JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Thorny riches, worries, and pleasures

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

Well let’s see... worry makes me sick, riches I have none... cares... well I think I have a lot of cares, but they are not usually about me, unless when I am sick. Pleasures.. I do experience pleasures but I am very thankful for them. Like lavender tea for instance. I consider that a large part of my daily pleasure or looking at my wonderful husband who seems to age very gracefully. But again, I am thankful to God often for the man He has chosen for me to love and to be loved by.

Why do you think so? Cause worry only makes me sick. I have found it so much easier to truly take the word to heart and cast my burdens upon the Lord and He shall sustain me. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. As for me, I will call upon God.. and the Lord, shall save me. Evening and morning and at noon will I pray and cry aloud... He shall hear my voice. Yep it is easier to let Jesus do all the worry while I enjoy the fruits of His labor. I can just be still and know that He is God.

Living in my comfortable surroundings, it is easy for me to say that I don’t have cares because I live in a nice warm house and am able to take a nice warm bath each night after a nice warm meal. But if I didn’t have all of these warm comforts, then my care level might become elevated. I suspect that in the future ahead of us, we will all understand and know that we here in America, take our freedoms for granted, so I keep that in the back of my mind for now but in my heart, I know and see that slowly.. day by day we are loosing our freedoms and will one day come to depend on God more so than ever. I also know that He is gracious and it is because of Him that we have these lavish attentions in the first place.

But then, I am aware of His provisions and very thankful and He knows that I am. I hide nothing from Him since it is completely pointless to do so. As a matter of fact, I asked Him yesterday that if He wanted to give our son a buck deer this year, would He scarce one up for Him. All season it has looked pretty grim, but yesterday I even bought a deer bag and gave it to our son. I told him when I gave it to him that I believe that if you ask God for rain, then you should carry an umbrella, ergo my faith in action was the purchase of a deer bag. Our son just called on the walkie talkie that he got one. God is good and He is faithful to them who are faithful to Him. I take this word to a whole new level with my Father. I am full of faith... in Him. Thank You Father for the deer meat for our son's family this year. I thank you Father not because I wanted our son to get one, but because I asked You for one and You are faithful.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

Thorns like riches are dangerous for many believe that they are in charge of their lives not God.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

To me, pleasures is most dangerous because by counting everything to ourselves, to me, we declare ourselves as equal to God or as gods. Moses died in the wilderness because he did not do as ordered by God. He liked pleasures and counted as if he gave water to people. Riches, to me, take the second degree of comparison, as we move from the worst to bad. Riches are accompaned by deceit all of which are evil. Worries then take the first degree. Worries make us think as if God is not there. This shouldn't happen as God is always there for us and awaits our subission.

To me, when I see the degree of comparison of the adjective, worries are dangerous; riches more dangerous and pleasures, most dangerous.

worries and cares seems more dangerous to me. Being overwhelmed by situations and circumstances distract us and cause us to look to ourselves rather than looking to the Father and trusting Him.

My thoughts are similar, and a temptation for me to . I pray we both are victorious in this in Jesus

2a)For me all thorns are equally dangerous if we allow them to take first place in our lives. I can be distracted by worries/cares of daily life even though I trust the Lord for everything. Anxiety can build up & could choke my spiritual lie if I didn

Satan uses different "thorns" for different people. What is dangerous for one may not be as dangerous for another. Satan's goal is to make the Word unfruitful. He will use whatever "thorn" effects you the most to choke out the Word in your life.

I think worries/cares are the most dangerous....these are the ones that I think we sometimes put before God. These are the ones we sometimes think we have no control over or decide to handle on own. Unawaringly, we sometimes fall as prey to them. Seeking riches are pleaseures are more deliberate choices which we open-eyed get ourselves into, just by refusing to die to self. Worries/cares sometimes involve our concern for others more than ourselves, but the danger comes, when we make those things, situations, or people our idols or gods. How to please people is a snare to many believers! We become more concerned about pleasing peole and less concerned about pleasing God, a great danger, example: Aaron and the molten calf in the wilderness!

All of them could be equally dangerous but to me worry sticks out. When we worry, which we all do at times, in a way we are doubting Gods control over whatever we are worrying about.

All 3 thorns (riches, worries/cares, and pleasures) are equally dangerous, I believe this is so because the ultimate goal of the adversary is to distract us as much as possible from our relationship with God. If we don't meditate, study the word, and pray we can easily be taken away or get off course by any one of these thorns. From the 3 thorns, I personally would say my biggest struggle would be worries/cares of this world and allowing it or my cirucumstances to take precedence over the word of God. This has been and continues to be a real battle for me. Haven't had riches to know if that would really be a distraction or thorn for me (ha, ha, ha).

All the three thorns are dangerous, because they all choke our faith and trust in God and the Lord Jesus.

Sin is the wrong way and takes us on a rocky path full of weeds that choke the life out of the seed, and like that seed we need to listen and hear the Word of God and follow the right path we can only do this by (like the seed) spread our roots and grow strong in our faith and trust in the Lord Jesus and weed out the weeds (sin) in our lives and grow in the love and Grace of Jesus and God

I believe that the thorns of riches,worries/cares,and pleasures are all equally dangerous.

Any of these can "choke" a believers relationship to Christ,making it unfruitful and non-productive.

It would be riches. Jesus himself told in Lk 16:13 that one cannot serve both God and money. Even in a country like the Philippines where the mass of the populace are just within the subsistence level, money is a definite lure away from God.

I think whatever you struggle with the most is the most dangerous to you. For me, the most dangerous is "pleasures."-- hether it be staying in the warmth of my bed versus getting up early in the morning to pray or indulging in any form of sexual activity rather than the chastity and purity that God has called me to as a single woman.

God's Word speaks to us very strongly in many places about all of these dangers -- e.g. God's Word to the Israelites about their exploitation of the poor in Amos, God's exhortation to us to be faithful in Hebrews, and God's many words to us about self-sacrifice and death of the flesh in the many letters of Paul. I would say that Paul might say the pleasures of this world from his own struggle (I do not do what I want and I do the things I don't want to do). However, at the same time riches could be listed under the category of pleasure -- anything that causes us to indulge in ourselves and our own human/fleshly desires, rather than seek the rule and reign of God in our lives, which requires a great deal of sacrifice and yes, uncomfort. I have to remember this!

All of these thorns are dangerous in their own right. However,I believe that worries/cares are the underlying factors that drive people to obsessions with riches and/or pleasures. By not turning worries/cares over to the Lord, a person tells the Lord that He is incapable of meeting that person's needs. Thus that person does what he/she thinks will take care of the need(s) creating the worry/cares.

I think that worry/cares truly underlie most everything else in our lives. If not given to God, worry/cares will carry us off into an opposite direction from God and His purpose for our lives.

I believe that worry is the worst of thorns.. The longer I live the more I realize that worry is wasted time. It keeps us from living in the NOW!! Looking back, most of the things I worried about never happened!! God is in charge so I need to act like I believe it...

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

As Pastor Ralph has outlined the various thorns I think the most dangerous of all is "Pleasures." Jesus says that the pleasure principle will choke out His life in us and make our lives spiritually fruitless and barren. This is not a place we want to be. Our lives should be about bringing pleasure to God, doing His will; not seeking to do our own will as we seek the pleasures of the world.

Why do you think so?

Any thing that separates us from fellowship with God and causes to break His laws is most dangerous.

I THINK IT IS ALL OF THE THINGS MENTION. WE GET SO CAUGHT UP IN OUR DAILY LIVES THAT THE MATERIAL THINGS ARE PUT FIRST IN OUR LIVES AND CHRIST IS NOT A PART OF IT. THE BIBLE SAYS SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND ALL HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND ALL THE OTHERS WILL BE ADDED UNTO YOU. JESUS DOES NOT WANT US TO WORRY WHEN WE DO WE ARE NOT LETTING HIM DO HIS JOB. TRYING TO HAVE ALL THE PLEASURES OF THE WORLD AND THE RICHES WILL GET US NO PLACE IN HEAVEN.

I think that riches are the most dangerous thorn because the other thorns can all thrive on a base of riches. A temporary relief from worry can be bought with money, in that a person can take some type medication that will temporarily take him/her away from the care, or worry that he/she has. A person may enjoy shopping and this can be a temporary pleasure. God's Word has to take precedence over everything in our lives.

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on an individual's condition. If he is a celebrity / politician / some Very Important Person, then 'Riches' is most dangerous. RICHES come with fame, power, etc. which means no freedom & privacy for him. I always pity those famous celebrity. Take Michael Jackson as an eg. I don't think he had the freedom to worship freely in a church fellowship (if he's a follower of Christ), in a prayer or cell group meeting. Everywhere he went, people would be chasing after him for autograph, photograph, etc. RICHES choke this group of people the most. In our Chinese culture in Asia, some of us don't pursue RICHES. Family unity & peaceful life are more important. For PLEASURES, it depends on how you look at it. For me, having a cup of coffee with something that I like to read in my garden is a pleasure. Something that I find is very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My views, I'd say riches because it can VERY EASILY be a large corporation, more room for error. The focus in this christian life is faith, the thing that pleases God, with riches you are now beholding with the natural eye and have to make decisions about all you own. If we do not walk a thin line we can fall into the following:

1. Greed.

2. Importance.

3. Present Focus change.

4. Future Focus change.

5. My lifestyle/security will change.

6. Not dependant upon God for needs/most things.

7. I will worry about issues/investments.

8. Most definatly pleasure will play a role.

9. Pride.

Worries/Care and pleasure can seprate me from God, but riches more so because it covers a bigger scope. As a result of having riches we can still worry and have pleasure, but with worry and pleasures standing along our focus is more so on that thing.

• 2 weeks later...

All three thorns is equal in weight to being dangerous in my opinion, but I think pleasures is the most dangerous since it can be addictive. We should trust God with all our possessions, but when we abuse God's gift to us with riches, and if our worries/cares or pleasures interfere with our devotional life, we are double minded people that God is no longer our true love or it won't be true worship to God only anymore, then we are not putting God first in our lives, or having faith and trust in God to take care of our needs like worries/problems.

Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

Probably 'worries/cares'.

Why do you think so?

The rich can have something happen where they can know that their riches have no true power. And those that seek pleasures can come to know that pleasure is not always the way to be content and live with oneself. But, worries/cares are like habitual stinking thinking and many feel they MUST worry. I do not see 'worry' as the opposite of 'trust'. Instead, worry is the absence of trust. When we practice trusting Him, we will see that we no longer worry.