. Confession to God is the primary responsibility, but if I only confess to God, then I don't allow others to see how confession works in my life! Confession needs to be a true plea for help with sin - not just a "devil made me do it" sentence. When we stop confessing our sins, they lose some of their awfulness - we become complacent and start pulling around a shade of cover to shield us from God's pure light. When we confess our sins, God promises pardon (we can't be tried for that same sin again, in that exact instance) and God promises to work in our lives to help us deal with the sin in the future. Forgiveness is the pardon, cleansing is the washing off the dirt from my life!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

How would you define "confession"? I would define it as total surrender to our Lord and heart wrenching sorrow. Why is confessing our sins so important? Because it grieves the Father when we continual in a life that is not pleasing to Him or not bringing Him Glory. What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? We will have no relationship with The Father or The Son, or each other. What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing? We have to ask for forgiveness, Jesus alone can cleanse.

confession is a daily job in prayer and communication with the lord . he forgives us but he ask us to come to him and others ,to share our burdens ,and sins in our life ,i am reminded when i confess of the cross and why he died for me to take my everyday sins . its like for me a garden of weeds if i dont pull them out daily they grow deep and they are so hard to pull out , like sin i like to confront it daily while its new before it grows ,confess it to another christian have them pray for me and be renewed daily ,and to do the same for others

• How would you define "confession"?Confession involved admitting our sinful state to God; asking His forgiveness and seeking his help to purify our soul.
  • Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?When we confess our sin, we recognize our depravity and sinful nature, and our helplessness to stop sinning in our own power. If we stop confessing our sin, we break our relationship with God. Our sin remains unforgiven, and we in our own strength are unable to defeat its power.
  • What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins?If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
  • How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?Forgiveness of sins frees us from the condemnation we deserve, but forgiveness alone does not overcome our depravity. Through cleansing we are made new, and the worldly virtues that once drew us near, no longer appeal to us in the same manner as before. Day-by-day we are conformed into the image of Jesus Christ.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing? Confession is agree to God what he have already declare as sin. If we confess our sin to God we are showing how sincere we are about cleaning up our sin, and living our life as God purpose for us. God will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Forgiveness is that God will not hold our past against us, He have forgotten that sin and cleansing is we are made pure, clean for all unclean things, those sin are no longer apart of our present we are purify and it is Great.

When we confess our sins it means that we see where we don't line up with God's Word and we openly admit those sins to God and to others, and we ask God's forgiveness for what we have done that is displeasing to God. FOrtunately, if we confess our sins, God will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. When we confess our sins, we can often repeat the same sins, but as God's Word begins to wash us we become cleansed, and become more and more like Jesus. Our pastor tells us that we should be sinning less the more we are in Christ, and also asking for forgiveness quicker for we will more quickly recognize when we are out of line with God's will. I love this verse for in the two years I spent talking with my pastor before I got saved (had a hard time dealing with God at that time) he often quoted this verse to me - for I thought God could never forgive me or want me in His kingdom.

Heather

View PostPastor Ralph, on 30 September 2009 - 01:21 PM, said:

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Confession is when one acknowledges that he has sinned and regrets his actions. Knowing that God already sent His Son Jesus to die for the sins of all mankind we can confess our sins and know that He will forgive them.

If we stop confessing our sins we separate ourselves from God and will not experience growth in our walk with the Lord and ultimately we dishonor Him and start living a lie.

Forgiveness of our sins is instant while cleansing is an ongoing process whereby through the grace of God we grow to become more like Him.

When we confess our sins we are acknowledging before God and sometimes others the true condition of our hearts.

Confessing our sins is important because we are told in the Bible that we are to keep short accounts before God.

If we stop confessing our sins, our relationship with God can be affected and we can become proud and think we are in a better state than we are.

When we confess our sins we allow the Holy Spirit to draw us closer to Jesus and our fellowship with Him becomes fresh again.

The Bible teaches us that our God is faithful in forgiving our sins if we confess them and that He will bring about a restoration in our relationship with Him.

Cleansing occurs when we are forgiven and happens as we spend time with Him, reading the Bible

and by yielding to the Holy Spirit so He can do what He wants to do.

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is

> confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop

> confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do

> confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from

> cleansing?

CONFESSION IS DEFINED AS "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF GUILT/SIN". CONFESSION THEN WOULD DETERMINE ONE TO ACKNOWLEDGE SIN IN ONE'S LIFE AND TO BRING THAT SIN/WEAKNESS BEFORE THE LORD. SHOULD ONE STOP TO CONFESS SIN - YOUR HEART BECOMES HARD AND YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE BECOMES STAGNANT. MATTHEW 5:8 TEACHES THAT "BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART FOR THEY WILL SEE GOD". I UNDERSTAND THAT FORGIVENESS COMES FROM GOD BUT CLEANSING (BY THE CHOICES WE MAKE) IS A CONCERN OF THE HEART - WE CAN PLACE OURSELVES IN A FAVOURABLE POSITION WITH GOD BY PUTTING/CLEANSING OUR HEARTS.

>

Confession is to tell God exactly how you sin and ask for forgiveness and turn from our sin. We are agreeing with God's truth about our sins. We are purified . If we stop asking for forgiveness we walk in darkness we are two faced we down play thinking our sin is different and it's ok. We are like Adam and Eve in the Garden when they hid because the were naked. They knew they were naked after they sined. To become part of the Light again the Bible says in James 5:16: "If we confess our sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed." Confession is vital in healing of our souls so that we stop hiding from ourselves.Faithfulness and justice is the promises from God if we confess our sins we become purified and declared clean. Cleansed is when God's character is in me. Only Jesus paid for our sins which allows us to become attoned.

Confessing means to agree with God about our sins. It means not to be a hypocrite (two-faced mask--as in drama). It is important to continue our fellowship with the Father. God wants us to be like Jesus so the HS sanctifies us.

If we stop confessing our sins? As I look at your writings here, it interfers with our salvation. I don't believe that as I believe that salvation is sure and permanent.. According to you, forgiveness of sins brings initial salvation and later salvation??????? Please correct me if I read you wrong.

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is

confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop

confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do

confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from

cleansing?

Confession is admitting we are wrong. Usually the Holy Spirit makes it pretty clear when we have sinned.

Confessing is really important as it humbles us, allows us to realise God's way, shows us we can't live life without God, as it gets messy, and our will is strong.

If we stop confessing, we are lying to ourselves and God, and trying to go it alone - and we all know that never works.

The promise God gives us if we do confess our sins is that He will forgive us, and help us to change and try again.

Forgiveness of sins if just the first stage, then we need to walk in God's light continuouly to be cleansed. It's an on-going process until we leave this earth for heaven.

I must share that this verse has been a life saver to me many times. We can hold God to His own word. I have gone to Him, wounded from getting myself into sticky situations that needed His covering and said, Father Your word says that if I confess my sin that You are faithful and just to forgive me of my sin. I then confess my sin and confess to Him that I am taking Him at His word and that now I am cleaned from all unrighteousness because He is faithful and just and that I will move on from there and keep pushing towards the finish line because I want to please Him and finish well. We really can trust in Him to keep His word.

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Renewing our covenant that we made to live as He desires us to live, holy and righteous as He is Holy; blameless before our Father and King.

Why is confessing our sins so important? So that we are living in righteousness; that His death was not in vain placing our trust in the merits of His sacrifice and not in ourselves. Proverbs 28:13 ¶ He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? I think we slowly begin to build a wall that keeps us separated from Him and then we become sick with complacency.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? He is faithful and just to remove all the stains of guilt from the soul. Faithful; to His promises of forgiveness, just; to Himself and all the great interests of His kingdom, cleanse us; from the guilt and the defilement of sin, so that he is able to present us spotless before the throne of his glory with exceeding joy.

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing? It is one thing to kill and sacrifice a lamb, but it is quite another to kill and sacrifice the Lamb of God. His son died so that we might be free. The sins referred to are those committed after conversion. His forgiveness is what makes us white as snow. Forgiveness is Him omitting our sin bearing the weight of our sin. Cleansing is His blood purging and purifying us. Cleansing is an ongoing effect of movement; God being active in our lives. I see the word forgiveness and it appears to me to be a word that is something already done, perhaps at the point of conversion.

Confession means to agree with God's truth about our sins- to concede that something is factual or true .

Confession is vital in healing our souls , so that we stop hiding from ourselves .

When we refuse to acknowledge our sins ,love in our hearts for God , loses the vitality of the spirit . The promises given tous if we do confess our sins :

(a) He will forgive our sins

(b)He will purify us from all unrightousness .

confession touches the guilt of sin , that is the relationship with Father and cleansing touches the contamination of the sin , that is our character

How would you define "confession"? To me it means first and foremost confessing my sin openly and honestly before God in prayer and in making that confession, coming with an honest and serious resolve to commit that sin no more. It can also mean, on occasions, confessing the sin to others, in particular where the sin is clearly a continuing problem or one which is going to need support from other Christians to overcome.

Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? If we confess our sins, then they are forgiven and we walk in the light. If we stop then we start the walk into darkness.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? God will forgive our sins and will cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing? Forgiveness of sins is exactly what it says; our sins are forgiven and we are treated as if we had never sinned, in other words we are pardoned. Cleansing is the process which God undertakes in us as a result of the act of confession which deals with our propensity to sin (our unrighteousness) and removes it.

Confessing means to agree with God about our sins. It means not to be a hypocrite (two-faced mask--as in drama). It is important to continue our fellowship with the Father. God wants us to be like Jesus so the HS sanctifies us.

If we stop confessing our sins? As I look at your writings here, it interfers with our salvation. I don't believe that as I believe that salvation is sure and permanent.. According to you, forgiveness of sins brings initial salvation and later salvation??????? Please correct me if I read you wrong.

Hi Sandra You raise an interesting question here. I am not sure if I am qualified to answer it but I think that it is a great thing if Christians can share their ideas and thoughts as much as possible so that we can build each other up. I think that salvation is sure and permanent as long as we continue to walk in the light. The minute that we start to walk in the darkness, then the surety and permanence of that salvation begins to erode. Were I to have become perfect after I had originally become a Christian, and sinned no more, then I would be continuing to walk in the light and my salvation would be sure and permanent. However, that is far from the case. I stray into sin on a sometimes miserably regular basis, and for me, that is why I need to confess and renew my relationship with God on a regular basis so that I can have my sins forgiven and continue to walk in the light. In that way, my salvation remains sure. As I say, I am not sure that I am qualified to comment on which is the correct way of looking at this issue, but I share my view with you in Christ.

Confession is proclaiming and acknowledging to God those things in my life that are not in agreement with God's standards and values. I am agreeing with God that the thing I am confessing is sin and not up to His standards. In turn, I then ask God for forgiveness of that sin.

Confession of sin is important because unconfessed sin alienates us from God and other believers, thus making our faith ineffective and empty. Additionally, it prevents God's blessings in our life.

If we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive and cleanse us from our sins. God will make us righteous in His sight. Confession helps in the development of our character.

God's forgiveness is the act of releasing us from the consequences of sin and restoring a right relationship with Him. Cleansing is removing the stain and effects of sin in our spirit, soul, and body. Restoring purity.

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Confession is more than just words. To me it means admitting to something which you have done and agreeing that it was not the right thing to do. This is also to be done in an attitude of humbleness and with sincerity. If our sins are not confessed to begin with we are not sorry for them ...most likely will carry on in the same manner. When sins are confessed we are acknowledging that what we did was wrong to ourselves, others and most importantly to God. I have found that in my life when I have made the mistake of non-confession it is easier to move on to another sin and they build up and up. Then my life seems to be a game of hiding this sin and that sin. Thank God that the Holy Spirit speaks to me and shows me my errors and I listen. When we confess God has promised to forgive our sins as if they never were and to cleanse us from the consequences of those sins. Forgiving of sins is the cancelling out of the sins. Cleansing is the washing away the taint from those sins. Forgiveness is immediately and one time...cleansing may take time and may come in many forms but in the end our character is washed clean from whatever we did.

Hi Sandra You raise an interesting question here. I am not sure if I am qualified to answer it but I think that it is a great thing if Christians can share their ideas and thoughts as much as possible so that we can build each other up. I think that salvation is sure and permanent as long as we continue to walk in the light. The minute that we start to walk in the darkness, then the surety and permanence of that salvation begins to erode. Were I to have become perfect after I had originally become a Christian, and sinned no more, then I would be continuing to walk in the light and my salvation would be sure and permanent. However, that is far from the case. I stray into sin on a sometimes miserably regular basis, and for me, that is why I need to confess and renew my relationship with God on a regular basis so that I can have my sins forgiven and continue to walk in the light. In that way, my salvation remains sure. As I say, I am not sure that I am qualified to comment on which is the correct way of looking at this issue, but I share my view with you in Christ.

Paul, I have researched this and find that there are two sides of opinion on this scripture...those who believe you can lose your salvation and those who don't. Thanks for your reply! I do confess my sins and trust 1 John 1:9, but I do not believe that it indicates you can lose your salvation.

Blessings!

Sandra

Confession is admitting in words what your are doing that is sinful. Sometimes brutal honesty, the specific confession, is the only way of being honest. It is important to confess sin so that we may receive forgiveness and the Spirit so that we may be directed away from sin and to righteousness. Cleansing is what happens after confessing sin, after the sinner is forgiven and receives Spirit. Thank you Jesus for forgiveness and cleansing.

Confession is to acknowledge and admit your wrongs and failures. Confession has a way of humbling a person, revealing their sincerity in asking forgiveness, and their desire to lay those things down that have gripped their lives and tripped them up. Somehow that weight that has laid on their soul is lifted and there is a freedom and joy again in knowing their sins have been forgiven.

When we fail to confess our sins, we will become so hardhearted, cynical, bitter, and resentful to those who love you and are reaching out to you in love. A wall goes up between other believers and yourself, and you eventually stop associating with them.

When we confess our sins, God's Word says He is faithful to forgive us, our sins are no more to be remembered, as they are covered under the blood of Jesus Christ. Our names are written in the Lambs Book of Life, and we are restored to complete fellowship with Christ.

"Forgiveness of sins" is being excused, or forgetting of mistakes and failures, and is not thrown back up in your face. "Cleansing" is an inner work that comes from the Holy Spirit who does this work in us. It is not our strength that will do the work, but the strength of the Holy Spirit in us.

To make a good confession we should first of all earnestly beseech God to give us light to know all our sins and strength to detest them. When we repent of our sins He graciously forgives us of all sins and puts our sins under His blood never to be remembered against us again. However, we When we repent of our sins He graciously forgives us of all sins and puts our sins under His blood never to be remembered against us again. However, we do believe that if a person who is born again commits a sin he or she has an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, and can ask for forgiveness.

Do believe that if a person who is born again commits a sin he or she has an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, and can ask for forgiveness.

Pax

When Adam sinned, he cast the whole world under the condemnation of his sin. Every human being born from a man and women was bound to commit sin. Sin brings us to the inevitable point of death. There was no way out for any human until Jesus died for the sins of the world on the cross. Once He died, humans can now bow before God and admit that he or she is a sinner and needs to be saved. At that point, the person no longer needs to sin; Jesus died so that people don

'Confession' is agreeing with God's truth about our sins to concede that something is factual or true, grant healing on our souls as we do when we are physically sick, we seek out a doctor or a specialist. Confessing our sins is so important and vital as it heals our souls so that we can stop hiding from ourselves.

When we stop confessing our sins, our love for God dries up and we lose the vitality of the Spirit. Just like when we are wounded or sick and did not seek medical help or attend to the wound. It will start to get worsen and rot and eventually the sore will be to great to handle and trouble will be even greater.

Based on God's faithfulness and justice, He promised us that our sins will be forgiven and He will purify us from all unrighteousness.

Forgiveness touches on the guilt of sin and salvation whereas cleansing touches on contamination of sin and sanctification.