JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Firstborn over All Creation

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus was with God at creation, -ie Let us make man in our own image. He was before all things and in HIm all thing exist and were created, He was before all things period. I think He may have been a created being in the sence that He came to earth in the form of man- the begotten son of God.Creation exist because God created it, and everything in it- Jesus has complete authority over the whole earth, under the earth, and above. He is the great I AM.

"Firstborn over all creation/every creature" means that Jesus is preeminent over all created beings.

Jesus is not a created being. He has always existed like God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

In this sense, "firstborn" refers to a special status. It is Christ who is the Creator of all things on earth and in heaven.

The purpose of creation was for His pleasure.

Jesus' past role in creation was that He was the Creator of all things.

His present role in creation is as Ruler. All of creation exists to serve Him.

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does "firstborn" mean here? What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus' preexistence? What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? According to verse 17, what is Jesus' past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

Colossians 1:15b-17 - the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does "firstborn" mean here? Jesus is not the first created being, but He is over all created beings. He is God's Son and He has power over all.

What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus' preexistence? God was always in the creation. In Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,...." The word "us' must mean that there was someone else there, and therefore it must be His Son.

What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? All things were created by Him and through Him

According to verse 17, what is Jesus' past role in creation? He is before all things

What is his present role in creation? In Him all things hold together

I think that 'firstborn of all creation' means that Jesus is supreme over all creation.

Jesus is Not a created being, He is the Creator. He was here before the world began and brought everything into being. Without Him, nothing would have been created, and He also holds everything together.

Love from Greta

a.

Jesus is not a created being. "Firstborn" here means the special status that a firstborn son had and probably still has especially within Judaism. Jesus is preeminent over all created beings.

b.

"Everything was created in him, through him, and for him". As it says here that everything was created through him, Jesus must have been there, so he must have existed before creation.

c.

"Everything was created by him and for him". So Jesus is the Creator of everything and everything was created for Jesus. This makes all of creation subordinate to Jesus. We have been created for Jesus. Therefore for his pleasure and to serve him with everything we have and we are.

d.

Jesus existed before creation. He was, as can be read in Colossians 1:16, the Creator of everything. The second part of this verse is even more interesting: "and in him all things hold together". This means that if Jesus were not there, everything, all of creation would simply fall apart. So, basically, Jesus holds it all together. He is in control!

I sometimes say these very comforting words to myself, especially when I am stressed or insecure, "It ain't over until God says it's over". But you could also say, "It ain't over until Jesus says it is over". Again, Jesus holds everything together. He IS in control!

Q. 2 (Colossians 1:15b - 17)

What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature mean?

This means that Christ always existed before anything was created.

Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does "firstborn" mean here?

He is not a created being because Jesus is God. God was never created.

What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus pre-existence?

We are taught that Jesus made things that man can and can not see. Jesus created kingdoms, thrones, rulers, and authorities in a world unseen.

What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation?

The purpose of creation is to serve and worship the Lord.

According to verse 17, what is Jesus past role in creation?

He created all creation.

What is his present role in creation?

Now Jesus sustains all creation and holds all creation together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does “firstborn of all creation/every creature” mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does “firstborn” mean here? What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus’ pre-existence? What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? According to verse 17, what is Jesus’ past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

Jesus was first and is the creator of the world and all things in the world!! He is not a created being..he was the CREATOR of all things, which gives him supremacy over all creation! Everything was created to honor and glorify Him.

Jesus has always been, will always be, he is the beginning and the end..the alpha and the omega!

His present role in creation is as Father,King,Leader,Teacher,Savior,Redeemer,(he is ALL in ALL) of all mankind.

• 3 months later...

2a)It means that Jesus has special status,he is preeminent. He is above all created beings and spiritual authorities.The sum total of everything created.He is the most exalted king of the earth.cool.gif B)No.

c)Jesus predates everything. He was with God in the beginning,through him all things were created John1:1-3.Jesus is preminentcool.gif.

D)He was there before all created things.Without him nothing was made.

E)Past role in creationJesus created all things, whether physical or spiritual.&they exist to server him.smile.gif f)Present role-Jesus is in heaven with the Father. He holds/keeps all things together, unites all things and sustains them.He assists us against any demonic powers in the spiritual battle we are in. biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

First born of all creation means preeminence over all things/everything, Jesus is a spiritual being and first over all creation (humankind, all angelic beings, principalities and powers, visible and invisible on earth and in heaven; everything and everybody). All things are made by Him, are held together by Him, and are for His purposes. He existed before all things were created.

• 2 years later...

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does firstborn of all creation/every creature mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does firstborn mean here? What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus pre-existence? What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? According to verse 17, what is Jesus past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

firstborn of all creation does not mean that Jesus was created first does not have the modern concept of the first out of the womb but means instead, as in the Near East, but that he is preeminent over all created beings. Old Testament references show this use of the concept of "firstborn" as preeminent:  "Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son.'" (Exodus 4:22) and "I will also appoint him my firstborn,

the most exalted of the kings of the earth."  (Psalms 89:27) Both of these quotes show clearly that the use of first born is one of preeminence.

NO, Jesus is NOT a created being- if he were than he would not be divine and our faith, our hope our belief would be futile.

Verses 16 and 17 remind us that Jesus is God : that-In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life,and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.(John 1:1-5)

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does firstborn of all creation/every creature mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does firstborn mean here? What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus pre-existence? What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? According to verse 17, what is Jesus past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

firstborn of all creation does not mean that Jesus was created first does not have the modern concept of the first out of the womb but means instead, as in the Near East, but that he is preeminent over all created beings. Old Testament references show this use of the concept of "firstborn" as preeminent:  "Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son.'" (Exodus 4:22) and "I will also appoint him my firstborn,

the most exalted of the kings of the earth."  (Psalms 89:27) Both of these quotes show clearly that the use of first born is one of preeminence.

NO, Jesus is NOT a created being- if he were than he would not be divine and our faith, our hope our belief would be futile.

Verses 16 and 17 remind us that Jesus is God : that-In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life,and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.(John 1:1-5)

Jesus as as the second God-head of the trinity created the universe and is still creating and recreating the universe. Today He is my saviour and I live for Christ and he lives for me and each day I die unto Christ and each death is gain. Until that final day when I, like stephen, see Christ standing by the right hand of God as He waits for me and welcomes me into the New Heaven and new earth, where the wolf lies down with the lamb and the lion eats straw like the ox and all the hills and trees clap their hands as we enter the Kingdm of God the creator, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.