JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Evangelists

What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like?

An evangelist in a local congregation acts like a bridge between the church and the world. He preaches the good news of Jesus Christ and calls people in the world for repentance and leads them to follow Christ and join the local congregation to worship and grow in the Lord.

A local church evangelist usually functions attached to the church that would give him the financial and pastoral backing he needs and he would always attaqch his new converts to his church for pastoral care.

In doing so he builds the body of Christ telling the good news; by leading non-believers to Christ and by helping them to ease their way into a church community.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Evangelist in our local congregation are people who preach in Open Air meetings ( market places and shoping centres)

They build the Church in away that they look for those people who have never heard of Christ and lead them to the Lord.

• 6 months later...

An evangelist declares the Gospel. I think most people we call "evangelists" today are usually out in front preaching about the good news of Salvation, but we really all are called to be evangelists every day.

I do think though some are more gifted to reach masses of people over what one not really gifted in that would do on a regular basis. People are more drawn to them through the Holy Spirit.

Either way though, an evangelist builds up the Body of Christ by sharing faith, awakening people to their faith and are always making more and more disciples to continue that work.

• 6 months later...
Q3. (Ephesians 4:11) What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience? How does a local church evangelist function? How does he or she build up the body? Exposition

The local evangelist is one who witnesses at every opportunity. They are in the workplace, the community, or where ever telling of the greatness and goodness of God. They live a pure life. They often bring an encouranging Word - either through testifying or preaching - to the church. I personally believe that we are all called to evangelism. When the Lord gave the great commission He did not say only the ordained or liscensed preacher could do that. He said go and teach. Proclaim the gospel. EVERYONE!

• 5 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 4:11) What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience?

These are Ministers who bring people to faith in Christ. This could be done in special services, such as Evangelistic Crusades or as the Minister travels as an Itinerant Preacher.

How does a local church evangelist function?

In the local church an Evangelists might instruct other church members on how to effectively share their faith.

How does he or she build up the body?

They build the Body through teaching of the Word of God, in discipling and in instructing members how to be effective workers.

• 4 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 4:11) What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience? How does a local church evangelist function? How does he or she build up the body?

The local church evangelist focus on presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ and winning souls for Christ vice focusing on Discipleship Training, etc. In addition, the evangelist teaches others how to present the plan of salvation and usually directes the Outreach Program in a church.

• 5 months later...

An evangelist looks like you or me, going about the community and being a witness for the Lord. This is sowing seeds that will lead to increasing church membership and building up the body of Christ.

Evangelists are set apart in appearance, placement in the church and in sense of importance by churches. They are not necessarily held to a higher standard but they are given higher standing. They are sweaty, outspoken, podium pounding giants who - when truly filled with the Spirit- usher in the Good News and allow God to speak candidly and refreshingly to His people. I would like to believe we are all evangelist but truly not everyone is gifted to share the Good News although each of our lives, testimonies and trials are intricate parts of the Good News today. The Good News of Christ's deeds and Return should be evident in our lives but again not all of us are able to share on that level.

Evangelists seemingly are the ones called to lead tent revivals, church revivals and special programs which a church uses to rejuvenate the congregation, add to its numbers or to simply speak as they have been instructed and inspired to do. The key seems to be that the ones lead by the Spirit and Truth really do bring the Good News as intended in whatever form the Spirit calls for: exhortation, rebuking, uplifting, reminders, reflections, edifying, a call back to basics...

When an evangelists walks in spirit and truth the body cannot do anything but respond in spirit and truth (that is a willing and obedient body of believers!). Evangelists are not responsible for the respondents, only to doing their part.

• 1 year later...
Q3. (Ephesians 4:11) What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience? How does a local church evangelist function? How does he or she build up the body? Exposition

I've always thought of an evangelist as a missionary, but an apostle is also an missionary but more. Apostles seem to stay around and teach, evangelists seem to spread the good news of salvation - plant the seed.

An Evangelist is a real believer who has been 'gifted' by God to tell the good news. In a sense we are all evangelists in that we

have been given the great command to 'go into all the world and..." tell the good news to every nation. However, some people

just LOVE to tell others about Jesus and His work on the cross on their behalf; that's where the giftedness come in. Most people

are afraid to just go up to a stranger and tell them the good news. I believe I am an evangelist because before I became a

believer, I would not talk to anyone hardly; now you can't stop me. I know they need to know the Truth in the person of Jesus

in order to get to Heaven; also they can't KNOW God without repenting and accepting Jesus. So, I now love to tell everybody

about Jesus. If I find myself not wanting to tell others......I need to repent of sin in my life and get the joy back....that's my

strength. Sin makes us not use our gifts...

• 1 year later...

I see an Evangelist as people with the gift to proclaim the "Good" news. There is a fire in their hearts for people to know the truth and experience FREEDOM in the truth. It's like a fire locked up in their bones for everyone to know Jesus, Jesus, Jesus and the forgiveness of sin and the new life they can have in Him. They don't overlook sin in their message, but the JOY of the Lord is poured out of them when they say, "You can come, no matter what! You can beat all that! You can be new!" Evangelists have a contagious passion and joy. They make people say, "What do you have that I don't have and how do I get it?" They know the love of God and want others to have that too! So...they proclaim, proclaim, proclaim!

• 1 month later...

Yesterday there was an evangelist on the telly.

He spoke to strangers on the station or something.

Most people hate that, but sometimes he wins a new Christian.

this way he builds up the body of Christ.

• 2 months later...

Q3.(Ephesians 4:11)

What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience?

How does a local church evangelist function?

How does he or she build up the Body?

They are engaged in spreading the gospel and the good news of salvation. A good example would be the missionaries that churches send out. They build up the Body by winning souls for Jesus; helping to expand the churches. They are good examples to the congregation on how to go about evangelising.

• 7 months later...

1. They look like you and me. They are gifted with the ability to talk to others, lead them to know Chrst. They are versed in the Bible, and can help you find answers to your problems there.

2.The evangelist functions as missionary, leader, preacher, teacher, Often they sit in our congregation listening, then commenting on our lessons.

3. They help build the church with new members, new converts, but it dosen't stop there. They keep the church body active in serving the Lord.

Evangelists are people who have a deep concern for people whom God is calling to faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. They come alongside people who they sense God is calling into His kingdom and lead them to our Savior. They are able to present the Gospel in a way that leads to saving faith. An evangelist not only presents the Gospel, but encourages a person to continue on their path to discipleship. This usually includes referring people to teachers and pastors who can guide them. Some are called to be evangelists, teachers, shepherds, prophets, apostles etc. We all work together as the Holy Spirit completes the work of regeneration in a person's life. Some plant, some water, but it is God who gives the increase.

• 2 months later...

An evangelist in my local congregation looks like a person that shares the gospel with others. Sometimes they can be too pushy even though they are sincere and are really looking after the other persons here after. The local church evangelist functions by talking to the new people that are just visiting and telling them about Jesus Christ. They can build up the church Body by their knowledge of the bible and helping others understand what Jesus Christ is all about.

• 3 years later...

To me, an evangelist is a person that can bring the word of God to life. They can take the bible and bring the thoughts and feelings of those books to life. They show how the messages are still very relevant to today. The are like the cheerleaders of the Word. They bring excitement, a renewed interest, a meaningful purpose to be there.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 4:11) What does an evangelist in a local congregation look like, in your experience? How does a local church evangelist function? How does he or she build up the body?

An evangelist in a local congregation is one who preaches the gospel of Christ. Local congregations today need men and women as gifted evangelists who bring people to faith in Christ. Some might win two or three a year -- every year, year after year.(notes)

In preaching the Gospel the evangelist builds up the body of Christ.

• 5 years later...

In our local church an evangelist is like a missionary who preach gospel message to people who are not saved and brings people to faith in christ.The function of the local evangelist is to travel around the world preaching the good news from people who are far away from God and bring them to God.

I  the local church the evangelist build the body of christ by instructing other church members how to effectively share their faith.