New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Angels and Annunciation Paintings and ArtCollected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
On Oct 21, 2010, the Postal Service issued an Angel with Lute stamp, designated a special stamp, not an official Christmas stamp. Detail of a fresco by Melozzo da Forli (1438-1494), Room IV, Vatican Pinacoteca, Rome.
This site contains several pages with links to paintings and artwork with a Christmas theme:
- General Christmas Paintings and Art
- James J. Tissot, Christmas: Birth and Childhood of Jesus paintings
- Paintings of the Annunciation and Angels (on this page)
- Madonna and Child Paintings and Christmas Postage Stamps
- Other Christian paintings and artwork links
Fra Angelico (Florentine painter, c. 1400-1455), "The Annunciation" (c. 1437), Fresco, Monastery of San Marco, Florence. Fresco, 230 x 321 cm. Larger image.
- The Annunciation, San Marco Museum, Florence
- Angel beating drum, The deposition Pala di Santa Trinita, San Marco Museum, Florence
Franz von Stuck (German Symbolist painter and sculptor, 1863-1928), The Guardian of Paradise (1889), Museum Villa Stuck, Munich
William-Adolphe Bouguereau (French artist, 1825-1905), did a series of famous paints with on cupid wearing wings, often confused with angels, including the widely reproduced "The First Kiss" (1873, Le Premier Baiser, two angels kissing), "Cupid" Cupidon) (1875), "Amour A Laffut" (). Actual religious paintings include: Song of the Angels" (1881), oil on canvas, 84x60", Museum at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, CA. Shows angels serenading the Mother and Child. Another.
Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones (British Pre-Raphaelite painter,1833-1898)
- The Annunciation. (1876 - 1879), Oil on canvas, 250 x 104.5 cm, Lady Lever Art Gallery, Merseyside, England. Annunciation. Another.
- The Annunciation, after a design Burne-Jones, stained glass window in the Epiphany Chapel (dated 1910), Winchester Cathedral.
- Angel Playing Flageolot (1878) Watercolour and bodycolour, 74.9 x 61.2 cm, The National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside, Liverpool, England
- The Angel (1881), Oil on panel; Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum. Another. Another.
- An Angel (1878), watercolour; 29.5 x 24 in, Sudley House, Liverpool, England
J.J. Tissot, "Soul of the Penitent Thief Being Taken to Paradise" (1897), watercolor. Larger image.
- Angels of Creation, stained glass window. Harris-Manchester College chapel, Oxford
- Three Trumpeting Angels (1869), stained glass, South Aisle window St. Edward the Confessor Church, Cheddleton, Staffordshire, UK.
- The Avenging Angel of St. Catherine (1878)
- Angel with a Violin, a detail of the stained glass East Window, erected in 1880-1 in St Martin's Church, Brampton, Cumbria.
- Angeli Laudantes (1894, red wings), tapestry, 93 x 72.8 in., Victoria & Albert Museum, London. Blue Wings. Study.
J.J. Tissot, Soul of the Penitent Thief Being Taken to Paradise (1897), watercolor.
Guarding the Garden of Eden
- Franz von Stuck (German Symbolist, 1863-1928), The Guardian of Paradise (1889), Museum Villa Stuck, Munich
- Benjamin West (American, 1738-1820), The Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise (1791), oil on canvas, 186.8 x 278.1. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. Dramatic angel urging them away with outstretched hands. Snake is leaving the Garden ahead of them.
- Pictures of Angels, ChristusRex.org
- Ron DiCianni, contemporary Christian artist with many paintings showing presence of angels in life.
- Angels on the Web, 19th Century angels.
- Illusions Gallery, Angels
Annunciation Paintings Show the Angel Gabriel
Rupert Charles Wolston Bunny (Australian painter, 1864-1947), The Annunciation (1893). Larger image.
- Rupert Charles Wolston Bunny (Australian painter, 1864-1947), The Annunciation (1893), in Time Magazine, Dec 13, 2004.
- J.J. Tissot, The Annunciation (1886-1896), Gouache, The Brooklyn Museum
- Camillo Procaccini (Italian artist, Italian, 1555-1629), Adoration of the Shepherds, in Time Magazine, Dec 13, 2004.
- Henry Ossawa Tanner (1859-1937)
The Annunciation (1898)
The Annunciation of the Shepherds (c. 1895), Oil on canvas, 13 x 16 inches
- El Greco
The Annunciation, Paint on board, 49 x 37 cm (19 1/4 x 14 5/8"); Museo del Prado, Madrid
The Annunciation. 1590s. Oil on canvas. Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection, Lugano-Castagnola, Switzerland.
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (Pre-Raphaelite English
Ecce Ancilla Domini (The Annunciation, 1849-50), Oil on canvas, 28 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches, Tate Gallery, London
The Annunciation (1855), Watercolour on paper, retouched in 1858, 35.6 x 24.1cm, Private collection. Angel with crossed golden wings.
- Raffaello Sanzio, The Annunciation
- Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519), The Annunciation
- Philippe de Champaigne, The Annunciation (ca.1644), oil on panel, 28 x 28.75 inches (71 x 73 cm.), Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- James Christensen, The Annunciation (contemporary artist)
- Catherine Andrews, The Annunciation (contemporary artist)
- Benjamin Gerritsz Cuyp (1612-1652 Dutch painter), Annunciation to the Shepherds, oil on panel 33 x 45 3/8 in.
- John Collier, Annunciation. Modern scene, Mary as schoolgirl, angel as priest. Contemporary artist.
- Filippo Lippi (Florentine painter, 1457-1504)
- Gentile da Fabriano, Annunciation (c. 1425), Rome, Vatican Museums.
- Robert Campin, The Merode Alterpiece (1425), center panel
- Tintoretto, Jacopo Robusti (1518-94), Annunciation another
- John Waterhouse, The Annunciation (1914)
- Gerard David, The Annunciation (1506, shows angel), Panel, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Bouguereau, The Annunciation
- Bruce Porter, Annunciation (stained glass window, 1894), St. Mary's-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, Pacific Grove, CA
- Federico Barocci, The Annunciation, 1592-96, canvas, Perugia, S.Maria degli Angeli, Coli-Pontani Chapel
- Annunciation from Ustyug, Novgorod School, 12th century.
Jan van Eyck (Netherlandish, c. 1390-1441), "The Annunciation" (c. 1434/1436), oil on canvas transferred from panel, 90.2x34.1, National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. Larger image.
- Henry Ossawa Tanner, The Annunciation (1898), Oil on canvas, 57 x 71 1/2 in. (144.78 x 181.61 cm), Philadelphia Museum of Art
- The Annunciation of the angel Gabriel to Mary (1635). Pen and Ink; 14.4x12.4cm; Besancon, Musee des Beaux-Arts (France)
- The Angel appears to the shepherds (c. 1640-42). Pen and brush drawing; 17.6 x 20 cm; Hamburg, Kunsthalle
- The Angel Appears to Joseph in a Dream (panel, 1645, Berlin, Gem Idegalerie der Staatlichen Museen)
Sandro Botticelli (Florentine painter, 1444-1510), The Annunciation (1489-90), tempera on wood 150x156cm, The Uffizi, Florence
- The Annunciation. Tiffany stained glass window, Arlington Street Church, Boston.
- Carl Heinrich Bloch, The Annunciation, oil on copper plate.
- Simon Vouet (French, 1590-1649), St. Jerome and the Angel (c. 1625), oil on canvas 144.8 x 179.8. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. White-winged angel holding trumpet.
- Pieter Pauwel Rubens, The Resurrection of Christ (1611-12), Oil on panel, 138 x 98 cm (centre panel), 136 x 40 cm (wings), O.-L. Vrouwekathedraal, Antwerp. Pair of angels.
- J.J. Tissot, Angel of the Lord on the Stone of the Sepulchre (1897), Oleograph. In Clipart.com.
- Thomas Cole, The Voyage of Life: Childhood (1842), oil on canvas 134.3 x 195.3. Series of paintings show white-clad guardian angel in various stages of life: childhood, youth, manhood, and old age.
- James J. Tissot, The Guardian Angel
Gideon and the Angel of the Lord
- Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld, Gideon and the Angel of the Lord (1851-60). Another.
- J.J. Tissot, The Angel Puts Fire on the Altar of Gideon (1896-1900), watercolor.
- Giotto, "Last Judgment" (detail with angels) (1303-1305), fresco, Scrovegni Chapel, Padua, Italy.
- Angels at the Church of the Incarnation, New York, NY
- Nuremberg Chronicle, Heavenly Chorus, colored woodcut print.Circle of angels, large image. 1716 x 1744 pixels.
- Victory over Death, by Frederick Wilson, lead designer, Tiffany Glass Company. Church of the Incarnation, NYC. Angels with trumpets hearlding victory over death and a flock of doves in flight. Another, photo by Lee Sandstead.
- June Vecchio, Angel (1990), oil on canvas, 16x12"
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Disciple's Guide to the Holy Spirit
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ