New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Easter and Holy Week Artworkcollected by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
- Easter, Good Friday, and Holy Week Artwork (below)
- Resurrection Artwork
- Palm Sunday Artwork
- Lord's Supper Artwork
- The Passion of Christ Illustrated by James J. Tissot
Andea Mantegna (Early Rennaisance Italian painter, 1431-1506), "The Lamentation over the Dead Christ" (c. 1490), Tempera on canvas, 68 x 81 cm Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan. Larger image.
Felix Avalos (sculptor)
- Large cedar outdoor crucifix (2001) on the grounds of Shepherds of Christ Ministries, Morrow Ohio.
- Warner E. Sallman (1892-1968), Christ in Gethsemane (1940-50)
- James C. Christensen (1942- ), Gethsemane (contemporary), with angel behind Jesus, kneeling in agony.
- Julius Schnoor von Carolsfeld, Jesus in Gethsemane, woodcut
- Aert de Gelder. Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Oil on wood. New York, collection of Richard L. Feigen
- Carl Bloch, In the Garden of Gethsemane, Det Nationalhistoriske Museum, Frederiksborg, Denmark. Another. Large.
- Harry Anderson, Jesus Praying in Gethsemane (contemporary)
- Heinrich Hofmann (German painter, 1824-1902), Christ in Gethsemane
- E. Goodman, Christ in Gethsemane (after Hofmann)
- Parisi, Jesus Praying (contemporary)
Gerard (Gerrit) van Honthorst (1590–1656), Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, Oil on canvas, The Hermitage. With angel looking on.
William Blake, The Agony in the Garden (c. 1799-1800). Tate Collection. Tempera on copper.
El Greco, Agony in the Garden (c. 1588), oil on canvas, Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH.
Hans Leonhard Schaufelein, Agony in the Garden (1516), Limewood. Alte Pinakothek, Munich.
Domenico Tiepolo (1727–1804), Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane: The Second Prayer (c. 1786-1790). Pen and wash, Private Indiana Collection on loan to the Indiana University Art Museum. Beautiful sepia sketch, captures the intensity of the occasion.
Trial and Mocking
- Edouard Manet. The Mocking of Christ (1865). 190.3 x 148.3 cm. Art Institute, Chicago
- Adolphe-William Bouguereau (French artist, 1825-1905)
- The Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ (1880), , Cathedral of de La Rocheelle. Another.
- A Soul Brought to Heaven
- Mattias Stom, "Christ before Caiaphas" (early 1630s), oil on canvas
Collection at Wikipedia of crucifixion paintings
Antony Van Dyck (Flemish painter, 1599-1641)
- Golgotha (1630), Oil on canvas, Private collection
- Christ on the Cross, Oil on canvas, Sint-Jacobskerk, Antwerp, Belgium. Especially moving and broken image of Jesus.
- Lamentation of Christ, Oil on canvas, 45 1/4 x 81 7/8 inches (115 x 208 cm), Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Antwerp, Belgium
- La lamentation du Christ, Huile sur toile, 152 x 244,5 cm, Musée royal des Beaux-Arts, Anvers.
- The Lamentation (1618-20), oil on canvas, Art History Museum, Vienna
Gerard (Gerrit) van Honthorst (1590–1656)
- The Incredulity of St. Thomas (1620). Óleo sobre lienzo. 125 x 99 cm. Museo del Prado. Madrid. España.
- Christ before the High Priest (c. 1617), Oil on canvas, 272 x 183 cm, National Gallery, London
- Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, Oil on canvas, The Hermitage. With angel looking on.
Carl Heinrich Bloch (Danish painter, 1834-1890). Most paintings in National Historic Museum, Friederiksborg Palace, Hillerød, Denmark.
- Christ Mocked by a Soldier
- Christ and Thorns without Soldier
- Christ and Thorns (eyes closed), Etching
- Christ and Staff, with crown of thorns.Etching.
- Christ in Emaus
- Doubting Thomas (1882), etching.
- Gethsemane (Castle Version), oil on copper plate
- Gethsemane (Altarpiece), oil on canvas
- Gethsemane (Study), oil on canvas
- Peter's Remorse (1882), etching
- The Crucifixion of Christ (1881), etching
- The Entombment (1880), etching
- The Entombment of Christ, oil on copper plate
- The Last Supper, oil on copper plate
Nikolaï Gay (1831-1894), Il Calvario detto anche Golgota; Crocifissione (c. 1892), Olio su tela, 278 x 223 cm, Museo d'Orsay.
Franz von Stuck (German painter and sculptor, Symbolist, 1863-1928)
Crucifixion Kreuzigung Christi (1913), Egg tempera on canvas, Museum der bildenden
Kunste, Leipzig, Germany.
Crucifixion (1892), Oil on canvas, Private collection
- Pieta (1891). Oil on canvas. Another. Striking painting.
Matthias Grünewald (German artist, 1480-1528)
- The Crucifixion (c. 1515), Oil on wood, 269 x 307 cm, Musée d'Unterlinden, Colmar
- Die Kreuzigung Christi (1523-1524), Tauberbischofsheimer Altar, 193 × 151 cm. Kunsthalle, Karlsruhe, Germany.
Francisco de Zurbarán (1598-1664), The Crucifixion (1627), oil on canvas, 290 x 168 cm, Art Institute Museum, Chicago.
Diego Velázquez, Crucifixion of Christ (1632). High resolution available.
Marc Chagall, White Crucifixion (1938), oil on canvas, Art Institute Museum, Chicago.
Kathryn A. Barnes, The Crucifixion (2011), contemporary Michigan artist, oils on canvas.
Crucifix above the doors of St. Peter's Church, Chicago (Franciscian). A giant crucifix by Latvian sculptor Arvid Strauss called "Christ of the Loop" fills the gothic arch in the center of the main facade. Another.
Thomas Blackshear II (contemporary African American painter and sculptor), Forgiven (1997). Striking picture of Jesus holding up a man, wracked with guilt, holding in his hands a mallet and nail, that nailed Christ to the cross. Forgiveness.
William Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905), "Compassion!" (1897), Man carrying cross hugging crucified, dead Jesus. Striking image.
James J. Tissot, detail of "The Pardoning of the Penitent Thief" (1896). Larger image.
James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). What Our Savior Saw from the Cross, from The Life of Christ, 1886-96. Gouache on paper, 9 13/16 x 9 1/16 in. (24.9 x 23 cm). Brooklyn Museum.
Hans Bauldung Grien (Austrian painter, 1484/85-1545)
- "Crucifixion" (1512, right), Linden panel, 152 x 104 cm, Staatliche Museen, Berlin.
- "Adam and Christ," a composite by the Ralph F. Wilson of two paintings by "Adam" (1520-23, left), Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest (Szepmuveseti Muzeum); and "Crucifixion" (1512, right).
Thief on the Cross
- J.J. Tissot, Soul of the Penitent Thief Being Taken to Paradise (1897), watercolor.
- J.J. Tissot,
Pentitant (Repentant) Thief, (1886-1896),
J.J. Tissot, Color illustrations from his Life of Christ book (1896).
- Albrecht Dürer, "The Good Thief" (study, c. 1503-1505), drawing, J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles.
- Albrecht Dürer, The Good Thief (1505), watercolor, Albertina Graphic Collection, Vienna.
- Robert Campin, Good Thief on the Cross (c. 1430), oil on panel, 134.2x92.5 cm, Frankfurt am Main, Stadelsches Kunstinstitut.
Entombment and Pieta
Giovanni Bellini (Venetian painter,1426-1516), Pietà, oil on panel, 106x84cm, Pinacoteca, Vatican. Larger image.
- Andea Mantegna (Early Rennaisance Italian painter, 1431-1506), The Lamentation over the Dead Christ (c. 1490), Tempera on canvas, 68 x 81 cm Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan. Another.
- Gregorio Fernández (Spanish sculptor, 1576-1636), Cristo Yacente, Church of San Miguel, Valladolid. VERY realistic sculpture of the dead Christ, reclining on a bed. Troubling and haunting.
- Raphael, "Entombment" (1507). Oil on panel. Museo Galleria Borghese, Rome, Italy.
- William Blake, The Angels hovering over the body of Christ in the Sepulchre (1805), Watercolor, Victoria & Albert Museum
- William Blake, Pietà (1795 ?), Londra, Tate Britain
- Sean Cheetham (contemporary painter), Pieta, oil on panel, 60x48"
- Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890), Pieta (after Delacroix, 1889), on canvas 73x60cm, Van Gogh Museum
- Michelangelo, Pietà, St. Peter's, Vatican
- Andrea Solario (Milanese active 1495-1524), Lamentation (c. 1505-07), oil on panel, 168.6 x 152. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. Interesting scene of Mary holding Jesus, supported by John the Baptist, etc.
- Giovanni Bellini, Pietà, oil on panel, 106x84cm, Pinacoteca, Vatican. Amazingly detailed painting of Jesus' dead body sitting up, probably with Joseph of Arimathea, Nicodemus, and Mary Magdalene. Very interesting interplay of hands, and a sense of deep grief.
- Maerten van Heemskerck, Triptych of the Entombment (1559-60), Oil on oak, 220 x 149 cm (centre), 219 x 66 cm (wings), Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts, Brussels
- Hans Holbein the Younger, The Body of the Dead Christ in the Tomb (1521), Oil on wood, 30,5 x 200 cm, Kunstmuseum, Öffentliche Kunstsammlung, Basle. Ghastly realistic picture of Christ's body lying on its back on the tomb slab, unclothed, with blackened hands.
- Pieter van Mol, Le Christ déposé de la croix (1631-1650), Musée du Louvre, Flandres. XVIIème siècle. 1,45 m x 2,04 m.
- Caravaggio, The Deposition, 1604; Pinacoteca Vaticana in Rome
- Henry Ossawa Tanner (1859-1937), The Two Disciples at the Tomb (c. 1905), oil on canvas, 129.5 x 105.7 cm, Art Institute of Chicago.
- Adolphe-William Bouguereau (French artist, 1825-1905), Pieta (1876).
Pavel Zhukovsky (1845-1912), Pietà (1876), Oil on canvas, 214 x 173 cm
- Vladimir Borovikovsky (1757-1825), Christ Entombed (1820s), Oil on cardboard, 30.5 x 47 cm
- Caravaggio, Supper at Emmaus (ca. 1601-2), Oil on canvas, 54 3/4 x 76 3/4 in., National Gallery, London. Another.
- Rembrandt. The Supper at Emmaus (1648), Oil on wood. Louvre, Paris, France
- Rembrandt. The Pilgrims at Emmaus. Oil on canvas. Louvre, Paris, France
- Abraham Bloemaert, The Emmaus Disciples (1622), Oil on wood, 145 x 215,5 cm, Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts, Brussels. Very realistic depiction with dramatic lighting.
Pascal-Adolphe-Jean Dagnan-Bouvert (French Naturalist painter,1852-1929), Christ and the Disciples at Emmaus, oil on canvas, Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh
Robert Zünd (Swiss painter, 1827-1909), "Way to Emmaus" ("Der Gang nach Emmaus," 1877), 119 x 158 cm, Kunstmuseum St. Gallen. Jesus walking in a wood with disciples.
Carl Heinrich Bloch, Christ in Emmaus
Georges de La Tour (French, 1593-1652)
- The Repentant Magdalen (c. 1640), oil on canvas, 113x92.7. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. Thoughtful Mary with her left hand on a skull which shields the candle that illuminates her face. Very beautiful. Another.
- The Penitent Magdalen (1640), Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC.
- The Passion and Resurrection of Christ in Art, Christian Theological Seminary
Christian Art and Paintings:
Abraham Art | Agnus Dei Art | Angel Art | Annunciation Art |
Celtic Stone Cross Art |
Christian Symbols and Art |
Christmas Art |
Easter Art |
Passion of Christ
by Tissot |
Hebrew-Jewish Art | Holy Week Art | Jacob | Jesus' Ministry Art | Jesus' Teaching Art |
Jesus Portraits and Art | John the Baptist
| John the Apostle
| Lamb of God Art | Last Supper Art | Madonna & Child Art |
Moses and the
Exodus | Names of God Art | OT Misc Art | Psalms Art | Palm Sunday Art | Paul Art and Paintings | Day of Pentecost Art | Peter Art and Paintings |
Prayer Art | Resurrection Art | Revelation Art |
Thanksgiving and Pilgrims Art |
Timothy Art and Paintings
Copyright of artwork. Much, but not all, of the artwork linked to on this site is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author (if it is was published outside of the U.S. and the author has been dead for over 70 years), or due to its date of publication (if it was first made public in the U.S. before 1923), at least in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.
Copyright © 2022, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 28 Advent Scriptures
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Early Church: Acts 1-12
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
My books are available in paperback and Kindle from Amazon.