JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Legalism vs. Love

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

For me, I try to get closer to

God by studying His Word and in meeting Him each morning and dedicating the day to Him for His Honor and glory. I have a different groups of friends and so I need to realize that each person has their own character, needs, and hopes which differ from everyone else. I need to ask God to help me not to judge and to love each person I meet. I can't all like them or what they do, but, need to realize that I need to love them in Jesus name.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must follow and obey Christ in all that He has shown us from His Word, and not to be legalistic or judgmental over other Christians that may be following Him and in obedience to Him, but in a different way. The Pharisees were self-righteous and didn

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

We must not forget that we are sheep too, and none but Christ exalted and adored. My mother used to call judgemental people "holier than thou-ists" or "plaster saints." But we are all guilty of the sin of arrogance and pride and judgement at one time or another. Love is having compassion for someone who sins, as Christ does for us, not forgetting that we too sin. We can pray to the Lord and to Jesus to take away our propensity to regard ourselves as better or holier than others and remember that all wer made in God's image. We can also rebuke and encourage each other. Sometimes one calls for the other.

When we remember where Christ has brought us from, the life we used to live when we were in the world, and where we are now, it will make all the difference. It is Christ's keeping power in us that keeps us, guiding and directing our steps daily. We can't do anything outside of Christ that we can be assured that we won't slip up again.

When you truly love someone, you will do whatever you can for them willingly. You don't mind that it is not always easy, but it's worth it. Knowing how much Jesus loved me enough to die on the cross for my sins is unreal. I can never even begin to repay Him, but all I know is that I love Him, and want to be with Him for all eternity. Being legalistic and judgmental means trying to obey the laws and rules, sticking to a form of godliness. There is no way one can follow every single part of the law. It's so important to keep in mind and remember where God has brought you from, the kind of life you once lived, and remember that it is only by God's grace and mercy that you are now saved. Forgetting those things will cause you to think you are better than others, looking down your nose at those you feel are less worthy, and your actions can cause much harm to be done to one who is truly seeking Christ.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our cent

Let us live a Gospel life, this is the only way not to get confronted with legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

Pax

1Jn 2:3 And hereby know we that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him:

1Jn 2:5 but whoso keepeth his word, in him verily hath the love of God been perfected. Hereby know we that we are in him:

1Jn 2:6 he that saith he abideth in him ought himself also to walk even as he walked.

We need to be obedient out of love for Christ, because it is what we want in our lives not because somewhere someone wrote that that was how we are to act. We need to be sincere in the obedience that we have and obey with honesty. Love is done from within while legalistic obedience is what others tell us what we must do. I honestly believe to obey with all honesty we have to have a relationship with out Lord. We need to know who Jesus is. We need to know what His Word says and we need to be in constant communication with Him through prayer ...not just talking but listening to what the Lord has to say to us. Above all we need faith to know our God

We can be serious only if we being true to the reason why we are doing certain things. Many of us say that we are not being judgmental but we are. We often look at people and judge the sin in other life because we want everyone to see us as this person that is so into church and doing good, but that show on the out side is just a show. If our heart is not right we are not right. We must do things in Love because this is what God is and what we are commanded to do, not because it's a law but it's our life. Without Love we are not representing God. We must learn to be obedient and show love in all our situation,It's hard at time especially when you have to show love to someone that have tried to or have hurt you. That's hard but it can be done if we keep our focus on God. The test isn't always easy, but the final grade will make the different. Keep God in the center and everything else around it will be affected by LOVE.

We as christians love because God first loved us. God loves us without any reservations.

Legalism is a bunch of man made or human developed rules and regulations that are suppose to regulate our lives, and dealings with one an other.

If we are serious about loving God we will not be so quick to pass judgment on our fellow man.

Q5 If we know that Jesus love us and died for our sins, we need to put our faith and trust in Him totally and also to keep His commandments faithfully so that we can be sure we are in Him as He is in us.

Love touches on concern and care for those in need whereas legalism touches on rules and rituals.

If we are to be serous about obedience and make love our center, we need to be like Christ and fully follow the two greatest commandments given to us; 'love of God and love of neighbour.' We need to let love flow to every corner of our being thus having that love overflow from us and reaching out to others to experience it.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without becoming legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

The study says it very well, giving the example of Jesus speaking with the Pharisees - "you neglect justice and the love of God." LOVE. There's a verse in II Cor. 5 - "For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."

If we're living for Him, we are compelled by love to obey Him and to bless others. We become legalistic when we're focused on ourselves and how "good" we look - either in God's eyes, others', or our own. God gave us commands in order to communicate with us how to live in a way that brings glory to Him and blessing to those around us. He did not give us rules in order for us to earn merit. He tells us His ways, so we can be like Him, and be fully who He created us to be. . . . again, it comes back to Relationship, Fellowship with Him and each other. Legalism only builds barriers and makes for competition. Jesus reprimanded his disciples for that kind of competition. He turned their thinking around to serving, not being "the best or greatest."

How do love and legalism differ?

I probably answered this in the above response, but -

Love is outwardly focused on God and others, giving oneself, surrendering, serving, joyfully obeying the Lord's commands.

Legalism is inwardly focused on self and what we may be "earning" for our obedience. Jesus did the earning for us. We are powerless to do what it takes . . .have to leave it to Him. Something our pastor said recently: All other religions of the world say "Do, Do, Do." Christianity says, "Done." Thank you Jesus!

If not based on merit-seeking, legalism is focused on the rules themselves and doesn't look beyond to their purpose. - What's the saying? - You lose sight of the forest in the midst of the trees?

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

Get with God!!! Come to know Him through His Word, prayer, His working in the world. Desire for obedience grows as your relationship with Him grows. God is love (that comes up in Ch. 4) - so if you're getting to know God, love becomes more and more your motivation for all of life. I love that passage the study cites: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

With Jesus gently leading us and teaching us, obedience becomes a joy! :)

Have a JOY-FILLED week!

Honesty about ourselves should help us from being legalistic. We wake up and the sun shines; we have a good breakfast get dressed; get in the car to drive to work or school. Someone cuts in front of us in another car. We keep our composure maybe the first time, but the next one to cut in front of us we are ready to give up all the victory which Christ has laid on us. We have no right to be legalistic for our lives are nowhere close to the way Jesus lived on this earth. When we see others sin we need to realize if it wasn

It is often very difficult not to be legalistic in situations that I find myself in, for me legalism is something that is very much a head thing where as love originates in the heart of a person.

From the time we are born we are taught to judge things , in fact each day we would be making a judgement about something or someone ,knowingly of unknowingly.

It is very much a part of our human conditioning,it is only through Gods grace that we learn to love and see people as God sees them.

Obedience to Christ comes out of a love relationship with him, we should not obey out of the law but out of our love for Him.

True CHristian faith results in a loving behavior and loving behavior is not judgemental or legalistic but seeing throught the eyes of our Lord Jesus...We must be obedient to His teachings and follow his example of complete obedience to God and have loving service to people....be compassionate.

This can be hard as you have to relate to Gods Word, read it, retain it, and live it out. In keeping in the word, thus walking closely to Christ we learn of His love and how to use it. We let love direct us, you can keep Gods laws and not be judgemental if you allow the love of Christ to work in you. This means surrendering all to Him, because if you do not surrender all to Him the human side of you will want to show that your way is correct,that you have some power, you will become legalistic and judgemental. Love has compassion patience, forgiveness and is kind and shows mercy. Legalism sticks to the law does not bend, has no mercy or forgiveness. Live in the Word, keep the commandments, and remember the Royal law,this shows we know God and are obedient to Him and love Him. :rolleyes:

We can be obedient to Christ without becoming legalistics if do it out of love Him.

Love is God centeredness thus depending on the righteousnes of God while legalism is self centered and thus self righteousness.

By allowing the Spirit of Love to fill us, we have compassion. Without Love we remain self-righteous, leagalistic and judgemental. God accepts is each where we are and surrrounds us with His Love, Word and Spirit. We are known by reputation and it should present itself as Love. When we deal with everyone we meet as Jesus would deal with them, it is Love. We can be serious about obedience by developing the Fruits of the Spirit (Gal 5:22 & 23).

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

Its about where we put our heart, I I put it in Jesus then love will bloom without become legalistic & judmental or self righteous attitude; it become objective (according to measure of Jesus not mine) and subjective (for His glory by doing His will) as well.

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

If we set out to obey, it becomes works. Then it is something I did and I am proud if my work. Just like the Pharisees.

But if we are in a loving relationship with Jesus, obeying will naturally flow out of that love.

Love is a action of gratitude.

Legalism is an action of fear.

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

If you are confident that God Loves you and will care for you.

Then you are freed up to Love and care for other people.

This is obedience

I AGREE WITH THIS ANSWER

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6)

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our centre?

Being in Christ we have this desire to please our Lord Jesus. This we do in a threefold way

We can be serious about obeying Christ without becoming self righteous, legalistic and judgemental by loving others as Christ loved the church. Doing this removes judgemental attitudes, self righteousness and legalistic rules. We should be comformed to the ways of Christ and not man. Love is patience and kind and legalism is a self center manmade law of unrighteousness. Manmade rules ruins the very essence of what Christ stands for. We are called to obey Christ. With Him there is no legalistic or self righteous spirit only love.

Patricia

by loving the Lord with a sincere heart and not just obeying a list of rules.Legalism is rules,love is devotion,wanting to obey out of deep love. We can make love our center by staying focused on the cross.