JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel prayed in total humility before God, knowing that neither he nor the nation of Israel deserved divine mercy - but also that nothing but God's mercy could bring them through. He prepared by investing time in fasting, clothing himself in sackcloth, and adorning himself with ashes. He was willing to take on a responsibility for the sin of his nation and represent them with humble, grieving, repentant intercession before God.

I think the people had strayed so far from God in their sins that their only remaining hope was the mercy of God. (How contemporary is that?) Daniel had to come with a humble broken heart and a serious attitude of repentance. The time was fast approaching when Jeremiah's prophecy would be completed. The fulfillment of God's covenant with Israel would require restoration of His people to Himself - and He could not bless this wicked rebellion and shame.

To intercede like this, I think I must first have that broken heart for the other person/people - to see the sin and be crushed by what it has done to God and their relationship with Him. Fasting will help me focus on my utter dependence on Him. And I need to confess my own sin and be cleansed before starting to intercede for anyone else. It is the faithful prayers of the righteous that avail much (James 5:16). Then, in my own heart, I have to take on the weight of the transgression of the one for whom I intercede and carry it to the throne as I turn my face to the LORD God and seek Him by "prayer and pleas for mercy".

Daniel prays in earnest for his people that Yahweh would forgive their sins and enable the restoration to take place.

Daniel turned to Yahweh and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.

It symbolized the penitence with which Saniel came to represent his people before Yahweh.

What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

I will quote Pastor Ralph

The seriousness of the prayer is expressed by the phrase, "in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes." Fasting was a way to humble oneself before God. Sackcloth was a sign of mourning and with ashes "symbolized the penitence with which Daniel came to represent his people before the Lord."

Why is this so important in this case?

It is all ways important when we come to he Lord in prayer

In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

We sometimes say prayer doesn

Daniel prepared by wearing sack cloth and ashes. His demeanor was one of complete humility. This is important in this cse, because the Israelites did not earn or deserve mercy...they'd been warned. When we intercede for others, we too should prepare by confessing our own sins, having an attitude of humility...the broken and contrite spirit.

Q2 What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

Deliberate and abject (of the lowest degree) humility.

How does he prepare?

He covers himself with sackcloth (rough goat hair, a symbol of penitence) and ashes, and with fasting.

He wants God to know for certain that his only cause is for the people of Israel. It is not a personal petition.

Finding a serene place, away from other people and distractions. Going through a quiet time ourselves to prepare our bodies and heart for deep and heartfelt prayer.

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

HUMBLE - he fasted and clothed himself in the garments of humility sackcloth of goat hair and ashes - Daniel knew that Israel not deserving so he counted on God's = Chesed - once again knowing God would grant grace - - total humility showed God Daniel's true heart.

When we prepare for intercession then we should die to any fleshly desires we might have and be willing to go before God in complete abandonment of any agenda we may have. Going before God - we must first be broken - poor in spirit - to make sure that we are praying with the right heart

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

Daniel prayed in total humility before God he prepares himself so that God will know he is not coming before him thinking all is well with him and that he shows the love he has for the people he is praying for.

How does he prepare?

He has on sack cloth and ashes and show that he really needing God to answer plus he fasted which was done before the pray and that always to this day gets God's attention.

He wanted God to know how important Israel was to him and that he wanted this done for them it is not a personal need but one for his people.

Fasting is always a good way to prepare for intercession with God. He honors a fast to this day. We can take time to be alone with God to cry out and weep before him. He is worthy of our best and will except no less. Thank you Jesus.

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

FIRST DANIEL TURNED TO THE LORD AS A HUMBLE MAN. HE TAKES THIS INTERCESSORY PRAYER SERIOUS BY FASTING (SHOWS THAT HE IS A HUMBLE MAN BEFORE THE LORD) AND WEARING SACKCLOTH (MOURNING) AND ASHES (PENITENCE--HEARTFELT).

How does he prepare?

IN PRAYER AND PETIION, IN FASTING AND IN SACKCLOTH AND ASHES. HE PRAYED AND CONFESSED. DANIEL PLEAD (MEANING HE SEEKED ANSWERS). HE MADE A PETITION (A HEARTFELT RESPONSE ASKING FOR MERCY). HE CONFESSED ALL THE SINS OF HIS NATION. HE DID THIS ALL NOT ARROGANTLY BUT HUMBLY.

IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO APPROACH GOD IN A HUMBLE MANNER BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE TO GRANT ANYONE ANYTHING. HE IS GOD. SO ARROGENCE WON'T GET THE ATTENTION DANIEL NEEDS IN HIS INTERCESSORY PRAYER. HE DIDN'T APPROACH GOD WITH A BOLD REQUEST INSTEAD HE HUMBLES HIMSELF AND ASK FOR MERCY.

WE SHOULD USE DANIEL'S EXAMPLE OF PRAYER TO HELP US PREPARE INTERCESSION. IT IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE.

Daniel approached God in complete humility when he asked for mercy for tthe nation of Israel. He knew that he himself nor the nation were deserving of God's mercy.

He fasted and put on sackcloth and covered himself in ashes to demonstrate his complete humility and earnestness before God.

We should always confess our sins before we plead for mercy for ourselves or for others. God alone is Holy and Worthy of our adoration and praise.

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare?

Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel was well prepared before his intercession. He fasted and asked God for the forgiveness of his people.

I think it is important for us to be well prepared, before presenting our petitions to God. Knowing all along that for some of the sins we commit we dont derserve the pardon and forgiveness.

How-ever praise God for his unconditional love, mercy and grace and the blood of the unblemished lamb that has saved us.

Thank you Lord, for loving me, a sinner.

Amen

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

He prayed in ernest humility with a repentant heart for the sin of the peole. He set his face to his Lord in fasting and in sackcloth and ashes. As he prayed and fasted he confessed his sins. He prayed with complete surrender to God and with complete openness. We need to pray with same attitude with openness, vulnerability and honesty.

Daniel is humble, and willing to join in the blame and shame and guilt of Israel's past disobedience, and be sincerely repentant for the whole people.

He prepares by inviting God into the very room where he is praying-showing him the very papers which distress him so, knowing the only advice and counsel worth anything is that of his God. How pleased God must be when we actually invite Him into the equation prior to acting.

we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. 6We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our fathers, and to all the people of the land.

How does he prepare?

he professes the sins of GOD's choosen people, shows that he understand why they were scattered

to show GOD that we have observed our sins, understand the consequences of them and are truly sorry for having committed them.

that when we (speak) pray to GOD that it's with all our hearts and souls and not just pretty words. anyway you're not fooling anyone but yourself.

He prayed, he fasted, confessed his sins, and pleased that God would revel his will. He prayed with complete surrender to God and with complete openness tp wjat God was saying to him. When we pray we must examine our attitude. We must talk to God with openess, vulnerability and honesty.

Daniel prayed to God as his God. He made a confession, he was humble, he gave God the glory. he was prepared because he knew that was a God to be feared. It was important because for Daniel to think of God's mercy since he had layed miseries of the people before him. We must acknowledge that we have sinned and then appeal to the mercy and rightousness of God. we cann intercecd for our brother and sisters.

Daniel had been truly sorry for the sins of his people. He was extremely serious about seeking Gods' forgiveness. He showed his seriousness by first fasting, then in sackcloth and ashes which was a sign of penitence for his people. He didn't give any excuses for the sins that his people committed, he just came right out and said "we have sinned". Then he pleaded to God to forgive them.

I believe that by studying the word, fasting, and going through the preparations , Daniel showed God that he determined to wait for an answer to his prayer. I don't think that there too many people like Daniel that would do what he did for his people.

I think that Daniel is a perfect example of how to prepare, and present yourself for true intercession.

Daniel was mournful, sad and troubled but humbly came before God for his people

He confesses their sins --- acknowledging that God would answer in due time. He was very persistent.

We need to always confess any sin and ask forgiveness. There is no little sin, sin is sin, if it doesn't line up with the word of God and is worldly. When in doubt, ask anyway. Fast and pray for intercession. Be persistent as was Daniel and not give up until we have a breakthrough.

Daniel's demeanor is that of humility as he prays. He does not approach God before researching the Scriptures. He also fasted and clothed himself in sackcloth and ashes. This was important because Daniel knew how terribly wrong the Israelites were and that they did indeed deserve to be punished for their sins against God. Daniel humbling himself paved the way for the Israelites to receive God's forgiveness and restoration. Today, we would probably ttake the same approach, only that instead of using sackcloth and ashes, God would only require a contrite, sincere heart as we made intercession for those in need of it.

Daniel's demeanor is that of true humility, even though they have a personal relationship there is no taking either for granted. As was mentioned, God owes no man anything. And because the judgment is right there's nothing to bargin.

He prepares by "confession" of sins (himself and the people's) a true intercessor. leaving no room for pride or arrogance. Humbly approaching the Living God. As preparations go, he "fasts" & puts on "sack cloth and sprinkles ashes" on himself. Denying himself and mourning for the sins commited, and the need for help.

Israel as a Nation had turned from God, but the Prophecy didn't depend on their actions but on God's actions, but it needed to rehearsed to God that "we" have sinned and that's why we're in this condition now. But according to Your word its ending.

Reliving or recognizing the seriousness of the situation at hand cause people to do serious things, fasting means that we're really serious about this. Though sackcloth and ashes aren't required, it reminds us of how mournful this is. Turning over in my mind who I am, and the people that I'm interceeding for makes me look at things differently.

He humbles himself so that he doesn't take anything with him that might cancel his prayer for the people. :rolleyes:

Because if he had gone to the Lord without humbling himself first. His pray might have not be heard. He didn't want anything blocking his prayer. :unsure:

How does he prepare?

He had to prepare himself to go before the Lord without anything that hinders. He puts on sackcloth to show that he wants to come humbly before the Lord. B)

Before intercession we to need to humble our selves. To fast and confess any sins that might be in our lives so that our prayers don't get blocked. :rolleyes:

First I believe Daniel saw the matter of his prayers as impacting on the nation of Israel and essential to the times (the seventy years were up). Sensitivity to God over many years of praying and faithfulness and study helped him to be aware of the promise of God for the return of Israel to Jerusalem in 70 years. He was a righteous man, a servant at heart, especially when it came to interaction with Almighty God, so he was prepare to do anything necessary to be in touch with God over this matter of the return of the Jews to Jerusalem. Therefore he determined to fast and pray, respecting God in sackcloth and ashes as he confessed the sins of Israel. It reminds me of when Jesus determined to go to Jerusalem, knowing the fate that awaited Him there. The need is seen and the determination is to go through. O that we modern Christians had such toughness! We can have - there is no excuse!

Daniel was a visionary and could see in his heart what God's plan was. He was very excited by this, and I think it didn't dawn on him to do otherwise! He was with God in prosperity or suffering, and the fruition of God's plan excited him greatly.

I may likewise prepare for intercession by studying God's Word and praying faithfully and regularly, by being aware of what is happening prophetically and setting my heart completely on the things of God, undaunted by things of this world in which I am only a travellerl God showed me recently that we are clean, that only our feet get dirty by this world's dirty doings and need washing, but the rest of us is clean. We need to be totally aware that we live in a different dimension, the dimension of the eagle (not the rabbits!) and see everything from that viewpoint. Daniel clearly did that, and we can aspire to it also if we so determine!

:blink:

Daniel prays earnestly and with all humilty for forgiveness for his people.

Daniel fasts and puts on sackcloth and puts ashes on his head showing his humilty and willingness to be an intercessor for his people. Willingness to take on their sins.

Daniel knows that he has no right to ask for his nations forgiveness because they don't deserve it. He knows that without an intercessor all is lost for the nation of Israel.

We must be willing to humble ourselves before God and take on the burdens and/pr sins of those we are intercessing for. We must stand in the gap for those who need helpl

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel takes on a humble repentant attitude. He prepares by fasting and putting on sackcloth as a sign of his repentant attitude. This was a very serious request Daniel was making, he was in earnest and he preparation demonstrated that. The same, searching our hearts before God, repenting and fasting.

Daniel's demeanor is that he has a humble, repentant attitude. He comes before the Lord in prayer.

He prepares by fasting and coming before God in sackcloth and ashes.

This is important because Daniel isn't coming to God in boldness to plead a righteous cause. He is coming before God humbly to ask for mercy for a very sinful people.

We can prepare for intercession by first confessing our sins to God and getting His forgiveness.

Next we should spend time praising God for who He is.

Finally, we should allow the Holy Spirit to guide us as we pray. We need to pray for the people and situations that God lays upon our hearts.