JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. God's Increase

Q2. (Genesis 30:25-43) At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth? According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

From the onset. Even though Jacob has been a deceiver he knows God and trusts him. His faith is firm. In Deut 8:14 God warns his people about becoming proud. Sometimes we people get this I did it all my self attitude and its all about me. We forget that it is by God's hand that all blessings flow and not just by our own hand. We are merely the vessel in which God uses us to complete that very thing, whether it be material, spiritual or physical. God is always at the center of it all. Thank you Dear Lord for my increase and the prosperity(the ability to provide for my family, pay my bills, enjoy leisure time and above all serve your sheep) in my life which have come are coming and will come.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Genesis 30:25-43) At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth? According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

I think Jacob started realizing that God was in control when he dreamed. God showed Jacob all the spotted, striped, and mottled goats that were his. Jacob recalled God's promise to bless him. We must be careful not to say in our heart, "My power and a the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth

Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause when the animal's color patterns are changing to Laban's inconsistencies. If we don't keep our focus on God, we might get the crazy idea that we are the cause of our good future. LOL We must always remember where all blessings and goodness flow from -- our Father Who Art in Heaven Hallow Be His Name ...

At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth? When he realizes that no matter how Laban changes the deal of the contract, God keeps changing the color of the animals. Genesis 31:9 Thus God hath taken away the cattle of your father, and given them to me.

According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase? We begin to forget that the increase is from God Almighty whose grace is sufficient for all things and begin to believe that since we have all

When Jacobs wages had been changed perhaps two or three times < I feel then he realized that God was doing the

changing that it was two strange for it to be caused by anything he could do it took generations to change a

full flocks pattern by just breeding practices and each time the wages changed the patterns on the sheep changed

the next season.

When our income and assets begin to increase we are in dangger of attributing the increase to something we did

and pride and greed could become issues in our lives. And to ignore God's work and blessings of provision as not

Gods work and a blessing but to our due and from our efforts. Humility and thankfullness to God will keep us from

pride and greed.

At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth? According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18,

When his father-in-law keeps changing the deal and he continues to gain sheep.

what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

We begin to think its trough our own means and start to rely less on God.

Q2. (Genesis 30:25-43) At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth?

When Laban keeps changing his wages and puts different challenges before him he realizes that its not what he's doing but that it has to be the hand of the Lord that gives him favor.

According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

A lot of times when things are going well with us and especially with our finances we get to feeling that we are doing great works all on our own and the we are somebody special which brings about pride and arrogance that can destroy ourselves and others around us spiritually. We must always remember that we can't do anything without the Lord's hand upon us and that its always His blessings that allows us to prosper.

I believe at first Jacob probably believed in the method he was using to provide the type of animal he wanted but as the colour groups changed and right along with it the breeding also did he at that time would realize that this was not his doing but the Lord's.

Deu 8:17 Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.'

Deu 8:18 You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

When we start to increase in any kind of wealth, material goods or even power we are often tempted to say it is because of what we are doing...it is because of our sucess but we have to remember it is the Lord God who gives to us and only by His power.

I think Jacob realizes that it is God manuvering the outcome of his and Laban's dealings when the conditions are constantly changed and the result still works out in favor of Jacob. The danger in increase and wealth is that the person who is acquiring the wealth forget that it is a blessing of God and begins to take credit for acquiring it by their own means.

I believe he knew that God would make the increase in wealth because God promised to be with him and his offspring. Although he knew that God was in the midst, he misdirected Laban' attention so that Laban think that it was because of the colored sticks. Once he was blessed at Penuel his faith and confirmation of his commitment enlarged geometrically as he received God's gifts.

Many of us think that our achievements are a result of our own doing. The danger is that we become self sufficient, we don't need any outside help from God or anybody else. God created heaven and earth and all that is them. He owns everything. What we have is because God blesses us.

I believe he knew that God would make the increase in wealth because God promised to be with him and his offspring. Although he knew that God was in the midst, he tricked Laban to think that it was because of the colored sticks. Once he was blessed at Penuel his faith and confirmation of his commitment enlarged geometrically as he received God's gifts.

Many of us think that our achievements are a result of our own doing. The danger is that we become self sufficient, we don't need any outside help from God and anybody else. God created heaven and earth and all that is them. He owns everything. What we have is because God blesses us.

1. At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth?

It seems that Jacob is fully aware of God being in control when he says to Laban that "the LORD has blessed you wherever I

have been". So it would seem that he already knew that God was in total control of the multiplication of the streaked,

speckled or spotted flocks.

2. According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

There will always be danger when we begin to think that our increase of income, assets and wealth are because of us and not

because of God. We take our eyes off of the LORD and begin to think that we had everything to do with our wealth. The

danger will always be that we can loose it all.

Jacob knew that his breeding techniques did not cause his flock to bread so successfully but it was God who prospered him because if he had speckled flock, they would breed well. If he had streaked flocks, then these would breed well also.

The danger we face when we become wealthy is that we tend to think we became rich through our own abilities, talent and hard work, and we forget to to acknowledge that it is God who gave us the power to create wealth.

• 2 weeks later...

It probably didn't take Jacob long to realize he was getting the flocks he was promised through God's intervention, rather than his creative breeding techniques. If Laban promised Jacob all the spotted animals would be his,then spotted ones would be born. If striped ones were promised,then the animals would breed striped offspring and so on.

In Psalm 139,David talks about how God formed him in his mother's womb before he was born. God not only created all things,He is in control of all creation. It would be no problem for God to form the lamb and/or goat embryos so that they came out speckled or spotted at birth inspite of what the parent animals were.

The danger we are in when our income and assets begin to increase is it is easy to think we have gained prosperity by our own doing,when it is God who gives the increase.

• 2 weeks later...

When Jacob sees how the breeding patterns of the flock are following always to his advantage without him doing anything, he understand it is God's work to 'grow his wealth' and overcome the tricks of Laban. God shows Jacob that He will take care o him and this increases Jacob's faith. This is the same for me in my new job.

We must all be aware that what we get is a gift from God and should use it to His glory only. This must be a focus we should not for get, but we so often do. Real thankful prayer and meditation are necessary, on a daily basis.

When Jacobs sees the blemished sheep and goats in larger numbers without any intervention from himself. It is at this point he realizes God is increasing his herd.

I don't think that Jacob ever had the notion that such tactics would prove successful. I believe that he had such faith and trust in God that he believed his efforts and involvement in such tactics would result in God blessing his faith and those efforts to bring success and prosperity in his life. . .

There is always the temptation to think that our efforts, intellect, physical strength, or resources have been the cause of our success - but, we must remain humble and continue to trust God to manifest and bring to pass what He has promised us - what we have believed Him for. . . Our effort certainly play a part in any success we have - but it is not by our efforts alone. . .

James 2:17-26 (NLT)

17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”

19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.

20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

21 Don’t you remember that our ancestor Abraham was shown to be right with God by his actions when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?

22 You see, his faith and his actions worked together. His actions made his faith complete.

23 And so it happened just as the Scriptures say: “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” He was even called the friend of God.

24 So you see, we are shown to be right with God by what we do, not by faith alone.

25 Rahab the prostitute is another example. She was shown to be right with God by her actions when she hid those messengers and sent them safely away by a different road.

26 Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.

B)

• 1 month later...

As Laban changed the agreement according to the color of the goats meant for Jacob, so did the color change. If this were to happen once or twice, Jacob may have thought it to be from his 'own power.' This occurred enough times that Jacob could not deny that it was the power of God intervening in the situation. It is a good example of how God reveals to us that He is in control of our situations.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Genesis 30:25-43) At what point do you think Jacob realizes that his breeding techniques are not the cause of his growing wealth?

Even the most optimistic animal breeder would realize that the results of the mating of the sheep and goats to produce the exact coloration that Jacob wanted was an act of Divine intervention. Jacob initially tried his old ways of using tricks to achieve his ends but it didn't take long for God to reveal Himself as the power behind the breeding results. Laban kept shifting the goal posts but at every change God still made things happen to suit Jacob. I think that as soon as Laban changed the rules and the sheep and goats were born according to the new rules and not according to the way Jacob tried to make it happen, that Jacob would have realized that God was making things go his way.

According to Deuteronomy 8:17-18, what danger are we in when our income and assets begin to increase?

When we are successful in business or in any endeavor for that matter, there is a danger that we will begin to think we did it all on our own, by our own means and strength. Society admires the self-made man, and the more we are described as such the easier it becomes to believe that is what we are. It's the sin of pride. Full marks to Jacob for acknowledging God as the author of his success.

• 1 month later...

When our income and assets begin to to increase and multiply we believe that it is of our own doing and that we no longer need God in our lives.

• 5 months later...

2a)Each time Laban changes the terms of the deal, the colouring patterns of the kids &lambs being born seem to change.He then realises it must be God’s work,as his breeding pattern benefits Jacob not laban. He believes it is God who provides him with the skill,health,body strength patience required in breeding time.

B)When we increase in wealth we are in danger of not depending on God so much and leaning on our assets instead,forgetting God’s role in providing our resources.Everything we have is hHis, for us to be stewards of for his plans.

• 11 months later...

Jacob may not have ever believed that his breeding techniques were the cause of his growing wealth but figured that it didn’t hurt to try. But I think that after Laban changed the terms of his contract, and the animals changed to the color of what Laban was demanding, then Jacob new for sure that it wasn’t his breeding skills that were helping anything.

The danger in our income and assets beginning to increase we take credit for it and don’t think that God has anything to do with it. Then we think that we did it all and start to worship our money instead of God.

• 2 years later...

When Laban kept changing the terms of the agreement. I wonder if He was doing what God told him to do with the different breeding techniques and learned that it was God's doing each time Laban changed and the flock subsequently changed?

Pride

Attributing our own self to our success and not recognizing that God gave us the ability to do what we do in order for us to get the increase.

When Laban kept changing the terms of the agreement. I wonder if He was doing what God told him to do with the different breeding techniques and learned that it was God's doing each time Laban changed and the flock subsequently changed?

Pride

Attributing our own self to our success and not recognizing that God gave us the ability to do what we do in order for us to get the increase.