JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming? What is the problem of having no assurance of salvation? What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

• 1 month later...

I would first go over the salvation message again, to make sure they understood. Then I would tell them that this Jesus they have put their trust in is worthy of being praised and has the power to help them live a holy life. That the Holy Spirit is growing us to become more like Jesus and will complete His work in us before we go to see Jesus! Phil 1:9

The problem with no assurance, might be that they are not saved yet!

The problem of a false assurance of salvation, is deceit. The Spirit will not be at work in them, will not have a desire to pray or read the Bible regularly, no growth. Now if this person is in a congregation, it could cause trouble. His/Her heart is not linked to the others'. Motives will be questionable. No fruit!!

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming? What is the problem of having no assurance of salvation? What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

I would first pray for wisdom from God who is the author of scripture for the right words. Then I would explain to them what scripture says and show them the scriptures as I talk. So it is important to know scripture and you know by reading it. Also the person needs to know that our enemy is going to be relentless in his attacks on our assurance and they need to read scripture over and over again. Never stop. There may be doubts that will appear and we need to go back to scripture to assure us of God's words to us.

The problem of having no assurance of salvation? How sad. God desires us to have assurance and the joy that comes from it. He doesn't want us to live in fear but to joy in His love for us always. And what kind of a witness are we if we have not assurance of salvation. What is the difference from other religions. They offer pretty things to make us feel good but no assurance of salvation (because it is only possible through the blood of Christ and they deny that). We need to understand that God does offer us complete assurance of our eternal security with Him.

A false assurance? Am I reading this right? How can a true Christian have a false assurance? I would assume that the person is not a true Christian if his assurance of salvation is false. And how would I know it is false which can't be to me if he is a true Christian. Either you are studied in the scriptures and know that your salvation is secure or you don't understand that your salvation is secure through the work of the Lord on the cross and the Holy Spirit who lives in us. Then you need to read scripture and pray the Holy Spirit will enlighten God's Word so we understand.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

I would say that if the blood of bulls and goats could preserve an Old Testament saint for a year from one Day of Atonement to the next, how much more does the blood of our sinless Lamb of God and Savior Jesus, preserve our lives forever! When we receive Jesus as our Lord and savior we enter into covenant with Him, and while some covenants were dependent upon the faith of both parties, salvation is a GIFT, which cannot be rescinded by my waywardness, backsliding, etc. because He has wholly consecrated, preserved completely and found him/her/me blameless..He is both the Author and Finisher of our faith, meaning He brings it to maturity and perfection. Heb.11:2 amp.

What is the problem of having no assurance of salvation?

A life of fear, dread, insecurity, no joy, inability to relax and trust, never entering into His REST! It results in a life of living under the Old Testament law, endlessly striving to earn, to be good enough, to do enough with no assurance of relationship or avoidance of eternity in hell. (that is an unnecessary life of hell on earth..to have missed a life joy, peace and REST in His completed, finished work)

What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

That is a problem of deception...a life lived in well meaning delusion, not covered and forgiven in the blood of the Lamb. I know of a man who in his 60's had grown up in church and had served his entire life in the church, from janitor, teacher, deacon, to elder....knew the lingo, thought he was a Christian, but last year when he heard the clear presentation of the Gospel, realized he did not have salvation, and accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. His wife was stunned to find out she'd married an unbeliever 40 years ago! But praise God, they are both rejoicing today!!!

I will tell the true christian who is not sure of his salvation that Christ has saved him and he is positionally saved and should not doubt this. He should however make sure he does not engage in willful sin but to trust God who will give him the power to overcome any temptation that may come his way.

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God's power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

I am not sure how a TRUE Christian could not have assurance of their salvation, unless they truly have not given over to God their LIFE, and instead of walking in the Spirit, they continue to allow the flesh to rule, and in that case there is no HEDGE of protection, no assurance of salvation.

True assurance of salvation begins at the Cross and continues as we live our life centered on and guided by God, striving for that of holiness, knowing full well that God has made a way for us, and in our faithfulness to God’s Son, we have the assurance that God will be faithful to us and will do it.

The problem with having no assurance of salvation presents the bigger problem of stepping out of “FAITH” and replacing it with “RELIGION,” therefore a door is open for Satan and doubt to come in, that is, if they don’t live up to religious expectations.

A false assurance of salvation is a simple foundation of those who believe God sent His Son as a free gift to those who will "ONLY" believe, and that their faith of salvation allows them to walk a primrose path to heaven.

By EMPHASIZING God's work and DE-EMPHASIZING man’s in the salvation process, encourages a false assurance of salvation.

When Christ calls a man, He bids him, come and die to self, this is done by placing the will of God above one’s own FEELINGS, DESIRES, and URGES. (Luke 14:26-27) If any man comes to me, and hate (love less) his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, CANNOT be my disciple.

We who believe have “ASSURANCE” because God's love has been written on our hearts, and our love for Him as we are preparing and are looking for his appearing.

Trust our Lord JESUS CHRIST who has started to work in him/her and will carry on until the day of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. He is able to keep us from falling and present us before His Glorious Presence without fault and with great joy.

One who does not have assurance of salvation...must give their life completely to our Lord JESUS CHRIST.

Having false assurance of salvation is one thinking all he/she have to do is join the church.

If I met a true Christian who has no assurance of salvation I would certainly pray and ask the Holy spirit to lead me tell the person all about the plan of salvation of God by sending his son Jesus to die for us that we might not perish but have eternal life. I will point out the price Jesus paid by dying on the corss for our sins so that we are saved and have eternal life.

The problem of having no assuarance of salvation is you need to know the truth that Jesus has died for us . When you are not assured then we will do all unworthy things to work out our salvation while redemption is already found in Jesus.

Having false assuarance of salvation means you are not aware of what and in whom Salvation is found. Once you know Jesus you know he is the way,the truth and Life and no other means to slavation. You end up trusting in wrong things when you have a false assuarance of salvation..

Upon our true acknowledgment of Jesus Christ as God's Messiah to mankind and making him our personal lord and savior God will kept us blameless until the second coming of Jesus Christ. In other words, once I repent of my sins and invite Jesus into my life I'm his and I am set apart for divine purpose. My relationship with Jesus makes me a child of God forever.

No assurance of salvation results in a broken relationship with God. All relationships are based on trust, certainty, and true awareness of the relationship. As Paul wrote to the Romans: "So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, 'Abba, Father.' For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children." Romans 8:15-16 (TNLT).

A false assurance of salvation blinds a person as to what salvation actually entails and leads to death and destruction.

I would hope they would only have some temporary doubts about assurance of salvation! If I saw this, I would first remind them that Satan was attacking them and to put on the full armor of God. I would remind them of the pure Gospel message and reassure them of the salvation they received when they accepted Christ as their Savior. I would also point out the warnings we have been given to REMAIN in Faith and to guard their hearts against the LIE Satan was trying to get them to believe!!! I would certainly PRAY for them and the spiritual battle raging around them. If their doubts were connected with feelings of guilt from sin still in their lives, I would assure them that HE who called them is FAITHFUL and He will bring them to completion in Christ Jesus, reminding them we are ALL sanctified but BEING sanctified at the same time! Then I would perhaps help them come to confession and repentance so they are restored!

If they had NO assurance of salvation, I would think in terms of them being lost and needing to hear the Gospel and hope that they could have a true conversion.

No assurance of salvation to me, means they have not truly understood or accepted the work of the cross.

False assurance is deception. To me, this says one "says" they believe in God and believe they will go to Heaven, but really haven't found a "need" for a Savior. For whatever reason, or false belief system, they really haven't given themselves over as a sinner in need of salvation. They "say" they are saved because they relate to "church" or "good works" or "not being too bad of a person," but they have not embraced true repentance and the true message of the cross.

(1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming.

First, I would assure him of his salvation through Romans 10:9-10 If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth you profess your faith and are saved. Then a verse like Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus; to assure him that God's work in him is ongoing and will continue until he is safely home. That it is all accomplished in God's strength, God's strength is manifested in our weakness. To believe in God's word.

No peace; how can you bear wittness to others about salvation if you aren't convinced yourself. You would probably develop a works theology; thinking if I do enough or if I'm good enough, that God would accept me into His heaven.

Primarily, you are not saved and under the blood of Jesus Christ. You could do many good works in Christ's name, and look like a man of God, but at Judgement Day you would hear, depart from me evil doer, I never knew you. False sense of security.

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God's power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

I would ask that person if they have experienced a notable increase in certain character traits. Specifically, the fruit of the Spirit, any one or more of – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. If this is the case then it is confirmation that the Holy Spirit is at work in that person’s life. I would also ask that person if they love Christ and want to bey His commands (John 14:15). If the answer is yes, then this would be further confirmation that Christ is in that person. This can be confirmed further, “But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 1 John 2:5”. Finally, I would let that person ask themselves if they fully trust Christ to forgive them their sins and they are fully dependent on His merits, and not on anything they may have done. And if now, today, they, truly believe Jesus’ words, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16)”. Then, they can have absolute assurance of their salvation. Without this assurance of salvation there is always doubt and one cannot experience the joy of an intimate relationship with our Lord and Saviour. There can never be peace in our hearts. We need to be 100% confident of our salvation. There can be nothing more tragic than having a false assurance of salvation. This mistake can easily occur especially if we put our trust in our own deeds for salvation.

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God's power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

If I meet a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, I will explain to him or her that, God has power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at His coming; what is needed from them is to have faith and believe without reservations as their salvation was actually guaranteed by the death of Jesus at the cross.

The problem of having no assurance of salvation is that a person does not believe in the saving power of God and as such he or she will not be saved.

The problem of having a false assurance of salvation is that a person might not be saved as he or she puts his or her faith on a wrong person or source of salvation.

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

I think it's important to assure them that John:3.16 applies to them. If they have no assurance of salvation it's because the devil has deceived them. All the Scriptures Pastor Ralph quoted in this lesson and many more could be used to show the person that God hs accepted them and that as long as they continue to believe in Him and in the atoning death of Jesus Christ and strive toward personal spiritual growth, they ARE saved. Such a person needs counselling to help them along in surrendering self to Christ. Personal sanctification is a slow process in most people.

Without assurance of salvation you're in danger of giving up. You think to yourself, what's the point if there's no guarantee I'll be saved?

In Australia was have a saying . . . She'll be right mate. That kind of thinking, the belief that in the end everything will be OK and that God won't really send a sinner to hell because He's a god of love, has deluded many into believing they can "accept Christ" and then continue to live a completely secular life and not change their ways because "once saved, always saved". Jesus told us plain as day that every tree that doesn't produce fruit will be burnt up. The apostle Paul often admonishes us to continue to work out our salvation. Works won't save us, but not living the Christian life and bringing the name of Jesus into disrepute won't save us either. There is a glilmmer of hope for the completely carnal Christian in a passage that I can't find for the life of me right now, but it says that such a person may be saved even though their works are all burnt up and they will be saved as if escaping through a fire. But that's only one passage and it's vastly outweighed by all the other scriptures that call for us to live holy lives.

It's a case of having the best hope vs hoping for the best.

we require God's divine wisdom to speak to the once who have no assurance of their salvation. when we seek the Holy Spirit's guidance and depend on Him totally to guide us , the Holy Spirit will teach us from the word of God and then we can highlight the same to the once who have no assurance of God's salvation and then pray for them and encourage from the word of God to lead lives that are pleasing to God which will give the assurance of God's salvation.

when a person is not able to trust and commit completely to Jesus Christ that person has no assurance of salvation and lives a life without hope and a purpose here on earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God's power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

If I met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, I would explain to them of the security we have in Christ that no one can take our salvation from us. God will guard, keep, and protect them with His power, not ours. (John 10) We are unable to fight against the evil one, but God is all powerful. He is able.

John 10:27-30 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.”

I Thessalonians 5:24 - “Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.”

The problem of having no assurance of salvation means that we will live a life of hopelessness, and will have no faith in God’s ability or power.

We have to have faith and believe in God and His Word to give us the assurance that He can deliver us from any trials or circumstances that we are going through.

When we cling to God, His Word, His promises, and His ability and power we will be assurance of God’s capability to take care of us and see us through.

Titus 2:11-14 - “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.”

I John 5:7-15 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. 10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 11 And this is the record that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”

A person who have a false assurance of salvation is lacking faith in God. They do not fully believe that God keeps His Word. This can come from lack of Bible Study, praying without believing or not having a prayer life, not regularly attending church, and can also be caused by lack of fellowship with other believers.

They will have to be under the Word in a Bible believing church, so that, they will not be tossed to and fro with uncertainty of God’s power in their lives.

2 Timothy 2:15 – “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

Hebrews 12:1-3 – “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.”

Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Assurance is the known fact that you are repentant and forgiven and Jesus has risen to forgive you and take your sins on him. With this assurance you are going to Heaven to be with him. A true Christian has this assurance of salvation if it isn't a known fact in every Christian then they aren't a true Christian.

I would think a "true" christian would have matured through study, being present to hear the "Word" broken, to come together as a body of Christ. This maturity comes by commitment to build and have a strong relationship with the Master. Christ's death on the Cross brought salvation and redemption. We could not work for it or purchase it. It comes only through His grace and mercy. Anyone claiming to be a "true" christian as you have posited would need to hear the above, and also understand that Christ should be seen in them.,

The problem of having no assurance or a false sense of assurance is created by a misunderstanding that through Christ we have a right to the tree of life. Once one has accepted Christ as their Savior, acknowledge that He died for their sins and the sins of the world, and repented. Romans 8:1: "there is no condemnation now for those who live in union with Christ.....what the law could not do, because human nature was weak, God did. He condemed sin in human nature by sending His own Son, who came with a nature like sinful human nature, to do away with sin.... but if Christ lives in you, the Spirit is life for you because you have been put right with God, even though your bodies are going to die because of sin.....those who are led by God's Spirit are God's children."

We are righteous and holy via the power of the Cross.

• 1 month later...

If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

I am not sure what a true Christian means as obviously a true Christian would have had the assurance of salvation. But if it is in reference to a Christian who has not understood salvation then I would explain to him that salvation is a gift from God and will never be taken away. The moment we  repent of our sins and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, we are granted salvation through God's grace. With salvation also comes the gift of the Holy Spirit which will help us to lead a holy life and present blameless before Christ. God's power works through the Holy Spirit. We need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in us or to empower us.

Having no assurance of salvation means that we have no hope to be part of God's Kingdom, as we who have the assurance of salvation are the sons of God. No assurance of salvation also means that we cannot overcome sin and will be unable  to lead a holy life. Thus we will face condemnation on Judgment Day

False assurance is believing in "once a Christian always a Christian". They believe that salvation alone is enough to save us and the life we lead after that is inconsequential. This would be living in deception.

Salvation is given to us by the grace of God and is an encounter with God, marking the beginning of our Christian walk. We have to continue to work our Christian life to remain holy until we are presented blameless before the Lord.

The only way that I know to assure a person of their salvations would be to reference the bible. There are plenty of places that we are assured of our salvation. There are also places that tell us that Christ has taken our sins and we can be made Holy before God because of him.

I think that one of the problems of having no assurance of salvation is that we must not believe in the whole Bible because it is in there that we are saved if we believe in Jesus Christ.

If we have a false assurance of salvation then we may not try to be reconciled to Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, a true Christian should know their assurance of salvation through Jesus Christ because it is all through the New Testament of the bible. But if they have never heard it taught then I would sit down with them an show them where the scriptures teaches us about this assurance of salvation through Christ Jesus. A false assurance of salvation is no assurance at all!

Such a Christian must first believe that God is all powerful.  In believing that He is all-powerful then, there is nothing that He cannot do.  The problem of having no assurance of salvation is not believing in the efficacy of the blood of Jesus Christ.  The value  is of Christ work for our salvation is everlasting.  It is the believers, just believe.  The problem of having a false assurance of salvation is eternal death.  As a believer, we must believe that eternal life is in Christ alone.

• 1 month later...

I would explain that God knows the sincerety of their hearts and He will finish what He started with them as stated in scripture. He also made them blameless through the death of Jesus on the cross. Only God can sanctify us and make us holy. This is not something that we can do for ourselves. His gifts are eternal, His love is forever!! If a person has a false assurance of salvation like, "once saved, always saved" may just wake up in eternal damnation. We are held to a standard and His grace is sufficient to get us through if we do not ignore it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I would remind her that we are saved by faith, that we are justified by faith and as such we are clothed in righteousness by the grace of God through the power of the grace of God. I would then address the problem of life after we become a Christian who is clothed with righteousness as we come before God. Yet we still continue to sin! when we are justified then begins the process of sanctification. The Holy spirit begins her work! Gradually the spirit works through us=it begins with a small seed but the power of the spirit  gradually works through our whole being, making us more conscience of her presence and works on our spirit so that we in a gradually become more joyous in the love and power of our Lord. It is a slow process- it takes a life time but it happens. Glory be to God!

If you have no real assurance of the power of salvation in your life then that little doubt, this little bit of unsurety    in ones spiritual live acts as a blockage in the process of sanctification.

I am not sure of what a a false assurance of salvation might entail. Is it not an oxymoron?