JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Spring of Living Water

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blessing and provision of God is abundant, always fresh, constantly resupplied, vibrantly in motion, flowing powerfully. Conversely, the provision of God is NOT stingy, stale, insufficient, stagnant, or ineffective. If I am His and He is mine, then it is available to me. All of Yahweh is for all of me! Another wonderful Chris Tomlin/Louis Giglio song speaks beautifully of this concept. Check out "Enough". (Yes, I think I'm a groupie! Tomlin music is great.)

I'm reminded of one of my most favorite Scriptures, Isaiah 43:18-19: "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." We learn from what has gone before, but we can't park our lives in past - with its failures or victories. The supply for yesterday is not the supply for today! What I need for this moment is springing up right now in this moment. Just as my physical thirst recurs over and over, my spiritual thirst does the same. The process of sanctification in my life makes me thirsty, in need of supply for all that I realize I do not yet possess. If I am not aware of the true nature of that thirst, I'll go looking for satisfaction in all the wrong ways and places. The Spring of Living Water is the only source of supply that has the ability to meet my need. He will make a way for me and sustain me through whatever I face. I don't have to worry about running out, running dry, going stagnant, or losing power - ever.

That He is always there to meet my needs. He is Eternal. God is only a breath away and I only have to call out His name and He will answer. No matter what goes on in our lives all we have to do is go to the BOOK with the answers and have the comfort of knowing that it holds the answer. Everything is there and I only need to search for the nuggets that are placed at my disposal and meditate on what God's will is for my life.

My hope is in the Lord, I will never be thirsty, if I am obedient and I will spend eternity with Him.

PRAISE THE NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES!!!! He will make a way when there is no way..

To the Hebrews living water, such as a river, represented a place of purification. This became a chance to be cleansed, refreshed, renewed. Today, a mikvah, or ritual bath is used and is done in instances of conversion, a baby boy's bris (circumcision) or girl's naming ceremony, the cleansing of a menstruous woman, life transitions (becoming a grandparent) and other changes.

To have the Living Water dwelling within through the person of the Holy Spirit means daily purification, a constant change through purging, cleansing and renewal.

This tells me that our God is continually present and working within the believer to bring us to the point of holiness, as only He can make us holy.

I thirst for the Living Water, knowing that when I receive this blessed gift, I will thirst no more. My worldy desires will be quenched, my search for carnal satisfaction passing day by day.

With certainty I can say that as long as I continue to drink of His Living Water my future will be assured. My future in the presence of His glory.

Q4. Meditate on the concept of God as a Spring of Living Water or a Fountain of Living Water for you. What does this say about God? About your thirst? About your future?

The term "Living Water" means the TRUTH, THE WORD.

ISA 44:3For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offs

JHN 4:10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

JHN 7:38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

REV 7:17For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

I will drink of the Living Water daily. For the Truth is my Fountain of Living Water and I shall drink of it everyday. I will not wait for trouble, I will feed my thirst with it. For God is the Living Waters which takes away my thirst and takes care of my every need.

"For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns - broken cisterns that can hold no water." Jer. 2:13

Water is essential to life. In the Old Testament God is the Fountain of living waters - refreshing, everflowing, never ceasing. The cisterns of this world can never fill the emptiness or thirst in our lives, can never bring peace, contentment, joy, satisfaction - they leave us barren, dry, lifeless, without hope.

In the New Testament - Jesus is the giver of living water, that will be in us a well of water springing up into everlasting life. He promised the Samaritan woman that whoever drinks of the water He gives will never thirst! (John 4:14) Jesus proclaimed on the last day of the Feast of Tabernacles: "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink, he who beleives in Me as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.." Jesus - the Fountain of Living water was opened and revealed to a lost and dying world! Living water holds abundant life and is offered to whosoever will! The living water within us empowers us for ministry - to refresh and irrigate others around us!

Our future?! With Jesus and in Jesus - glorious!

Jesus - the Shepherd and the Lamb will lead us unto living fountains of water and wipe away all tears from our eyes!

"And He said to me: It is done! I AM the Slpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts." (Rev.21:6)

"And the Spirit and the bride say: " Come!"...And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely!" (Rev.22:17)

Jesus is the Living Water, and He will always quench our thirst when we come to Him. His source of living water will never run dry. In Texas, we're experiencing a severe drought, and we're wondering if there will be enough water for people and livestock this summer if we don't get substantial rains. We don't have to worry about the Living Water that Jesus supplies, as it will never run dry.

Water is more essential to the human body than food. Living Water is very essential to our spiritual health. We need to realize what our spirits are thirsty for and turn to Jesus to supply our need. We do not need to fear for our future spiritually as He will always supply this need.

Without water that is warm enough to flow there is no life; instead of our living world, it would be lifeless, arid or frozen like the Moon or Mars. In spiritual terms too without the abundant free flowing water that comes from God, the Spring of Living Water, there can be no spiritual life. Water refreshes, it is pure, it cleans, it shapes, it penetrates and it is an essential to growth. God's love for us directs this endless spring of spiritual water to us. It may seem that when we pursue materialistic objectives or believe in man made notions of religion and spirituality that the results are the same; temporaily they may seem so. But they are false and lead no where.

Jesus told us how it was. "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14.

In obedience to Lord Jesus, in our prayers and studies, knowing Him better and better as our spiritual life matures, we are sustained fully. We have everything we could want. Turn away to the allure of the world and its idolatory, to the siren calls of false religions and cults, and what you receive is not sustaining: worse there is no life giving qualities in it at all; it is sin and death the opposite of God's living water. The power of the Holy Spirit and the love of God allows us to live grow in Christ. What does it mean to us and what are the implications? Believe and follow the Lord. The waters that spring from Him give us all we require in this world and it gives us eternal life.

If I am drinking out of a sewer (the human version of wanting all the benefits of faith, but not dependence on Christ) I am drinking death to myself. Jesus is Living Water. If I change my drinking habits and use the Living Water it's wonderful. The Life overcomes death. The Living water is more powerful than death itself! I love that scripture in John1 that says "the light shines in the darknes and the darkness conprehendeth it not!" Darkness cannot exist in the light, let alone fight it. I suspect it is also true that lies cannot exist in the presence of Truth, let alone overpower it. (That is why there is no excuse (Rom 1:18b and 20) for those who claim agnosticism and atheism. They are actually repressing the truth outside of logic! Look what they do with the "theory" of evolution! They claim science and logic, but they lie!)) Also death (including sickness etc) cannot exist in the presence of Life, the Living Water. So all I need is the Living Water, Jesus Christ Himself. For I have died (daily), and it is not I who live, but Christ who lives in me. Death has no more dominion over me. I belong to the resurrection in the present. More Living Water please!

Water is the one thing we love in the physical - clear, fresh and bubbly. We have pictures of it in our houses. We have fountains of it in our gardens. In Australia we love the beaches and bring up our children by the sea. We even train our horses in it because it strengthens their legs! Water both delights and strengthens! It is great therapy as it places no pressure on any part of the body and supports us while we swim and grow strong. Isn't this just like our Father! Does He not support us while delighting, strengthening and training us?

Our thirst is for that living water, for drinking and for walking/strengthening and swimming. (See Ezekiel 47).

Our future lies entirely with the Living Water. There is no future anywhere else! We can literally drink ourselves (drunk in the Spirit even) into eternity through the Blood of Jesus. But let us be generous and offer it around. It is not for our consumption alone, but for the world. All who thirst and are heavyladen are invited to the feast, and we are the cupbearers!

God supplies all our needs--there is no limit to His supply. Living fountains/springs are to be drawn from on a regular basis. Our thirst must be for Him. Our future is in His hands, we need to drink from Him minute by minute.

Q4. Meditate on the concept of God as a Spring of Living Water or a Fountain of Living Water for you. What does this say about God? About your thirst? About your future?

Water is a major source of life. Every civilisation developed on the banks of rivers. Whether the water is for the body, for crops, for trade or anything, water has a major role to play in our lives. In our spiritual lives, the living water is provided by God who is the spring of living water. Spring is a source in the ground that constantly replenishes itself. It is a natural source. God is a living spring in our life. A source of never drying energy, replenishment, life giving fluids and spiritual energy that never runs dry. Having such a source of energy is our fortune. If God be for us, who can be against us. Our source of energy and strength can be tapped at all times. His doors are always open. I can always go to Him and quench my spiritual thirst; there is no need to look for thirst quenching cool drinks. My future is cool and secure!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When we are suffering from extreme physical thirst, nothing but cold, refreshing water will do.

During times of spiritual thirst, only coming to Jesus, the Living Water can satisfy us.

Have you ever been so thirsty on a hot summer day that your throat felt like cotton?

Then you discover a water fountain and take a drink and the water is so cool and refreshing.

Just as we need water to quench our physical thirst, we need to spend time with the Lord to satisfy our spiritual thirst.

When finding living water in a dictionery it means Alive, Strong and also merry troup and maintenance

quick , raw, running, springing. all these words come up.

I live in New York just 15 min. drive from Pensylvania. We are in hills , lower ther than in Pens. but

nice hills. While walking in ther there are several places along the way also driving . I know of at

least 9 places where there are Living Water springs here clear and drinkable. In fact in some of the

communities around here that have sulfer water the families Will take a ride several times a week

to get drinking water for their families . They take milk jugs and fill them and then when it is gone

go back for more. They are trusted and runny fast and clear and clean and most thirst quenching.

So it is easy for this concept to come to life in my mind.

This tells me that God is like one of these fresh wells alwys there. always having water come up and

it is always ready for Me or Us to drink and refresh ourselves and to cleanse ourselves. Splash it ove

ourselves in the heat of summer. The only link that would and will put a distance it we need to go to

the well. We need to go to God. He is always there as these wells are always flowing where they are.

And to be truthfull with myself God is easire to get to than these fresh water wells. To get to a well I

need to drive or hike a certain distance. Not far but still a hike. God is always with us and we just need

to call Out his name righ where he is at and say. I thirst fill me with your living water and spirit.

If we are not full and our thirst not quenched we have only ourselves to blame. We are either not

willing or afraid to call out. Fear and or shame because of sometimes we don't know what are the

only things keeping us from recieving Living Water.

Our future should be secure in God If we call out continually and quench our thirst. :):(

It is up to us.... we can flurish in life or retreat, hide, let fear grasp us and dry up as dust on earth

and be blown away. :(

The choice is individual... :unsure:

It says to me, that He's the fresh water that satisfies the soul, as opposed to stagnant, limpid pools. He's alive and moving. In Ezekial it talks about waters that proceed from under the throne "ankle, knee, waist deep, then rivers to swim in. That's how I see God, how much or how far do I want to get involved with Him?

God says that we can have as much of His refreshing waters as we can. Since it doesn't cost and because we are dry ground without Him, we should really be thirsty for the true and living water, even as Christ on the cross said "I thirst" (for His presence).

If my thirst was quenched so easily with neither hot nor cold water (before I received Christ as Savior) I should be lying down on my back underneath this flow of living water to the point of bursting. God said it would be in us as an well of water springing up into everlasting life (the water is alive).

My future is bright and according to God, He knows the thoughts that He thinks towards me, thoughts of peace and not evil to give me an expected end. I've just embarked on this wonderful journey and I don't have to pack or take provisions because He is my provision (daily bread & water to drink from the well of God).

About six months ago the Holy Spirit gave me a picture in my mind of Jesus and me dancing in a pool that surrounded a fountain. It was so impressed upon my mind, that I had the picture painted on one of the walls of our youth outreach ministry building. Rhinestones were then glued where the water was being poured out of the foundtain. Each time I look at it it reminds me that we are purified in the Living Water. Jesus died on the cross so that we are cleansed - forever purified and made holy. His presence is always IN me. I am always dancing in the Fountain of Life.

When I think of a spring, I think of something completely natural and clean. Clear, pure water all gently flowing from a source we can't see. It is a constant, never ending flowing stream of refreshment when we are tired and worn and thirsty. I think of putting my feet into the cooling swirls of water and how rejuvenated I would feel after a long dusty journey. In a fountain, the water shoots upward with force and falls all around in steady small streams. Those who seek refreshment in a fountain after a hot tired day would be completely saturated and drenched in the coolness of it and I think of dancing and laughing because fountains of water delight me.

God is like both of these, in that even though we can't see Him, He is a never ending source of renewal and rejuvenation for us as we travel through this world. He supplies not only living water (The Word) as drink for our souls, but He pours Himself out to and over us and saturates us with His love and care and compassion. As I soak in His tender mercy and He saturates every part of me, healing me, cleansing me with truth and surrounding me, I do dance with joy and delight in Him. In return I am also poured out as a drink offering to others, sharing His love, and becoming a steady stream of witnessing to His goodness and the truth of His Word.

As for my future.... this means I am never in want. If I flow with the water (drinking in the Word) and stop for the refreshing the water can give me (resting in Him) I am assured of drawing on the constant flow of the goodness and mercy He desires to give me

I liked this lesson because it made me ponder on why I don't seem to flow all the time with Him. I love His Word and read and study everyday...but I see when I get caught up in my everyday concerns and living....sometimes I forget to just rest in Him and receive the rejuvenation He offers..

AS I MEDITATE ON THE CONCEPTS OF GOD AS A SPRING OF LIVING WATER I REALIZE EVERY-DAY THAT I NEED GOD AND WHAT HE HAS ALREADY PROVIDED FOR ME.HE IS MY SOURCE.MY LIFE IS FULL OF BLESSINGS AND RICHES IF I CHOSE TO DRINK FROM THE LIVING WATERS.IF I CHOSE TO GO MY WAY I AM DEAD!! I HAVE KNOW LIFE.SIN IS DEATH! ITS LIKE GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES UNTIL THE RIGHT ROAD IS FOUND AND YOU FIND YOUR WAY BACK TO GOD.ITS LIKE FORGIVE ME GOD FOR I HAVE BEEN STANDING IN STILL I MUST LET HIS LIVING WATERS FLOW IN ME.YES MY FUTURE IS IN THE HANDS OF MY HEAVENLY FATHER AS I MUST DEPEND ON HIM AND NOT MYSELF.AMEN

THERE IS A SONG THAT HAS SUCH BEAUTIFUL WORDS I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE WITH EVERY-ONE THAT A FRIEND SANG IN A CHURCH SERVICE I WENT TO,AND IT IS CALLED "ARISE OH LORD"

YOU ARE THE LIVING WATERS

COME AND FLOW INSIDE OF ME

LET ME MANIFEST YOUR POWER

SO THE WORLD CAN START BELIEVING

(CHORUS) :

ARISE, OH LORD, ARISE

LET YOUR RIVERS FLOW THROUGH ME

ARISE, OH LORD, ARISE

LET YOUR GLORY SHINE THROUGH ME

BRING YOUR HEALING TO THE NATIONS

BY YOUR POWER AND YOUR GRACE

SHOW THE BEAUTY OF YOUR PRESENCE

SO THE WORLD WILL SEEK YOUR HOLY FACE

(CHORUS): REPEAT ARISE, OH LORD, ARISE

I HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYED THESE WORDS IN SONG ,

LET THEM BE YOUR PRAYER.BLESSINGS TO ALL LINDA

In John 4,the Samaritan woman put her faith in Jesus, who knew all her faults yet loved and respect her.She responded to God's gracious forgiveness by immediately telling others about Jesus who had given her a new life.As a result, many were blessed with the faith in Jesus Christ.

As we experience God's powerful deliverance,it is important the we share the good news to others as the Samaritan woman did.It may be the difference for others who do not know Jesus Christ and his Father God.As we share what God has done for us,we will experience the great joy in victory.

Jesus Christ is proclaiming his presence,speaking to us, declaring our own life to us to seeour fault,and offering us the things we long for,the presence of the Living Water,of Faith,and of Grace.We are called to help others to be born into the kingdom by helping them to find their way to the Spring of Living Water,but alsohelp them to grow up as a Christian

For life to exist there must be water, for a spiritual life to exist there must be God. He is our source and there is no other that we can go to for that spiritual refreshing that is needed to exist in the unspiritual world. With out God there is no hope.

This says that God is indeed the Creator and Finisher of Life with out Him nothing can exist. He is our help. He is of strength and He fills all our daily needs. When we are thirsty we seek Him for that refreshing drink of His word to continue to be filled. Without Him there is no future. He will be there when ever we seek HIm but to turn from Him can only lead to darkness and despire.

God as a spring of Living water shows that God is the one that blesses in abundance. He provides our needs without measure. He quenches our thirst with HIS WORD.

This metaphor tells me to depend wholly on God for my blessings because my total trust in HIM will bless me abundantly.

In God my future is bright and established.

Meditate on the concept of God as a Spring of Living Water or a Fountain of Living Water for you. What does this say about God?

That God is a living god in whom there is life. We can be refreshed in God. :)

About your thirst?

That my thirst will be quenched, but I will have a continual flow of life giving, refreshing living water in my life, that will never run dry or stagnate. :)

About your future?

I have a future with my living God who will continually refresh me anew with his living waters of life. :)

That He is always there to meet my needs. He is Eternal. God is only a breath away and I only have to call out His name and He will answer. No matter what goes on in our lives all we have to do is go to the BOOK with the answers and have the comfort of knowing that it holds the answer. Everything is there and I only need to search for the nuggets that are placed at my disposal and meditate on what God's will is for my life. My hope is in the Lord, I will never be thirsty, if I am obedient and I will spend eternity with Him. PRAISE THE NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES!!!! He will make a way when there is no way..

To the Hebrews living water, such as a river, represented a place of purification. This became a chance to be cleansed, refreshed, renewed. To have the Living Water dwelling within through the person of the Holy Spirit means daily purification, a constant change through purging, cleansing and renewal.

This tells me that our God is continually present and working within the believer to bring us to the point of holiness, as only He can make us holy.

I thirst for the Living Water, knowing that when I receive this blessed gift, I will thirst no more. My worldy desires will be quenched, my search for carnal satisfaction passing day by day.

With certainty I can say that as long as I continue to drink of His Living Water my future will be assured. My future in the presence of His glory.

• 2 months later...