JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Assurance

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) What assurance does John give us if we do sin? How does this comfort us? How does it make us want to avoid sin?

1. John assures us that if we do sin, Jesus stands in the gap for us by going to the father for us.

2. We know that if we do sin, there is a chance that we may be forgiven and that we won't be separated from God.

3. We want to avoid sin because we want to please God. We love Him and He has been so very good to us. We should strive daily to live by God's Word.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 John 2:1-2) What assurance does John give us if we do sin? How does this comfort us? How does it make us want to avoid sin?

The assurance we have if we do sin is that we have an Advocate with God the Father--Jesus Christ, who is at the Father's right hand pleading our case.

That in itself is comforting, but also, not only is Jesus pleading the case of those who place their trust in Him, but His blood/Himself has already provided the sacrifice for our sins, so this gives Him the right to plead our case. This should make us want to avoid sin out of love and gratitude for the sacrifice that has been made.

We know that, if we sin, we have an Advocate who will plead our case, and we will be forgiven! We make mistakes-we're not perfect. That is why Jesus did what He did at Calvary. So that we could be forgiven. He can plead our case, because He knows what we are going through. I know what He went through to deliver us from sin and death, and I want to show Him that I am grateful and I love Him, so I want to avoid those things that will bring me under condemnation.

Jesus advocates us, his righteousness is replaced for ours. It is comforting in knowing that it is not about measuring up. We can overcome that which we become embroiled in because it does not depend on us. It leads to avoiding sin, because in a love response and because of what Jesus did, want to grow past self and show love toward God. As state earlier, moves to darkness often are precipitated by being upset with God at some level. Moving away from sin comes from loving response.

When/if we sin, John gives us the assurance of Jesus being our Advocate and representative. He speaks to the Father on our behalf, in our defense!!

This is very comforting because its' in Jesus' hands! We could not have a better Advocate then Him. There is nothing else we need to do because His sacrifice was perfect.

This makes us want to avoid sin because this is proof of His love for us.We should desire to avoid it because we should be very grateful and desire to make Him happy!

JOHN GIVES US THE ASSURANCE THAT IF WE DO SIN, WE HAVE AN ADVOCATE WITH THE FATHER, JESUS CHRIST, THE RIGHTEOUS ONE.THIS IS COMFORTING TO ME BECAUSE IT GIVES ME THE ASSURANCE THAT ALL MY SINS ARE FORGIVEN, NOT TO BE USED AGAINST ME ANY MORE, AND ALSO GIVES ME CONFIDENCE TO STAND BEFORE MY HEAVENLY FATHER WITHOUT GUILT.THIS MAKES ME WANT TO AVOID SINNING BECAUSE IT MAKES ME GRATEFUL FOR WAHT HE DID ON THE CROSS FOR ME.THANK GOD FOR HIS MERCY AND GRACE, AND FOR HIS PRECIOUS HOLY SPIRIT WHO BRINGS AWARENESS OF SIN SO WE CAN REPENT AND BE IN RIGHT STANDING WITH GOD ONCE MORE. :)

What JOY to know HIS PROMISE to hear and to forgive. Not on any merit of ours BUT on the basis of Christs' death on the cross to take the penalty on our behalf so we, the guilty, can now walk free. GLORY.

We want to avoid bringing shame on our risen Lord Jesus or despising HIS great sacrifice on Calvary.

JESUS CHRIST HAS ALREADY PAID THE PRICE FOR OUR FORGIVENESS - MORE TO THAT HE IS IN CONSTANT PRAYER FOR OUR JUSTIFICATION AND PROTECTION FROM SIN.

THOUGH SATAN WUOULD LIKE TO PULL US DOWN BY CONSTANTLY SHOWING UP OUR SINS, WE KNOW THAT WE ARE FORGIVEN AND MADE TO BE SONS OF THE MOST HIGH GOD.

THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF EVERY CHRISTIAN IS TO BE LIKE CHRIST I.E. SINNLESS. WE SHOULD ALWAYS FEEL GUILTY EVERY TIME WE SIN BECAUSE THIS IS GOING THE WRONG WAY FROM THE GOAL

:wub:

When we sin, John assures us that if we confess our sin, Jesus will interceed for us with the Father. This gives us great comfort because we know that Jesus has already died for us so He has done everything possible to release us from sin.

Knowing He has done all this for me makes me want to avoid sin completely, for I want Jesus' approval.

Love Greta

:wub:

If we sin, we have Jesus to be our advocate and speak to God for us.

This comforts us because Jesus proves His love for us, by giving His life for us. And God proves His love for us, by sending His Son to die for us.

We do not want to disappoint God or Jesus, as they love us and we do not want to disspoint our loved ones.

That even if we do sin, we have One who speaks to GOD the Father, in our defence. This comforts us, because we know, that we have an Advocate who speaks on our behalf if we fall short of GOD's standards. This must not give us an excuse however, to carry on sinning because this eventuality is meant to take care of the weak moment in a Christian life instead of a way of life. It makes us want to avoid sin, because we do not want GOD the Son, constantly defending us in the throne room of heaven before GOD the Father against the Accuser. What does one say for a person who consistently sins although knowing the truth? I have never thought about it before in this way, but it is a frightening thought to test the LORD our GOD, the GOD of the universe after He has already sacrificed His Son on our behalves.

• 2 weeks later...

The assurance we have if we sin is that Jesus sits and pleads our case for us as an intercessor, an advocate. The comfort is that we find forgiveness by the love and mercy of Christ, he paid the price for me....it makes one want to avoid sin in order that we retain our fellowship with Christ.

The assurance that John gives us is of forgiveness that lies in the blood of Jesus Christ and His heavenly ministry as advocate. This comforts us because we know that Christ is interceding for us before God on our behalf. It should make us to want to avoid sin because Jesus took on Himself the punishment for our sins and satisfied God's righteous judgment against sin. Christ paid the price for us.

The assurance that Jesus Christ continues to be an oblation for our sins. Comfort omes from knowing that we have a counselor who will never leave us or forsake us. If we say we are children of God, our lives should be reproach.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Because we know how terrible the price that was paid by Jesus for our sins we ought let go of our sinful nature and walk with Him in the light. But, we are only human and we know we will sin again but we are assured that Jesus will speak for us to the Father and intercede for us when we fall and fail.

• 1 month later...

If we do sin, Jesus will be our advocate. He takes away our sins and removes our blemishes so we are seen as righteous. I find this comforting because it proves he is love. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:10

It makes me want to avoid sin because even though Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, when I sin even once, I think, if Jesus had nothing or no one else to die for, he still would have died for my one "insignifigant" lie. That is how serious each one of my sins are. Each one was pinned on him at the cross. Every individual ONE.

• 3 months later...

1. We have someone who has died for us, who will speak in our defense when we sin.

2. We are all sinners. It is a comfort to know that we are loved so much that our sins can be forgiven

3. We don't want to anger God or disappoint our savior. It is a shame to us to have to confess our sins. Humbles us hurts Jesus and us, and we don't want to sin anymore.

• 1 month later...

Our great assurance that if we sin we have jesus standing up for us to stop Gods wrath from coming upon us is enough to let us know that He is gracious toward us and that His mercy endures forever. This great love toward us is enough to make us want to stop offending through sinning against his will and honor him by loving him back and turning away from sin.

• 1 month later...

Reminding us of the intercession of Jesus Christ on our behalf. It is done but is still in action. We are relieved that we haven't ruined our relationship with God or our oopportunity to minister, unlike a culture in which we lived while in Asia....when a person wronged another, they no longer have any say or authority. Once they have "messed up" they have lost all influence. Not so with Christ. In His atoning also come grace. It is a double pronged event: atoning sacrifice AND grace. Because of it, we want to live wholly pleasing to Him.