JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Christ "gave himself up" for the Church

God commitment to Church is so great that He give up His and only Son Jesus Christ to die on thecross because of the sin of the world , this shows that the sacrifice was altruistic on self-serving.

• 6 months later...

Christ died for the church. He purified His people through His death and He continues to show us deep and abiding love every day. God is deeply commited to us. He never leaves us or forsakes us and He is always there to shield us and to give us peace. He is still commited to our sanctification and though He accepts us "as is" He is not content to leave us that way! He is commited to present us as a bride in beauty, pure and spotlessly radiant to our bride groom.

I don't know about the sacrifice being selfless or self serving or both. That could get complex. He did die for us selflessly, but everything is always done for HIS glory....so I don't know :huh: .....I need help on that one!

• 7 months later...
Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both? Exposition

Christ willingly gave His life for us and He did it because He loved us. As for God's commitment to us it is unreal and impossible to put in words. He gave the most precious thing possible to save us - His son Jesus. If He was willing to give the most precious thing He had for me then I would say that is an ultimate commitment. Commitment is something few people seem to know much about. People get married and then divorce in a year. They get a job and quit before they even finish their orientation. They go to college and quit in the 1st semester. God is not that way. He is in it for the long haul. He will NEVER leave us nor forsake us. I dont know about everyone else but thats a concept I have trouble trying to understand.

His sacrifice was both. He gave Jesus for us because He loves us. But He also wanted to repair the breech that had been created by sin. He wanted to reconcile us to Himself so we could have a relationship with HIM and HIM with us.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church?

It means that Christ came to earth, leaving His divine position in Heaven to live among men as a human divorced of His divine powers. He was beaten, he suffered, bled and was crucified for the Church.

What does this teach us about God's commitment to us?

It says that He has done everything there is to be done for the Church.

Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

Christ "gave Himself up" because He loves us and gave his life so that we might have eternal life.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

Jesus gave up His life on the cross, in obediance to the Father, as a sacrifice for the sins of both Jews and Gentiles. For the universal forgiveness of sin so that all of humanity could have followship with the Living God -- Creator. God created the unique entity known as the church which blended Jews and Gentiles together in Jesus Christ. Out of Jesus Christ a totally new creation of mankind entered history -- the Christian. God has used the church for the last two thousand years to preach the gospel and spread the Kingdom of God on this planet.

Jesus gave Himself up for the Church as a sin sacrifice and as an example of everything He taught while walking among men.

God is committed to having a relationship with men and women who seek Him and respond to His open invitation. This invitation is Jesus Christ. The sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross was everything. It served God's purposes and benefits humanity. Of course, God's purposes are working to create human-beings who want to live a higher purpose and in cooperation with the Creator of the Universe.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

Christ gave up/sacrificed his all and all, his very human being/existence for us/me. (I'm sorry it means more to me if I keep it personal.) I can remember sitting on the fence (being "lukewarm") when it hit me one day just how much Christ did give up for me. Not just Christ but God too. The idea that He gave "his only begotten son" for me was heart-wrenching. I have children and the thought that if God were to ask me for one of them the way He did Abraham was a bridge that I never wanted to cross. But yet God did just that for me. That was what made me get off the fence, stop being wishy-washy and rethink just what my commitment to God was supposed to be about.

For me this sacrifice was altruistic. It is God's desire that none should perish. He gave His Son so that we all can have the opportunity to live forever with Him. On the flip-side, my first thought about self-serving was that it implies selfishness which is something that God could never be. But then I thought about how as a believer it is my responsibility to spread the Good News. It brings to mind our Sunday School lesson a few weeks ago...."the harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few," think about it...God himself is not down here preaching/teaching about His Goodness, that is what we do...can that be called self-serving? (I am going to stop, I don't want to ramble.)

• 4 months later...

Christ died for us and rose again in order for us to be able to chose eternal life and a relationship with God. Christ's giving up His life was done as an obedient Son and a loving Son who knew that only He could pay the price for our sins and only He could satisfy the will of His Father. We learn from this ONE act that there is no greater Love than the Love of God in Christ Jesus.

God loves us so much He was willing to suffer the death of His Son in order to give us eternal life. Even the knowledge of His impending resurrection could not possibly sooth the ache of His Son's suffering and death. Obedience and love seemed to propel Jesus to the cross for who could live and die such a horrible death for another that He did not love and desire to know more? Jesus demonstrated in suffering, dying and rising that we all are valuable and lovable in God's sight!

• 1 year later...

(Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...." (5:25)

Christ gave up his place in Glory, to come to earth as a man and then to die for us as a perfect sacrifice. His love for us was self-less and totally for us. This shows us how much God loves us. It is great and powerful. It is agape love.

• 10 months later...

Christ gave Himself up as an atoning sacrifice for us. He gave everything including His very life. His commitment to us was 100% and still is. He would have done anything to redeem us and He did.

This was a perfect selfless act of love....for us.

All power, glory and honor to Him....now and forever.

Let's pray in gratitude, thanking Him for all He has done.....

It's very humbling to remember how much He loves us.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both? Exposition

It means that He died for us.

That He's very committed.

This was altruistic and self-serving; but in Christ those words are just the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Christ was not forced to give His life for us. He gave His life for us because He was compelled by love for those His Father had elected for salvation. His sacrifice was altruistic in the sense that He gave up His rightful place in glory to redeem us. His main interest was to please and bring glory to His Father. I don't think I'd call that self-serving, but another aspect of His altruistic nature.

• 2 months later...

2a)Christ sacrificed his life on the cross for our freedom from sin.

B)It is total for one and all,self-giving &God obeys His own laws Gen2:24 leaves father/mother &joins his bride, as Jesus did upon death/resurrection becoming one with his bride the church.

C)Altruistic- unselfish concern for the welfare of others. God created man for fellowship with himself, sin broke that relationship, the cross bridgd the gap.Selflesssness-The sacrifice was made out of love for us &so the church us could be saved &formed. Now cleansed washed clean by his blood, we are standing in place of priviledge by His side

• 2 weeks later...

a. He gave up heaven to come to earth to die for us. What a great sacrifice.

b. His committment to us was and is total. Loving and forgiving, suffering and dying so that we might have a life in heaven with Him.

c.Both. Altruistic because it was done, at great personal cost, for others good. Self-serving in a way because we belong to Him, and He wants and expects and deserves to be worshipped by us. He wants us with Him eternally.

• 3 weeks later...

The meaning of that Christ “gave himself up” for the Church is that he died on the Cross for us and gave himself for our sins. This teaches us that God gave us his son and I don’t know of anybody that would do that for a bunch of sinner. So He more commitment to us than I will ever understand.

This sacrifice was an altruistic because He had nothing to gain for this commitment except to make it so that we could be with Him in eternity.

• 3 years later...

Christ died on the cross for the church. He could have chosen not to die as God the Father had requested of Him. God is committed to us. He wanted to make sure that we were able to enter into heaven. I feel that this sacrifice was very altruistic. Christ did not benefit at all b His death on the cross. He did it all for us.

• 2 months later...

Christ gave himself up for the church is explained by Paul in verse 26. he writes that Christ gave himself to make the church holy or to sanctify her. this is such an amazing thing but Christ - God loved the world so much and the people in the worldthat he gave himself up for those who love them. this is such a promise that it is almost too good to be true but we have the Word of God that it is true. glory be to God.

• 5 years later...

What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the churchp? Was this a altruistic or self service orboth.

Christ showed His love to us and died for us on the cross. Now we have redemption through His blood and the forgiveness of sins.He made peace through the blood of His cross.