JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Holiness and Righteousness

• 2 months later...

Q1. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?

As His disciples Jesus says we are to live lives that are holy and righteous.  This we cannot do on our own strength but on the strength of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

In the parable of the sheep and the goats notice the goats called Jesus Lord but did not feed the poor and clothe the naked.  As His sheep we are to do the things He did and to follow His example in life and take care of others, help others, feed others.  The goats lived for themselves. They didn't really know Him.  They knew of Him.  Sometimes I am afraid I see too much of the goat in me.  We may not have much time left to do these things and it really made me think.

I keep thinking of Pastor Ralph's question do I love Jesus.  I hesitated before I answered as I thought yes I do however I wondered how much because I look with trepidation on what  is coming or what might be coming and then I realized that God will give me the strength  and the willingness to face whatever it is at the time.  I have today to live for Him with what He has given me.

Yes Jesus I do love you!  I am not sure of what is in me, however I do know the One Who lives in me and He is able.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1 What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples?

​Jesus alone is holy and righteous,.sinless and spotless, perfect. When I said "yes" to Him there was a great exchange: I received His holiness and righteousness in exchange for all of my sin, brokenness, bondage, and unrighteousness. I have been redeemed, set free (a process, I discovered over time), and am no longer living under the law but am under grace...Praise God! I am now called to "walk in the Spirit and not after the dictates of my flesh." Rom 8:1 It's a daily choice I make ( we have the freedom to choose), but because of my love for Him and gratitude for all He has done for me and does every day, my flesh continues to be crucified by an act of my will, so that He may reign as Lord of my life and that I might be faithful to make Him known in my world.

"I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing." Gal:2:20

In the parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?

The sheep and goats were one group until the Shepherd separated them, the sheep on His right and the goats on His left.  The sheep were blessed of His Father, favored and appointed to eternal salvation for they had been His hands and feet in caring for the hungry, thirsty, naked, imprisoned, as though their brethren were Jesus Himself.

The Shepherd separated the goats from the sheep, and banished them from Him, were cursed and thrown into eternal fire prepared for the devil and his fallen angels, for failing to serve and meet basic needs of those they considered the least of mankind. 

​The difference was in their standing with the Lord: The Sheep were in right standing with Jesus, while the goats rejected the shepherd and did their works according to their flesh and fallen nature.

Q1. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples?

My Answer: Jesus is righteous in judicial terms; it is he who justifies us, that is, declares us righteous. He thus calls us to be righteous in our dealings -- honesty, truthfulness, fairness, etc. We must also treat the poor, the homeless, and immigrants with righteousness, because we serve a righteous Lord.

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?

My Answer: The sheep will be on the Shepherd's right, separated from the goats on the left. The sheep belong to the Shepherd.

Q1.

Q. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples?

A. To be righteous and holy too.

Q. In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?

A. The sheep represented the saints, the righteous ones of God who will be at the right side of God in heaven while the goats represented the unrighteous ones who would be cast out from God's presence into hell.

Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demands that we must follow him. We must do what he wants us to do. In the parable of the Sheep and Goats, the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats is that the sheep follow their leader and the goats are independent and don’t follow anybody.

What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46)     

Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand that us to be righteous in our dealings -- honesty, truthfulness, fairness, etc. We must also treat the poor, the homeless, and immigrants with righteousness, because we serve a righteous Lord. 

The primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats is that the sheep were obedient followers and the goats were independent and followed no one.

Q1. What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46)

Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand that our lives, as his disciples, be lived in a state of holiness.  Again and again in the scriptures we are told how to live and it points to living in holiness.  In  1 Peter 1:16 "For the Scriptures say, "You must be holy because I am holy."   In Leviticus 11:44-45 "For I am the LORD your God. You must consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. So do not defile yourselves with any of these small animals that scurry along the ground. For I, the LORD, am the one who brought you up from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. Therefore, you must be holy because I am holy."  In Leviticus 20:7-8 e are told to be apart from the world, "So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the LORD your God. Keep all my decrees by putting them into practice, for I am the LORD who makes you holy."

In our conduct, in our words, and in our thoughts, God calls us to live like his people, not like the people of the world who are led by Satan and his influence.  Since we are His disciples we are to turn away frm wickedness and live righteous.

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats is that of God separating those who are his from those who are not His.  Essentially He will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  The sheep representing the disciples who lived a holy and a righteous life, who lived in obedience to His word.

We are set apart to Him and He wants us to act as though we are part of His family--because we are!

The sheep are set apart to God and display God's righteousness.  The goats do not qualify, so they are hell-bound.

Q1. What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples?

It demands of us to be holy and righteous too. Thank the Father that He helps us to do that as we as sinners are not able to that out of our own strenght.

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46)       

The sheep looked after others and the goats were not interested   

Q1. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of

our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the 

Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. 

the goats?

1. "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to 

be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." 

(Hebrews 12:14)  

1. Jesus' righteousness and holiness -- that he was without

blemish or defect -- and (2) Jesus' sacrificial death for our

sins, "the righteous for the unrighteous" to bring us to God 

(1 Peter 3:18).

Q1. 

What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as His disciples? 

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?

Jesus was perfect in holiness before He came to earth, and because of His close relationship with God the Father, He managed to resist sin throughout His entire life here on earth.

He is the only sinless person who ever lived. 

As believers we will never achieve complete holiness in this life; for there will always be a struggle between temptation and our sinful nature.

Jesus is our source of holiness and righteousness, and if we are to become holy and righteous, we must recognize Him as the source.

To do this we must know Him, love Him, obey Him, and walk in fellowship with Him – only then will we become more and more like Him.

His holiness and righteousness should increasingly replace our natural character of **** and evil desires; resulting in a spiritual transformation. 

The parable of the Sheep and the Goats uses the sheep as symbolic of believers, and the goats as symbolic of unbelievers.

Q1. What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46)

Jesus holiness and righteousness demands that as his disciples we live a holy life.

In the parable of the sheep and goats the primary characteristic of these two is that the sheep have been redeemed by the Lord and have eternal life with him. The goats are wild, the unbelievers who will be separated from God and condemned forever. 

Q1. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats?    

From the moment we are born-again, we are 'righteous' in GOD's sight, not righteousness of our making, but clothed in the righteousness of Christ, the only One Whose righteousness is not as "filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6)

Attempting to stand before our most Holy GOD in our own righteousness would be a fatal mistake. For as it says in Romans 3, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD." We can't be justified in His sight by our own good deeds, but we can be "justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

I love that word "justified" as it means that I have been "declared" righteousness by the Work of His grace, not because I earned it or deserved it.

I once heard an old preacher say of being "justified" that by the blood of Christ, the penalty for my sins, past, present and future was paid and I can stand before GOD "just as if I never sinned"....

And as He is residing in us and us in Him, His grace begins to develop the spiritual fruit that He wants to see in us. This fruit is not something we can produce on our own. John 15:1-8

In Galatians 5 we can read what the spiritual fruit we are to produce are, we can also read the list of those things that are the "works of the flesh" and the Apostle Paul said clearly these things are "evident", they are apparent, easily seen in those who continue to walk NOT in the Spirit.

Then in Ephesians 5, the apostle tells us to "be imitators of GOD" and in doing so, we are not to be partakers in those things that are unbecoming, and not fitting for the saints of GOD (hagios - those who have been prepared for GOD).

This means that while we can't produce His fruit of righteousness by our own effort, we can, as we are strengthened by His Spirit, set aside those things that are an abomination to GOD, those things which inevitably bring GOD's wrath.(vs 6Hebrews 12:1

I suspect that Paul had seen an abundance of the "works of the flesh" in himself while he was yet just "Saul" before his encounter with Jesus on the Damascus road.

Many of those things mentioned in Galatians 5 were a part of Saul: the hatred, contentions, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, murder....and all the while he believed that he was a righteous man of GOD.

I have found in witnessing for Christ, the hardest individual to talk to about the redemption found only in Christ, is the one who believes himself to be "righteous." That person has spent their lifetime creating in and of themselves an image of "being a good person."

In the illusion that he is acceptable to GOD in his self produced "righteousness" this person will resist the gospel because it is not like what he thinks of himself,  having seared his own conscience (1 Timothy 4:2)

As Christ speaks of the sheep and the goats, it's interesting to see how He uses a parables (parabole') beginning in Matthew 13, then on through the rest of the gospels it is recorded that Jesus used them frequently. ("a parable is a fictitious story told to illustrate a heavenly truth!") 

The same Q that we should ask today, was asked by the disciples, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?" (vs 10

The importance of His answer was obvious. He said , "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given."

Speaking in parables allowed those whose hearts were open to Him to understand the truth, but to those whose hearts were cold, the truth was hidden.

Mark 4 tells us that "without a parable He did not speak to them" (the multitudes and His disciples) but afterwards He explained "all things" to His disciples. (vs 34)

Keeping in mind that the story of the sheep and the goats is a 'parable', it's important that a few verses not be taken out of context so we can understand what Christ was talking about as He spoke of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:32-33

We must consider that Matthew 24 and Matthew 25 are all one teaching as Jesus is sitting with His disciples on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24:3), and what is known as the 'Olivet Discourse' follows, a teaching about the 'end times' that would come in regards to Israel, not the church (parallel passages in Mark 13; Luke 21 and additional reading Daniel 9; Revelation 6)

His disciples ask Him three questions:

When will these things be?;
What will be the sign of Your coming?;

What will be the sign of the end of the age?

While the answer to their first Q isn't recorded in Matthew 24 (it is in Luke 21:20-24), the answers to the second two are. And His answers were straightforward, that there would be mounting deceptions, wars, famines, pestilences, and earthquakes but these things were only the beginning of "sorrows."

He explained the difference between the "Great Tribulation" and all the trials and tribulations that they (we too) must endure before the "end of the age." (vs 15 - 28)

He explained how, immediately after the "Great Tribulation" all the people of the earth will see the sun and the moon darkened, see stars fall from heaven, they will see a sign of the Son of Man appear in heaven and all the people will "mourn" (kopto - to beat one's breast in anguish) when they see Christ Jesus, "the Son of Man (Daniel 7:13 - 14) coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Matthew 24:29-30)

If they have survived, those whose rejection of Christ kept them from being taken (the Rapture) from the earth with the rest of the believers before the "Great Tribulation" will now face the One they rejected!

Then as we read into Matthew 25, we read two parables: one of the wise and the foolish virgins and one of the man giving money to his servants.

Both are illustrations of those who were not ready for His return, the coming of the Son of Man, Christ's Second Coming (not the Rapture) which will immediately follow the Great Tribulation.

In the Scripture that precedes the parable of the sheep and the goats, He begins again, talking of the coming of the Son of Man Who will sit on the throne of His glory and will judge the nations, gathering them up before Him (vs 32) "and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left."

The period of time Jesus is referring to is at the end of the Great Tribulation, as He Himself has returned as He said He would, to "judge the living and the dead" (2 Timothy 4; 1 Peter 4) which is an event that does not happen until after the Great Tribulation.

In the parable, we are looking at those who have believed on the LORD Jesus Christ as opposed to those who have not.

But considering the complete content of Matthew 24 and Matthew 25 in regards to the Great Tribulation and the coming of the Son of Man, Christ's Second Coming, the mention of sheep and goats is a comparison between those who somehow managed to accept Christ during the tribulation and those who continue in their rejection of Him to the end.

The final outcome for the goats, for those who have rejected Jesus Christ as Messiah, Savior and LORD is sure and is the same today as it will always be.... "And these will go away into everlasting punishment"

Jesus was perfect in holiness before He came to earth, and because of His close relationship with God the Father, He  resisted  sin throughout His entire life here on earth.

He is the only sinless person who ever and is still  living. 

As believers we will never achieve complete holiness in this life; for there will always be a struggle between temptation and our sinful nature.

Jesus is our source of holiness and righteousness, and if we are to become holy and righteous, we must recognize Him as the source.
To do this we must know Him, love Him, obey Him, and walk in fellowship with Him – only then will we become more and more like Him.
His holiness and righteousness should increasingly replace our natural character of **** and evil desires; resulting in a spiritual transformation. 

The parable of the Sheep and the Goats uses the sheep as symbolic of believers, and the goats as symbolic of unbelievers

• 2 weeks later...

The parable of the sheep and goats stresses the importance of serving others in need. No parable by itself completely describes our preparation .God will separate his obedient followers from pretenders and unbelievers. The real evidence of our belief is the way we act. To treat all persons we encounter as if they were Jesus is no easy task. What we do for others demonstrates what we really think about Jesus’ words to us: Feed the hungry, give the homeless a place to stay, look after the sick. How well do your actions separate you from pretenders and unbelievers?

Jesus used sheep and goats to picture the division between believers and unbelievers. Sheep and goats often grazed together but were separated when it came time to shear the sheep. Ezekiel 34:17-24 also refers to the separation of sheep and goats.This signifies how God will judge us.

What Jesus' holiness and righteousness demands of our lives as His disciples is, that we be obedient to His commands and live holy lives.

The primary characteristic of the sheep vs the goats was, the goats proclaimed Jesus as Lord but, their was no spiritual fruit in their life. The sheep showed their were true believers by reaching out and helping those in need.

• 2 years later...

It demands us to set ourselves apart from the world and continually sanctify ourselves. For He is holy and he expects it from us. He longs for us to keep his commands as well. We need to be willing to do the work of the Lord when God asks to do it no matter what the cost. He also would want us to live in peace with all men and make things right with everyone. The characteristic that made the goats what they were was there lack of following Christ’s decrees and helping the least of the least these. The same went for the sheep only they chose to do it. 

Q1. What does Jesus' holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46)

Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demands that we be holy as well. He wants us to be separate from the world. Her wants us to live holy and upright lives and not like unbelievers. He wants us to be holy because He is holy. He wants us to keep ourselves from sin and from people who do not believe like we do. We should look and act like people of God so others know we belong to Him.

In the parable the sheep were the ones who visited the ones in jail, fed and clothed people and took care of the sick. The goats were the people who did not do any of these duties. Therefore God said He did not know them.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as his disciples? All disciples are expected to live according to the holiness and righteousness exemplified by Jesus. Doing anything less would be a mockery of the Holy God of Israel.

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, what was the primary characteristic of the sheep vs. the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46) The sheep were the righteous and holy ones sanctified for eternal life because they helped and believed when Jesus' disciples needed it. The goats on the other hand were doomed to eternal fire because they turned away Jesus' disciples.

I recently had strange incidents of young people-- in their 20s-- coming up to me on the street to beg for money. This usually happens  with homeless people who often hold out cans for spare change but it is somewhat unusual for young people dressed in nice clothes to chase me down for money. It's not recommend that you give handouts because you don't know where the money is going; most often these beggars use the cash to buy drugs. I found it strange, almost like a test set up to see how generous and righteous I was.  It's hard to see that these well-dressed 20-year-olds are in need when they obviously have the means if they're dressed in fancy sneakers and jeans. I didn't give because I didn't feel the need to prove to my righteousness.

There's a guy in the Airbnb apt I've been living in, who has been chasing me down for money for weeks. He's a young attractive male and was a friend of the lady that owned the place. In his room are massive amounts of stereo and music equipment, guitar, so he's definitely not poor. It could be assumed that since he's a friend the host of the apt, he was getting some kind of a break in the room fees.  He once asked me for $20 and then $40, and even a $60 and had a whole sob story planned in which he would say that he was taking his guitar to the corner store to beg for money. He would be calling, texting, asking to meet me out at a bank so I could give him the money he needs. I wonder how he could stay in an apt that is 110 per night, if he has to beg for money on the street corner? I had no choice but to give him some money because he was harassing me so much.

The great irony of this is that I told the guy about  how I had been illegally locked out of my home for 16 months and that I'd been living out of hotels and Airbnb spots ever since. It's been doubly hard because I use a wheelchair and have hard time finding accessible housing. Can this guy see I was in need? Of course. Could he hear the distress in my voice when I was explaining about having been moved from shelter to shelter? Sure he could. But it goes back to the verse about those who are sighted but refuse to see, and those who hear but refuse to listen. It's unfortunate that there are people out there that would prey upon their neighbors this way. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  We cannot be righteous in our own selves.  Jesus bore my sin and gave me His Righteousness.  He exchanged my sin for His Righteousness.  "The righteous one, my servant, shall make many righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities." (Isaiah 53:11b).  As His disciples we are to live Holy lives now that we have the Spirit of God (The Helper) residing in us. "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" (1 Peter 1:14-16)  Jesus is our Advocate if we do sin.  And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:(1John 2:1b)  Jesus is in himself the Righteous and Holy One. When he lives in us and we in him, he infuses his own righteousness into our lives.

b. Primary characteristics of sheep vs goats:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sheep - Doing the Works of God, feeding, loving, clothing, providing, caring for God's sheep. These showing they love God with all their heart and others, as themselves.                   Goats - Not caring for others and not loving God.  Thinking only of themselves.

• 1 year later...

Jesus holiness and righteousness demands that we follow his pattern in our own personal lives, in front of people and behind closed doors when no one is looking.

The sheep were the ones who live for Jesus and follow Jesus ways and obeyed him and cared about others. The goats did not serve Jesus the way they were supposed to. So it is wise to follow Jesus ways not the world's ways or the ways of the flesh.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Q1. What does Jesus’ holiness and righteousness demand of our lives as His disciples?

ANDWER: As His disciples Jesus says we are to live lives that are holy and righteous. This we cannot do on our own strength but on the strength of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

Holiness is a condition of purity or freedom from sin. It describes God's nature; righteousness describes how God acts as a result of His holiness. God's laws are holy because they come from His nature. God's standards for enforcing His laws are always righteous.

No one can work-up-to righteousness because righteousness begins as purity. It comes out of holiness; it does not reach up to holiness. Holiness sets the standard. Righteousness is the result of a relationship that fulfills that standard. If righteousness only flows from holiness, we can be righteous by walking in the presence of a holy God, and let His Spirit act through you. We need Christ's righteousness imputed to us—meaning, we need His holiness before God credited to our account.

ANSWER: Goats are typically pushy, self-reliant animals. They are independent and think they know best. Goats do not respond well to shepherding. But Jesus frequently spoke of Himself as the Shepherd and His followers as sheep. In contrast to goats, sheep are gentle, they stick together, and they rely on their shepherd. It is these qualities that help us understand God’s desire for compassionate service in and through us.

Goats are naturally curious and independent, while sheep tend to be more distant and aloof. Sheep have a stronger flocking instinct and become very agitated if they are separated from the rest of the flock. It is easier to keep sheep inside a fence than goats. Sheep are easier to handle than goats.