JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Assurance

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) What assurance does John give us if we do sin? How does this comfort us? How does it make us want to avoid sin?

John gives us the assurance that Jesus Christ died for our sins, and comes to stand against God as our Judge. We will continue to sin, but we are forgiven, thanks to Jesus and for God's ultimate sacrifice. That is very comforting to me, because I know as a human that sin will continue to find me. But, I as a Christian who is saved, I want to avoid sin. This was something I couldn't do on my own, I had to let the Holy Spirit work inside me and get to know Jesus intimately so as to not want to disappoint Him any longer. When you build a true relationship with Christ, He delivers light to your heart and removes the darkness, making you want to sin less.

• 5 months later...

If we do sin, John tells us that there is hope through our Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Advocate to the FATHER, and mediates to HIM on our behalf. Therefore, we can take comfort that Jesus atoned for our sin and appears on our behalf to plead our case with the FATHER. He is our Defense Attorney and argues our case, He has already paid for our sins and He makes it known that there is no additional payment of punishment due. Knowing the reality of what Jesus did -- gave His precious life to make payment for the sins of man (something that humanity cannot do for themselves), should make us want to avoid sin.

• 11 months later...

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) What assurance does John give us if we do sin? How does this comfort us? How does it make us want to avoid sin?

In the event of committing sin, Jesus speaks to the Father in our defense. This is a comforting thought because it reflects God's love and concern for those who have given and committed their lives to Him. We cannot save ourselves or forgive ourselves of sin so the fact that Jesus intercedes for those who acknowledge and follow Him is reassuring, safe, and further increases love for God.

My love for Jesus should impact my desire not to intentionally sin so that I honor Him and not cause Him to constantly be interceding on my behalf.

My love for God should diminish my desire to intentionally sin.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) What assurance does John give us if we do sin?

If we do sin, we have an advocate in Jesus Christ who lives to intercede on our behalf. We must confess our sins to God and He will forgive us.

How does this comfort us?

It certainly is comforting to know that we can be forgiven. This doesn't give us a license to sin, knowing that we can confess it later, but it is good to know we have that assurance of forgiveness when we do stumble.

How does it make us want to avoid sin?

Knowing that Jesus died such a horrible death to save us from eternal damnation should be motivation to live upright lives.

• 7 months later...

4a)If we do sin there is still hope for us because Jesus is alive."Christ Jesus ... is at the right hand of God and is also intercedingfor us." (Romans 8:34) "Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." (Hebrews 7:25).He is the only Righteous one who can atone for our sins.
b)This love of God,providing Jesus as not only our advocate in God’s court of judgement but also our Atoning sacrifice for sins,arguing our case out of infinite love. In spite of God's anger against human rebellion and sin, he offers His grace if we sin.The Righteous One argues for justice. Since he has already paid for our sins, no additional punishment is due us for our sins.
c)God loves us so much he sent Jesus as sacrifice for us,&it hurts him when still sin.we don’t want to hurt/break fellowship with those whom love us,this makes us want to avoid sin,but seek to be living vessels to be used by Him filled with his power for His glory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

John gives us the assurance that if we do sin we have one who will speak to the Father in our defense.  That person is Jesus Christ.  This is comforting in that before He knew us He loved us.   He was the first fruit sacrifice for us so that no longer was a sacrifice necessary.  Anyone who loves us this much and wants to live with us in eternity we want to please.  We should try to live a Godly life free from sin.

• 1 year later...

I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf—Jesus Christ, the righteous one. And Christ himself is the means by which our sins are forgiven, and not our sins only, but also the sins of everyone.

---- John tells us that Jesus will be our advocate if we sin.  We can be comforted because our sins and the sins of others will be forgiven.  The love we have for God and the great grace extended to us makes us want to not sin.  Sin will separate us from God.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  And He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

God gives us and advocate.  Because of this we can be comfortable.  Because God loves us we want to avoid sin.

• 8 months later...

When we sin, Jesus speaks to the Father on our behalf.   When I am conscious of my sin and of the fact that Jesus carried the weight of it and the guilt of it, I do not want to sin.  Also there is this: I have a friend who says, "I just want to please my Father."  

• 9 months later...
  • We have the assurance that Jesus will act as an advocate on our behalf and intercede for us.
  • This is comforting because Jesus is the one who paid the price for my sin as well as for the whole world to those who will accept that and confess their sins.
  • How does it make me want to avoid sin? When I think of what He went through that day on Calvary plus everything leading up to it and then to think He did it for me, who more than likely will never go through anything close to that? To think it was actions by me one day a couple thousand years later had to go through that. That, my friend is a sobering effect.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) 
What assurance does John give us if we do sin? 

We know God is absolute perfection and that He demands this from us as His children. On our own we can never even try to achieve this perfection since we stumble continuously. Our faith in Christ brings many changes - a new relationship with God, a new spirit, and a new outlook on life - but it doesn’t eradicate all traces of our old life. We still have the same body and the same mind, which can often lead to some of the same difficulties. Our sin, our disobedience breaks our fellowship with our Heavenly Father. We may disgrace Him but we still remain His child by re-birth. The good news is that if we sin we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous, who immediately comes to our aid and restores our relationship with the Father. This is a great comfort to us knowing we have the best defence attorney pleading our case – remembering that He has already paid the price for our sins. Once we truly realise the ultimate price paid, the suffering and the humiliation that Jesus went through for our sins, we will want to avoid sin. We are forever indebted to Jesus – His dying for us, He freed us from the guilt of our sins and restored us to God by removing every barrier to fellowship. God can show mercy to us because Christ has satisfied the claims of justice.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2)

Q. What assurance does John give us if we do sin?

A. We have an advocate who pleads our case with the Father

Q. How does this comfort us?

A. we can regain our place before God as the Lord Jesus pleads our case with the Father.

Q. How does it make us want to avoid sin?

A. Knowing that we can not continue to sin that grace may abound as Paul encourages us not to continue to sin because there is grace

• 3 years later...

We have Jesus interceding at the heavenly court for us, and doing this for us out of love. He is the atoning sacrifice, and amazingly also the interceding advocate for us, who believe in Him, at the Father, sparing us the wrath of God, as we will continue to fall short and sin as we are not one holy and perfect without any sin. Thank you Jesus. Knowing the one being called Holy and never sinned took it all at the cross, and then keeps pleading my case at the heavenly court makes me feel ashamed, and at the same time joyful with  love and appreciation for all that He has done and still is doing for me , and everybody else that has salvation through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. That makes me want to try harder at avoiding doing the wrong things.

• 3 months later...

It is not IF I sin, but WHEN I sin, Pastor Ralph!  

Jesus AND the Holy Spirit are parakletoi called into action as I sin. Constantly, Jesus' blood propriates God's anger toward me -- not just my sin, but me! -- as he stands in the celestial courtroom, offering Himself as evidence for my acquittal. I will never be found guilty as long as Jesus is my parakletos.

I know this should be comforting, and that I should not take this for granted, but I don't have a deep enough sense of my own sin to really understand the sacrifice of Jesus. Something inside of me says we all sin, so my condition isn't unusual or remarkable in any way. But I know that Jesus' death gave me a blanket pardon for all I have done and will do, and if I had a greater sense of sin, I'd appreciate it more.

I do want to avoid sin, in part, for selfish reasons -- I know how difficult it is to extract myself from sinful thoughts and deeds, so I don't want to be stuck in that mire, again. Since Christ's sacrifice has already been made for my sins and all people's sins in the future, avoiding sin won't change this fact. I want to avoid sin because I hope and pray to hear His voice clearly and have the sort of fellowship with Him that I would have with someone I trusted and loved on earth ... but bigger and better!

As an aside, I also think it's amazing that our parakletos is also our hilasmos. Simultaneously, He both argues for us and is the evidence needed for our pardon.

• 6 months later...

What assurance does John give us if we do sin?

When we sin, we have someone who speaks to God the Father in our defense -- Jesus Christ.  He is our defense attorney and he intervenes for us, so we are not asking for forgiveness alone.

Since we know we are sinners, and that no matter how hard we try to be “perfect,” we are NOT, we can be comforted knowing that Christ “has our back,” so to speak.  I sleep better at night after expressing my daily sins to God and asking for His forgiveness.

I know that I don’t want to rely on Jesus for everything, because I own the burden of my sins, too.  Trying hard to avoid sinning frees me from having to invoke Jesus to help intercede for me.  I want to savor the POWER of Jesus for those times when I really need his help.  That said, it is wonderful knowing that Jesus is there when I need him.  Amen.