JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Firstborn over All Creation

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17)

What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean?

Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does "firstborn" mean here?

What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus' pre-existence?

What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation?

According to verse 17, what is Jesus' past role in creation?

What is his present role in creation?

The word

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17)

What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean?

What is his present role in creation?

The word

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean?

"Firstborn" can suggest both birth order (as in 1:18b) and the special status accorded the firstborn son, as in our verse.5 "Firstborn over all creation" doesn't mean that Jesus is the first created being, but that he is preeminent over all created beings.

No, he is preeminent over all created beings.

He has always been

All things were created to serve Him.

He was before all things

By referring to Jesus as first born of all creation here does not mean he was the first to be created. The phrase tells of how important and significant (preeminence)He is in/ among creation. He existed before any being was created and He is not created but a creator by whom all things were made.

All other created beings were created by him for him, ie created to serve him. He is presently seated on the right side of God and worshiped by all heavenly beings. He will one day come and reign on earth.

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does “firstborn of all creation/every creature” mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does “firstborn” mean here? What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus’ pre-existence? What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? According to verse 17, what is Jesus’ past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

What does “firstborn of all creation/every creature” mean? It means He is preeminent (far more superior/outstanding) over all created beings.

Is Jesus a created being? No. If not, what does “firstborn” mean here? It means the sum total of everything created.

What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus’ pre-existence? All things were created by Him and for Him. If they were created by Jesus, he had to exist first to create them.

What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation? All things were created to worship Him.

According to verse 17, what is Jesus’ past role in creation? All things were created by Him and for Him.

What is his present role in creation? He is in complete control of all creation and He is the only way to the Father.

Q2A. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean? Is Jesus a created being? If not, what does "firstborn" mean here?

The biblical expression "firstborn of all creation does not mean Jesus was first created being but that Christ Jesus is superior over all creations and sum total of all things created.

Q2B. What do verses 16-17 teach about Jesus' pre-existence?

The verses in Colossians 1:16-17 teach us that Jesus existed before all creation,

Q2C. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does verse 16b teach about the purpose of creation?

The verses in Colossians 1:16b teach us all things were created by Him and for Him,

Q2D. (Colossians 1:15b-17) According to verse 17, what is Jesus' past role in creation? What is his present role in creation?

According to verse 17, Jesus' past role in creation is that He is the Creator of all things in Heaven and on Earth.

His present role in creation is that all things created are held together by Him and for Him.

Jesus is first--pre-eminent--above all created beings.

No, He isn't a created being--He is the creator/sustainer of all creation.

He made it possible to have followers--He opened the way--was the first of many to come.

He is the immage of the invisible God; all things were created by Him and for Him/all held together by Him; before all things

creator/sustainer

Q2. (Colossians 1:15b-17) What does "firstborn of all creation/every creature" mean? Jesus Christ is preminent over all created beings. First born reffering to Jesus means by him has all things been created by him and for him. Before him there was nothing, through him has everything came into being.

Is Jesus a created being? No

If not, what does "firstborn" mean here? He

"Firstborn" of all creation/every creature means the same as the Alpha and Omega. Jesus is the Beginning and the End.

Jesus is not a created being. He is the Creator of all things.

Everything was created by Jesus and for Jesus and is held together by Jesus

Jesus' present role: He is the same today as yesterday.

Jesus is my ALL in ALL, the Alpha and Omega...the beginning and ETERNAL in His being. It is Jesus who holds ALL creation together forever. Jesus is the Truth, the Word, the fullness of God who is Spirit; of man who is flesh physically, but without sin for Jesus was DEVINE.

The Trinity is a mystery to me, but I can visualize it by thinking of my own parts ....I am Body, Mind, Soul....a trinity of human flesh, but it is the likeness of God in me, my spirit, that is eternal. To me this is the part of me that Jesus was praying for to be ONE with our Father God, as HIS was with THE Father. Somehow I can understand a little of how God in heaven was being communicated with by Jesus, a devine human being, and how the HOLY SPIRIT was able to raise Jesus' body from the dead.

My thoughts are too small to understand the fullness of God, or His Words. I often wish I could speak with someone whose faith and knowledge coud enlarge my grasp of who Jesus is to me personally so I could become ONE in Him in Truth and Spirit.