New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Madonna and Child, St. Mary
collected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Christmas Postage Stamps
Sandro Botticelli, "Virgin and Child with Angel" (c. 1475), Chicago Institute of Art, Christmas stamp 1981. Larger image.
Here are several pages of link to Christmas art, paintings, and stamps:
- General Christmas Paintings and Art
- James J. Tissot, Birth and Childhood of Christ paintings
- Paintings of the Annunciation and Angels
- Madonna and Child Paintings and Christmas Postage Stamps (on this page)
- Other Christian paintings and artwork links
Madonna and Child
Andrea Mantegna. Madonna with Sleeping Child. (c. 1465-70), Oil on canvas. 43x32 cm. Gemäldegalerie, Berlin, Germany.
Raphael, The Alba Modonna (1510), oil on panel transferred to canvas, diameter 94.5. National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. Round, beautiful Madonna with Jesus in her lap, and John the Baptist in animal skins looking up at him.
Jacopo Carucci "Pontormo" (1495-1556-57). Madona and child, Oil on canvas, 88x64 cm, Museo Nacional de San Carlos
Giovanni Ballini, Madonna and Child, 1485-1490
Bartolomé Esteban Murillo
- Madonna and Child, Die Gemäldegalerie Dresden. Foran dette bildet sitter Ibsens kunstnerinne hensunket i. Another.
- Madonna and Child. Oil on canvas. Palazzo Pitti, Galleria Palatina, Florence, Italy. Another.
- Madonna del Rosario (1650-1655), Museo del Prado. Another.
- Madonna in the Clouds (1656-1660). Oil on canvas. Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Madonna with Child, Cosini Gallery
Adolphe Jourdan (1825-89), Madonna and Child, Smith Art Gallery and Museum, Stirling, Scotland. Another.
Fra Angelico, The Madonna of Humility, Mellon collection, Washington, D. C
Sandro Botticelli (1446-1510)
- Virgin and Child with Angel (1465-67), tempera on panel 87x60cm, Galleria dello Spedale
- Madonna and Child (c. 1470), tempera on panel, 74.5 x 54.5 cm, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1983.
- Virgin and Child with Angel (Small Madonna) (1475-1485), Tempera on panel, Institute of Art, Chicago. Christmas stamp 1981.
- Virgin and Child with Two Angels and St John the Baptist (1465-70), tempera on panel 85x62cm, Galleria dell' Accademia
- The Virgin and Child with the Infant St. John (after 1500), Tempera on panel, Dresden, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen, Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister
- Virgin and Child with Saint John the Baptist, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Adolphe-William Bouguereau (French artist, 1825-1905), "Virgin and Child" (1888), oil on canvas, 176.5x103 cm, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide.
Adolphe-William Bouguereau (French Academic painter, 1825-1905)
- "Virgin and Child" (La Vierge Au Lys, 1888), oil on canvas, 176.5x103 cm, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide. Virgin seated holding naked Christ child with arms spread, both with golden halos.
- The Madonna of the Roses (1903)
- Song of the Angels" (La Vierge aux Anges, 1881), oil on canvas, 84x60", Museum at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, CA. Shows angels serenading the Mother and Child. Another.
- The Annunciation
- L'innocence (1893), of the Madonna cradling both the Christ-child and a lamb, signifying his role from birth as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.
- The Madonna of the Roses (1903)
- Madonna of the Lilies
- The Holy Family. Mary (spinning) with John the Baptist, and Jesus.
- Jesus and John the Baptist (with Mary on a throne)
- Song of the Angels (1881). Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, California. Angels serenading the Christ child and mother.
- The Virgin with Angels (1900)
Frantisek Tkadlik, The Virgin and Child with Distaff, (1822), Prague.
Henry Ossawa Tanner, Mary (1900), oil on canvas, LaSalle University Art Museum, Philadelphia. Mary looking at newborn son, concealed under a blanket.
Louis S. Glanzman (1922- ), Mary, the Mother of God and Mary in Women of the Bible series. Mixed medium on artboard.
Morgan Weistling (California illustrator and painter, 1964- ), "Kissing the Face of God" (1998). Mary holding the baby Jesus, kissing him on the cheek. Amazing image of mother-love.
The Black Madonna of Częstochowa or Our Lady of Częstochowa (Czarna Madonna or Matka Boska Częstochowska in Polish, Imago thaumaturga Beatae Virginis Mariae Immaculatae Conceptae, in Claro Monte in Latin, Ченстоховская икона Божией Матери in Church Slavonic), Poland's holiest relic, one of the country's national symbols. It is attributed to St. Luke, who is reputed to have painted it on a cypress table top from the house of the Holy Family.
USPS Traditional Christmas Stamps
Most of the traditional Christmas stamps since 1965 include a Madonna and Child painting found in a US museum, but most are by Old World masters.
2016-17. Nativity, designed by Greg Breeding, with original art by Nancy Stahl.
- 2020. Our Lady of Guapulo (18th century), unknown artist from Cuzco, Peru, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC.
- 2018. Bachiacca, "Madonna and Child" (early 1520s), Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC.
- 2016-17. Nativity, designed by Greg Breeding, with original art by Nancy Stahl.
- 2016. "Florentine Madonna and Child" (1470), tempera on panel, National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.
- 2014, Christmas Magi Stamp, designed by Greg Breeding.
- 2013. Jan Gossaert, "Virgin and Child" (1531), Cleveland Museum.
- 2011-12. Raphael, "Madonna of the Candelabra" (1513), tondo (circular painting), oil on panel, Walters Art Museum, Baltimore.
- 2010, Angel with Lute stamp, designated a special stamp, not an official Christmas stamp. The 2009 Christmas stamp will be used again in 2010.
- 2009-2010. Giovanni Battista Salvi (1609-1685), also known as Sassoferatto, "Madonna and Sleeping Child," Hearst Castle, California.
- 2008. Workshop of Sandro Botticelli,
- 2007. Bernardino Luini (1470-1530), "Madonna of the Carnation (1515), National Gallery of Art, Washington DC. Larger.
- 2006. Ignatio Chacón (Peruvian artist active 1745-1775), Madonna and Child with Bird (1765), Denver Art Museum. Traditional Christmas stamp 2006 for the US Postal Service.
- 2005. Bernardino Luini (c. 1480-1532) , The Madonna of the Carnation (c. 1515), National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 2005.
- 2004. Lorenzo Monaco (c. 1370-1425), "Madonna and Child" (), National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 2004.
- 2002, 2003. Jan Gossaert (c. 1478-1533/36), Madonna and Child (c. 1520), Art Institute of Chicago, Christmas stamp 2002.
- 2001. Lorenzo Costa (1460-1535), "Virgin and Child" (detail, c. 1490), Philadelphia Museum of Art. Christmas stamp 2001.
- 1999. Bartolomeo Vivarini (1432-1499), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1999.
- 1998. Florentine (15th century), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1998.
- 1997. Sano di Pietro (1406-1481), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1997.
- 1996. Paolo de Matteis (1662-1728), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1996.
- 1995. Giotto, Madonna and Child (), National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1995.
- 1994. Elisabeth Sirani (1638-1665), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1994.
- 1993. Giovanni Battista Cima (1459-1518), Madonna and Child. Christmas stamp 1993.
- 1991. Antoniazzo Romano (1461-1508), Madonna and Child, Houston Museum. Christmas stamp 1991.
Sandro Botticelli, Madonna and Child (c. 1470), National Gallery, 1988 Christmas stamp. Original painting.
- 1989. Carracci (1555-1619), Madonna and Child, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1989.
- 1988. Botticelli (1446-1510), Madonna and Child (c. 1470), tempera on panel, 74.5 x 54.5 cm, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1983.
- 1987. Giovanni Battista Moroni (ca. 1522-1578), Madonna and Child, National Gallery of Art, Christmas stamp 1987.
- 1986. Pietro Vanucci Perugino, Madonna and Child, National Gallery of Art, Christmas stamp 1986.
- 1985. Luca della Robbia (1400-1482), Genoa Madonna enameled terra cotta, Detroit Institute of Arts, Christmas stamp 1985.
- 1984. Fra Filippo Lippi (1406-1469), Madonna and Child (1440-1445) Tempera on panel, 79,7 x 51,1 cm, National Gallery of Art.
- 1983. Raphaël (1483-1520), Virgin and Child, Naitonal Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1983.
- 1982. Tiepolo (1696-1770), Madonna and Child, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1982.
- 1981. Sandro Botticelli (1446-1510), Virgin and Child with Angel (Small Madonna) (1475-1485), Tempera on panel, Institute of Art, Chicago. Christmas stamp 1981.
- 1980. Walter Tower, Epiphany window (c. 1900), Stained glass window in the National Cathedral, Washington, Christmas stamp 1980.
- 1979. Gerard David (1460-1523), Virgin and Child, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1979.
- 1978. Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525), Madonna and Child with Cherubim, National Gallery, Christmas stamp1978.
- 1977. J.C. Leyendecker, George Washington Praying at Valley Forge, Christmas stamp 1977, which originally appeared on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post, Feb 23, 1935. This was also the subject of the 1928 2 cent stamp, captioned "In God We Trust."
- 1976. John Singleton Copley (1738-1815), "Nativity" (1776).
Angel detail from Jan Van Eyck, "The Annunciation," 1968 Christmas stamp. Larger stamp image. Original.
- 1973. Raphaël (1483-1520), Small Cowper Madonna (1505), National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1973.
- 1972. Master of the St. Lucy Legend (unknown Flemish master), Detail of angel in "Mary, Queen of Heaven" (1480), National Gallery of Art. Angel. Christmas stamp 1972.
- 1971. Giorgione (1477-1510) Adoration of the Shepherds, National Gallery of Art.
- 1970. Lorenzo Lotto (1480-1556), The Nativity, National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1970. The 1969 stamp was a Curier and Ives scene.
- 1968. Jan Van Eyck (c. 1390-1441), Angel Gabriel (detail) from "The Annunciation," National Gallery of Art. Christmas stamp 1968.
The 1965 Christmas stamp had a more secular theme. In later years there was nearly always a clearly religious stamp, usually with the Madonna and Child.
Christmas Stamps from other Countries
Gibraltar 2007 features beautiful photographs of six porcelain nativity figures.
- 2006. Antoine-Sébastien Falardeau (1822-1889), Madonna and Child or Vierge à l'Enfant (1857)
- Collection of US Christmas stamps of Mary (University of Dayton)
- Collection of UK religious Christmas stamps at the Bible Stamp Club & Museum.
- Time Magazine Visions of Mary, March 21, 2005
- Madonna and Child paintings, catholic site.
- World's Great Madonnas
- You can also find Christmas stories and articles elsewhere on the site.
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
Copyright © 2023, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.