JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God My Shepherd

GOD WAS WITH JACOB THOUGHT OUT HIS WHOLE LIFE EVEN THROUGH IN HIS OLD AGE HE COULD

SEE CLEARLY HIS DEPENDENCE UPON GOD.

HE HAS CLEARLY LED ME SINCE I HAVE COME TO KNOW HIM. HE HAS BEEN THERE FOR ME IN THE GOOD TIMES AND BAD.MY SAVIOUR HAS TRULY FED ME AND ANSWERED MANY MANY PRAYERS

I TRUST HIM COMPLETELY. HE WILL NEVER LEAD YOU WRONG IN ANY PART OF YOUR LIFE.

God acted as a Shepherd to Jacob by leading and guiding him throughout his whole life.

God acts as a Shepherd to me by keeping me from straying onto the wrong paths. The more time I spend in reading my bible and praying,the more I am able to stay on the right path.

Most of the time I trust the Lord as my Shepherd,although I hate to admit there are times when I do rebel. I'm usually not on the wrong path very long when I am convicted by the Holy Spirit. There is no peace in my spirit until I repent and allow my Shepherd to lead me back onto the right path. I was one of the lost sheep,when around the age of 11 or 12,The Shepherd found me and brought me into His sheepfold. :D

Q4. (Genesis 48:15) How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob? How does God act as a Shepherd to you? Do you trust him or rebel against his shepherding?

God spoke to; protected; provided for; and guided Jacob as a shepherd would his sheep. God shepherds me in the same manner. I trust God's shepherding.

(Genesis 48:15) How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob? How does God act as a Shepherd to you? Do you trust him or rebel against his shepherding?

God was Jacob's Shepherd throughout Jacob's life. In Jacob's latter days, God told Jacob that he would go with him and bring him back to the promise land. This reassured Jacob that God would take care of him. On his dying bed Jacob knew that he would be taken back home to be burried because God had promised him this.

God is my Shepherd because he makes me aware in dreams, or by the lower level pain in my belly at times about things to come, or things that I should not persue. I have rebelled against the Shepherd's leading and always get in trouble. Hopefully I have finally learned to follow His leadership. Fortunately I do repent whenever I find out that I am wrong and my loving Father always takes me back.

Q4. (Genesis 48:15) How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob? How does God act as a Shepherd to you? Do you trust him or rebel against his shepherding?

Looking at Jacob's life as a whole, using this Bible study, and observing my own life shows me that God is truly a good Shepherd: He looks after and meets all our needs. With Jacob, we see He took care of all his needs, blessed him and those who were a blessing to Jacob, and protected him. In my own life, I see how He has cared for me, despite of myself; He looked after me even in my anger towards Him, and I see how the bad things in my life made me look to Him, and how He has provided all my needs. Honestly, I am still learning to lean on Him, and don't always do the things I know I should, but I am trying and asking Him to help me get better spiritually.

Looking at Jacob's life as a whole, using this Bible study, and observing my own life shows me that God is truly a good Shepherd: He looks after and meets all our needs. With Jacob, we see He took care of all his needs, blessed him and those who were a blessing to Jacob, and protected him. In my own life, I see how He has cared for me, despite of myself; He looked after me even in my anger towards Him, and I see how the bad things in my life made me look to Him, and how He has provided all my needs. Honestly, I am still learning to lean on Him, and don't always do the things I know I should, but I am trying and asking Him to help me get better spiritually.

A simple definition of a shepherd is one who who looks after the sheep, feed them and protect them from wolves and other predators. When a sheep wanders off from its flock, the shepherd would go and look for it. When the sheep is injured, the shepherd would tend to it, nursing it back to health. God was the faithful shepherd to Jacob - he looked after Jacob and provided for him and his family. He guided Jacob in all that he did.

God has been shepherding me all my life. He has provided for me and guided me. Even when I took the wrong paths, he brought me back to the right ones. Yes I trust Him completely now. It was not so easy to trust him when I first became a christian because I did not understand His ways.

Q4. (Genesis 48:15) How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob? He led him to the place where He would make a difference in Jacob

• 1 month later...

By leading him throughout his life - and while leading him providing for his every need - protecting him from his enemies - and restoring him when he strayed. . .

Psalms 23:1-6 (NKJV)

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

God acts as my Shepherd in all of the same ways as He did for Jacob. . .

I trus Him - however, i must admit that there has been times when "in self" I wasn't following Him as close as it was necessary for Him to do all of these things for me as He desired. . .

B)

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Genesis 48:15) How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob?

God told Jacob where he wanted him to go and what He wanted him to do. God also protected Jacob, even when Jacob made mistakes.

How does God act as a Shepherd to you?

God provides for my every need. I'm 57, lost just about everything in my divorce years ago, and work as a professional musician in a cut-throat industry. I turned professional at age 43, after work injuries prevented my going back to work. God has kept my hands good to play and helps me find enough work to keep going, pay all my bills, feed myself, and give Him my tithe. On my own I know that wouldn't happen. I often complain that things are really hard for me but I always get enough, even if it's only just enough most of the time.

Do you trust him or rebel against his shepherding?

I suppose for the most part I trust God in that He's working for my benefit. It's sometimes hard to fathom how losing all my work four times in the first seven years thanks to the machinations of truly evil power brokers in the music industry (including the Mafia) could possibly be of any benefit to me, but it has taught me to be resourceful. I work on getting all my own gigs and I know for certain that God is with me in this.

• 2 weeks later...

He took care & protected him all of Jacob;s life.

He watches over me constantly & is always there to lead me when I stray into harm's way. I trust him totally & am learning daily to depend on him more than I ever have. Yes, sometimes I think at the very least, I become stubborn when I hear him telling me one thing & I want ( my flesh) wants, to do something different.

• 6 months later...

4a)God guided, comforted when mourning loss of Rachel,mother, father, encourages when in fear from Esau and Laban, instructs after Shecham slaughter, equips to give blessings and protects Jacob.When he wandered off God sought hi out and restored him

b)I can see how God has guided,directed , comforted,and encouraged me during my life

c)I have put my trust in Jesus for 30+yrs, he has proved faithful to me through severe illenss and equips me to overcome many challenges.I’m grateful that when I try to go on my own he seeks me out.

• 1 year later...

God acted as a Shepherd to Jacob by being with him at all times. He helped to guide him in his path and to console him when he was down and with him when he was at the top of his world. God acts like a shepherd to me in the same way. I have been known to rebel against his shepherding but I also trust him.

• 9 years later...

Q4. (Genesis 48:15)

How did God act as a Shepherd to Jacob?

How does God act as a Shepherd to you?

Do you trust him or rebel against His shepherding?

A shepherd leads and guides his sheep to the place they need to be. Sometimes a walk to the pasture, or water or back to the fold.  A shepherd sees to have the needs of his sheep fulfilled.   He protects his sheep from predators. A shepherd also disciplines a sheep.  If it is prone to wander, he will break its leg , then bind it and keep the sheep close , watch it and then by the time the leg is healed the sheep has learned to stay close to the shepherd.  Should a sheep have strayed from the flock , the shepherd will ensure the safety of the flock and go back over the hills looking for the one that had wandered away. Upon finding it, he will nurture it, if wounded will pour oil on the wound ,  then he will carry it back to the rest , rejoicing in having found the lost. 

In the above general picture of the shepherd we can see how God acted the role of the Shepherd in Jacob's life. 

Throughout Jacob's journey to Laban and then back again, right up to his journey to Egypt God promised to not leave him.  We can see how He was with him, protected him in Laban's scheming.  He was not removed from the situation, but God was with him In the situation and blessed him.  Jacob had been devious in his dealings with his father and brother.  Consequences of this was  leaving home and only returning after 20 yrs. (Discipline).  Laban abused Jacob in his scheming, the result being a loveless relationship with his first wife and a tumultuous household.  Not an easy situation to live in.  God was with him even in this relationship, he blessed them and children were born to him, which were the eventual "head's" of the tribe of Israel.   The sons scheming to rid themselves of the favourite son, Joseph, also turned to eventually be a blessing.  So we see Jacob was not taken out of the difficult situation, but God was present with Him in that situation. The ever present shepherd.

God too has been with me and proved a real Shepherd throughout my life. He has nurtured, healed protected etc and been ever faithful.  In Hosea 6:1 we read that the Lord has torn so that He may heal us; He has stricken so He may bind us up.   He has proved to know best in all situations and has been true to His Word.  I love Him with all of my heart and know that it is by grace and grace alone that He has set me free.