JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Ability to Carry Out

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person’s “ability to carry out something”? What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"? What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

The factors that make up a person

What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"?

I believe willingness, desire, motivation, opportunity, environment and timing are factors.

What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion?

That's hard to say, I really can't say.

Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented?

In a Biblical perspective I'd like to use Gideon as an example, place young David there as well. You could pick a lot of characters from the Bible and the answer would be the same, they were available, by them being available God used them.

What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

I would say that the same factors as the wicked servant, not in exactness or in similitude, but by disobedient. By placing Self before God's will. It doesn't happen deliberately but it happens more frequently than I (we) would care to acknowledge. I could be I don't think the environment is right, the circumstance are right, or if it is to witness to someone I don't perceive that the person is the right person. Could be situational initial Moses syndrome after his 40 years in the desert, he felt that he was inadequate. What I must keep in mind is where God guides He provides.

Note:

I'd like to use an example out of context for myself and perhaps many Christians. David when he saw, sent and took Bathsheba he wasn't saying directly God I don't love you; God I hate your laws, your commandments, and precepts. All David saw was the present moment, all he saw was what he wanted to see. David placed David first, he was not thinking about God nor God's will at the time.

In essence we were to be honest sometimes we are likewise, the servant who was deemed wicked did not deliberately state after receiving the talent, according to the text, that he was going to be disobedient, slothful and bring forth accusations. What he did do, however was not adhere to the will of his master, he did not place his masters' will before his. For the text tells us that he knew the masters character. He knew to do good as well and chose not to, he therefore demonstrated whom he loved.

Q2 The factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something" are our

willingness, faithfulness, commitment, responsibility and accountability.

We are made out of nothing and everything is from God.

Those who succeed not necessarily be the most talented because this is not what

God sees it. If God wants to use us, He will supply us with all the necessary

talents. All we need to do is trust in Him.

As we are of the flesh we have lots of commitments. Work constrain, family,

availability and not using the gifts given to us for His greater glory.

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23)

What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"?

Discipline, hard work, time management, and in some cases raw talent, amongst other factors.

In certain tasks raw talent is most important. Here I think of musicians, but in other tasks what is required is to stay focused and to be disciplined until completion of the work at hand.

Here it boils down to hard work and dedication to the task

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"?

Since we're dealing with Scripture and the parable, I'll limit my answer to the Spiritual realm....it would be quite different for success in the natural world.

"I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me". "With God, all things are possible"....and a quote I love: "God and I are a majority". I believe the main factors are the desire to be obedient to God and the faith that He will accomplish the task through me, with perhaps a smidgen of "bent" in the direction of that which is to be carried out. (David was skilled with the sling shot, but that was not what killed Goliath.) Some of the things God has asked me to do have nothing to do with the gifts or talents He's given me, but rather on simple obedience and trust in His ability to complete the task.

I think very little, if any. God is the mountain mover. In writing, I show up, but God is the Author.

Those who succeed in the Kingdom of God, I believe, are those who trust in God and God alone. Works of the flesh (and raw talent) may "produce", but why go there when those things will be burnt up when our works are tested. A monument to "selfish ambition or raw talent" will bring no glory to God, though it may bring the doer accolades of praise.

What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

That is a great question! I was just asked to do something, and I've been praying about it, because it's something I lack confidence in doing.....silly me! I just received the answer! I'll do it, knowing that the outcome does not depend upon me! I just need to show up and God will show up, and I can leave the results in His Hands.

Along that same line, I took some months off from writing and was struggling to get started again....thoughts of "I can't do this!", "What I've written will interest no one!", etc. Then it dawned on me, that I've been obedient to God's call to write the book....the result will be what He intends for it, and that is to bring Him glory! I just need to show up and keep writing believing in His ability, since I have none. If it encourages only one person, it will have been worth the time and effort.

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"? What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

Matthew 25:15, 21, 23 - 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' 23 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"? I think that one must trust in God and use the gifts that He has entrusted in us. From there, one must have a willingness to follow what God has put in front of them.

What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? God has given us the ability and we must use it accordingly and therefore it is 100% from God.

Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? We do not know where this power comes from and we try to do it by ourselves. Once we realize this, we will success even though we may not think we have this talent. As I mentioned in the first question, I was neither a people person nor a chit-chat person, but when I retired I knew I had to do something different, and God placed me in a position where I had to do both. I am doing something totally different from accounting in an office, but God wanted me to do accounting as a profession.

What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do? I still want to do it my way and not His way. I am still learning that I must trust in God. I am doing better at it, but my human nature gets in the way.

What are factors that give us the ability to carry anything out? First, trust in God and obedience. We also have to be willing to give our lives to Him. When we are reborn, we start a journey with Him and we walk with Him in faith. We come to believe we can do anything through Christ Jesus. HE does it in us and through us!

What percentage is raw talent? Almost none, though I don't discount it. Some are really gifted with singing or public speaking for example and their impact is just blessed, but then again, I have been called to do things (And I literally turned around, looked behind me for the person God SURELY was speaking to) when asked to do things I thought were beyond me. It WAS me He was speaking to though and I had to step out in faith and just go with Him and His instruction. He told me once "Feed my sheep" and I thought "Not me Lord! (How like Peter!)I can't get up in front of people, I'm not learned, I don't have a "presence" and the thought of it just scares me!" But, when I received a phone call minutes later (after marveling that, that would be my instruction), from a woman at our church asking if I would lead a Bible study, I took a VERY shaky tiny little step of faith, said yes and teaching is one of my greatest joys today! Same with singing in the church. I was terrified in front of people....but He has given me healing. But I had to step out in faith and try it! I grew up with a LOT of insecurities and had some abuses in my life that profoundly crippled me, but He said "Get up and walk" and I did! In faith!

Those least likely to succeed do sometimes just because they love God and really want to serve Him and they trust Him to help them. He does! Every time!

What keeps me from carrying out what God has entrusted me with? I'd say doubt....but I am learning more and more to say "Lord help me with my unbelief!" He is faithful who has called me!

After posting my reply, I read Jan Mary's comments and what you have said Jan Mary is right on the point. The only thing God needs from us is our obedience. He knows us and will not force us into something He knows we are incapable of doing. In fact, in some cases, we may think that we are incapable, but God gives us what we need to succeed in what He has given us to do. All we need is to be prepared to take that step of obedient faith. So, in fact, as far as the Kingdom is concerned, raw talent is not relevant. All that is relevant is putting myself in a position where God can use me, and being prepared to obey when He calls. Thanks for the insight Jan Mary,

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person's "ability to carry out something"? I like the answers that you have posed pastor Ralph.

1. Raw talent 2. Drive 3. Faithfulness 4. Moral character 5. Willingness to focus time to the task

What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? 0, zip, natta. :D

Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? Because of the gifted areas that they have been positioned in for the time being. Yahwey uses every single human being. We all have a purpose.

What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do? Not really sure. I haven

Q2. (Matthew 25:15, 21, 23) What are the factors that make up a person’s “ability to carry out something”? What percentage of this is raw talent, in your opinion? Why are some who succeed not necessarily the most talented? What factors are keeping you from carrying out what God has entrusted you to do?

Motivation, determination, desire as well as ability are the factors it takes to carry out a project. Raw talent is just a small factor, yes, you need to know how, but determination and desire are the biggest factors. Sometimes your physical abilities can keep you from carrying out, what God has entrusted you to do. So then, you need to enlist helpers and it will be carried out. :P

According to the lesson we have just covered, the factors that make up a persons ability are: raw talent, drive, faithfulness, moral charcter, willingness to focus on task and time etc.

I think raw talent is less than 15%. What will make one sucessful will depend his drive, faithfulness, willingness to focus on task and time and and a strong moral character to succeed