JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Restoring a Fallen Brother or Sister

• 1 month later...

Hi

My name is solange komproe i born on a small island of curacao.

But sinds 2009 i live in the netherlands europe.

Iam so happy that i had find this site so i can now more.Because i am hungry for his word .

And as i hear and read i know i will recieve more wisdom and understanding of his word.

SHALOM

Solange Komproe

Amen, Solange!

It is great to be able to study with people from all over the world.

My answer to this question in Galatians:Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, “caught in a sin”?

When our sin is evident.

What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life?

Restoration should include repentance, and also understanding we are in a spiritual war. Restoration should include Truth, love and acceptance from those who restore us. We are not restored if our brothers say only, "Well, we are all human' and pretend sin doesn't matter. Restoration should include a hatred for sin but an intense love for God and for each other.

Who should restore this person?

Someone that knows that they are only human but with God's power inside. We should come alongside of each other in our journeys to help each other take the next step.

In what spirit should it be done?

in meekness

What is the result of trying to restore a person without humility?

Falling into sin

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, “caught in a sin”?

“Caught in a sin” means to find someone in a condition of sinning. They may or may not be in an habitual state.

What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life?

The process of restoration is done with much patience. Such a brother or sister would show signs of repentence and humility, being grateful for the grace of God.

It is the responsibility of the church to restore this person, and by the church I mean a Christian brother or sister who is living a life being led by the Spirit.

Restoration should be don in a spirit of "gentleness," "meekness," "love" and "compassion."

The result of trying to restore a person without humility could be deceiving oneself, forgetting or choosing to dismiss their own fault, elevating themself to be one without a fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, “caught in a sin”? What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life? Who should restore this person? In what spirit should it be done? What is the result of trying to restore a person without humility?

It is a Christian who has fallen or been overtaken (remember our adversary who is like a roaring lion) (we are allvulnerable) by some sort of sin.

The Christian would be restored to a position where his walk would be honoring to our Lord.

Someone who is walking in the Spirit should restore the person with great fear lest he fall also.

With humility, gentleness and love.

Oh dear! Can you just see the restorer all puffed out like a turkey during that "season".

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Welcome Solange!

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, "caught in a sin"? Responding in the flesh instead of the Spirit.

What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life? Repentence and getting back on track.

Who should restore this person? We who are Spiritual.

In what spirit should it be done? Humility.

What is the result of trying to restore a person without humility? Subjected to sin, especially the sin of pride.

What does Paul mean, "caught in a sin"?

Overtaken in a fault, give in to temptation which leads sin.

Do not really understand what is being asked here, "look like".

However I believe if the person whom sinned receives the person being led by the Holy Spirit, they will see that are loved and cared for. That God has not forsakened them nor has people He has entrusted with His Spirit. A person who has been restored as they walk in freedom they can pictured healthy, healed, and free. As they live, move and have their being in Christ they can be seen as a powerful witness. Through their lives they can witness to others with compassion, gentleness, humility, courtesy, consideration, meekness and love. They can be seen as imitating Christ Jesus!

Someone who is not walking according to their flesh, someone that is not carnal minded. Someone that is Spiritual, not spiritual, not someone with Pharisee or Sadducee like righteousness, mentality, spirit and application to wisdom. Those who should restore this person are those who are living and walking in the Spirit, led by the Spirit and conforming their lives to the Spirit's influence.

"restore such an one in the spirit of meekness", kindness, gentleness, forgiving, loving, compassion and humility.

The potential restoree may move farther away from walking in the Spirit, instead of seeing restorative ministry they feel judgment, condemnation, guilt etc...

The potential restorer maybe become caught in sin. The sin may not be the same sin that entrapped, that overtook the other person. It could be pride, self righteousness or the commencement of gossip, etc....

Dear pastor Dr.Ralph.F. Wilson..........and all sisters & brothers who are writing in this forum......Would you please pray for me, because,I am now in procses of recovering of my sickness...in last month I have done second operation in the hospital.. the first one was in May,2011,I was diagnosised a Cancer in my Colon, but I believe that My LORD & SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, He is My HEALER also.I stand firm upon his promises in The HOLY BIBLE(And by his stripes we are healed...Isaiah 53:5)(by whose stripes(wounds) you were healed.....1 peter 2: 24)God bless you all.your brother in christ.

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, "caught in a sin"?

The sin Paul was speaking about are those who are caught violating God's laws in thought, word, or deed, revealing what is in their heart.

Most likely Paul was referring back to those whose works are not of the spirit, but of the flesh, revealing their heart was to do them, this is not walking in the spirit, and is not acceptable to God. (Gal 5:19)

We must remember a SLIP is not what Paul is talking about, Paul is talking about those who continue to walk in disobedience to God's laws, and continue to practice SIN and call it God's grace.

The "TRUE" believer will be known by their FRUITS.

FRUIT of the Spirit can be seen in those who "SLIP" and FALL, as they listen to the Spirit convicting them, and by listening to their FRIENDS who in MEEKNESS teach them, bring them back to following God's holy laws, the laws that Christ wrote on their hearts to do them, and "REPENTANCE" is the "FRUIT" that will be seen, as they turn their back on "SIN".

What would restoration of a brother or sister look like in his or her life?

I believe restoration would look something like James 25 tells us, But those who look into the perfect law, the LAW OF LIBERTY, and persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act—they will be blessed in their doing."

THE PERFECT LAW OF LIBERTY James is talking about is doing the law of God, doing his will, this is what our standard of conduct is to be, it is called the perfect law because God's law is free from all defects, just as a law ought to be

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

The LAW OF LIBERTY is to be seen in the believer, displaying they are no longer SERVANTS who PRACTICE sinful passions and lusts.

It is restored through the Holy Spirit and through those who are walking in the Spirit, for their hearts are burdened for those who continue to walk against God's holy Laws, they want them to be restored back to right standing with God Almighty, and follow after the Spirit's leading.

It should be done in the spirit of MEEKNESS.

Meekness does not mean WEAKNESS, Moses was considered to be the MEEKEST man of his time, and he did not hesitate to do what God said he was to do, have three thousand of the idolaters executed.

Jesus set a clear example of this pattern of reaction too. He made a whip of rope and with stern and vehement energy, overturned the tables and drove the livestock, their sellers and moneychangers from the Temple compound because they had turned God's house into a common bazaar by their sacrilege.

It is important we hear what Jesus spoke to us - "We are not to turn God's temple, (we are the temple of the Spirit) into that of sacrilege".

MEEKNESS is a virtue God has determined those who will have dominion in His Family must possess, a MEEK man who sets his mind on God's purpose and not his own comfort or reputation, the spirits leading is that the heart resist evil, and in so doing true joy will increase in those who are MEEK, and the poor among men will rejoice in the HOLY ONE of ISRAEL, God Almighty. (Isa 29:19)

It is very important that we be burdened for, and in MEEKNESS confront those who are slipping away, going back to serving SIN.

A humble person is one who is not all puffed up in himself, I see it in a different light from "MEEKNESS"; humility takes a lot of practice, for we in the flesh are quick to judge others, there is a battle going on between SELF and who God is calling us to be.

This is why restoration is done in MEEKNESS, by the power of the Spirit, and not that of humility, for mans humility may be that of "SELF PRIDE" - for we must always remember, we are fighting the powers that be, and I ALSO COULD GO THAT WAY - THAT IS without the Spirit's leading.

I think it means someone has fallen or become ensnared in a habitual sin which has become known to others.

I've seen this done in our church when a deacon, a recovering alcoholic, slipped, got drunk after a long period of sobriety, and totaled his car in an accident. He was asked to step down for a time of restoration. The pastor and elders came along side him and worked with him. The congregation was told a brief account of what happened (some knew and this prevented gossip and assumptions) and were asked to love him, to give he and his family privacy from questions, as he worked through the restoration process. He's a wonderful man who has been restored, is loved and accepted by all, and serves with joy!

My hope would be that it is the person who has been led by the Holy spirit, so that it's done in love and gentleness, rather than in legalistic judgment or haughty condemnation. Someone who has maturity and who knows that he/she is also a sinner saved by grace and vulnerable to falling as well so that it's done "brother to brother" or "sister to sister", rather than "judge to sinner".

It should be done in humility, love and gentleness...as the Holy Spirit leads, which will bring comfort and dignity to the one being restored.

It may cause the "restorer" to fall into the sin of pride and arrogance. It certainly leaves the "sinner" in worse condition than before the process began.

Someone found to be in an unexpected action of falling into a certain temptation.

Restoration is a process. If the person desires restoration, the church has a plan to restore the person to fellowship.

Spirit-led believers should be the ones to help with the restoration.

It should be done in a spirit of humility--we could easily fall too.

It is a disaster. No restoration would take place without damaging someone and the person with pride has fallen into a worse sin.

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, “caught in a sin”? What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life? Who should restore this person? In what spirit should it be done? What is the result of trying to restore a person without humility?

Paul discusses what you have to do when you see somebody commits a sin.

If you don't help him, he's lost forever, but if you help him, he gets restored, and that's much better.

You can help him by praying and talking, so he can ask God for forgiveness, and repent.

It should be done in a nice spirit, because an agressive or arrogant way doesn't work!

If you try to help someone who thinks he's perfect, at least you tried...

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5)

By saying "caught in a sin", Paul means to commit sin acidentally; not being a normal thing in life.

The restoration of such a brother or sister will bring him or her back in line and start again to walk with the Spirit.

This person should be restored by those who walk and line in the Spirit; the true believers.

It should be done in the spirit of meekness/gentleness.

The result of trying to restore a person without humility is to hurt more that person and ourselves we will be tempted.

Welcome Solange. And we pray for you Manuel; may the Almighty Lord pour His healing power upon you. AMEN.

Christians are tempted and if they yield to the temptation they have sin. Sin can come upon (catch) us. So Paul means where we sin unexpectedly other can help to restore us.

Restoration will not involved praying with the person and leading them gently back.

The spirit-filled should do the restortion.

In the spirit of humility.

Restoration without humility leads to self righteousness in the restorer. When the person to be restored sees the pride in the restorter they find it more difficult to sense the forgiveness of God and the way back becomes more humiliating and difficult.

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5)

When Paul writes ‘caught in a sin’, he depicts a believer running from a sin but not getting away and being trapped by the sin. As believers we are all still sinners saved by grace and none of us are completely free from sin, as sinful desires still exist in us. The way we react to someone caught in a sin is an excellent test of whether we are walking in step with the Spirit. The restoration of such a believer would be to get them back on the right track, and to encourage repentance as well as accountability, yet, at the same time providing assistance if needed. Only mature believers who walk by the Spirit and who are able to do this gently and lovingly in the spirit of meekness should attempt this restoration. It must also be done with care knowing that they are not immune from falling into sin. If done in a heavy-handed or domineering way without humility this restoration process can completely fail and have just the opposite effect. If we loved one another more we would bear one another’s burdens, and if we bore one another’s burdens we would not shrink from seeking to restore a brother who has fallen into sin.

Being caught in sin by a believer is backsliding. We all sin and we all overcome sin, but sometimes the temptation to sin sneaks up on us and we fall momentarily in that trap.

Restoration for a brother or sister caught in sin again, would be for them to turn from that particular sin in their lives and repenting of it. It would mean receiving God's grace and forgiveness and the forgiveness of the community of Saints. It would be going forward renewed again into a life of Godly living.

Who restores this person? Ultimately the Holy Spirit restores, but we can be a vessel used by God to help restore them.

The restoration process should be done with kindness, gentleness and humility on our part, knowing we get caught in sin ourselves. It should not be done in arrogance, cruelty or self righteousness or by anyone who does not have an understanding of the situation or the truth of the circumstances. I see the "sin hunters" in churches who think their job is pointing out sins in others, mostly in ignorance of the circumstances a person may be in. Their main objective is to "get rid" of the person in sin. Not to RESTORE them and help them out of compassion and wanting a better way for them....God's way! If it isn't about restoration....then I question the motives!

The result of trying to restore without humility is engaging in sin ourselves! Arrogance is sin. Judging is sin. Considering ourselves better than others is sin. Turning our backs on a person who is on God's heart is a sin. Having a mean spirit is sin. Slandering is sin. Pride is sin. All these attributes come out when we refuse to be humble in our own lives and the realities of our own sins and what God requires of US towards others.

Micah 6:8 He has shown you O man, what is good. And what does He require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

What does Paul mean, “caught in a sin”? "Caught" in sin means the sin is reveled or discovered, caught suggest a person is running away from sin, or trapped by it. Sin in not a normal Christian state of mind or heart, it is not normal behavior to the Spirit - led Christian. Normal Christian behavior is being led by the Spirit not by the devil. Even if we do slip up at times. God forgives, but we must always seek to walk in righteousness through His Spirit.

That person must acknowledge his sin, take full responsibility for it, 'own it", repent, focus on the will of God, seeking righteousness through the direction and fruit of The Holy Spirit..

It is our responsibility as Christians to carry our brothers and sisters. If one slips, or needs help in any way, we are to gently, and without condemnation or judgement give love,understanding and direction to this person.

Simply put unless we continually, on a daily basis examine our own heart, our own faults and character and recognize our own frailties and vulnerability to sin, we cannot be effective disciples.

Matthew 7:3-5

3 Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

A person can recognize sin in the any stage of commiting it or someone can find another comitting such a sin. Restoration is to return to the Christ-like faith, repentance, and to continue being around stronger Christians who can help him/her with the thoughts before the sin and gently reminding them the rightway while encouraging them with the right things they are doing. If one does not become humble then restoration is impossible.

Q1. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, "caught in a sin"? What would restoration of a such brother or sister look like in his or her life? Who should restore this person? In what spirit should it be done? What is the result of trying to restore a person without humility?

To be "caught in sin" according to Paul means somebody has been found to have sinned.

The restoration of the brother/ sister is aimed at helping him/ her in carrying a burden.

The more matured members of the congrgation should be responsible for restoring the brethren who has sinnd. This should be done in the spirit of love.

If the restoration is not done in love, more damages may be done. Instead of bringing the fallen brethren back to the repented state, he/she may get deeper in sin.

. (Galatians 6:1-5) What does Paul mean, "caught in a sin"?

That the sin trips the believer up by surprise, and is overtaken by the sin.

Acknowledgement of the sin – confession, repentance, restitution to the ones to whom the sin harmed and reunification with the body of Christ –as sin alienates the believer from those who are filled with the Spirit.

Who should restore this person? Someone who is filled with the loving kindness of Jesus, who exhibits the fruit of the Spirit.

“In a spirit of gentleness.”

Further alienation from God’s people for the fallen brother. Also the risk of falling into the sin of pride and therefore alienation, for the “restorer”, from Jesus, the God of all grace.

I think that Paul means, “caught in a sin” is that the person is sinning and not repenting of that sin. The restoration of such a brother or sister would look like in his or her life would be to repent and return to God.

The person that should do the restoring is a person who has the Spirit of God in him. But it should be done gently. If we try to restore that person without humility then that person might become bitter and never be restored.

1.a. Caught in sin means, if you are not walking in the Spirit and into the Word of God, it sneaks up on you in a way that you do not recognize it and before you know it you are caught.

b. & c, You know you are wrong and need to be restored, you seek the counsel of someone who is filled with the Spirit of God, you turn from your sin and ask God's forgiveness. If we confess our sin, He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousnes. We have a mediator between God and man, Christ Jesus.

d. The restoration should be done gently and in love.

e. The result of trying to restore a person without humility is that they should not think they are better than the person they are trying to restore because they could fall into sin just as easily.

What Paul means by "caught in a sin" is when a Christian allows a sin to overtake him and he becomes trapped by it.

What restoration of such a brother or sister would look like in his or her life is to confess the sin to God,ask forgiveness,then turn away from it.

Who could restore this person is anyone who is living and walking in the Spirit,conforming their lives to the Spirit's influence.

This should be done in the spirit of gentleness and humility.

The result of trying to restore a person without humility is the risk of alienating the one needing to be restored.