JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abiding and Fruit

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as “souls saved”? What is the danger in this definition?

• 3 months later...

Q11.1      (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus?     *    The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus?   

Imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery,  BUT in this case growing more and more Christ-like is our true goal. Staying connected to Jesus through the Holy Spirit is the pathway to victory , Kingdom victory.  Abiding in Jesus , being His shadow as were His disciples, is the blessing we seek and GOD requires of us.  We 'bear fruit' as we are intimately connected with the "VINE",  longing to become His friend .    Jesus said " 8  This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." (John 15:7-8, ) .            

*       Is it accurate to define fruit as “souls saved”?      *    What is the danger in this definition?

The 'fruit of our labors' may be bringing many others to know to have a relationship with Christ ,  but many miss the mark by thinking that's all there is.  Being Christs hands and feet and mouth as we go about allows Christ to live through us. The bearing of the Fruit of the Spirit shows our maturity as we cling to the VINE. 

Their are many who do GOD's work but Jesus says 'go away, for i never knew you' , for they are not nurished from the Vine directly.   Their heart may be right but their connection to Christ is not number one, if at all.

The True Vine    John 15:1-8     “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.  2  Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.        3  You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.  4  Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.                5  '"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.  6   If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they  gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  7  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you  will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.  8  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

(John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus?

We need to abide in Jesus so that we can be intimately connected to Jesus. 

The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus?

The fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus mean that we will bare much fruit.  We receive nourishment and life offered by Jesus. 

Is it accurate to define fruit as “souls saved”? What is the danger in this definition?

Yes, fruit bearing shows that you are a disciple of Jesus.  If you are not bearing fruit, you are unproductive and will be separated from Jesus.

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"? What is the danger in this definition? 

Using the fruit of the vine analogy, if the grape becomes separated from the vine it’s source of life and nourishment is cut, and the grape dries up like a prune. Although a prune is a good food source, its next task is being consumed. In other words, it is done. Jesus also had a few talks about being consumed but the point is that while we’re connected to the vine (Jesus), we are alive, the reason Jesus came. John 10:10 gives some insight as to what happens if we become separated (the result of being removed from the vine, or, not abiding in Jesus) from Jesus: John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. Abiding in Jesus is where this more abundant life comes from. If Satan plucks you from the vine (steal, kill, and destroy), the results are describe in Matthew 25:46, but if we abide in Jesus, the reward for doing so is in that same verse: And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. Satan can’t pluck you away so long as you abide in Christ (John 10:39). The Bible says no one can pluck you from His hand, but when you add all these words up, especially the abide lines, I would tend to think we better stay on guard and not jump out of His hand to investigate that which we are to stay away from.

The nature of the fruit from being connected to Christ is life eternal. Stay connected with Christ and He will remain connected with you.

Souls saved is important, but Jesus knew that all would not come to Him, and even in the book of Revelation, as bad as things get toward the end (Revelations 16:9, 16:9, 11). One needs to be conscience of the fact that you also have a responsibility to yourself. There is nothing anybody else can do to get you in the door. You must bring your own oil for your lamp (Matthew 25:1-5). I’m not saying that you should not be concerned for others, but I think that needs to be kept in mind. You can walk around searching out the lost, and healing the sick, etc., but you also need to not develop the attitude that this person or that person needs Jesus, while not remaining connected to Him yourself. If, in the process of doing the work of the Kingdom you become disconnected yourself, you are in a dangerous place. It would be like working hard all your life and not maintaining a plan in place for when you can no longer work had, except this is something with eternal consequences.

We all have our individual callings to God’s work. I would think that we are bearing fruit if we are doing that work, regardless of what it is. Why would the Spirit instruct a person to do something if it was meant for someone else to do? Just as it takes many parts to make a car run, likewise with the church. We all have our part to keep the church strong.

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"? What is the danger in this definition?

We need to abide in Jesus so that we can come to know Him in a personal and intimate way. Only when we get to know Him and what He is like can we grow in our spiritual life. We need to stay close to Him and learn from Him otherwise we can be led astray. We need to spend time with Him through the Spirit just as the disciples spent time with Him. Our power comes from Him, not within ourselves. 

It means spiritual fruit or righteous living. As in the fruits of the Spirit as Paul talked about; we are to live our lives out in such a way that people can see Him in us.

I once thought that was what it meant but it means fruits of the Spirit not how many people you win to Christ. The danger with that definition is that you can demoralize a person by saying that they are not very spiritual because they have not won many to Christ. You can utterly destroy someone's faith by comparing them to someone else who has won more people to Christ. A person can win others to Christ and not be very righteous in other areas of his or her life; while another person can be very close to God and only win a few to Him. it is your day to actions, thoughts, and words He is concerned about here.

Why do we need to abide in Jesus?

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through him who strengthens me. John 15:5 - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

As for me, in this walk I stumble horribly when I do not abide (remain near, kept Him first, walk according to my carnal will/desire). Therefore it is crucial that I rest in Him so that I may glorify Him. As I abide I am able to carry out His will accordingly; as I do not abide I misrepresent Him, His purpose, His glory to others and to myself; I bring disvalue and/or insult the intimacy of our personal relationship.

The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus?

Nature(noun) the sum of qualities and attributes which make a person or thing what it is, as distinct from others; native character; inherent or essential qualities or attributes; peculiar constitution or quality of being.

As I am connected to/in Him the result(s) (nature) is not godly but according to His will. The outcome, the product demonstrates His purpose in my life and/or others. As I’m connected in/to Him I’m able to be the Witness/Ambassador/Believer of the Call in the manner that pleases to Lord.

Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"?

In my opinion no! It has always been God/The Spirit that draws people. Throughout the Scriptures it’s demonstrated over and over the Spirit/God drawing souls unto Him. Many call Abram the Father of Faith, God called Him out of darkness into the marvelous light. Genesis 15:6 And Abram believed the LORD, and the LORD counted him as righteous because of his faith (Romans 4:3, 22; Galatians 3:6; James 2:23).  As He lifted God (held true to his conviction) God drew other unto Him. 

It is my belief, as our conversations (Ephesians 4:22;  Philippians 1:27, 3:30; 1st Timothy 4:12; Hebrews 13:5; James 3:13; 1st Peter 1:15,18, 2:12, 3:1; 2nd Peter 3:11)  are according to His will, we reflect His light; we are the light and salt of the earth. In being so others will seek to know more of Him, some of the others will desire to know Him.

What is the danger in this definition?

I believe glory is being deferred/displaced. 

In my opinion, it’s unfortunate, many have said and will continue to say, “so and so saved this or that amount of souls.  The danger is people attempt to take the credit for saving someone vise acknowledging he/she was a vessel being used to lead someone to Christ.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as “souls saved”? What is the danger in this definition?

We need to abide in Jesus so we may get to know him more intimately, a personal relationship.

Being connected to Jesus is to bear more fruit to grow fully into the person he wants us to be.

Yes, I think it is accurate to define fruit as " souls saved " We are the fruit he is the vine, without the vine the fruit withers.

QUESTION 1^LESSON 11 (John 15:1-8)

Primarily we need to abide in Jesus so that reciprocally He abides in us. Additionally, when Jesus abides in us we can bear fruits, not any type of fruit but fruits that  have the character of the ‘vine’ Jesus, fruits that bring glory to God the Father.

The nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus have the character of Jesus. The fruit will have characteristics like being compassionate, loving, forgiving, prayerful, patient, serving and humble among others.

No it is not accurate, being saved is like getting a boarding passing, there will still be more formalities to be attended to before you get on the plane and fly.

Using my boarding pass analogy, one could fail to get through the clearance checks and fail to get on board the flight. In Christian terms and relevant to this lesson, one could be saved but because they are not in Jesus and Jesus is not in them those “sous saved” will not produce the expected fruit but instead a variety of unrighteous fruits. Once connected one needs to continuously receive nourishment. This is similar to being connected to the internet with no data bundles.

Jesus is the vine, we are a branch and we can do nothing unless we remain in Him. If you take a branch from the vine off, it withers and dies and is not good for anything. We cannot bear fruit unless we are connected to Him. He is the one who gives life and all that we need, obedience is really important to this way of life. If we turn form Christ, we wither up and do not produce anything.

I believe the nature of the fruits are fruits of the Spirit manifested in our lives. The fruits then enable us, along with being filled with the Holy Spirit, to reach our to the unchurched and others are able to see Christ in and through us.

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"? What is the danger in this definition?

When we do not abide in Christ we wither away and are thrown away by the Father because we do not bear fruit like we should. The fruits they are talking is the fruit of the Spirit and also talents, gifts, zeal, devotion, credit,  reputation, as well as hopes and comforts. All that God basically gives us through the Spirit is a fruit.
No it is not because souls saved is a different thing altogether.

It could jeopardize a person’s faith if that person is not close enough to God.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  We need to abide in Jesus because He is our Life.  He is the Vine, we are the branches.  He is our source of everything we need - to be all he calls us to be and to do. We are to stay attached to the vine to get our nourishment from Him. When we stay connected to the Vine - no foe, sickness or disease can harm us. We are one with Him, united to Him.  We bear beautiful fruit.   I think of a beautiful apple - Large, healthy, beautiful to the eye and taste, appealing , delicious - something people would want.   Fruits of righteous, fruits of the Spirit, being changed from glory to glory. 

b. The nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus is goodness and righteousness and truth; (Eph. 5:9) and
the Fruit of the Spirit - Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal. 5:22)

c & d.  I always thought of it as  "souls saved"  and if I was not bearing fruit (saving souls)  that I would be cut off and thrown in the furnace.  This scared me.  It is good to see it is producing a changed life in me, of being more like Jesus and falling in love with Him, being one with Him that I might clearly hear from Him in listening to His Spirit inside me. 

Q1. (John 15:1-8) 
The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. 
What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? 

In our daily walk we need to stay in intimate fellowship with the Lord – through the Spirit. Jesus is telling us to “Stay with Me”; “Keep close to Me”; “Follow Me”; “Do what I say”; “Allow the Spirit to transform you by the renewing of your mind”. Just as a branch abides in a vine by drawing its life and nourishment from the vine, so we abide in Jesus by spending time in prayer, in reading and obeying the Word, in having fellowship with His people, and in being continually aware of our union with Him. The only way this union can be maintained and strengthened is through us abiding in Christ, and becoming stronger and more assured in our faith. In the same way as we continually acknowledge Him in everything we do, we are aware of His abiding in us and supplying us with spiritual strength and resources. Jesus said “apart from Me you can do nothing” (v5), not meaning we are unable to function - we can still be very active, even as a Christian, but without dependence on Him we will not become like Him – achieving nothing in God’s sight. The more we get to know Him through His Word the more we will understand Him and begin to think His thoughts. A vine branch has one great purpose, and that is to bear fruit. For this to happen we have to live our life in touch with Jesus moment by moment. The fruit spoken about here is the fruit of faithfulness in all we do – in our daily walk, our denial of self to all ungodliness, and the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22). The ultimate purpose is to glorify the Father through the Son. To define fruit as “souls saved” there has to be true repentance. There must be proof of this, of bearing fruit worthy of repentance - this can only be done by leaving our sins and walking in a new and clean life of holiness. A writer once said that true repentance is more than only a few tears, a spasm of regret, a little fright, and a mere sorrow for sins – this does not constitute repentance in the sight of the Lord. The guilty one is expected to reform their life by ceasing to do things that were wrong – there must first be visible signs of fruit. 

Q1. (John 15: 1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as “souls saved”? What is the danger in this definition?

1 a. We need to abide in Jesus to be connected to Him.

1 b. The nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus is the results of one abiding in the vine.

1 c. It’s accurate to define fruit as “soul saved”, as fruit applies to one’s way of life after salvation. The result is followed by our way of life or character.

1 d. Bearing fruit or more fruit show that we are His disciple and that in producing fruit one must stay in "keeping with repentance".

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus? The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus? Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"? What is the danger in this definition?

1. We cannot bear fruit by our self, unless we abide in Jesus." We need to be intimately connected to and receiving nourishment from the Jesus; to really get to know God intimately.

2. We bear much fruit that will last and bring glory to God. We matures as we "walk in the Spirit. We produces the fruit of righteous character and love that brings glory to God.

3. Yes

4. We must be sure to express fruit bearing, otherwise we will not be productive. It shows we are connected to Jesus.

The fruit of the Spirit is the fruit He is looking for. As you grow things will become natural - the desire to help those in trouble, to give money, time, assistance. The fruit is in you. The work you do for the Lord is connected but separate. It brings a reward in Heaven.

Why we need to abide in Him is so that we can bear fruit, and it is the only place that we are safe. We won an unwinnable war against the Nazis because the King called the nation to prayer (. I  have written a paper called Mein Jubein which is Hitler explaining how he won the war, which proves that God was the one who won. If you would like to read it let me know).In gratitude we have let our country become a cess pit with the level constantly rising. We have seen the early stages of the persecution of Jews and  Christians. If you are not abiding in Him you are at risk spiritually and physically

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q 1a: Jesus was connected and fully surrendered to, as well as totally dependent upon His Father (and ours), and said "I only do what I see My Father doing. In the same way, in order for us to bear fruit which lasts and has eternal value, we must be connected to (totally dependent) upon the Vine, Jesus. John 15:5 Apart from Me (cut off from vital union with Me) you can do nothing.

b. The "fruit" is anything done which glorifies God, (John 14:8)  which is done in obedience to Him and His Word,  and which He produces through our lives, which includes the Fruit of the Spirit in (Gal 5:22,23) Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, perseverance, faithfulness,  gentleness (meekness, humility) and self control.

c. No, It's not accurate. Jesus alone saves souls. We may be used as we walk with Him to tell others about Him, share the way to Salvation, and pray for and with individuals to receive Jesus and His gift of Salvation....but we do not "save souls." 

d. The danger is first of all pride, if we lead someone to salvation, taking credit for it. Second, there is danger in feeling totally responsible for others salvation. We are not, although we pray, encourage, share our own faith walk and experience with Him, Salvation is His gift and is offered to everyone (John 3:16)  to either freely choose or reject. (I heard a young man say one time in a prayer the result of this incorrect belief: I know Brent's blood will be on my hands if he dies without accepting Jesus.)What a hideous (and false) burden to carry!

I love that we have been "re-gifted!"   The Father chose us and called us before the foundation of the world was formed (Eph 1:4) and gave us to Jesus as His love gift.(John 17:6, 8,9)...in the fullness of time, Holy Spirit came alongside and softened our hearts, encouraged us through what we've heard or read or seen or experienced. (John 15:26)....and when we said "Yes" to Him, Jesus redeemed us, washed us clean in His blood, forgave all of our sins, past present and future, and gave us back to His Father (and now ours) as His love gift. (John 17:9)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because He is our personal savior and is also our mediator to God.  Fruit connected to Jesus Christ is the good fruit.  Produced by righteous people who are God fearing Christians who do the commandments.  Yes, the good fruit is what God wants on both earth and heaven now and the new earth and heaven that He will create in the future after judgment day.  Fruit can become corrupt by the devil if they are tricked by him.  Then become rebellious non-Christians and fall out of Christianity.

• 1 month later...

We need to abide in Jesus so that we can have fruits. We can do nothing without Him. The fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus is being able to help others and to make more disciples. I don’t think that it is a good idea to say “souls saved” because it is the Soul that is saving us.

Q1. (John 15:1-8)

Q. Why do we need to abide in Jesus?

A. So that we can bear much fruits that last.

Q. The fruit from branches connected to a vine is the grape. What is the nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus?

A. The fruit is that which produces Christ character and life style - the fruit of the Holy Spirit. This is indicated by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self control.

Q. Is it accurate to define fruit as "souls saved"? What is the danger in this definition?

A. I don't think so and I don't really know why.

• 2 months later...

Jesus said that He is the true vine and we are the branches and we will bear much fruit if we abide in Him. This is one of His “I am” statements. This analogy is so relevant in our understanding of abiding in Him. For a branch cut off from a very prolific fruit tree is not going to produce any fruit, because now it is not linked to the tree. The nourishment that was flowing through the branch is no longer flowing in it since it is cut off. Likewise, if we are distanced from the Lord there won’t be any fruit. We need to be in His presence daily, in His word continually, else we will lack fruit that will pleasure Him and reward us eternally. Fruit is produced by choosing to abide in Him, intertwine our life with His and be so close to Him that there would be fruit in our lives. Fruit in a tree is not produced by the striving and struggling of the branches, but just by abiding in the tree. Similarly, fruit in our lives is produced by abiding in Him, who is the True Vine.

In Romans 1:13 winning lost souls is identified as fruit. Romans 6:22 defines fruit as holiness. Romans 15:28 identifies giving as fruit. Colossians 1 describes fruit as helping practically. Hebrews 13 says that the fruit of our lips – giving Him thanks and praise – as fruit. Ultimately Galatians 5:22 teaches that fruit of the Spirit is love. Love is the ultimate fruit. Joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and self-control arise because of love. So when our life is filled with love everything else that will glorify God – be it in giving, saving souls, giving of thanks, helping others practically, or having the attributes of joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and self-control will be seen in our lives.

If we define fruit as only winning lost souls, then there is an element of pride involved, because it will be more as a sense of accomplishment, rather than being submitted and yielded to Him and allowing Him to use us as a channel of bringing His purposes to accomplishment.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We need to abide in Jesus because we cannot bear fruit by ourselves. In John 15, He said, "(verse 1) I am the true vine and my father is the husbandman (gardener). (verse 4) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. (verse 5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." So when we abide in Jesus, we bring forth more fruit, as without Him we can do nothing.

The nature of the fruit is the fruit of the Holy Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, kindness, and self-control.

No it is not accurate to define fruit as "souls saved." 

• 8 months later...

Q1. (John 15:1-8) Why do we need to abide in Jesus?

“Because He is the true vine and His Father is the gardener.” (John 15:1) It’s abiding in Jesus we develop a personal relationship with Him and get to know Him more intimately. He says,“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.” (John 15:4 (NKJV)

Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. “John 15:2 (NKJV) The nature of the fruit is being connected to the vine to produce much fruit.

Yes, fruit is a “souls saved. “

The danger is , there are expectation of being a disciple of Christ, we are expected to bear fruit, therefore,  our action and lifestyle that we present, imitates who, and who’s we are. Thus. we must, abide in Him, the vine; stay connected through the word daily, spend time in prayer, praise and meditation. Jesus said, " 1 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.:Matthew 5:16 (NLT2)

• 10 months later...

We need to Abide because it is life. A branch on its own cannot do anything without its main root, no growth, no fruits no appreciation. It is all emptiness. Jesus is therefore life. It is a two-way relationship, the word to live in us and we can ask anything in his name and without him, we can do nothing. It is not a soul saved but a believer, disciple  and the danger is we will be judgemental and see ourselves as better and others not good or sinners.

• 1 month later...

We need to abide in Christ because we cannot bear fruit by ourselves. He is the vine and we are the branches and so by abiding in Him we are intimately connected to and receiving nourishment from Him that transforms us into a Christ like nature and true disciples of Christ. It is very important for us to abide in Jesus through the Holy Spirit for our deeper relationship with Him, our spiritual growth and development so that God will be glorified.

The nature of the fruit that comes from being connected to Jesus is the nature of being a true disciple of Jesus.

Yes, an unsaved soul cannot bear fruit, the danger however is, not all saved souls bear fruits because they do not abide in Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

So that He can abide in us.
So that we can flourish, become who Father has called us to be.
So that we can mature and become more like Christ, desiring live a life pleasing and acceptable to Father.

To develop Christs nature, and desire, to emulate Christs Character, to live the Life of Christ. To grow in the fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

No

Fearing that one is not saved, or that Christ does not abide in them because they have not brought anyone to Christ.

I believe fruits is the way we live our lives, striving to live a righteous life, based on the fruits of the Spirit and the Character of Christ. It is these fruits we need to bare. These Fruits are pleasing to Father.

We do not save souls, Father does that, He calls His chosen people. He places us in the right place at the right time to do His Will, or to be found, to preach, minister, heal in Jesus name, through the power of the Holy Spirit, or to be ministered of and delivered by the Holy Spirit, in Jesus name.

Love and blessing to you all. Xx