JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Selling the Birthright

Q1. Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17) What did selling the birthright represent? What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values? What does it reveal bout Jacob's character and values?

After looking at this question a second time, I understand a little better what is being talked about here. First of all, I have to look at birthright-what does that mean? Birthright is like a tradition in families with more than one child. The oldest child is entitled to the bulk of the inheritance. Where I come from, that meant the oldest MALE child was entitled to the bulk of the inheritance. In addition, the entitled one was expected to follow in his father's footsteps-carry on the job, pay the bills-head-of-household stuff.

So, with all that in mind, I considered the fact that Esau was willing to give that responsibility up for food. That tells me that Esau was more concerned with his stomach, then he was with the responsibilities that would be required of him at a later time. He didn't care about tradition, or family values-maybe I'm going too far here, but that is the general idea that I get from this. Fascinating stuff! Anyway, that is why Esau is being condemned-he didn't care about tradition or responsibility toward his family. Jacpb, on the other hand, was willing to do whatever it took to obtain these things for himself.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17) What did selling the birthright represent? What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values? What does it reveal bout Jacob's character and values?

Esau did not put any value what so ever on his birthright.we Esau was content in hunting and doing what he wanted at the time. He did not have his eyes on the future, but only the present. If he had he would not have sold his birthright for a bowl of soup. Jacob however valued his birth right from the beginning. It even talks about him trying to be the first born from the womb. Jacob knew his brother and I'm sure he knew he could take advantage of him. Jacob deceived his brother, but it also demonstrates how important the birthright was to him. He understood what it meant for the future.

Esau shows that he puts no value on his rightful place in the family and community. His appetite is more important than his position and he rejects the gift given by God in exchange for a bowl of soup. He lives for the moment without any thought of the consequenses.

Jacob showed that he is a man who will sieze the opportunity when it is presented to him. The birthright didn't belong to him but he took it. He didn't attempt to show Esau the error of his ways, but took advantage of the situation.

Love from Greta

:wub:

i think the reason the new testament hebrews condemned esau for selling his birthright was because of the significant importance of a birthright. your birthright is a gift (blessingJ from god that only god could give or take away, by selling his birthright he was showing contempt and disrespect for god and for what god felt was a most treasured gift that was only given to the eldest son as the head of the family. they also compare esau to the most deadly of sins because he did not value his birthright as the most sacred gift (blessing) from god and he was seen by the hebrews as being the worst kind of sinner, because of his total lack of respect towards god and his gift which is an unforgivable sin. it shows that jacob is very deceitful and very sneaky, he did everything wrong because he knew the value of esaus birthright and he wanted it enough to do whatever it took to get it, he stooped to stealing which also shows his lack of respect and his total contempt for esau

This is my first time visiting the Forum, and I haven't looked at anyone else's response so I hope this fits within the framework of what you all are used to!

I think the New Testament condemns Esau's selling of his birthright because we, too, as believers and children of God, have become heirs. We need to value our birthright, all the blessings that come to the firstborn because we're in Christ and He is in us. Nothing has more value than that. Our Father is a loving and forgiving God but there will come a time when it's essentially "too late". We will have to live with our choices. If we've gone for instant gratification and worldly pleasures thinking one day we'll get right with God and live by the Spirit, we may find it is too late, and all our pleading and all our tears will be of no avail. Our salvation is a serious matter.

Esau did not have his heart in the right place. He dismissed the cultures and values of the day, along with an attitude of disrespect to his father Issac. He gave up his birthright for whatever was convenient at the time. I think it could be a representation of being a child of GOD. I can relate to Esau's character and values,and what I see in myself. Do I dismiss my inheritance as a child of GOD, for some foolish earthly thing? As a child of GOD, I have to cherish my birthright into the kingdom of GOD and honor Him by respecting His Name and precepts. I do not want to be like Esau, who cherishes earthly desires more than accepting the gift of inheritance into the kingdom.

Well, about Jacob - that's another story! His character and his actions were deceitful, like his name, but I think his desires were better, and I know that GOD uses people you never would have though He would use (for example, Saul of Tarsus)for the glory of His Name!

Q1. Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17) What did selling the birthright represent? What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values? What does it reveal about Jacob's character and values?

Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17)

He did not value his heritage, but needed to satified his instant need. The instant taste of the food was a fleeting moment, as his birthright would have been a lasting value.

What did selling the birthright represent? He was selling his legal rights of being firstborn. As Pastor Ralph noted that this legal right is "to a double portion of the inheritance (Deuteronomy 21:17), plus leadership of the family or clan when the father died."

What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values? He really only cared for material things. He wanted things instantly and the future value of things were not important.

What does it reveal about Jacob's character and values? He is willing to wait for things but he will deceive in order to get what he wants. He is shrewd and knows the other person weaknesses.

The New Testament condemns Esau for selling his birthright because it showed Esau's willingness to give up God's blessings for immediate satisfaction.

Selling his birthright represented godlessness and lack of faith. It showed Esau's character as being self-serving,and fleshly / worldly.

As for Jacob's character; the passages showed Jacobs desire and value for the ways of Spirituality, it showed he would do anything to get it, no matter the cost to others.

The New Testament condemns Esau for selling his birthright because it showed Esau's willingness to give up God's blessings for immediate satisfaction.

Selling his birthright represented godlessness and lack of faith. It showed Esau's character as being self-serving,and fleshly / worldly.

As for Jacob's character; the passages showed Jacobs desire and value for the ways of Spirituality, it showed he would do anything to get it, no matter the cost to others.

I like your answer, we must put a value on the spiritual needs of our soul, it reminds me of Rahab, who lied to protect the spies and God counted it as righteousness, "faith"

Q1.Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17)

I believe it is because of the relationship that Esau forfeited when he traded his birthright for a bowl of soup. He was well aware of the relationship that his grandfather Abraham and his father Isaac had enjoyed with God, he knew of the blessings that God had bestowed on them, yet he gave it up for a bowl of soup walking away, not even looking back. The KJV says he "despised" it, he believed it to be worthless, vile, even contemptible.

When those whom God has blessed turn from Him, He is angry and it grieves Him.

In Hebrews 3:10/10 we can read that "a wicked, unbelieving heart - that refuses to cleave to, trust in and rely on Him" will end up standing alone apart from God.

What did selling the birthright represent?

Abraham had walked in the presence of the Lord as did Isaac. Isaac was blessed by God, living near "Beer-lahai-roi", which means "a well to the Living One Who sees me". Even though Abraham had given all that he owned to Isaac, the birthright that would have passed to Esau was more than tents, servants, animals, etc., it was a relationship with God.

As the eldest son, Esau, upon the death of Isaac, he would have become the chief priest, a prophet and the king of his family. And even though later he realized his error, crying and trying hard to regain it, God was faithful and just and held it fast not causing Isaac to cancel the agreement.

[What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values?

He lied to Jacob when he said that he was at "the point of death". Certainly, in the household there was food that he could have eaten to satisfy his hunger. But he saw the color of the soup, it was red, just like him. And he was willing to trade the blessing of God for soup that would only satisfy the hunger of his flesh.

What does it reveal about Jacob's character and values?

Jacob & Esau were twins. The Lord had told Rebekah that within her were the founders of two nations, the very division of two peoples in her womb. The Lord told her that one would be stronger than the other and the older one would serve the younger. So it was to be. Esau was born first but Jacob was literally on his heel, as he had taken hold of Esau's heel so that only mere seconds separated them in age.

Jacob = "heel holder" or "supplanter", or more precisely, "taking hold of the heel, supplanter, layer of snares" (from Gesenius's Lexicon). The word "supplanter" is from supplant: to displace and take the place of; to supersede; as, a rival supplants another. So a "supplanter" is "someone who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another" (http://www.onelook.com).

If Esau was a liar, Jacob was a thief for he took that which was not rightfully his.

The New Testament condemn's Esau's love for earthly pleasures. The author of Hebrews is showing what can happen when one gets too attached to their worldly goods; that one bad choice in a moment of weakness can throw it all away.

Esau's selling of his birthright... being of a spiritual nature, his undervaluing it, was the greatest profaneness imaginable. It is egregious folly to part with our interest in God, and Christ, and heaven, for the riches, honours, and pleasures of this world.

- Gen 25:31

This transaction tells us that Esau didn't value his faith or relationship with God and that he was thinking more of his own immediate desires. It shows us that Jacob is very shrewd but also very intelligent. To gain his brothers' first-born inheritance rights would help to ensure that he would fulfill the prophesy that God had given Rebakah when she was pregnant, and had certainly told Jacob about numerous times.

Oh, wow. Esau doesn't impress me as being a scriptural scholar--nor am I. He was hungry--and he didn't recognize the value of what he was trading. The fault seems more in the unity of his parents to convey the implications of the Blessing. It appears that Isaac and Rebekah did not constitute what we recognize as a nuclear family. Rather, they played games with 'your son' and 'my son'. That attitude prevails today. So much deception--with one spouse undermining the other. I see two children hurt by the failings of their parents.

selling his birthright was looked on as lack of faith in the new testament. it showed he put more value on getting something for himself for the moment than holding onto something of value from his father.The birthright was a legacy handed down from his father and should have meant more to him than a bowl of soup.It shows that Esau's values and morals were more earthly. Jacob proved he was deceitful and couldn't be trusted and would easily betray anyone to get what he wanted. I think the saddest part is that he deceived his father, if you can lie that easily to your father then you have no character, no morals,no values at all

Heb 12:16 that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.

Heb 12:17 For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears.

The Bible states in these verses that Esau was unholy, as he sold what his birthright was for a single meal and later when realizing his wrongness he was not able to undo the wrong even with tears. Selling his birthright in this manner shows to us Esau's character. His "fast get it now" mindset. This was something that once done could not be undone. For us it should remind us that we need to weigh the outcome of our actions...what they will mean to and for us in the future. As for Jacob we see that though not deceiving here he is very cunning and to the point of being ruthless. To give his own brother some of the stew would not have been a big hardship but he devises a way to make something for himself...though not being completely dishonest he uses his brother for his own opportunities. We need to question what we do and make the comparison of whether we are doing things just for our own gain.

This is my first time visiting the Forum, and I haven't looked at anyone else's response so I hope this fits within the framework of what you all are used to!

I think the New Testament condemns Esau's selling of his birthright because we, too, as believers and children of God, have become heirs. We need to value our birthright, all the blessings that come to the firstborn because we're in Christ and He is in us. Nothing has more value than that. Our Father is a loving and forgiving God but there will come a time when it's essentially "too late". We will have to live with our choices. If we've gone for instant gratification and worldly pleasures thinking one day we'll get right with God and live by the Spirit, we may find it is too late, and all our pleading and all our tears will be of no avail. Our salvation is a serious matter.

What an awesome answer...how often do we as followers of Christ are tempted or even give in to the idea of giving up our birthright. I know that in the past the temptation of worldly things have given way to my sinning...giving up my birthright for the fleeting moment of gratification. So like the stew it was so fleeting compared to all eternity...thank you for this answer because it sure made me think....bless you and welcome to a wonderful study

Q1. Why does the New Testament condemn Esau for selling his birthright? (Hebrews 12:16-17)

It's called a profane, godless sacrilege in the amplified Bible. He had no regard for his position in the family nor the responsibilities, because his stomach/flesh desired a bowl of lentil stew...instant gratification. He placed no value at all on the spiritual blessing which was his.

What did selling the birthright represent?

The birthright represented the legal rights of the first born to a double portion of the inheritance, plus the leadership of the family when his father died. This was a spiritual matter, of faith, passed down from generation to generation. Ignoring his privileged birthright, represents trampling on the things God values. Today we would call it "walking in the flesh".

What does this transaction say about Esau's character and values?

Esau was a man of the flesh with little regard for the spiritual heritage which was his by birth. This was a spiritual matter, a right and privilege given by God, and he placed no value on it.

What does it reveal bout Jacob's character and values?

Jacob desired the blessing which was Esau's by birth, and "bought" it with a bowl of stew....his character was flawed...he was a shrewd schemer, but he valued the spiritual blessing and went after it.

These are great answers and i agree with them all. I would only add that Esau didn't pray and went to his brother for deliverance of hunger instead of God.Jacob lacked faith and was impulsive as well.Jacob follows the footsteps of Abraham and Sarah when instead of waiting for God for a child,they take matters into their own hands.Instead of God's timing it was their timing and will.

The New testament condems Esay in Hebrews 12:16 because Jacob sold his birthright for a bowl of stew or porrage. It is considered that this one

act of not putting value in the birthright which would have made him the one thru whom the seed Jesus was born into his line of the family but it

was despised and he sold it for one meal one little bit of food.He thought so little of a spiritual right and sometimes we make one choice and

it has eternal consequences. Esau's values and character were shown thru this transaction as living for the moment for his stomach and his

comfort.His birthright represented the right to have the spiritual blessing of having the savior born into his line.Esau had the character of not

wanting to wait to be gratified right now. so he was but lost out in greater/future blessings . Esau could wait did not have to be gratified at the

minute but he was shown to have a deceptive and gredy character.

Selling birthright is like throwing away the future in life only to satisfy the current need. Esau was shortsighted in his life and never look forward to his future. We are also same as Esau, always think about near future that we can look for in this world and never look beyond to next life in haven. Jacob was also an impatient person which take life in his own hand and do not want to wait in front of God. He should know that God had prepared the future for him and what he has to do is to follow His path so that he would avoid sufferring in his life.

Esau did not care about it's value at the time...Esau had intention of regaining it back and was upset that he could not...For a meal, he took advantage of his brother not knowing his brother tricked him, but their mother was the one who started the ordeal that came to pass as she was the one who favored Jacob...It is a situation of manipulation...It so reminds me of people who do not want to accept the Lord until they are ready not knowing the next day is not promised..There will be many Esaus trying to go to heaven on judgement day...

Esau had been blessed as the firstborn, but he gave up his birthright without taking consideration of what will happen in the future. Besides, this is a sign that Esau is an impatient, reckless person. The birthright represented his special relationship with his father, but when he sold his birthright, it was as though he abandoned his relationship with his father. As for Jacob, though he was a shrewd man, he was patient and laid strategy in order to attain what he desired, in this case, the birthright of the firstborn. He was smart and quick to act when the right opportunity turned up.

:)

It seems as though Jacob was willing to set aside his momentary desires (the soup) to secure his future (by taking his brother's birthright). But it strikes me that by being so quick to take advantage of his brother's hunger, he was in fact seeking his own momentary desire, an eagerness to see his mother's prophecy fulfilled, instead of trusting in the Lord's promise and waiting for His timing to assume his rightful role as head of the family. Rather than depicting Jacob as the patient one, I see this passage as showing both brothers to be impetuous and self-seeking. Who knows what blessings Jacob may have wasted by putting his own timing before God's? Perhaps he would not later have had to deceive his father in order to gain his blessing. Perhaps he would not have had to flee for his life in fear of Esau.

Praise God! He is still faithful to uphold his promises, even when we choose the hard way of doing things(that is, our way over His). Jacob's end result may have been the same, in the promise of God, but his road to it certainly was more difficult for his mistake.

God chooses persons of great faith and belief as His leaders. He does not necessarily choose the most morally righteous persons ... David, for example, or even Saul of Tarsus (Paul). Jacob is to become the leader of a great nation, Israel. Is he deceptive, yes; is he honest and forthright, no. Will he go to any extent to fullfil God's prophecy to Rebecca that the younger son shall lead the elder, yes. Jacob is the man who wrestles with the angel of the Lord and gives the angel the condition that he will let loose of the Angel if the angel will bless him. Jacob wants the blessing of his earthly father as well as that of his heavenly father. Although he is a man with faults, he is none-the-less a man of great belief and faith in the Lord.

Easu story shows us that sins and mistakes we make have lasting consequences.

We ask for forgiveness but we still have to pay the consequences.

We need to pray about our long term decisions,base on what effect it will have on us

quilter Tn