JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Creator of Angelic and Demonic Realms

Thrones, powers, rulers, principlaities, authorities - were all created by Jesus and are subject to Him - He has power and authority over them. . . Philippians 2:9-11 (NKJV)

9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,

11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Knowing that they are subject to His authority - and knowing His love for us - they cannot go beyond His will or plan for humanity. . . 2 Peter 3:9 (NKJV)

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:4 (NKJV) who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

John 3:16-18 (NKJV)

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Colossians 1:16) "Thrones," "powers," "rulers," "principalities," "authorities," etc. probably refer to earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus? How should this affect our fear of them? How should it affect our prayers?

The first Adam was created in the image of God, he was given all authority over the earth, the dominion and the power he held was lost when he disobeyed the law of God.

The second Adam Christ, who is the exact image of God, came as man, keeping the law perfectly, taking back the dominion that the prince of this world held, therefore my faith is in Christ, he is able to save me to the uttermost, I am able to go to God

Q3. (Colossians 1:16) "Thrones," "powers," "rulers," "principalities," "authorities," etc. probably refer to both earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus?This passage ends with the words, "All things were created by him and for him" (1:16e). Jesus is not just one among various spiritual authorities. He is the Creator of them all and they exist to serve him. How should this affect our fear of them?The Bible is clear. Jesus, whom we serve, is their Master and Creator and is over them all. If Jesus is their Master, we should not fear them. How should it affect our prayers? Our prayer should glorify and give thanks to God.

'Powers' 'rulers' 'principalities' 'authorites' refer to both earthly as well as angelic/ demonic beings. These are all created by Jesus to serve him. They are therefore under his authority and he is also their head.

We that are Christians should remember that Christ is in us and we are in Him. This makes us secure and we should not therefore fear any of these powers. When we pray, we should remember that the Lord Jesus Christ has power and authority over these powers and has also given us such power to triumph in our spiritual battles.

Q3. (Colossians 1:16) “Thrones,” “powers,” “rulers,” “principalities,” “authorities,” etc. probably refer to both earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus? How should this affect our fear of them? How should it affect our prayers?

“Thrones,” “powers,” “rulers,” “principalities,” “authorities,” etc. probably refer to both earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus? “Thrones,” “powers,” “rulers,” “principalities,” “authorities,” are words associated with control, command and sovereignty, etc. Although angels and demons do have some form of power, they are still subject to Jesus who is ultimately Lord of all.

How should this affect our fear of them? It is very easy to say we should not fear them. However when we are going through warfare, especially for new believers, we tend to be very afraid. As we grow in our walk with God we learn to trust in Him and our faith increases and the fear dissipates.

How should it affect our prayers? We should pray all the time and not only during times when we have problems. We should also pray confidently and with faith, knowing that God hears and will answer our prayers in His time and according to His perfect will.

Hi, I don't understand the angel-thing.

I've read about Gabriel (Daniel + Luke 1), some seraphs (Isaiah 6), Michael (Revelations) and some anonymous angels - all with a specific assignment.

Now the devil and demons are the angels who committed mutiny.

They seem to be walking around the world all the time, looking for somebody to inspire with bad thoughts (Ef. 6:12; 1 Peter 5:8).

Does anybody know any verses in the Scriptures about angels inspiring us with good thoughts?

Or is this just the job of the Spirit?

I can't answer this question because I just don't understand.

Please feel free to contact me.

Marloes

RodR gave a good list of Scripture references I would also use to discuss angels. I believe they are ministers/servants of the Lord who often brought divine messages to people before the Holy Spirit was given to enlighten, inspire, and guide us from within directly from the heart of God. I do believe it is indicated by Jesus that holy angels watch over those who belong to God in a protective guardian way, but not to teach or lead us. (I am certain I've experienced this type of angelic ministry in my life.) I believe the angelic activities recorded in the book of Acts were for the unique apostolic era of the establishment of the Church. The last announcement angels made to the world was that Christ will one day return to earth in the same manner as when He left it. We've been given God's full message in His Word and revelation of its interpretation by His Spirit.

Fallen angels are demonic and work under the devil's authority to accomplish his general mission to steal, kill, and destroy God's work and His children. The only angels that seek our attention today are of satan. When people believe they are encountering "angels", it is not of the Lord. I think it is a delusion to distract people from the worship of God only and the supreme hope found in Christ alone.

Q3. (Colossians 1:16) "Thrones," "powers," "rulers," "principalities," "authorities," etc. probably refer to both earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus? How should this affect our fear of them? How should it affect our prayers?

Jesus made all things. Nothing occurs unless God allows it. We need not to fear anything but in all things fear the creator.

Jesus said He is the Word, the Truth and the Way.

In His Word, in Eph. 6, we are taught to put on the full armour of God to fight off the powers of darkness....which would include earthly and spiritual powers. Jesus has told us and provided us with Salvation, Truth, the Word, His Righteousness, and Faith and Peace of the Gospel ....ALL of which are GREATER than the powers of evil, to overcome the temptations and lies, and false teachings of the LIAR..Satan and all of his followers.

We are warned, and taught, and encouraged to STAND IN OUR FAITH, and not be afraid, for He is with us, and will strengthen us where we are weak. He has put His own Spirit in us whose power is mighty in its greatness over all of Satan's powers.

The relation of these powers to Jesus is that he created them all. He has control over all these things both in heaven and here in earth.

Our fear of Him is that we should always be praising Him and thanking Him for all things.

It should affect our prayers by thanking Him for all things. We know He answers prayers and that He answers them for our well being.

Q3A. (Colossians 1:16) "Thrones," "powers," "rulers," "principalities," "authorities," etc. probably refer to both earthly as well as angelic and demonic dominions. What does this passage teach about the relation of these powers to Jesus?

Jesus is ruler, creator and exercises His majestic power and unchallengeable authority over of all in heaven, on earth and demonic domains including the Evil one who roams the earth - Satan.

Q3B. (Colossians 1:16)How should this affect our fear of them?

As Jesus' appointed saints, He promised this in Luke 10:19 "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you."

All the power of Jesus is ours to use , thru prayer and petition , against the forces of demonic domains, fallen angels and even Satan.

Plus the promise given to all those who have been saved by the blood of Jesus found in

John 10: 28-30 "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

What greater assurance can we have than that ???

All these dominions were created by Jesus and they exist to serve Him.

Jesus' relationship to these powers is that they are subject to Him.

Knowing that these powers of darkness are under Christ's rule,should make us less fearful of them. Satan and his minions can only do what God allows them to do.

Our prayers should be confident and of strong faith since we know Christ is in control.