JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Instructions for Employers

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters -- or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

Colossians 3:25-4:1 - 25Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism. 41Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

Paul instructions are really simple. Employers should provide for their employees what is right and fair. This includes the working environment, pay & benefits and job equally. As I answered in the previous question, if employers live by this rule, productivity would increase and God would be smiling down on us.

Q4 Paul instructions to masters -- employers are that anyone who does wrong will be

repaid for his wrong and there are no favoritism. They are to provide the slaves-

employees with what is right and fair, because they must remember they have a Master

in heaven. We are all equal before God and the gospel has set us free.

If employers sought to live by this rule and treat the employees with dignity and

respect then the working place will be a healthier place. There will be team work

and the productivity will be great. There will be mutual and cordial understanding

for one another and the respect for the employers will be accorded.

Q4 Paul instructions to masters -- employers are that anyone who does wrong will be

repaid for his wrong and there are no favoritism. They are to provide the slaves-

employees with what is right and fair, because they must remember they have a Master

in heaven. We are all equal before God and the gospel has set us free.

If employers sought to live by this rule and treat the employees with dignity and

respect then the working place will be a healthier place. There will be team work

and the productivity will be great. There will be mutual and cordial understanding

for one another and the respect for the employers will be accorded.

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

What instructions does Paul give masters or employers, in our culture? Employers must treat their workers right by

1) paying them a fair salary which is equitable to the work they do

2) the salaries must be fair i.e people doing the same job should be paid within the same salary range

3) making them work a reasonable number of hours a week, and if they exceed these hours, they are compensated

4) providing other fringe benefits (health insurance, transport, etc)

5) giving them a reasonable amount of time for the meals

6) providing for them a safe and pleasant work environment

7) treating their employees with dignity and respect, irrespective of the job they do.

What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule? There will be a harmonious working relationship between employers and employees. Employees will be happy with their jobs, productivity will go up and resignations will decrease. Families will also be happier because men and women will not bring their work problems home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Answer:EQUALITY.-This is the message that Paul is trying to emphasize as a trait that a Master or employee should have.

Equality,irregardless of position,race,or cultures,to give each and every person equal playing field in promotions,incentives and demotion if necessary.

If this will be practiced in our workplace today,then productivity will rise,due to good harmonious working relationship with each other,no more fear of anything because you know that your Boss are lloking at all employee without impartiality.

It would motivate the workers,to work more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters – or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

Paul's advice is that we treat or are to be treated equally and with fairness according to our work. We are not to be taken advantage of, we are to be appreciated,treated respectfully and paid for our work in a way which allows us to live, have food and shelter. I have personal experience with this, my husband and I work in a trade in which employees are not taken care of.The Horse racing industry. Employees work in all kind of terrible condition, and very long hours anywhere from 55-85 hours a week.They are salaried and their salary comes out to be far below minimum wage. They have no benefits or retirement. Most of the industries employees is comprised of Hispanic immigrants. Either here on a work visa or permanent resident. Living condition for these people on the track are horrendous. My husband and I are fortunate to have our own apartment. I'm now out on permanent disability, but worked 22 year in tbhe horse racing industry. Many documented foreigners here on work visa are forced to live in tiny, brick rooms, with an outside public shower,and a tiny bathroom which is to accommodate as many 25 people and is very dirty and unsanitary, much like the condition many migrant workers are forced to work under.It amazes me in this country that nothing has ever been done to help these, God's people. Please pray for all employees who work in back stable areas, the underground of the horse racing industry.

If all listened to Paul's instructions such inequality in the work place would not exist.

• 2 months later...

4a)Paul asks us to be the light of Christ in our homes & work places, in that whatever we do, work at it with all our heart,mind as if working for the Lord. It is Christ we are serving not just an employer. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, there is no favouritism whether,employer or employee in God

• 1 year later...

Paul tells masters / employers to treat their employees fair and equitable; pay them their wages agreed upon market conditions, and do not mistreat or lay burdens on them that they cannot perform. If employers treated their employees as Paul states, there would be less complaints (lawsuits), stress, job-hopping, productivity would increase, employee motivation would be high, etc. Employers and employees have the same Master…Jesus and He will judge both if they do not do right by each other.

• 2 years later...

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters  or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule? 

​Now we look at the other side of the situation.  The employer. Paul is suggesting that a employer should look at the employees as if they were his intimate family. They should not be mistreated like some employers do :"  employers think of themselves in terms of buying a person's time, as if it were a commodity, with no strings attached. Don't give them enough hours, so that you have to pay benefits, is a way of life. But hours are not a commodity; they represent people -- people whom God loves and people who pray to him. When we employ people we also take on a responsibility to help provide for their needs."

Paul suggests that employees should be treated 'uustice and right". This is a Hebrew tradition." The Bible calls for just and right throughout the Old Testament. "Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.(Isaiah 56.1)